planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Will Vettel win his 4th WDC this year, what you think?
Yes 55%  55%  [ 88 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 73 ]
Total votes : 161
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 am 

McLaren lost Hamilton and Hamilton lost McLaren, I don't see either of those two getting championships for 2013.

Ferrari seemed slow in the last handful of races. Their development dropped off while others gained.

RedBull was not to be reckoned with in the last couple of races.

I think RedBull will still be on pace for top three easily right off the gate.

Alonso is going to have to win a lot and early because we all have seen RedBull having a monster of a car in the later races every single year.

If Alonso isn't leading the championship handily half way through the season, there's no way for Ferrari to win it.

Seems like RedBull likes to hold their bag of tricks for the end of the year. Maybe it's because other teams won't have enough time to copy it or maybe even so the FIA won't have enough time to question it. But it happens every year.

I predict Vettel to win his 4th championship in 10 months time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 am 

Will the Renault engine produce more power in 2013? (compared to its competitors?)

Come to think of it....are there any significant inter-season engine developments these days like there was in the past?

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 am 

purchville wrote:
Come to think of it....are there any significant inter-season engine developments these days like there was in the past?

Engine development has been frozen, so you can't change them except for cases wherein it would be damaging to the engine itself to keep it running at its current specification.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 am 

Though I'm a Vettel fan, I think it would be nice to see a new champion this year.
I'm definitely rooting for Kimi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:00 am 

I am hoping he does - that would be fantastic. Kimi doing it would also be fantastic.

But it is racing and Webber, Perez and Button will be stiff competition - the Macca was as fast as the Red Bull - just less reliable, so unless they muck it up over there again, that should be very close racing. In addition, I foresee Lotus stepping it up which will mean tough competition from Kimi (if Grosjean gets it together, count him in too). Then there is Ferrari - assuming they step it up Alonso will be in it and possibly Massa as well if Ferrari allow him to race. Mercedes is the dark horse - Nico and Lewis could be right in there too if they manage to get it together AND keep it together, i.e., keep up with the other constructors.

So loads of potential competition and it is the nature of the sport that you cannot predict outcomes. Still, Vettel will be in it to win it and never give up, so looking forward to some great racing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:24 am 

BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Surprised so many people can't see beyond Vettel. Mclaren had a quicker car last year if they fix there reliability and competition issues then you have to fancy Button. Also Alonso very nearly took the tittle last year in an inferior car. if the Ferrari is any closer to the Red Bull in 2013 you have to fancy Fernando for the tittle.

Button will have to improve alot to be a genuine contender! Far too inconsistent last season

Agree but we know that when things are going well he has a tittle in him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
BrazilLastCorner2008 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Surprised so many people can't see beyond Vettel. Mclaren had a quicker car last year if they fix there reliability and competition issues then you have to fancy Button. Also Alonso very nearly took the tittle last year in an inferior car. if the Ferrari is any closer to the Red Bull in 2013 you have to fancy Fernando for the tittle.

Button will have to improve alot to be a genuine contender! Far too inconsistent last season

Agree but we know that when things are going well he has a tittle in him.

Hehe, tittle. :lol:
I love that word.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am 

Toby. wrote:
purchville wrote:

Engine development has been frozen, so you can't change them except for cases wherein it would be damaging to the engine itself to keep it running at its current specification.

That's a real shame...I know there are cost pressures but it's pretty much anti the rest of F1 history

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:01 am 

2010 - close title fight ( rule and reg X )
2011 - dominated ( rule ad reg similar to X)
2012 - close title fight ( rule and reg Y )
2013 - ___________? ( rule and reg similar to Y )

I hope Vettel doesn't win 2013 nor 2014, 2015 i dont care

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 am 

Well knowing how much it would upset the haters (mostly Alonso/Lewis fans) I wouldn't mind it at all but for the good of the sport it'd be nice if someone would be able to beat him to the title next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:54 am 

Highly likely because when Newey gets on a roll he can dominate for a decade, as he did in the 90s. Its already bad enough a driver like Vettel, has won 3 titles in a row, as its really under minded many great champions, who never had the luxuries of Vettel, like the fastest car for almost his entire career. Luckily the real experts in the sport realise greatness is much more than just statistics, and Vettel will never be a legend until he proves himself in inferior machinery or against a great team mate rather than beating a 36 year old journeyman.

