planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
the incubus wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Also, the "trend" of high noses is a product of the rest of the aero regulations and tires. If and when the tires, exhaust rules, diffuser, front and rear wing, brake duct, and floor regulations all change, then a different solution might be better. Its not a social thing - its not like xyz celebrity is wearing skinny jeans so I'm going to wear skinny jeans - its the regulations dictating the available solutions and shapes.

Nope. As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat. The fact is that someone was thinking outside the box and discovered something that improved aero and the rest of the sheep followed. However, the FIA saw the trend exaggerating things to a point where safety was being compromised and installed limitations for all to abide by. Coanda for example was another way of improving aero that was discovered by Sauber and everyone followed suit. there is absolutely NOTHING that says a higher nose "IS" the best way in accordance to the current regs and I'd bet there are numerous ways to achieve the same effect or better utilizing a lower slung nose, but it takes some experimentation and luck. Last year the McLaren was good from the opening round and it had the lowest nose of the field. They however experimented with a slightly raised nose and felt that it improved performance and stuck with it, but I didn't notice much of a difference. In Lewis' hands the car was fast all year long and actually looked more dominant in its A spec IMHO. Perhaps that's due to others catching up in the development race as the year wore on, but the car was really good either way which is telling that the raised nose is not the absolute best solution.

The low nose worked for McLaren because the rest of the car was designed for it. When they tested the higher nose they may have just decided it wouldnt work with the other half of the car, and changing that significantly might be too risky mid season.

One reason they might have chosen to go the route of the high nose this year is that they find it provides greater opportunity for further development throughout the season, especially at the back of the car. Or they just really wanted to explore the pull rod perhaps for tire performance, and the high nose is more appropriate with that layout.

Why do YOU think they've chosen the high nose this year? Peer pressure? If the low nose was everything they needed it to be last year, why didn't they stick with it?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 4827
Those vanity panels will weigh next to nothing, there only structural requirement would be to not flex in the wind. Which is very simple when its curved and attached on three sides. Unless flex was advantageous of course?

Probably no more than 100-150 grams. Which is about how much weight a driver loses in sweat in just 3 laps at Malaysia. I think they will all have them come the first race.

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Posts: 605
Dalemac wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Dalemac wrote:
More proof of a modesty panel:

Image

Am I missing the definition of a modesty panel? I thought it was something that went over a stepped nose, all I see is a similar nose to last year.



Here is the car as of Brazil:

Image

Note the difference in elevation on the nose. The only way they could have done that is with a modesty panel.


that OR probably just a higher nose

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
metamorphomisk wrote:
pyratheon141 wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
Where's the MP4-28, that's the MP4-27.


Are you joking.. its completely different!!


Are YOU joking? completely different?!

Yeah, it is. Pullrod suspension, raised sections outboard on the floor, driveshafts, high nose, no turning vanes, new sidepods, new barge boards, new style brake ducts. The wings and exhaust outlets are really only the old spec, and the exhaust area looks like two dummy panels ready to pull out and be replaced by their real exhaust solution.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 4827
ashley313 wrote:
the incubus wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Also, the "trend" of high noses is a product of the rest of the aero regulations and tires. If and when the tires, exhaust rules, diffuser, front and rear wing, brake duct, and floor regulations all change, then a different solution might be better. Its not a social thing - its not like xyz celebrity is wearing skinny jeans so I'm going to wear skinny jeans - its the regulations dictating the available solutions and shapes.

Nope. As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat. The fact is that someone was thinking outside the box and discovered something that improved aero and the rest of the sheep followed. However, the FIA saw the trend exaggerating things to a point where safety was being compromised and installed limitations for all to abide by. Coanda for example was another way of improving aero that was discovered by Sauber and everyone followed suit. there is absolutely NOTHING that says a higher nose "IS" the best way in accordance to the current regs and I'd bet there are numerous ways to achieve the same effect or better utilizing a lower slung nose, but it takes some experimentation and luck. Last year the McLaren was good from the opening round and it had the lowest nose of the field. They however experimented with a slightly raised nose and felt that it improved performance and stuck with it, but I didn't notice much of a difference. In Lewis' hands the car was fast all year long and actually looked more dominant in its A spec IMHO. Perhaps that's due to others catching up in the development race as the year wore on, but the car was really good either way which is telling that the raised nose is not the absolute best solution.

