planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm 

Fine by me, the more she appears on our screens the better...

:]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Almost like she knows someone at the top of the company.

Wolff wasn't involved. He wasn't at the table when the board discussed it.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:56 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
It's a straight line test. No biggie.

But if your tiddled about that you are going to be well tiddled off when she starts driving on Fridays.

I doubt that would ever happen

I wouldn't be surprised, there was talk last year of her taking Bottas seat if he moved up a step and then of course she's dropped DTM. Bernies also dropped favourably comments. So I sure wouldn't bet against it.

It would be quite embarassing though, if you're going to put a woman in a F1 car put one in that won't be laughed at

With people like you and some of the others in this thread around that is always going to happen I'm afraid.

Just let her get on with it. She's not offending anyone, she's just doing a simple shakedown. Some of you guys make it seem like she's replacing Alonso for the entire year, not that would be silly.

The talk was of Friday testing not simple shake down work

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:59 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
It would be quite embarassing though, if you're going to put a woman in a F1 car put one in that won't be laughed at

How do you know it would be embarrassing? Got a crystal ball?

She hasn't done a timed lap in one and you reckon it would be embarrassing :uhoh: Supposedly her times in the sim etc are ok and She kept it on the tarmac when she took one out around Silverstone last year which is probably better than most folk on here could manage.

I guess it depends on how many seconds off the pace is considered to be embarassing?

How do you know she would be seconds off the pace?

Because she is nowhere near F1 standard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:02 pm 

pokerman wrote:

She may be ok test driver. Luca Baoder wasn't amazing race driver in 2009 or eralier, but he must have been really good test driver as he had that role at Scuderia Ferrari for over 10 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 pm 

Adaemus wrote:

I have to agree.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

She may be ok test driver. Luca Baoder wasn't amazing race driver in 2009 or eralier, but he must have been really good test driver as he had that role at Scuderia Ferrari for over 10 years.

Luca Badoer was European F3000 champion, equivalent of GP2 nowadays

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm 

pokerman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Doesn't mean a thing when you get to F1. Only one F3000 champion ever won an F1 race, Montoya.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:26 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Doesn't mean a thing when you get to F1. Only one F3000 champion ever won an F1 race, Montoya.

It sort of proves the case against Susie Wolff, someone who achieved less in single seaters and nothing in DTM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:42 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It sort of proves the case against Susie Wolff, someone who achieved less in single seaters and nothing in DTM

Mark Webber never won a championship before F1. Kamui Kobyashi was dreadful in GP2 in 2009. He didn't do too bad in F1. Raikkonen only ever did FRenault UK and did fine. I'm not saying she'd be on their level but lower formulae form doesn't always translate into F1, either positively or negatively. Some F3000/GP2 champions just couldn't hack it in F1, some who didn't do so well in either did very well in F1.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:56 pm 

Kobayashi won GP2 Asia
Webber was F3000 runner up.
Raikkonen Blitzed FR2000 winning 7/10 races.

Wolff hasn't won anything and hasn't been close to being competitive in any series since finishing 5th in FRUK nearly a decade ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:01 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Kobayashi won GP2 Asia

Wolff hasn't won anything and hasn't been close to being competitive in any series since finishing 5th in FRUK nearly a decade ago.

Kobayashi was rubbish in GP2 proper though. Showed no merits for an F1 seat at all. That's my point.

But still everyone here is judging her without having seen her in an F1 car in anger which is utterly pointless. Who knows what she could do. I don't think we'll ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Don't forget Alesi and Panis. I agree with the sentiment though and I have said for years that the very best drivers usually get picked up before they get to the GP2/f3000 level. Hamilton being the obvious exception to the rule.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 am 

Laura23 wrote:
huggybear wrote:
Colinjb wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:
A shakedown just makes sure all the wires are connected and it isn't going to go *kaboom* if the race drivers apply the throttle slightly. If Suzie Wolff gets a little exposure, then good on her. There's been worse drivers given a race seat.

Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Giovanni Lavaggi
Yuji Ide
Ricardo Rossett

In fairness, Toto Wolff's money will be helping significantly.

Chanoch Nissany, Jean Denis Delatraz as well. Tempted to say Domenico Schiattarella, but only remember him from the F195 game.

Throw in any number of the rubbish one off drivers who appeared throughout the 70s too.

I don't see Wolff being any worse than a Baumgartner or a Friesacher either. I wonder if people are only freaking out because she's not a man. Just because she doesn't have a pair of actual bollocks doesn't mean she's any worse than any other pay driver we have ever seen.

Not true, something about the weight distribution on the human body and it's relationship with physics in a Formula One car apparently.

But seriously, it is just a shakedown, not a full test she is doing, don't really understand some of the hysteria on here about Williams losing their way.

The underlying thing about all this,no matter how bright you are,no matter how logical one is or how much money one has,you have to be a completely stupid optimist...I believe there are about 3 million competition licences worldwide. -Perry McCarthy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:32 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Toby. wrote:
A shakedown just makes sure all the wires are connected and it isn't going to go *kaboom* if the race drivers apply the throttle slightly. If Suzie Wolff gets a little exposure, then good on her. There's been worse drivers given a race seat.