Its such a misjustice that he has had so much success. The most spoilt driver in history. Hopefully Ferrari have learned to design a proper F1 car finally, and its at least close to the redbull because Alonso will do the rest easily.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 am 

Please no, for the sake of this little interst in F1 I still have ;-)

Joking aside, I cretainly hope not, but must admit it's quite possible. Voted no though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 pm 

Personally I think a better question would be, will Vettel win 6 consecutive titles or 7?
:nod:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:51 am 

Every domination ends one time, I believe we will see a new WDC this year. The McLaren have caught the Red Bull alst year and will pass this I believe, so either Button or Perez.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:37 pm 

Its going to be very difficult as good as Vettel and Red Bull are Ferrari and Mclaren a poised to put up a stronger year. And you cant count out Lotus/Raikkonen and Mercedes/Hamilton they will win more races than last year. Ultimately im expecting a 5 car challenge for race wins for the most part this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 pm 

It all depends on how fast Vettel's car is in relation to the others. Same goes for the other drivers. The top drivers are so consistently competitive, but if their cars are off-pace they can do little about it. Not even Alonso's brilliance could overcome those two tenths or so that his car was off the Red Bull's speed in 2012.

Any one of Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel could win, dependent on car. We'll have to see how good Rosberg and Raikkonen are: are they in the top class, or are they with Webber, Button in the number two class?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
Personally I think a better question would be, will Vettel win 6 consecutive titles or 7?
:nod:

This would not depend much on Vettel, but more on his team staying the same and the car being fastest. As it was with Schumacher at Ferrari; had Michael moved to another team in the years 2000 to 2006 he'd not have won all those championships.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 am 

I would say a 4th title is where the safe money is.

Red Bull are the team most likely on previous years form to have either the best car or one of the best cars, and they have a elite driver in Vettel to get the results.

I would say the most likely to upset the apple cart is still Alonso. It just depends on what what Ferrari give him. Kimi and Jenson are outside bets. Lewis won't have the car and Perez I do not think is ready just yet.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 am 

No title for RedBull this season, IMO title fight will be between Ferrari and McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:00 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Well knowing how much it would upset the haters (mostly Alonso/Lewis fans) I wouldn't mind it at all but for the good of the sport it'd be nice if someone would be able to beat him to the title next year.

Hehe.. I'm an Alonso fan but I'm not crying in my beer because a better driver won ;) But agree, haters/sore losers, I hope their drivers go on for many more years without any championships :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:21 pm 

specdecible wrote:
Nope, this is going to be Marks year.

This did initially made me laugh, but i wouldn't be surprised if Mark beats him this year as he has been very close all over (except 2011).

I don't think Vettel will be WDC this year.

Button/Mclaren: they have gone very aggressive with their car this year so they will either be a match for the best or will lose significantly. I think Button has the best chance this year.

Alonso/Ferrari: Evolution of last year's car which was not near the best really, but with ultimate Ferrari support and Alonso's skill he could do it. I just don't see it.

Kimi: Lotus should have a race winner this year and both drivers are capable of winning and being WDC, i am afraid that the top guys have made more of a step forward with their designs though.

Hamilton and Rosberg: the best they can hope for is race wins IMHO.

Sauber: Don't know why but after seeing their reveal i suspect Sauber will be the 4th/5th best team this year and may even end up with a tittle challenger. and IMHO i think Hulk can do it.

I see it this year as a Mclaren, RBR, Ferrari fight. "support" drivers will play a bigger role this year though. I'd be unpleasantly surprised if Vettel walks it this year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 pm 

I'd take a Hulk title challenge if I can't have a Hamilton title challenge... anything but Vettel winning another! He may still race at the front to make it exciting though, if only to lose at the final round.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm 

viariani wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Hehe.. I'm an Alonso fan but I'm not crying in my beer because a better driver won ;) But agree, haters/sore losers, I hope their drivers go on for many more years without any championships :twisted:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:00 pm 

I think a Mclaren will take it this year

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:57 pm 

I hope it comes down to the last race where 3 or 4 guys will be in the running. Got a strong hunch these drivers will be Vettel, Webber, Alonso and Raikkonen.

1 day you may

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm 

Vettel will only win if his car is 0.1% to 0.2% faster than the cars of Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen.