The low nose worked for McLaren because the rest of the car was designed for it. When they tested the higher nose they may have just decided it wouldnt work with the other half of the car, and changing that significantly might be too risky mid season.

One reason they might have chosen to go the route of the high nose this year is that they find it provides greater opportunity for further development throughout the season, especially at the back of the car. Or they just really wanted to explore the pull rod perhaps for tire performance, and the high nose is more appropriate with that layout.

Why do YOU think they've chosen the high nose this year? Peer pressure? If the low nose was everything they needed it to be last year, why didn't they stick with it?


Mclaren switched to a higher nose after 5 races?

Image

Image

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Posts: 605
lamo wrote:
Modesty panels are going to be made as one with the nose, all one piece and then sprayed so you are not going to see them. This is F1 they aren't just going to screw on a little panel.


of course they dont, they use glue

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 1182
But that's just it. The modesty panel is for all intents and purposes a part of the overall structure as this 2013 McLaren shows. It's not just a mere bolt-on solution they cam up with. Knowing McLaren they tested the aero both with and without the panel and if they went in this direction it's for a reason. In a business where every last hundredth counts, the step in the nose could be the difference in what deems a car as too slow.

_________________
Second place is the first loser!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
No step, no high nose relative to the others.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
ashley313 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Thats because what Newey had planned was illegal. Macca don't tend to take those risks.

It was legal until the FIA decided it wasnt, same as everything else they do! lol

Bottom line is tho that the design will change a lot between what Lewis last saw and what will race, or even what we see today and what will race. He also isn't looking at today's photos and gaining some in depth understanding of how the McLaren will work. The designers at Merc will be looking at it that way, but does Lewis have their understanding of aero and design? Probably not. If Lewis is smart, he and everyone else, will know there's no point in crazy analysis of a launch car, and certainly no point in being discouraged by it. Especially if Ross is hiding some quadruple DRS reverse double blown triple floating diffuser.



He will have driven the car in the sim which has had 4 months more development. Remember his comments to Sergio about how good it was?

He'll know it's had 4 more months of development and it's not likely to have went backwards in the mean time and will know if they have made major changes. If they have made big changes he will know they won't have been done to make it look nicer but to make it quicker than it was in the Sim back in September.

He can make a direct comparison to where Merc are now and where Macca were. What Merc have and where Macca have went.

That might be good news for him or it might be bad only he knows.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:00 pm
Posts: 605
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
If they have covered it, I am very surprised Lotus didn't. what benefit would a step bring over the smoother nose.

James Allison said that a vanity panel added extra weight and raised the center of gravity.

I'm not saying that argument makes sense (because a panel would be a few grams) but that was his justification.



You would think though the panel would give a smoother air flow.

Quick mock up not perfect due to the angles but gives an idea.
Image

And damn I just realised I forgot to extend one line. :blush: :blush: You may all get a straight edge and a felt tip pen out. :lol:

I agree, however I expect teams to get quite inventive with the vanity panel as it has been quickly shoehorned into the regulations and consequently there will probably be a lot of loopholes they can exploit with it. This is probably why the Lotus launched without one.


Newey: did somebody say inventive and loopholes?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
The modestly panel is NOT structural. 3.7.9 "With the exception of an optional, single piece, non-structural fairing of prescribed laminate (whose precise lay-up may be found in the Appendix to the regulations) which may not be more than 625mm above the reference plane at any point, no bodywork situated more than
1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane."

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 6680
Johnston wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
I'm actually disappointed. The car looks as similar to last years car as the e21 does to its predecessor. I want to see something new and crazy. Maybe m expectations are to high. Lol



If it's true and it looks like it about the high chassis. Then the MP4-28is nothing like the MP4-27.

Red Bull exhaust, Driveshaft covered by the wishbone, High Chassis, Pull Rod front. Fairly big changes.

Just hope McLaren have bitten off more than they can chew by making so many changes and don't end up like Ferrari last year trying to understand the car.

I'm not sure it has Red Bull style exhaust. It has their own solution from last year. Lotus copied Red Bull.

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Johnston wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Thats because what Newey had planned was illegal. Macca don't tend to take those risks.

It was legal until the FIA decided it wasnt, same as everything else they do! lol

Bottom line is tho that the design will change a lot between what Lewis last saw and what will race, or even what we see today and what will race. He also isn't looking at today's photos and gaining some in depth understanding of how the McLaren will work. The designers at Merc will be looking at it that way, but does Lewis have their understanding of aero and design? Probably not. If Lewis is smart, he and everyone else, will know there's no point in crazy analysis of a launch car, and certainly no point in being discouraged by it. Especially if Ross is hiding some quadruple DRS reverse double blown triple floating diffuser.