Such as?

Paul Belmondo

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 am 

Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dizlexik wrote:

Mark Webber never won a championship before F1. Kamui Kobyashi was dreadful in GP2 in 2009. He didn't do too bad in F1. Raikkonen only ever did FRenault UK and did fine. I'm not saying she'd be on their level but lower formulae form doesn't always translate into F1, either positively or negatively. Some F3000/GP2 champions just couldn't hack it in F1, some who didn't do so well in either did very well in F1.

Their records are all better than hers though even the ones who couldn't hack F1, its no good putting a woman into F1 if she's not good enough, doing it purely for the publicity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:45 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Kobayashi won GP2 Asia

Kobayashi was rubbish in GP2 proper though. Showed no merits for an F1 seat at all. That's my point.

But still everyone here is judging her without having seen her in an F1 car in anger which is utterly pointless. Who knows what she could do. I don't think we'll ever know.

If she was really any good she would get a chance given her connections

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:54 am 

Definately not because she's affiliated with someone high up in the company. P...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:55 am 

froze wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

I have to agree.

Lol she just wants attention. What a joke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 am 

You know, i would like to see Sabine Schmitz driving a car :)

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 pm 

Johnston wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Imo, though an attempt at fairness, you probably still want to appease Wolff regardless of his presence in the actual discussion or not. I do not believe she'd have got this gig without that strong link. I have no factual proof of this, I admit, but I do believe it.

Edit: Which is not to belittle her, I just think someone better qualified might have gotten the gig otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:50 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:

Good call, I'd like to see that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:08 pm 

I think fair play to her, I read somthing on the Internet (can't remember where) that she gives pretty decent feedback from her sessions in the simulator, so surely the more time she spends in the actual car that she would be driving in the simulator then her feedback will only get better, therefore possibly better development for this seasons car.

Personally I would like to see her drive the Friday practice session every so often as it would get her more time in the car for her simulator work, also the Williams garage in the practice session would more than likely be filled with press as a female driver is getting to drive at a Grand Prix weekend for the first time in years (not sure how many years it has been since the last woman drove at a Gand prix weekend), the more press coverage they would get for her driving for the more sponsors williams could get (theoretically) and therefore more sponsorship to develop the car.

Also who knows how she would fair driving the car in a practice session, she might actually be half decent and not be too far of the lap times of the regular williams drivers.

So all I'm saying is give her a chance, she might surprise you but it seems like everyone here has already decided that she doesn't even deserve a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:41 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Johnston wrote:
mac_d wrote:

Imo, though an attempt at fairness, you probably still want to appease Wolff regardless of his presence in the actual discussion or not. I do not believe she'd have got this gig without that strong link. I have no factual proof of this, I admit, but I do believe it.

Edit: Which is not to belittle her, I just think someone better qualified might have gotten the gig otherwise.

When she first got involved with Williams I'm not sure he was involved. I think she was actually a development driver before Toto got involved with the team. He was just involved when they effectively promoted her and now he's not involved at allso they don't need to appease him.

Regardless she's been doing the sim since '09 took out an older car around Silverstone, if she couldn't handle it she wouldn't be doing straight line testing and if she can handle taking a car around Silverstone I'm sure she can handle a straight line test.

Fair play to her I say. I've met some quick women and they've all come across the same barrier. It might not be obvious in your face stuff but the sexism is there when it comes to finances etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:48 pm 

Johnston wrote:
mac_d wrote:
Johnston wrote:
mac_d wrote:

When she first got involved with Williams I'm not sure he was involved. I think she was actually a development driver before Toto got involved with the team. He was just involved when they effectively promoted her and now he's not involved at allso they don't need to appease him.

Regardless she's been doing the sim since '09 took out an older car around Silverstone, if she couldn't handle it she wouldn't be doing straight line testing and if she can handle taking a car around Silverstone I'm sure she can handle a straight line test.

Fair play to her I say. I've met some quick women and they've all come across the same barrier. It might not be obvious in your face stuff but the sexism is there when it comes to finances etc.

I thought the opposite might be true, finding a sucessful female race driver is a potential gold mine, Danica Patrick is proof of that

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:58 pm 

If Williams had given the shakedown test to a male driver there wouldn't even be a thread about it on PF1, even if it was the return of Nissany himself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:59 pm 

One must wonder how many of the criticisms of Wolff found here are based off of numbers on her Wikipedia page.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

Fishy wrote:
froze wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

I have to agree.

Lol she just wants attention. What a joke

I agree, what a joke! Just like these two attention-seeking whores!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

froze wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

I have to agree.

:o Yeah she looks like the right person for the shakedown i mean job.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

I thought that instead of complaining because someone with a vagina will be driving an F1 car on a bloody shakedown test, you'd think motorsport fans would be up in arms about the near-death of the British F3 championship. You know, the hallowed championship that all the F1 greats have competed in? that will only consist of 4 rounds in 2013 - two of them on the continent?

