planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 2288
Location: Singapore
I very much prefer the 2008 layout especially when playing f1 06 on the ps3. Which layout do you guys prefer?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 2:37 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Australia
I actually prefer the current layout. The new layout was part of the upgrade that included the new pit complex, I believe it was redesigned more with MotoGP in mind as Silverstone had lost the right to host the British GP to Donington at that stage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:31 pm
Posts: 383
Ill always prefer the layout as it was before the changes were made, but the new one isn't bad. I wouldn't say it was great though, it could be better. Overtaking wise it hasn't done its job so far, I believe further changes are required.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:12 pm
Posts: 917
I don't mind the layouts, both are fine. But i dislike the current start/finish line position, it is just meters right after the last chicane and a fast sweep corner where in race, driver charging from behind couldn't have enough time to try the last maneuver before checkered flag. I prefer the older one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Posts: 1378
I prefer the current layout myself
Edit. Mind you I was just remembering the days I used to stand at bridge it was awesome to watch an F1 car go through there flat out


Last edited by A2jdl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
Meh not a fan of Silverstone. It always comes across as a poorly planned track.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 3498
The newer layout doesn't seem to flow quite as well for me, plus the track is longer now, so there are less laps so less cars going past if you're at the circuit. I also really miss Bridge, that was an epic corner in a high downforce car although I do prefer Brooklands with the shallower entry.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 2067
The track was changed when Silverstone got the MotoGP contract because it was too dangerous for bikes to go under the bridge at Bridge. The bridge on the Wellington Straight is not as dangerous, presumably because there is more space and it is not near a corner.

The new track doesn't flow as well as the old layout, however the new complex enables better overtaking opportunities in the village/loop section. My main issue with the new track is that Copse is now just a corner in the middle of the track - although the new Abbey corner is similar to Copse so the first corner is similarish. However, the new facilities are a vast improvement over what Silverstone used to have and now means Bernie can't keep banging on about how primitive Silverstone is.

The races since the new layout have been far more interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 3498
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The track was changed when Silverstone got the MotoGP contract because it was too dangerous for bikes to go under the bridge at Bridge. The bridge on the Wellington Straight is not as dangerous, presumably because there is more space and it is not near a corner.

The new track doesn't flow as well as the old layout, however the new complex enables better overtaking opportunities in the village/loop section. My main issue with the new track is that Copse is now just a corner in the middle of the track - although the new Abbey corner is similar to Copse so the first corner is similarish. However, the new facilities are a vast improvement over what Silverstone used to have and now means Bernie can't keep banging on about how primitive Silverstone is.

The races since the new layout have been far more interesting.

Yes he can!!!!!!! :D

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 2630
The older the better. Every change applied to Silverstone made it worse. The last one is worse ever. I have headache as to where is the finish line, expecting it to be in its historic place, and now it's elsewhere. As if in some strange bad dream.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Much prefer the new layout, it added a few overtaking opportunities that I think the circuit lacked before hand.

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 3498
Lt. Drebin wrote:
The older the better. Every change applied to Silverstone made it worse. The last one is worse ever. I have headache as to where is the finish line, expecting it to be in its historic place, and now it's elsewhere. As if in some strange bad dream.

I did once hear (can't find a source to back this up) that technically a race circuit is in the county it's start/finish line is, so technically since 2010 Silverstone circuit is now in Buckinghamshire!!!

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 2057
Lt. Drebin wrote:
The older the better. Every change applied to Silverstone made it worse. The last one is worse ever. I have headache as to where is the finish line, expecting it to be in its historic place, and now it's elsewhere. As if in some strange bad dream.

The new finish line confuses me aswell, it doesn't feel right where it is. I always liked it after Luffield and Woodcote, it has a nice flow, the new finish is like stop - turn - stop -turn - finish, just seems weird.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco 2012, Silverstone 2014)
Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:52 am
Posts: 1462
Ja'a wrote:
I don't mind the layouts, both are fine. But i dislike the current start/finish line position, it is just meters right after the last chicane and a fast sweep corner where in race, driver charging from behind couldn't have enough time to try the last maneuver before checkered flag. I prefer the older one.
Are you forgetting Lewis and Felipe back in 2011?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmK8BgEOauI

Personally I do like the new layout. Still remember Keke Rosberg setting a 160mph lap (back in 1985 if I recall correctly) on the ols layout but the evolution of the circuit has suited the evolution of the cars / regulations in my opinion.

... oh, and it also makes for great bike racing.

_________________
What did you say... Douglas?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:58 pm
Posts: 24
RickM wrote:
Meh not a fan of Silverstone. It always comes across as a poorly planned track.


Probably has something to do with the fact that it wasn't really planned at all?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1498
Location: UK
I prefer the current layout. Yes we've lost Bridge which was a superb corner but I think the new Abbey bend is a good replacement. Having been in the both the old paddock and the new one I can see why the changes needed to be made; the new paddock is such a vast improvement and makes Silverstone actually look like a modern racing venue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 3498
j man wrote:
I prefer the current layout. Yes we've lost Bridge which was a superb corner but I think the new Abbey bend is a good replacement. Having been in the both the old paddock and the new one I can see why the changes needed to be made; the new paddock is such a vast improvement and makes Silverstone actually look like a modern racing venue.

This is one of my pet peeves with Silverstone at the moment, everyone we hear talking about it says how good the venue is now. But everyone we hear talking about it are people who are using the new complex, the stands are still just made out of scaffolding with mud tracks and burger vans all over the place! When they upgrade their spectator facilities, then I'll say it's a modern racing venue.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
minchy wrote:
j man wrote:
I prefer the current layout. Yes we've lost Bridge which was a superb corner but I think the new Abbey bend is a good replacement. Having been in the both the old paddock and the new one I can see why the changes needed to be made; the new paddock is such a vast improvement and makes Silverstone actually look like a modern racing venue.

This is one of my pet peeves with Silverstone at the moment, everyone we hear talking about it says how good the venue is now. But everyone we hear talking about it are people who are using the new complex, the stands are still just made out of scaffolding with mud tracks and burger vans all over the place! When they upgrade their spectator facilities, then I'll say it's a modern racing venue.

Yeah the outer circuit facilities are pretty gherkin poor, and very temporary. Half the stands they use for F1 are taken down for the rest of the year, and the few that dont are still half-assed and really not worth paying much money to be in.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Banana Man, Covalent, gazzaraggi, Google Adsense [Bot], hittheapex, imbrugliaboy, mcdo, petef1, phfft..., shoot999, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group