planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:49 pm
Posts: 29
RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.


Doubtful - him being seen using anything other than a blackberry will probably trigger some clause in he sponsorship contract.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:20 am
Posts: 2706
Location: Herts, UK
Nyphur wrote:
RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.


Doubtful - him being seen using anything other than a blackberry will probably trigger some clause in he sponsorship contract.

Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 2188
RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.

If it's a major sponsor they will probably have clauses in the contracts that don't allow them to use competitors' products in public. It would be a smart move by Mercedes getting Blackberry on board and enforcing that, a phone that is unituitive to use and makes it difficult to tweet pictures...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 am
Posts: 679
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7881
Location: London
RickM wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


I guarantee that he'll have an iPhone or s3 in his pocket for personal use. You'd be crazy to try and use a blackberry as your main phone these days. Nasty, nasty devices.

I have one. :cry: I just wanted a phone with a normal keyboard for a change. Worst idea I've ever had. Can't wait to upgrade in the summer to the iPhone 5. Bot gonna like the Merc tie in makes the decision even easier for me.

As for BB10, it's been slated as too slow already and although the new phones are supposed to be alright the OS ruins them.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7881
Location: London
Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

It is average at best from the reviews I've seen. No where near the iPhone 5 either. BB 10 won't save the company, it may sustain it for a while but it won't save it. They needed something competition beating and they haven't done it.

Sounds awfully like the predicament their new partner is in this year funnily enough...

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1373
and back to discussing the car!!!!!

Looks like good solid development has taken place and the car will be fairly competitive.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:14 am
Posts: 658
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Image
Wolverine: Watch me hack into the Superdome power core.

Brawn: Did you use that Blackberry to shut down the stadium?

Wolverine: I was invited to the Superbowl, but people do not recognize and did not let me touch the Lombardi.

Brawn: Next time, apply for an American Express card!!!! ;)


Last edited by Placid on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:41 pm
Posts: 307
Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Malkiiin wrote:
Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm
Posts: 742
So according to Gary Anderson, the Mercedes aero team still fails


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 pm
Posts: 13
Location: Düsseldorf, Germany
It looks like a platypus. Hopefully it's going to be faster though!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am
Posts: 565
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Strange... They've somehow turned one of the ugliest cars from last season into one of the most attractive this year. I still don't like the livery though, it's brand new and the silver and spearmint green already looks dull and faded, a major change is needed to fix that up, doubt I will ever see it though, Mercedes will probably leave f1 before they get around to changing that.

I am looking forward to seeing how their exhaust set up pans out, the enormous undercut has the potential to get huge amounts of air over the rear cleanly. But does it look like they are blowing the brake ducts rather than the diffuser area? That seems risky. It would take a very well designed break duct to produce a performance margin better than sealing in that diffuser

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition
Podiums: 2 - 1st Malaysia 2014, 1st China 2014 -- Best Round Points: 171
2014 Championship position: 13th
PF1 Castrol GP Predictor 2014: Second


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1379
Location: Wrexham, UK
I'm sure Gary knows what he's talking about, but to say after seeing the car for less than a day that it's not taken a step forwards is jumping the gun a little. I'll wait until I see Australia.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm
Posts: 1256
Haribo wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Gary Andersons take on the new car..


Gary Anderson
BBC F1 technical analyst
"At first glance I can't see where the 'step change in performance' Mercedes are talking about is going to come from with their new car.

"There are a few changes here and there, but not necessarily in ways that look like they will be a big advantage.

"One area that is definitely working a bit harder is the front brake ducts, which are more elaborate.

"The nose has the allowed 'vanity panel' to hide the height difference between nose tip and chassis. If you put little ridges on either side of the nose, that can help prevent air spilling over the side. But the way Mercedes have designed their nose it looks like it will exacerbate that problem, which affects the aerodynamics detrimentally.

"The sidepods have a raised outer edge. It's aimed at getting air to the rear but it creates lift, and then there are turning vanes on top to reduce the lift. So that confuses me a little.

"They are trying to use the exhaust for aerodynamic effect at the back, but there is an awful lot of bodywork back there which will block the airflow and reduce the effectiveness of the 'coke-bottle' shape, which is what gives overall downforce, as opposed to the on-throttle downforce you get from the exhausts.

"Unlike the McLaren, which looked a step forward in every area, I wouldn't necessarily say I'm seeing anything too exciting about the Mercedes."

Slightly worrying..

Anderson said last year McLaren got it wrong...