He will have driven the car in the sim which has had 4 months more development. Remember his comments to Sergio about how good it was?

He'll know it's had 4 more months of development and it's not likely to have went backwards in the mean time and will know if they have made major changes. If they have made big changes he will know they won't have been done to make it look nicer but to make it quicker than it was in the Sim back in September.

He can make a direct comparison to where Merc are now and where Macca were. What Merc have and where Macca have went.

That might be good news for him or it might be bad only he knows.

Where McLaren were and where Merc are now have nothing to do with this launch car though. So again, seeing the car today shouldn't have any effect on his outlook, not from a technical standpoint.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
He'll see if they have made any major changes in the last 4 months. Which as I have said won't have been done to make it look pretty.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 2573
pyratheon141 wrote:
Image

I think that the main idea behind the high nose is to give the neutral zone in the middle of the wing an effective angle of attack so it will create downforce. This would also give a lower pressure on the underside on the wing and thus encourage more air under the wing. As most have said, it is more important to have this and pay the price of working the flow over step. The modesty panel gives the best of both.

The higher nose enables a cleaner airflow to the underneath of the car leading to faster air running through the diffuser generating more rear downforce. This is particularly important in the post 2008 regs now they run smaller rear wings as it allows them to generate more rear downforce. Its the same reason for using pull rod front suspension.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
dizlexik wrote:
Johnston wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
I'm actually disappointed. The car looks as similar to last years car as the e21 does to its predecessor. I want to see something new and crazy. Maybe m expectations are to high. Lol



If it's true and it looks like it about the high chassis. Then the MP4-28is nothing like the MP4-27.

Red Bull exhaust, Driveshaft covered by the wishbone, High Chassis, Pull Rod front. Fairly big changes.

Just hope McLaren have bitten off more than they can chew by making so many changes and don't end up like Ferrari last year trying to understand the car.

I'm not sure it has Red Bull style exhaust. It has their own solution from last year. Lotus copied Red Bull.



Yeah my mistake. There was someone talking about that the exhausts look very temporary and the reckoned they might be launch only and they are going red bull.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 pm
Posts: 39
2012 vs 2013 graphical comparison:
http://www.marca.com/2013/01/31/multime ... 43880.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
Why do I get they feeling that if you showed Ashley a piece of black card she would argue that it was white...

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Dunno, but your feeling is wrong (again) :)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Laura23 wrote:
Why do I get they feeling that if you showed Ashley a piece of black card she would argue that it was white...



she's female :P :lol:

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 8767
Location: London
ashley313 wrote:
Dunno, but your feeling is wrong (again) :)

Somehow I don't think I am this time. I'm in no mood to steal your know it all status on the forum, don't worry.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
ashley313 wrote:
the incubus wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Also, the "trend" of high noses is a product of the rest of the aero regulations and tires. If and when the tires, exhaust rules, diffuser, front and rear wing, brake duct, and floor regulations all change, then a different solution might be better. Its not a social thing - its not like xyz celebrity is wearing skinny jeans so I'm going to wear skinny jeans - its the regulations dictating the available solutions and shapes.

Nope. As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat. The fact is that someone was thinking outside the box and discovered something that improved aero and the rest of the sheep followed. However, the FIA saw the trend exaggerating things to a point where safety was being compromised and installed limitations for all to abide by. Coanda for example was another way of improving aero that was discovered by Sauber and everyone followed suit. there is absolutely NOTHING that says a higher nose "IS" the best way in accordance to the current regs and I'd bet there are numerous ways to achieve the same effect or better utilizing a lower slung nose, but it takes some experimentation and luck. Last year the McLaren was good from the opening round and it had the lowest nose of the field. They however experimented with a slightly raised nose and felt that it improved performance and stuck with it, but I didn't notice much of a difference. In Lewis' hands the car was fast all year long and actually looked more dominant in its A spec IMHO. Perhaps that's due to others catching up in the development race as the year wore on, but the car was really good either way which is telling that the raised nose is not the absolute best solution.

The low nose worked for McLaren because the rest of the car was designed for it. When they tested the higher nose they may have just decided it wouldnt work with the other half of the car, and changing that significantly might be too risky mid season.

