planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 pm 

Just had a moment to myself and went to MBF1 site and watched Lewis' first day at the facility and all looks like business and then towards the end he explains how Nico was in the simulator all day the previous day and he jumped in the following day and was already a bit quicker. Not sure how serious this is in terms of Lewis Cometh but if it is indicative of him soundly out performing Nico then we're in for a real treat of a season. Fernando, Seb, Lewis, Mark, Kimi, RoGro, Massa, Perez, Button… hopefully they are all on par with one another and every run to every first corner is going to be dynamite!

C'monnnn OZ 2013, get here already! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... cNv2vKVO9U

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:01 pm 

lol sounds like a cheeky joke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm 

Nico will be fine. I'm not concerned about him at all because this is his opprotunity to show that he can compete against the best. Also, we have to consider how the W04 will be during testing and the first GP at Oz.

Like I said before, I think Lewis will not wipe the floor. It WILL be closer than most think.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:45 pm 

f1madman wrote:

I dunno… Sounds like he just spoke quickly without thinking and realized how it sounded and sort of laughed it off.

OutKast wrote:
Nico will be fine. I'm not concerned about him at all because this is his opprotunity to show that he can compete against the best. Also, we have to consider how the W04 will be during testing and the first GP at Oz.

Like I said before, I think Lewis will not wipe the floor. It WILL be closer than most think.

Agree with you on the first bit but without saying he'll wipe the floor with Nico, if Lewis is every bit as good as his performance has historically suggested he is (excluding 2011 for obvious reasons), I wouldn't be too surprised if he relegates Nico to being his Barrichello. I don't know that I'm right, but something in my gut is telling me that Lewis is going to put on quite a show this year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 am 

That might prove valid only if Mercedes will really be firing an all 8 cylinders.
If it will continue in their recent years' trend (4th- 5th team of the lot) I do believe Rosberg will be right up there with Hamilton. Because (at least from how I see it) a super-class vs a very good driver can be differentiated in the best machinery. Note that I'm not saying a super-class vs a mediocre one. And, since Rosberg appears to be quite a very good driver, Hamilton might not get the chance to show that extra-something he has, given a slower machinery.

Sure, we had the Schumacher factor last years, so we could not rate correctly Rosberg. Was he that good or was Schumacher losing it? now, we'll get a more clearer idea. But, while thinking about this, let us remember recent sidekicks such as Glock-Pic, Kovalainen-Petrov, which in theory should have been clearly a number 1-number 2 team...but did not quite look like this on the road. Maybe it was the car which limited them, who knows? but this may happen to Lewis too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:35 am 

I expect Hamilton to beat Rosberg, but not by a long way. That's not to say I don't think highly of Hamilton, just that I think Nico has been doing a fine job for Mercedes. I think it'll be mighty close in quali because everything indicates that Rosberg is a great qualifier. But Hamilton should be able to pull clear in the race. I expect Rosberg to score above 80% of Hamilton's points. If Button managed it, I wouldn't put it past Rosberg to even beat Hamilton. Rosberg is also very good at driving midfield cars so I think he'll hold up quite well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:59 pm 

callMEcrazy wrote:
I expect Hamilton to beat Rosberg, but not by a long way. That's not to say I don't think highly of Hamilton, just that I think Nico has been doing a fine job for Mercedes. I think it'll be mighty close in quali because everything indicates that Rosberg is a great qualifier. But Hamilton should be able to pull clear in the race. I expect Rosberg to score above 80% of Hamilton's points. If Button managed it, I wouldn't put it past Rosberg to even beat Hamilton. Rosberg is also very good at driving midfield cars so I think he'll hold up quite well.

I agree that Nico has done a fine job at Mercedes.

Last year though Button was very fortunate to get so close to Lewis points wise, Lewis wiped the floor with him last year. Nico is decent qualifier, but Lewis is the best qualifier on the grid. I think Lewis will out qualify him the majority of weekends. That said, I think it will be close between Lewis and Nico next year, but I am not sure why.

I am not exactly positive that Mercedes will do much this year, I see Lewis getting a lot of 7th and 8 places and maybe the odd 4th or 5th, maybe a few podiums as well.