One of my first rookie posts on this Forum was "The car is most important." Assuming the driver is good enough, the car/team are crucial. According to my ratings system, top drivers' performances hardly vary season-to-season when in their prime. Which is why most depends on the car/team.

I voted for Vettel in the Op's poll. But this is pure guesswork on my part. I haven't a clue as to how the 2013 cars will compare. Good question to spark discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 am 

its hard to imagine where his competition will come from this season, i cant see Ferrari being strong enough, perhaps Kimi if the lotus is good

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 am 

Probably. They've had the best car for years, just reliability problems in 10 and 12

Next year with new engines and regs maybe someone else will get a chance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:17 am 

POBRatings wrote:
Vettel will only win if his car is 0.1% to 0.2% faster than the cars of Alonso, Hamilton and Raikkonen.

There is no simple answer - although one would like to think so. His car can be .5% faster than everyone else on the track, but if it isn't reliable, then...

Quote:
One of my first rookie posts on this Forum was "The car is most important." Assuming the driver is good enough, the car/team are crucial. According to my ratings system, top drivers' performances hardly vary season-to-season when in their prime. Which is why most depends on the car/team.

it is 50% car and 50% driver; neither is most important. The car's 50% is less dependable (in terms of consistency) than a top driver's 50% because a car is recreated every year and modified throughout the season. That doesn't make it more important though...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:28 am 

I expect a close battle between Alonso, Vettel and both McLarens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm 

I don't really give a toss who wins - so long as it is via some close racing. After all, it's all very well being a fanboy or fangirl of some driver/team or other - but surely even such fanatics don't want to see a runaway type championship? (I mean, the Brawn WCC was hardly very exciting to watch now was it? - even with the closing up of the other teams in the latter part of the season)
I dunno about other folk - but all I want to see is close, hard racing, preferably lasting the whole season, and preferably being ultimately decided by the driver skills rather than the 'car' or it's development. The actual chequered flag position is not too important to me - I watch for the on track racing and if I've seen some real 'racing', overtaking, etc - then I'm a happy bunny!

FWIW, I would probably prefer someone else to win other than Vettel - as I still have slight reservations about his 'completeness' as a top driver (always having a competitive car, etc) but I do actually like Vettel himself, and if he has to properly race to get his 4th championship, then I'll still be appreciative. I really don't think Webber can do it, or Perez or Massa or RG (all have poor consistency) - so, on the assumption the Merc is not up there - that only really leaves Kimi, Button and Alonso as real potential challengers due to them at least having said consistency (reliability issues excepted).......

If I could wave a magic wand - I'd have all the cars within about a tenth of each other on actual pace - and then sit back and watch to see how the drivers and teams use their skills to get to the front in each race! It's the wheel to wheel racing that provides the main appeal of the sport (IMHO) and it is that I want to see...
just sayin.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm 

This poll is a bit black & white. Where is the "I hope not" or similar option. I voted yes cause there is a greater chance of him winning it than not winning it but I would have preferred more options :-P. I do love the way that the OP states that if Alonso is not leading the championship by mid way thru the season than Ferrari haven't got a hope. No if or but or even a maybe. It must be nice to have a crystal ball that tells you that, if this is the case, all other teams that are in front of them at the time will have a faultless second half of the season :D

Last edited by DrG on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm 

i hope not as ive got 20 quid on button! i doubt bernie has finished the 2013 script yet anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 pm 

Lewis will go into meltdown if button were to win the wdc..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 pm 

as would every f1 forum lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm 

Ev0lutionz wrote:
Lewis will go into meltdown if button were to win the wdc..

Why? I can't imagine they are bosom buddies, but Hamilton knew he was leaving a top team for a weaker one - so as far as I can imagine he would be pleased if JB won, especially since he obviously begrudges SV's run of competitive cars!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm 

FringeUK wrote:
Why? I can't imagine they are bosom buddies, but Hamilton knew he was leaving a top team for a weaker one - so as far as I can imagine he would be pleased if JB won, especially since he obviously begrudges SV's run of competitive cars!

He knew he went to a weaker team, but he also knew he parted with a team where too much has gone wrong for him the last few years.
I'm pretty sure, that in the event everything now goes buttery smooth for Button and he becomes WDC, Hamilton will not be a happy man.