planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Good racing movies?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:48 pm 

Question just out of curiosity. So far I have seen Days of Thunder, Driven, Grand Prix, Michel Vaillant and the Senna movie.

Senna I see more as a documentary movie well done but IMO it focussed too much on the Senna-Prost rivalry. There were so many things that were left out. Especially that there was no mention of Berger nor the saving of Comas.

Grand Prix so far I liked best as racing movie even though the story isn't that great but still a lot better than the other stories in racing movies, and it's actually about F1.

Days of Thunder: awful story, that I don't like NASCAR doesn't help either plus yeah I don't like Tom Cruise

Driven: even worse story than Days of Thunder,Stallone as a racing driver, u got to be kidding? the racing was very lame IMO

Michel Vaillant: the movie was reasonable even though the plot was again as stupid as the above 2, the racing wasn't too bad but it was not about F1 which it shoudl have been if u ever read the Vaillant comics

If there are recommendations anyone can make? There is still the Enzo Ferrari movie I want to see (have it on DVDnow).

Post subject: Re: Good racing movies?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 pm 

The only other racing movie Ican think of is Herbie fully loaded, which is awful.

VI LXXVII XIV X
gif from reddit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm 

Steve McQueen's 'Le Mans'!

Though it's not so much a movie as a series of great shots of beautiful Le Mans cars. There is a plot, but it's not worth too much, just great for atmosphere; the sights and sounds of Le Mans captured on film.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 pm 

There aren't that many racing movies out there... Which is strange.
Just sit tight and wait for Rush. Hopefully Ron Howard has done a good job.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 pm 

Cars ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
Steve McQueen's 'Le Mans'!

Though it's not so much a movie as a series of great shots of beautiful Le Mans cars. There is a plot, but it's not worth too much, just great for atmosphere; the sights and sounds of Le Mans captured on film.

:)

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is "Speedway", from 1929 and has footage from the 1929 Indy 500. It is a silent movie, but has cameo appearances from racing drivers of the day.

TT3D: Closer to the Edge, is a 3D film of the Isle of man TT, absolutely insane and a must-have.

Spinout, an Elvis movie from 1966. Don't laugh, some of the cars used in the film are absolute classics. If you know and appreciate cars from that era, I highly recommend it.

The Cannonball Run nice cars, great comedy.

Stroker Ace, another amusing Burt Reynolds movie, but not worth the price of admission.

On Any Sunday. saved the best for last.

http://youtu.be/YLtBxmKll6U

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 pm 

C'├ętait un rendez-vous
http://vimeo.com/29827917

Not strictly a racing movie but still really fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:50 pm 

I've always been partial to Steve McQueen's LeMans. I find I end up putting it in at least once a year to re-watch. I like that its more of a movie about the event, the atmosphere and what makes it special than really being plot-driven (I shudder to think what a remake of LeMans would be like today with today's actors and movie styles and techniques.)

And since Cannonball Run has been thrown out there... while not a 'racing' racing movie, one of my personal favorites of a similar vein was "Gumball Rally" which had a pretty varied cast led by Michael Sarrazin and Raul Julia. More about fun, and cross country racing, rather than being an excuse for Burt Reynolds and friends to be on the screen together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm 

if you like motogp ... you can check out "Faster" and "Fastest", documentaries narrated both by Ewan mcGregor.