planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ferrari F138
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:21 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Muzzyf1 wrote:
What's with the vertical slots at the back of the rear wing?

Those vertical slots pull the air out from under the wing, generate negative pressure, assist in increasing downforce. Red Bull were doing this last year.

Generally, the entire car is a tweaked version of the 2012 car, most of the changes are from lessons learned from last year. Because last year's car had unbelievable reliability, Ferrari have opted not to make any radical alterations to the powertrain, radiator layout, and internal airflow paths.

Ferrari have also eliminated the front brake ducts, a common practice now.
http://youtu.be/PNRhCrCM8sU

Those videos of Scarbs by Peter are brilliant. Thanks for the link.
Confirms what I thought, complete reworked rear on Ferrari. Interesting to actually hear about lot of changes made on other cars from FI and McLaren as well.
Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 pm 

Looking at the rear end more closely I find it to be quite similar to the 2012 Sauber in how abruptly and compactly the body tapers off at the very back. Seems they've removed about 6" of bodywork over last year's car.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:22 am 

Anyone else put off by the weird red colour? Doesn't look like a red they've used in recent years. Looks a bit faded when put next to the 2010-2012 cars.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:33 am 

The red tone does look less aggressive compared to recent years' - but, at least in my opinion, the livery is a very nice one. Combined with the modesty plate, I must admit this looks like a very lean mean sleek machine. Which is much more than I could say in regards to last year's example, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:39 am 

[size=150]Mine Got Sex on wheels :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:41 am 
For F1's sake, I really hope McLaren and Ferrari have a terrible season. Just to spit in the face of everyone who likes modesty panels more than stepped noses.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:
For F1's sake, I really hope McLaren and Ferrari have a terrible season. Just to spit in the face of everyone who likes modesty panels more than stepped noses.

And then stepped noses until the end of time. That would be awesome :uhoh:

Comparison between the F138 and the F2012. Really shows the difference between the back end and the front.

http://www.thef1times.com/compare/ferrari.php

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 am 
VDV23 wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

And then stepped noses until the end of time. That would be awesome :uhoh:

Comparison between the F138 and the F2012. Really shows the difference between the back end and the front.

http://www.thef1times.com/compare/ferrari.php

I agree. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:

Shouldn't that be 'for your sake' rather than 'F1's sake'? n Not sure F1 really cares.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 am 
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

Shouldn't that be 'for your sake' rather than 'F1's sake'? n Not sure F1 really cares.

I'm sure the FIA will care when people stop taking them seriously. Instead of trying to make F1 into a car beauty pageant, they shouldn't give in to the so-called 'fans' and focus on the racing aspect on the sport.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

I'm sure the FIA will care when people stop taking them seriously. Instead of trying to make F1 into a car beauty pageant, they shouldn't give in to the so-called 'fans' and focus on the racing aspect on the sport.

And why focus on the racing ? Wouldn't that be for the fans too ? What's the point of racing if people don't watch it? Marketability and image are important aspects of a big business. F1 wouldn't be sustainable if everything is only focused on the racing. Its also a show. The cars should be both fast and beautiful. A fine balance between the technical and the business side has to be maintained with everything in F1.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 am 
callMEcrazy wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

And why focus on the racing ? Wouldn't that be for the fans too ? What's the point of racing if people don't watch it? Marketability and image are important aspects of a big business. F1 wouldn't be sustainable if everything is only focused on the racing. Its also a show. The cars should be both fast and beautiful. A fine balance between the technical and the business side has to be maintained with everything in F1.

I meant the so-called 'fans' that fill up every thread on every forum whining about stepped noses. There are plenty of legitimate racing fans who watch racing to see racing, though. I wasn't talking about those people.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:16 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

I meant the so-called 'fans' that fill up every thread on every forum whining about stepped noses. There are plenty of legitimate racing fans who watch racing to see racing, though. I wasn't talking about those people.

Yes but as a legitimate fan I also want the cars to look good. If every car this year had a vanity plate, would the racing be noticeably worse than if they all had a stepped nose?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:25 am 
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes but as a legitimate fan I also want the cars to look good. If every car this year had a vanity plate, would the racing be noticeably worse than if they all had a stepped nose?

No, but I'd imagine that the majority of teams would prefer to save weight.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:

Why? it's only for one year. The nose regs are changing next year anyway.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
Couple of quick paint images for comparison.

These images could be put in a childrens' "spot the difference" book. I like the look of it but about the same amount as I liked last years car. The differences are superficial and minor. Yes, the nose might be nicer but I yearn for the appearance of a revolutionary F1 car...and one that has the performance to back up the looks. Where's the modern day Jordan 191 or Tyrrell 019??

And...Where's Colin Chapman when you need him :frown:

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:36 am 

purchville wrote:

These images could be put in a childrens' "spot the difference" book. I like the look of it but about the same amount as I liked last years car. The differences are superficial and minor. Yes, the nose might be nicer but I yearn for the appearance of a revolutionary F1 car...and one that has the performance to back up the looks. Where's the modern day Jordan 191 or Tyrrell 019??

8O 8O 8O

Higher chassis at the front. New rear-end, New Exhaust solution, New gearbox and suspension lay out. No brake ducts at the front apparently either.

Pretty big things plus you are looking at a launch picture that will have many "Trick" bits missing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 am 

Johnston wrote:
purchville wrote:

8O 8O 8O

Higher chassis at the front. New rear-end, New Exhaust solution, New gearbox and suspension lay out. No brake ducts at the front apparently either.