One reason they might have chosen to go the route of the high nose this year is that they find it provides greater opportunity for further development throughout the season, especially at the back of the car. Or they just really wanted to explore the pull rod perhaps for tire performance, and the high nose is more appropriate with that layout.

Why do YOU think they've chosen the high nose this year? Peer pressure? If the low nose was everything they needed it to be last year, why didn't they stick with it?

Oh, look at that. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105351




And don't worry Laura, no one would accuse you of being a know it all 8)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 6680
Johnston wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Johnston wrote:
daytona81 wrote:
I'm actually disappointed. The car looks as similar to last years car as the e21 does to its predecessor. I want to see something new and crazy. Maybe m expectations are to high. Lol



If it's true and it looks like it about the high chassis. Then the MP4-28is nothing like the MP4-27.

Red Bull exhaust, Driveshaft covered by the wishbone, High Chassis, Pull Rod front. Fairly big changes.

Just hope McLaren have bitten off more than they can chew by making so many changes and don't end up like Ferrari last year trying to understand the car.

I'm not sure it has Red Bull style exhaust. It has their own solution from last year. Lotus copied Red Bull.



Yeah my mistake. There was someone talking about that the exhausts look very temporary and the reckoned they might be launch only and they are going red bull.

I only read BBC analysis and yes the car is going to change anyway.

_________________
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1801
Location: Sheffield, S. Yorks
Let's see what Gary Anderson has to say:

"McLaren finished last year with the fastest car and the new MP4-28 looks like a good improvement on that.

"The steps forward start at the front with a higher nose and chassis, pretty close to the maximum allowed height, which gives more room for better airflow under the car than last year.

"They have followed Ferrari's 2012 lead in using pull-rod front suspension, which has a lower centre of gravity and the pull-rod manages the airflow off the front wing better than the more common push-rod.

"The sidepods have been moved backwards, giving better airflow, and the back has been focused on maximising that flow.

"The driveshaft and lower wishbone have been packaged in one element and the rear bodywork is heavily scooped out to make the most of the downforce-producing 'coke-bottle' area between the rear wheels.

"The idea is to separate that airflow from the exhaust gases, which McLaren have continued to treat in the way they did last year, rather than using Red Bull-style tunnels.

"McLaren are one of the few teams to have small-diameter exhaust exits, which gives faster airflow and therefore more downforce when they hit the aerodynamically shaped rear brake ducts.

"Overall, McLaren look to have made a good step forward."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am
Posts: 2432
Alex53 wrote:
Image

Never been a real fan of this livery, its mainly chrome. I was at least hoping something a little different but it's pretty much identical to the livery they've had for the last 7 years.

_________________
Danger is real, fear is choice.
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Best Round Result: 1st (Monaco 2012 & 2015, Silverstone 2014, Austria 2015)
Podiums: 7
2015 Championship Standing: Rimming the leaders


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm
Posts: 198
Jenson Button talks so much crap

"I have finally had input into this years car i'm not just stepping into a car a driving it"

Clown


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 4698
May be an optical illusion (or the whiskey) but to me the nose looks either 'thin' or 'long'. anyone else get this impression?

_________________
I have nothing to offer but blood, oil, gears, and sweat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 605
MclarenBullet wrote:
Jenson Button talks so much crap

"I have finally had input into this years car i'm not just stepping into a car a driving it"

Clown


It's taken him 3 years to have input into the car? Wow, no doubt some on this forum will have an excuse for that statement :lol:

_________________
2008
2014


Get Well Soon Michael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 605
hd23 wrote:
I feel a bit sorry for Lewis, this car looks like it will be such a beast. Mclaren are also supremely confident, saying that it will be much better than the MP4-27 at the end of last season. Perez and Jenson are both consistent drivers, hopefully they will get some good wins and maybe constructors or driver's championship.

Mclaren have not had a cc for many years now, it would be nice to see them get one on their anniversary.


Nothing like jumping the gun. Lets wait and see how the car does at testing first!

_________________
2008
2014


Get Well Soon Michael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:09 pm
Posts: 4827
Does anybody think the change of suspension layout might cause Jenson new tyre woes?

_________________
http://www.racefan.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Pretty sure the switch to pullrod is aimed almost directly at eliminating JB's tire woes, but we'll have to wait and see if it works. Its hard for the teams to work on solving last year's tire problems when the tires themselves have also changed for this year.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm
Posts: 172
Location: DFW, Texas
One thing that occurred to me as I was looking back over the pics of the MP4-28... is for all the discussion about financial backing playing into Perez getting the seat (I'm not naive enough to think that was totally ignored, though I don't believe it's nearly the big factor its been made out to be at times)... I don't notice any sponsors on the car that would appear to be brought on board by Perez.

