planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:35 pm 

All this for what will turn out to be a crap car

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:37 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
I think Mercedes would rather gradually sell shares with option to buy the team back, but still ensure that Barckley team call their cars Mercedes, at least for some time. This is what Renault did in addition to staying as an engine supplier. Remember that Renault owned 0 shares in team during 2011 season, but cars were still officially Renault. I wouldn't expect sudden quit like Toyota, BMW or Honda.

IIRC the name didn't change because of the Concorde agreement , not because Renault wanted their name to stay on the team.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:50 pm 

Johnston wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
I think Mercedes would rather gradually sell shares with option to buy the team back, but still ensure that Barckley team call their cars Mercedes, at least for some time. This is what Renault did in addition to staying as an engine supplier. Remember that Renault owned 0 shares in team during 2011 season, but cars were still officially Renault. I wouldn't expect sudden quit like Toyota, BMW or Honda.

IIRC the name didn't change because of the Concorde agreement , not because Renault wanted their name to stay on the team.

I bet Renault was very well aware of that. They weren't very desperate to quit, they knew what they are doing. In 2011 according to Joe Saward Renault still could buy the team back as they loaned money to Genii when they bought the shares from Renault and in 2011 or before the season the money wasn't fully paid back. Renault Sport and engine department were reorganized in the eve of 2012 season anyway when Renault Sport took over engine development from F1 team. It wasn't BMW Sauber Ferrari situation. And note that Renault promised to stay until 2012 and they didn't do it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 pm 

So were BMW when they pulled. But they were happy to see a BMW branded car with a Ferrari engine :blush:

It means nothing because of the Concorde. Inferring anything else is jumping the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:59 pm 

Johnston wrote:
So were BMW when they pulled. But they were happy to see a BMW branded car with a Ferrari engine :blush:

It means nothing because of the Concorde. Inferring anything else is jumping the gun.

I edited my post above to make it clear that Renault promised to stay till 2012 not 2011 as they did. Also the team, unlike Sauver was treaten as a offical works team with all, but financal support.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:02 pm 

Back to Mercedes...

...I was hoping for a livery update but it looks the same as last year. I'd have thought with a new star driver they'd want to have pushed a newish image. Maybe for 2014.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 pm 

The concorde was until the end of 2012. Remember it took the other teams permission for the name change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/15579228

If the teams voted against it would still be Renault. Whether Renault liked it or not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:16 pm 

Johnston wrote:
The concorde was until the end of 2012. Remember it took the other teams permission for the name change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/15579228

If the teams voted against it would still be Renault. Whether Renault liked it or not.

This is what I wanted to say. I don't know what you want to say, but it was nothing like BMW Sauber where team used name without being related to BMW anymore. Renault on their corporate sites refered to Enstone team as their own team, linked to team site as their works team, team had Renault officals speaking on a behalf of team. Concorde agreement was all about team name, not even branding. Renault wasn't forced to do what they did to team.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:20 pm 

Think there is maybe confusion because for a while it was Renault with Genii with a part share. Then at some time GENII bought Renault out so it was 100% GENII (although the money came from a loan from Renault) but had the Renault name. IIRC this was when Lotus was just a title sponsor. That year Renault had nothing to do with the team but the team was still Renault although they tried to go by Lotus. But Renault had nothing to do with the team bar the loan money at that time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:46 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Think there is maybe confusion because for a while it was Renault with Genii with a part share. Then at some time GENII bought Renault out so it was 100% GENII (although the money came from a loan from Renault) but had the Renault name. IIRC this was when Lotus was just a title sponsor. That year Renault had nothing to do with the team but the team was still Renault although they tried to go by Lotus. But Renault had nothing to do with the team bar the loan money at that time.

