planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:06 am 

I very much prefer the 2008 layout especially when playing f1 06 on the ps3. Which layout do you guys prefer?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 am 

I actually prefer the current layout. The new layout was part of the upgrade that included the new pit complex, I believe it was redesigned more with MotoGP in mind as Silverstone had lost the right to host the British GP to Donington at that stage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 am 

Ill always prefer the layout as it was before the changes were made, but the new one isn't bad. I wouldn't say it was great though, it could be better. Overtaking wise it hasn't done its job so far, I believe further changes are required.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:29 am 

I don't mind the layouts, both are fine. But i dislike the current start/finish line position, it is just meters right after the last chicane and a fast sweep corner where in race, driver charging from behind couldn't have enough time to try the last maneuver before checkered flag. I prefer the older one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am 

I prefer the current layout myself
Edit. Mind you I was just remembering the days I used to stand at bridge it was awesome to watch an F1 car go through there flat out

Last edited by A2jdl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am 

Meh not a fan of Silverstone. It always comes across as a poorly planned track.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am 

The newer layout doesn't seem to flow quite as well for me, plus the track is longer now, so there are less laps so less cars going past if you're at the circuit. I also really miss Bridge, that was an epic corner in a high downforce car although I do prefer Brooklands with the shallower entry.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm 

The track was changed when Silverstone got the MotoGP contract because it was too dangerous for bikes to go under the bridge at Bridge. The bridge on the Wellington Straight is not as dangerous, presumably because there is more space and it is not near a corner.

The new track doesn't flow as well as the old layout, however the new complex enables better overtaking opportunities in the village/loop section. My main issue with the new track is that Copse is now just a corner in the middle of the track - although the new Abbey corner is similar to Copse so the first corner is similarish. However, the new facilities are a vast improvement over what Silverstone used to have and now means Bernie can't keep banging on about how primitive Silverstone is.

The races since the new layout have been far more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The track was changed when Silverstone got the MotoGP contract because it was too dangerous for bikes to go under the bridge at Bridge. The bridge on the Wellington Straight is not as dangerous, presumably because there is more space and it is not near a corner.

The new track doesn't flow as well as the old layout, however the new complex enables better overtaking opportunities in the village/loop section. My main issue with the new track is that Copse is now just a corner in the middle of the track - although the new Abbey corner is similar to Copse so the first corner is similarish. However, the new facilities are a vast improvement over what Silverstone used to have and now means Bernie can't keep banging on about how primitive Silverstone is.

The races since the new layout have been far more interesting.

Yes he can!!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm 

The older the better. Every change applied to Silverstone made it worse. The last one is worse ever. I have headache as to where is the finish line, expecting it to be in its historic place, and now it's elsewhere. As if in some strange bad dream.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm 

Much prefer the new layout, it added a few overtaking opportunities that I think the circuit lacked before hand.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
The older the better. Every change applied to Silverstone made it worse. The last one is worse ever. I have headache as to where is the finish line, expecting it to be in its historic place, and now it's elsewhere. As if in some strange bad dream.

I did once hear (can't find a source to back this up) that technically a race circuit is in the county it's start/finish line is, so technically since 2010 Silverstone circuit is now in Buckinghamshire!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

The new finish line confuses me aswell, it doesn't feel right where it is. I always liked it after Luffield and Woodcote, it has a nice flow, the new finish is like stop - turn - stop -turn - finish, just seems weird.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 am 

Ja'a wrote:
I don't mind the layouts, both are fine. But i dislike the current start/finish line position, it is just meters right after the last chicane and a fast sweep corner where in race, driver charging from behind couldn't have enough time to try the last maneuver before checkered flag. I prefer the older one.
Are you forgetting Lewis and Felipe back in 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmK8BgEOauI

Personally I do like the new layout. Still remember Keke Rosberg setting a 160mph lap (back in 1985 if I recall correctly) on the ols layout but the evolution of the circuit has suited the evolution of the cars / regulations in my opinion.

... oh, and it also makes for great bike racing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am 

RickM wrote:
Meh not a fan of Silverstone. It always comes across as a poorly planned track.

Probably has something to do with the fact that it wasn't really planned at all?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 am 

I prefer the current layout. Yes we've lost Bridge which was a superb corner but I think the new Abbey bend is a good replacement. Having been in the both the old paddock and the new one I can see why the changes needed to be made; the new paddock is such a vast improvement and makes Silverstone actually look like a modern racing venue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 am 

j man wrote:
I prefer the current layout. Yes we've lost Bridge which was a superb corner but I think the new Abbey bend is a good replacement. Having been in the both the old paddock and the new one I can see why the changes needed to be made; the new paddock is such a vast improvement and makes Silverstone actually look like a modern racing venue.

This is one of my pet peeves with Silverstone at the moment, everyone we hear talking about it says how good the venue is now. But everyone we hear talking about it are people who are using the new complex, the stands are still just made out of scaffolding with mud tracks and burger vans all over the place! When they upgrade their spectator facilities, then I'll say it's a modern racing venue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 am 

minchy wrote:
j man wrote:

This is one of my pet peeves with Silverstone at the moment, everyone we hear talking about it says how good the venue is now. But everyone we hear talking about it are people who are using the new complex, the stands are still just made out of scaffolding with mud tracks and burger vans all over the place! When they upgrade their spectator facilities, then I'll say it's a modern racing venue.

Yeah the outer circuit facilities are pretty gherkin poor, and very temporary. Half the stands they use for F1 are taken down for the rest of the year, and the few that dont are still half-assed and really not worth paying much money to be in.