I hope Inncubus is right and Lewis puts on a show this year, but I cannot see it being anything than a very challenging year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
That might prove valid only if Mercedes will really be firing an all 8 cylinders.
If it will continue in their recent years' trend (4th- 5th team of the lot) I do believe Rosberg will be right up there with Hamilton. Because (at least from how I see it) a super-class vs a very good driver can be differentiated in the best machinery. Note that I'm not saying a super-class vs a mediocre one. And, since Rosberg appears to be quite a very good driver, Hamilton might not get the chance to show that extra-something he has, given a slower machinery.

Sure, we had the Schumacher factor last years, so we could not rate correctly Rosberg. Was he that good or was Schumacher losing it? now, we'll get a more clearer idea. But, while thinking about this, let us remember recent sidekicks such as Glock-Pic, Kovalainen-Petrov, which in theory should have been clearly a number 1-number 2 team...but did not quite look like this on the road. Maybe it was the car which limited them, who knows? but this may happen to Lewis too.

Very interesting points you raise. I too was surprised at Glock and Kovalainen in 2012 not doing better than they did. Maybe they have been demotivated being in backmarker teams? A front-running car can do wonders for a drivers performance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:27 pm 

Really like Nico but I feel Lewis will destroy him. Unless of course he ups his game.... and that he will have to do pitted against someone of Hamiltons calibre.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm 

the incubus wrote:
f1madman wrote:

I dunno… Sounds like he just spoke quickly without thinking and realized how it sounded and sort of laughed it off.

OutKast wrote:

Agree with you on the first bit but without saying he'll wipe the floor with Nico, if Lewis is every bit as good as his performance has historically suggested he is (excluding 2011 for obvious reasons), I wouldn't be too surprised if he relegates Nico to being his Barrichello. I don't know that I'm right, but something in my gut is telling me that Lewis is going to put on quite a show this year.

The reason why I said it is because so many others think that Lewis will just come in and blow the doors off of Nico.

Its going to be close and I mean close. Something tells me that this battle is going to the end of the season and if the car is strong, this will be a dangerous duo.

If this season will be closer than the last, I expect the larger nine teams to be really close at Oz. I'm saying less than a couple of tenths apart like last season.

I'm more excited than I was last year, I want more competition and more WDC continders!

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:36 pm 

The Nico vs Lewis battles should be so interesting in 2013.
I agree with posters above who say there will be 'no wiping the floor' by Lewis. The comparison with Button and Hamilton makes sense. Nico is not going to be passive as Barrichello was at Ferrari.

What did surpise me in 2012 was how close Michael performed to Nico. Imo it was not Nico slowing, but Michael getting back to form. Not as fast as he used to be, but still very competitive. It must have been heartbreaking for MSC to be 'retrenched' from Mercedes.

Even if the 2013 Merc is not a front-runner, the Lewis vs Nico matches should be intense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:36 pm 

sennafan24 wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

I agree that Nico has done a fine job at Mercedes.

Last year though Button was very fortunate to get so close to Lewis points wise, Lewis wiped the floor with him last year. Nico is decent qualifier, but Lewis is the best qualifier on the grid. I think Lewis will out qualify him the majority of weekends. That said, I think it will be close between Lewis and Nico next year, but I am not sure why.

I am not exactly positive that Mercedes will do much this year, I see Lewis getting a lot of 7th and 8 places and maybe the odd 4th or 5th, maybe a few podiums as well.

I hope Inncubus is right and Lewis puts on a show this year, but I cannot see it being anything than a very challenging year.

When I was talking about Button beating Hamilton I was just talking about 2011. I'm well aware that over their 3 years as teammates Button fell a fair bit short of Hamilton regardless of what the stats suggest. Last year perfectly exemplified the comparison.

Anyway, I was just saying that Nico is good enough to take advantage of it if something goes wrong with Hamilton, be it form or luck. So its not out of the question that he could beat Hamilton. Of course under normal circumstances most people including me would expect Hamilton to come out on top.