I thought his main point about the McLaren was that it has more limited potential for development? Which has been confirmed by their design this year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 656
Benici wrote:
this is the live launch stream apparently. Pretty low key by the looks (and sounds) of things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG11xoqP3jc&newstate=7d4166d79b72c361cadb97852aeb9180


live launch but video is private?

wtf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1373
the live launch was an hour ago and was open then, theyve probably locked it now


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 656
where do I watch the recording?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:57 am
Posts: 1010
So...everybody's talking about Blackberry and not the car - I'd say that's some pretty bloody successful sponsorship right there!
;)

Car looks interesting, really short nose, hopefully to help with agility in the corners. As an aside, bloody good to see an F1 car on track at last, instead of these daft launch events!
:D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am
Posts: 1373
Theres a small video of it driving on he mercedes website, were hamilton is recording it on the blackberry

god i miss that noise of an f1 car


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 am
Posts: 1308
Cozz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Grosjean wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Looks chunky and awfully like last years car. I thought someone said they knew Merc were going radical?

Anyway fitting BlackBerry sponsor the team, mediocrity sponsoring mediocrity.


you know every human being on the planet has a smartphone or a tablet or both , and blackberry happens to produce both of them , if they could get a chunk of that market from apple and samsung , it would do wonders

BlackBerry would have to make a half decent phone first. Given the BlackBerry Ten OS that's just been brought out has been slated by most I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon. The market will be Apple and Samsung dominated for a while yet regardless of this Merc sponsorship deal.

Still one wonders what will break down or crash first, Hamilton's BlackBerry or his car...


Slated by most? What does that mean. I'm a developer and been using the Alpha device for about half a year and it's better than the Iphone5 by far. Best OS in the market

Here is someone who knows his stuff...BB is going nowhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Haribo wrote:
Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too


For once we agree :lol: :lol:


The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1379
Location: Wrexham, UK
We should all consider ourselves blessed to have witnessed the moment Johnston and Haribo agree... beautiful.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 675
Johnston wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Who cares about mobile phones?
I don't like the Apple( too much contol over the users) stuff & BlackBerry I don't like, too


For once we agree :lol: :lol:


The only people I know who like their Blackberries are on the wrong end of teenagedom and still going through puberty. .


:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Sevenfest wrote:

:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.



I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:04 am
Posts: 675
Johnston wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:

:-((

I liked my old one, so much easier to type long emails and messages. Touch screens suck balls for typing long messages.

Other than that though...No comparison.



I've never used one myself so don't know. It was just an observation. My last job all the Managers were given them for company phones and hated them. Most swapped to Nokias they got themselves and anyone else I know above the age of responsibility that got one has hated theirs.

I used to have a HTC with a touchscreen and a slidey pad keyboard. Now that was a doggies balls phone.



My contract comes up for renewal this month, think I need something like that.
...wow this is a tangent :lol:

OT: I quite like the new merc. Pity about the livery staying the same again but I'm curious to see how the back end does.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am
Posts: 215
RickM wrote:
Given BlackBerry's financial situation I doubt they were bringing enough money to make demands like that. They have been in pretty serious financial difficulty for a few years now, and their products just arent selling. If the BB10 flops (which its obviously expected to do) it'll likely be the end for them.

I hope you are more knowledgeable about F1 than you are about mobile phone technology

Image

Apple's market capitalisation has fallen more than Microsoft is worth in the past 6 months, while RIMs share price has more than doubled, admittedly from a low point.

Corporates will NEVER adopt iOS because the OS prevents remote support by design, you try guiding 1,000 field sales people through a roll out issue on the phone rather than taking control and doing it yourself.

_________________
Sebastien Vettel, the youngest driver ever to have the fastest car in F1 for four consecutive years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:57 pm
Posts: 272
Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1379
Location: Wrexham, UK
Dalemac wrote:
Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image

Does... not... compute....

That helmet doesn't work does it? At least we'll be able to spot the difference between Nico and Lewis... the one that looks like it belongs in a Merc is Rosberg, the helmet which looks out of place is Hamilton.

_________________
"You are the universe expressing itself as a Human for a little while..."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 am
Posts: 469
Is it just me or the car looks too bulky? It doesn´t have a sleek, fluid shape and looks rather fat and heavy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 6040
Rosberg doesn't expect the car to be among the fastest in the first races.
http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorspor ... 99920.html

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Rosberg - Bottas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 972
Dalemac wrote:
Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image


The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:47 am
Posts: 215
Dare I suggest that the W04's nose job is by Nicole Scherzinger's plastic surgeon

_________________
Sebastien Vettel, the youngest driver ever to have the fastest car in F1 for four consecutive years


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 6040
MistaVega23 wrote:
Dalemac wrote:
Seeing Lewis in the Merc is a bit strange.

Image


The car doesn't look too bad from that angle. Other shots make it look minging.

Good to see Lewis back in the car though - 39 days baby!

Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Rosberg - Bottas


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: Sheffield, S. Yorks
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: LONDON...!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSfVp161XVs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am
Posts: 2290
Location: Singapore
So how do we tell who is Lewis and Nico? Not the Scherzinger definitely.. LOL.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Covalent wrote:
Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x



On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 pm
Posts: 1415
Johnston wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Is that Lewis and not Nico?


And so it begins!! :x



On race day look at the T cam not the Helmet ;)

i can tell by the Helmet
But who is the No.1 then ?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shoot999 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group