Pretty big things plus you are looking at a launch picture that will have many "Trick" bits missing.

Just a natural evolution, ho hum...That ain't no ground effect with skirts, monocoque or twin chassis mate...I want something revolutionary...from one team at least, please?? Gordan Murray, where are you? :frown:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am 

Except for the livery and nose step, if they had raced that car at brazil not many would've noticed it was a brand new car. Hardly revolutionary.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am 
purchville wrote:
Johnston wrote:
purchville wrote:

8O 8O 8O

Just a natural evolution, ho hum...That ain't no ground effect with skirts, monocoque or twin chassis mate...I want something revolutionary...from one team at least, please?? Gordan Murray, where are you? :frown:

Why? Didn't you enjoy the 2012 season? :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 am 

purchville wrote:
Johnston wrote:
purchville wrote:

8O 8O 8O

Incase you haven't noticed the rules area lot tighter so they can't go "Revolutionary"

Things like DDRS EBD and F-Ducts are about as revolutionary we're going to get.

Besides that the 191 didn't bring anything revolutionary. It was just a well designed car.

Last edited by Johnston on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am 

Joey_Zyla wrote:
purchville wrote:
Johnston wrote:
purchville wrote:

8O 8O 8O

Why? Didn't you enjoy the 2012 season? :?

Sure did, loved it...and 2010 as well...but not as much as 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 or 91.

Big downer for me is the lack of engine development (i.e. non-existent). We can expect each engine to perform pretty much as it did last year. So, okay it makes for good racing as it is (if a car has an outstanding chassis then it will be competative)...but it's not really F1 as I know/knew it..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 pm 

I can't believe so many people think there are so few changes. Yes they are subtle but that's not unusual. Last years car was pretty good at most circuits so why would it look so different? There are numerous subtle differences but these are often ask that is needed to make a difference to race pace.

Plus it's lacking the true front and rear wing at least.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:00 pm 

Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

X- wings were officially banned for safety reasons but we all no the real reason they were banned. It's bit like the attempt to remove stripped noses is a first for F1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 am 

Are Ferrari going to test the F138 at their own track [filming day]? Don't they usually do this each year, I forget when they do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:44 am 

Are they allowed?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:35 am 

Yeah you can do a promotional/filming day. Possibly more than one, I don't remember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 am 

ashley313 wrote:
Yeah you can do a promotional/filming day. Possibly more than one, I don't remember.

How do they regulate that no actual testing is done while filming?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:28 am 

Its 8 days actually "The only exception is that each competitor is permitted up to eight promotional events, carried out using tyres provided specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier, to a maximum distance of 100kms per event."

Any of the circuits that would be helpful to test on would probably have or want a good enough relationship with the FIA to "tattle" on a team breaking the rules.. If you are a circuit you don't want to mess with the FIA as it could cost you all of your major money making events. Plus no team would want to put its driver(s) and all team personnel in a position where they may have to lie, and not just because it would be impossible to guarantee EVERYONE'S silence.

Incidentally you can do a day of legit testing at almost any time throughout the year if you are putting in a driver who has not competed in any F1 events in the last two years. I didn't know that til I checked on the number of promo days :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:31 am 

McLaren had their promo day already too pics are already on their twitter feed, force India did theirs at their launch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 am 

McLaren and FI have used 1/8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:18 pm 

I'm still a little bit worried that they've gone for the vertical radiators. Sidepods still look higher and wider than the Mclarens/Red Bulls.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:16 pm 

TheThirdTenor wrote:
I'm still a little bit worried that they've gone for the vertical radiators. Sidepods still look higher and wider than the Mclarens/Red Bulls.

Side pods are not higher. They are at about similar height even on Ferrari. They are not even wider at widest point. But the design philosophy is completely different compared to RedBull. And it is down to exhaust manipulation.
What RedBull has done is shaped sidepods to curve back in at the front opening giving it that narrow feel. Ferrari on the other hand have gone with slightly smaller than last year but still sculpted at bottom. Redbull sweeps back little more sharply at the top than Ferrari. I am no expert on this topic but I think both have different implementation to complement their different exhaust designs. Which will work better, I dont know to be honest. But it should not be as bad as last year for sure with massive improvements at the back. Hopefully it is fast.

Here is just some shoddy paint work to illustrate what I said above in 1 image. It is easier to notice differences or similarities when everything is in one view.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

X- wings were officially banned for safety reasons but we all no the real reason they were banned. It's bit like the attempt to remove stripped noses is a first for F1.

X wings were officially banned? Did anyone tell the Rebel Alliance?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:

Yes they did. That's why they have that button to flatten the wings out when the inspectors are about!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 am 

F138 web presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 71rle7MVY#!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes they did. That's why they have that button to flatten the wings out when the inspectors are about!

"Lock S-Foils in concealed position!" Sneaky Rebel scum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 pm 

Spoiler: show
Asphalt_World wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Joey_Zyla wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes they did. That's why they have that button to flatten the wings outM when the inspectors are about!

"Lock S-Foils in concealed position!" Sneaky Rebel scum.

My B-Wing shall defeat you all with its mighty wings deployed

Good looking car. Too bad it shares the black-red scheme with another team :S

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:36 pm 

Quote:
Good looking car. Too bad it shares the black-red scheme with another team :S

What? With the Murussia? They look very different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:37 pm 

Why does the Ferrari design look so much squared of then the other cars?