My expectations of Mercedes are pretty much the same as yours, the same as the last 3 years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:40 pm 

callMEcrazy wrote:

When I was talking about Button beating Hamilton I was just talking about 2011. I'm well aware that over their 3 years as teammates Button fell a fair bit short of Hamilton regardless of what the stats suggest. Last year perfectly exemplified the comparison.

Anyway, I was just saying that Nico is good enough to take advantage of it if something goes wrong with Hamilton, be it form or luck. So its not out of the question that he could beat Hamilton. Of course under normal circumstances most people including me would expect Hamilton to come out on top.

My expectations of Mercedes are pretty much the same as yours, the same as the last 3 years.

Yes because Lewis all lewis' problems were Maccas fault and all of Buttons were his own :uhoh: :uhoh:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 pm 

Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

Yes because Lewis all lewis' problems were Maccas fault and all of Buttons were his own :uhoh: :uhoh:

Hamilton lost far more points than Button due to bad luck.

Hamilton was beaten in 2011, not so in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:47 pm 

phyz wrote:

I'm not talking about luck, but the tyre woes were not solely at Buttons doors. The team bares responsibility for them too. Just like they do for Lewis' reliability.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm 

Johnston wrote:
phyz wrote:

I'm not talking about luck, but the tyre woes were not solely at Buttons doors. The team bares responsibility for them too. Just like they do for Lewis' reliability.

Yes, but one lost more points due to factors outside his control than the other. Anyway, it's been done to death. Now, it's Rosberg and Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:07 pm 

Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

ahhh the famous unwritten rule that wont even die now they're not even teammates!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 pm 

I've been saying for a long time that at first Nico will be faster, but in the long run Lewis will come out on top by a small margin. That's just my gut feeling and I think it's a quite conservative prediction.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 pm 

I've not heard the interview so don't know what context to put the comment but if it was a remark aiming to show how special he is I'd just like to say can we all have a look for Lewis's lost humility? Check down the back of your sofa, behind your fridge and anywhere else you can think because he'd be a whole lot easier to like if he got some!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:22 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
I've not heard the interview so don't know what context to put the comment but if it was a remark aiming to show how special he is I'd just like to say can we all have a look for Lewis's lost humility? Check down the back of your sofa, behind your fridge and anywhere else you can think because he'd be a whole lot easier to like if he got some!

You haven't heard the interview ... "BUT IF IT WAS" these 2 lines plus your posting history on anything with the name Hamilton say more about your character then anyone Else's.

Please Mods can we have some warnings for folks in here, this new influx of Jenson fans plus the Hamilton fans and there constant bickering in most threads are ruining these once great forums and is a reason I hardly post anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 pm 

jeshannon wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:

You haven't heard the interview ... "BUT IF IT WAS" these 2 lines plus your posting history on anything with the name Hamilton say more about your character then anyone Else's.

Please Mods can we have some warnings for folks in here, this new influx of Jenson fans plus the Hamilton fans and there constant bickering in most threads are ruining these once great forums and is a reason I hardly post anymore.

So because I haven't heard it in supposed to jump straight to it being in a positive light?!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:30 pm 

It was clearly a light hearted joke. He laughed as soon as he said and had a little grin on his face.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:15 pm 

Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

That almost sounds like all the time Hamilton was quicker Button had a problem of some sort, and Hamilton was equally at fault for his problems as McLaren were when in fact McLaren were 90%+ responsible

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:17 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

That almost sounds like all the time Hamilton was quicker Button had a problem of some sort, and Hamilton was equally at fault for his problems as McLaren were when in fact McLaren were 90%+ responsible

Would you not say McLaren were at fault for the tyre issues too? Or was that all Button?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

Would you not say McLaren were at fault for the tyre issues too? Or was that all Button?

You're arguing about Hamilton being superior to Button last season so these tyre issues that Button had and were the fault of McLaren's must have affected him for most of the season

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:40 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

My expectations of Mercedes are pretty much the same as ours, the same as the last 3 years.

What problems did Lewis have at Melbourne last year? 2011 wasn't McLaren's fault either. I mean, both were/ are pretty quick, enough to keep each other on toes all the time and it was pretty tight in the end.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

Last edited by garagetinkerer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm 

pokerman wrote:
You're arguing about Hamilton being superior to Button last season so these tyre issues that Button had and were the fault of McLaren's must have affected him for most of the season

No I am arguing that the
Quote:
Last year perfectly exemplified the comparison.

