planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm 

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...

I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.

Doubtful - him being seen using anything other than a blackberry will probably trigger some clause in he sponsorship contract.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm 

Nyphur wrote:
RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.

Doubtful - him being seen using anything other than a blackberry will probably trigger some clause in he sponsorship contract.

Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm 

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

If it's a major sponsor they will probably have clauses in the contracts that don't allow them to use competitors' products in public. It would be a smart move by Mercedes getting Blackberry on board and enforcing that, a phone that is unituitive to use and makes it difficult to tweet pictures...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.

you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...

Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm 

RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I have one. :cry: I just wanted a phone with a normal keyboard for a change. Worst idea I've ever had. Can't wait to upgrade in the summer to the iPhone 5. Bot gonna like the Merc tie in makes the decision even easier for me.

As for BB10, it's been slated as too slow already and although the new phones are supposed to be alright the OS ruins them.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm 

Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...

Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

It is average at best from the reviews I've seen. No where near the iPhone 5 either. BB 10 won't save the company, it may sustain it for a while but it won't save it. They needed something competition beating and they haven't done it.

Sounds awfully like the predicament their new partner is in this year funnily enough...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm 

and back to discussing the car!!!!!

Looks like good solid development has taken place and the car will be fairly competitive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm 

Wolverine: Watch me hack into the Superdome power core.

Brawn: Did you use that Blackberry to shut down the stadium?

Wolverine: I was invited to the Superbowl, but people do not recognize and did not let me touch the Lombardi.

Brawn: Next time, apply for an American Express card!!!! ;)

Last edited by Placid on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

Gary Andersons take on the new car..

Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm 

Malkiiin wrote:

Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 

So according to Gary Anderson, the Mercedes aero team still fails

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm 

It looks like a platypus. Hopefully it's going to be faster though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm 

Strange... They've somehow turned one of the ugliest cars from last season into one of the most attractive this year. I still don't like the livery though, it's brand new and the silver and spearmint green already looks dull and faded, a major change is needed to fix that up, doubt I will ever see it though, Mercedes will probably leave f1 before they get around to changing that.

I am looking forward to seeing how their exhaust set up pans out, the enormous undercut has the potential to get huge amounts of air over the rear cleanly. But does it look like they are blowing the brake ducts rather than the diffuser area? That seems risky. It would take a very well designed break duct to produce a performance margin better than sealing in that diffuser

PF1 Castrol GP Predictor 2014: Second

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm 

I'm sure Gary knows what he's talking about, but to say after seeing the car for less than a day that it's not taken a step forwards is jumping the gun a little. I'll wait until I see Australia.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:

Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...

I thought his main point about the McLaren was that it has more limited potential for development? Which has been confirmed by their design this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm 

Benici wrote:
this is the live launch stream apparently. Pretty low key by the looks (and sounds) of things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG11xoqP3jc&newstate=7d4166d79b72c361cadb97852aeb9180

live launch but video is private?

wtf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm 

the live launch was an hour ago and was open then, theyve probably locked it now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm 

where do I watch the recording?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm 

So...everybody's talking about Blackberry and not the car - I'd say that's some pretty bloody successful sponsorship right there!
;)

Car looks interesting, really short nose, hopefully to help with agility in the corners. As an aside, bloody good to see an F1 car on track at last, instead of these daft launch events!
:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm 

Theres a small video of it driving on he mercedes website, were hamilton is recording it on the blackberry

god i miss that noise of an f1 car

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 pm 

Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Here is someone who knows his stuff...BB is going nowhere.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm 

Haribo wrote:
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too

For once we agree :lol: :lol:

The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm 

We should all consider ourselves blessed to have witnessed the moment Johnston and Haribo agree... beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Haribo wrote:

For once we agree :lol: :lol:

The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .

:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:

I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.

My contract comes up for renewal this month, think I need something like that.
...wow this is a tangent :lol:

OT: I quite like the new merc. Pity about the livery staying the same again but I'm curious to see how the back end does.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm 

RickM wrote:
Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

I hope you are more knowledgeable about F1 than you are about mobile phone technology

Apple's market capitalisation has fallen more than Microsoft is worth in the past 6 months, while RIMs share price has more than doubled, admittedly from a low point.

Corporates will NEVER adopt iOS because the OS prevents remote support by design, you try guiding 1,000 field sales people through a roll out issue on the phone rather than taking control and doing it yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm 

Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

Dalemac wrote:

Does... not... compute....

That helmet doesn't work does it? At least we'll be able to spot the difference between Nico and Lewis... the one that looks like it belongs in a Merc is Rosberg, the helmet which looks out of place is Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

Is it just me or the car looks too bulky? It doesn´t have a sleek, fluid shape and looks rather fat and heavy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm 

Rosberg doesn't expect the car to be among the fastest in the first races.
http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspor ... 99920.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm 

Dalemac wrote:

The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm 

Dare I suggest that the W04's nose job is by Nicole Scherzinger's plastic surgeon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Dalemac wrote:

The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!

Is that Lewis and not Nico?

And so it begins!! :x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfVp161XVs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm 

So how do we tell who is Lewis and Nico? Not the Scherzinger definitely.. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm 

Covalent wrote:

On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Covalent wrote:

On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)

i can tell by the Helmet
But who is the No.1 then ?