Of course, that doesn't mean they won't appear on future liveries, but for now, I think its worth noting, especially given the focus on that part of the decision making for the seat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:00 am 
the incubus wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
Incubus you need to do some technical reading. The designers aren't morons. The step is there because they want to exploit the flow of air under the nose. If you lift the nose and chassis as high as the rules permit (which are two different heights, hence the step) you get as much air flow underneath as possible, and then you have the ability to manipulate that air into the sidepods, around them, and over them, to create more downforce and rear grip. You put big undercuts under the sidepods to match, and you have much greater control of where that air goes, which means you can use it over the different parts of the rear end to accomplish different goals, one of which is using downwash to help manipulate the flow of exhaust gasses.

Don't need to read anymore as I already know all of this. The issue is that the upper has NOTHING to do with the lower and the noses can be designed so they are more aesthetically pleasing whilst not losing any of the potency of the raised front end. Additionally, the noses can be designed to sit lower and STILL harness all of that air for downforce.

I realize that F1 is a business of function over form but to what point? Additionally the step in the nose is contradictory to all things efficient when it comes to aero so some of the benefit of the raised nose is nullified by the air dam the step creates on top. With aero you want smooth flowing elements in order to minimize turbulence as turbulence leads to instability, which when it makes its way further down the line disrupts flow in many other areas. Either way I hope the 2014 changes means a return to beautiful cars that go fast because quite frankly no would enjoy watching this, even if it goes 500MPH flat out on every track:

Image

At least I know I won't.


I would.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:50 pm
Posts: 464
Perez still feels a bit out of place to me
I guess that's normal but maybe also a little because he had a bad end to last year

I'm looking forward to the first tests, I'm very hopeful that Mclaren will start out with the best car this year


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 774
Location: London
specdecible wrote:
Never been a real fan of this livery, its mainly chrome. I was at least hoping something a little different but it's pretty much identical to the livery they've had for the last 7 years.


I really liked this livery for a few years but it is getting a bit boring now I agree. I also had hoped for something new this year, but maybe their hands are tied somewhat by the sponsors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 am
Posts: 1349
Lojik wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Never been a real fan of this livery, its mainly chrome. I was at least hoping something a little different but it's pretty much identical to the livery they've had for the last 7 years.


I really liked this livery for a few years but it is getting a bit boring now I agree. I also had hoped for something new this year, but maybe their hands are tied somewhat by the sponsors.



Agreed. I wonder if Ferrari are going to be boring again and paint their cars red!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:54 am
Posts: 2170
Location: Austria
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Lojik wrote:
specdecible wrote:
Never been a real fan of this livery, its mainly chrome. I was at least hoping something a little different but it's pretty much identical to the livery they've had for the last 7 years.


I really liked this livery for a few years but it is getting a bit boring now I agree. I also had hoped for something new this year, but maybe their hands are tied somewhat by the sponsors.



Agreed. I wonder if Ferrari are going to be boring again and paint their cars red!

i recall times when ferrari chose a dark-metallic red instead of the strawberry-color they have nowadays ... they could also do a tribute-color and go for dark-grey, as TVs early on didn't show any colors :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
How to fix F1:
1. Stop seeking consensuses on rules - it will always turn out to be the least favourible option for everyone involved...
2. Listen to the fans - there are plenty of them and they have good ideas...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 557
Marca publishes a lot of bull, but their best stuff is always their flash animations/stats, etc.

Here's a good one to compare the MP4-27 and the MP4-28;

http://www.marca.com/2013/01/31/multime ... 43880.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McLaren MP4-28
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Posts: 2986
lamo wrote:
Does anybody think the change of suspension layout might cause Jenson new tyre woes?

ashley313 wrote:
Pretty sure the switch to pullrod is aimed almost directly at eliminating JB's tire woes, but we'll have to wait and see if it works. Its hard for the teams to work on solving last year's tire problems when the tires themselves have also changed for this year.


Tyre woes are going to happen with both Pushrods and Pullrods, both systems are highly tuneable and both will produce similar effects, suspension wise.

I would guess such a decision would be made based on packaging and general dynamics. tyres will need to be optimized in both designs.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], James14, pokerman and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group