Isn't true as along with Lewis Button also suffered because of the team.

If you look where JB was pace wise towards the end of the season once it was sorted he wasn't too far off Lewis pace.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:44 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

My expectations of Mercedes are pretty much the same as ours, the same as the last 3 years.

What problems did Lewis have at Melbourne last year? 2011 wasn't McLaren's fault either. I mean, both were/ are pretty quick, enough to keep each other on toes all the time and it was pretty tight in the end.

The reference is to the 2012 season

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:53 pm 

pokerman wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:04 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No I am arguing that the
Quote:

If you look where JB was pace wise towards the end of the season once it was sorted he wasn't too far off Lewis pace.

Ok i agree he was over the top somewhat, for me there's no excuses really for Hamilton's 2011 season, thats's why equally i won't excuse Button's 2012 season, i feel the difference here is that people aren't looking to blame McLaren for Hamilton's 2011 season when he was beat by Button but moreso are blaming McLaren for Hamilton's 2012 season when he actually beat Button.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Ok i agree he was over the top somewhat, for me there's no excuses really for Hamilton's 2011 season, thats's why equally i won't excuse Button's 2012 season, i feel the difference here is that people aren't looking to blame McLaren for Hamilton's 2011 season when he was beat by Button but moreso are blaming McLaren for Hamilton's 2012 season when he actually beat Button.

Well between the two seasons there is one major difference. '11 was Lewis own doing '12 was down to the tyres and the TEAM not understanding them. Now if the TEAM didn't understand them then the points lost were not Buttons own doing as was the case in '11. So therefore '12 wasn't a fair reflection. As both drivers lost points from issues out side their control.

You should watch the FI launch one of the guys there (Can't mind if it was Fernley or the Designer) Made some interesting comments about the rubber last year .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:15 pm 

Did you have to turn another thread into Button vs Hamilton Johnston? We've heard enough.

As for Hamilton vs Rosberg, I think 2013 could finish Nico's career if he doesn't watch out.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:22 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Did you have to turn another thread into Button vs Hamilton Johnston? We've heard enough.

As for Hamilton vs Rosberg, I think 2013 could finish Nico's career if he doesn't watch out.

Agreed on both points Laura :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm 

pokerman wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
callMEcrazy wrote:

Not in Johnston's post, or one who he replied to....

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Did I? I think you'll find I responded to someone elses comment. I think you will find if you actually read the thread someone brought up Lewis Vs Button before I did.

But seen as you are in a bit of a huff lately I guess your clouded mind missed that and decided to go for the bash. When in reality at least 2 posters brought the Button argument to the table before I.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Apologies, as I did get carried away a bit too...

On the other hand, what becomes of Lewis if Nico does a Button or better still?

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:28 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Did I? I think you'll find I responded to someone elses comment. I think you will find if you actually read the thread someone brought up Lewis Vs Button before I did.

But seen as you are in a bit of a huff lately I guess your clouded mind missed that and decided to go for the bash. When in reality at least 2 posters brought the Button argument to the table before I.

And you found it impossible to ignore it?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Apologies, as I did get carried away a bit too...

On the other hand, what becomes of Lewis if Nico does a Button or better still?

I can't see Hamiltons level dropping that much so would certainly make me reevaluate my impression of Rosberg and wonder what might have been if he'd had a decent car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:30 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well between the two seasons there is one major difference. '11 was Lewis own doing '12 was down to the tyres and the TEAM not understanding them. Now if the TEAM didn't understand them then the points lost were not Buttons own doing as was the case in '11. So therefore '12 wasn't a fair reflection. As both drivers lost points from issues out side their control.

You should watch the FI launch one of the guys there (Can't mind if it was Fernley or the Designer) Made some interesting comments about the rubber last year .

Hamilton was beating Button consistently throughout the season though so you have to be blaming McLaren for not understanding the tyres for most of the season in defence of Button

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:31 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No I am arguing that the
Quote:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.