But then I remembered that most of the people on PF1 are not actually motorsport fans...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm 

Grosjean wrote:
this is the most ridiculous news i have ever heard , a backmarker in DTM who finishes last or second to last every weekend is going to shakedown the new car for a team like Williams !!! , what happened to Logic in F1

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2898 ... e-in-2013/

it's the first day right? it's not like they are going to be doing in depth things,i believe it's all about making sure everything works in the car and she maybe a backmarker but isn't she a professional race car driver and part of the Williams team? what is the problem here?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:17 pm 

Toby. wrote:
One must wonder how many of the criticisms of Wolff found here are based off of numbers on her Wikipedia page.

You mean her two point scoring finished in 5 years of DTM? :P
I think DTM success is irrelevant... look at Paul Di Resta... DTM Champion, relatively anonymous in F1 for the most part. Success or struggles in one series doesn't translate equally to another series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Just because she doesn't have a pair of actual bollocks doesn't mean she's any worse than any other pay driver we have ever seen.

No, of course not. Her totally unremarkable record speaks for that.

And comparing her to the worst drivers in previous decades is stupid. The level of talent in F1 is improving all the time (pay driver issue aside), so to compare her to, say, the worst driver on the grid 40 bloody years ago is retarded.

It's pretty clear that she's not good enough to get a full time drive. Williams will not let her drive on Fridays. Maldonado's millions wouldn't allow it and denying Bottas mileage would be lunacy.

Call me sexist, I really don't care - it's blindingly obvious, for anyone willing to see it, that she's in F1 purely because she's female and Toto's wife. Discrimination can work both ways. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:05 pm 

mccormickja wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Just because she doesn't have a pair of actual bollocks doesn't mean she's any worse than any other pay driver we have ever seen.

And comparing her to the worst drivers in previous decades is stupid. The level of talent in F1 is improving all the time (pay driver issue aside), so to compare her to, say, the worst driver on the grid 40 bloody years ago is retarded.

It's pretty clear that she's not good enough to get a full time drive. Williams will not let her drive on Fridays. Maldonado's millions wouldn't allow it and denying Bottas mileage would be lunacy.

Call me sexist, I really don't care - it's blindingly obvious, for anyone willing to see it, that she's in F1 purely because she's female and Toto's wife. Discrimination can work both ways. :)

I can't help but agree with this..

You can say she was with a lower Merc team in DTM but the fact is that her teammates were scoring points/podiums while she could barely break the top 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 pm 

mccormickja wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

How do you know? They were talking about her replacing Bottas as the Friday driver if he got promoted.

She wasn't Totos wife when she first started working for Williams and driving the Sim . She was still Susie Stoddart then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:16 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

Good call, I'd like to see that.

Who knows how good she is but there's a huge difference between an F1 driver and a merely good racing driver.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:19 pm 

pyratheon141 wrote:
I can't help but agree with this..

You can say she was with a lower Merc team in DTM but the fact is that her teammates were scoring points/podiums while she could barely break the top 10

Except they didn't look at the 2012 results for starters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_DTM_season

Her team mate was

Roberto Merhi

2011 Christian Vietoris

Got one points finish (5th)

2010 she beat Congfu Cheng.

And Jamie green was the only team mate in the last 3 years to get on the podium.

2009 Mathias Lauda beat her by a whole massive one point her other team mate was Paffit.

So two team mates in 5 years got on the podium :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:20 pm 

Johnston wrote:
mccormickja wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

How do you know? They were talking about her replacing Bottas as the Friday driver if he got promoted.

She wasn't Totos wife when she first started working for Williams and driving the Sim . She was still Susie Stoddart then.

Why would Williams do that. Bottas has the potential to be a top, top driver. He's 23 and has shown huge promise.

Wolff is 28/29 and has a frankly dire track record (pun?).

So your argument is that, because she hadn't married Wolff but that stage, he had no influence on her getting into the team? Brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:22 pm 

vince14 wrote:
I thought that instead of complaining because someone with a vagina will be driving an F1 car on a bloody shakedown test, you'd think motorsport fans would be up in arms about the near-death of the British F3 championship. You know, the hallowed championship that all the F1 greats have competed in? that will only consist of 4 rounds in 2013 - two of them on the continent?

But then I remembered that most of the people on PF1 are not actually motorsport fans...

I guess its just a commercial reality, there's far more series competing for drivers than in the past and British F3 has simply slipped down the order of importance hence the poor turnout last season

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:24 pm 

mccormickja wrote:

Why would Williams do that. Bottas has the potential to be a top, top driver. He's 23 and has shown huge promise.

Wolff is 28/29 and has a frankly dire track record (pun?).

So your argument is that, because she hadn't married Wolff but that stage, he had no influence on her getting into the team? Brilliant.

Back when she started with the team , from what I can gather Toto wasn't part of Williams .

If he wasn't part and stood down from the board when her name was involved when he was part of Williams how can it be down to him?

Nevermind that he holds a minority share. Is now silent so no longer has a say on any issues so they could drop her if they wished.

Why would Williams do that? Ask them they have 3 years of her info from the Sim more than us.

Last edited by Johnston on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.