Oke. Fair enough. They are details. This what I expect from Mercedes if they decide to quit, similarly to quitting McLaren. Although I can't see them quitting as a works team in the next 2-3 seasons. Beyond that time we can't predict anything.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:07 pm 

2 seasons...maybe, but 3 seasons, i the car and drivers won't deliver, would actually sound optimistic. Considering they are already 3 years in the game, I would expect if 2 seasons go bad, they wouldn't be a factory team by the 3rd one.
Of course, it all could change with the introduction of the V6 and we might see a long and prosperous Mercedes works team for a long time yet.
Back to the immediate situation, we'll wait for tomorrow to see the actual car. I'm not even that tiddled anymore at Mercedes for pulling a fast one on us , after I saw what RedBull did today to those journalists. Geez...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:26 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
All this for what will turn out to be a crap car

Hope you are not too disappointed if it's not

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:51 pm 

Updated merc picture - looks like they added the top of the car now!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:00 pm 

The Launch W03 for comparison

I hope it's relevant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 pm 

Well, at least it confirms that the cropped photo shows this year's vehicle. There are some visible differences to see even by a four-eyes newbie like me...barge boards, slightly rounder air intake, minimal livery changes ( and I mean really minimal, I guess paint must be expensive nowadays)... the nose looks pretty much the same, except the modesty plate...

Anybody got any idea about the suspension? I can't make heads or tails about it in the cropped photo, besides I can't see the differences between a push or pull-road anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

Minimal changes at best for the 2013 car then. Anyone got a high res pic of the Brazil 2012 spec car?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:26 pm 

The sidepod air intakes look quite a bit bigger. Probably due to the problem they had in pre-season testing last year. IIRC the side of the car actually went brown from where it got too hot! Hence the obscene amount of black towards the middle and end of the car all season.

Laura - this is the best one I could find from Brazil:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:28 pm 

Scrap that. Found 1 more:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:30 pm 

Thanks Rick. New wallpaper for my iPad too!

I still think Merc are only making minimal changes for the start of the year. I wouldn't be shocked if focus has already begun shifting towards 2014 already tbh. That was what lured Lewis in the first place, the promise of 2014- glory.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 pm 

Tbh, it looks like the rate the garage door opens has nothing to do with the amount of people tweeting, just on a set timer that will reveal more and more till tomorrow launch time...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:23 pm 

dannyjames8 wrote:
Tbh, it looks like the rate the garage door opens has nothing to do with the amount of people tweeting, just on a set timer that will reveal more and more till tomorrow launch time...

Yup! A lot of places do it just to get social media interest as you've got no way of proving if the hashtag stuff has any effect or not.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Well, at least it confirms that the cropped photo shows this year's vehicle. There are some visible differences to see even by a four-eyes newbie like me...barge boards, slightly rounder air intake, minimal livery changes ( and I mean really minimal, I guess paint must be expensive nowadays)... the nose looks pretty much the same, except the modesty plate...

Anybody got any idea about the suspension? I can't make heads or tails about it in the cropped photo, besides I can't see the differences between a push or pull-road anyway.

It was said they ae going to have push rod (front) , like ferrari & McLaren( now)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:48 pm 

Haribo wrote:
ATM2 wrote:

It was said they ae going to have push rod (front) , like ferrari & McLaren( now)

you mean to say pull-rod like Ferrari and McLaren...

edit: I know you're a Lewis fan, but the fact is that Merc so far have made great engines, but rubbish cars. nothing so far points that there will be a change in status quo.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:05 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
ATM2 wrote:

edit: I know you're a Lewis fan, but the fact is that Merc so far have made great engines, but rubbish cars. nothing so far points that there will be a change in status quo.

You mean Brackley have made rubbish cars. :-P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Yeah, I heard they were going for pull-rod like Ferrari and McLaren. But from what I see in the picture it's still push-rod.

Ferrari http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg
McLaren http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg
Mercedes in Brazil http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... 012-22.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:41 am 

Johnston wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
ATM2 wrote:

You mean Brackley have made rubbish cars. :-P

you got me!

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am 

Seems like unusual rectangular winglet similar to Lotus's passive double DRS system. Other than that, besidez the nose, looks totally similar to W03.

Not so bright from Merc. Pity for Ham and Berg...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:40 am 

And now the lights fail at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome during the Super Bowl. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
And now the lights fail at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome during the Super Bowl. :lol:

They diverted all the power to their web servers...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 am 

Adaemus wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

:lol:

Wow.. Watching it. I have a feeling more ppl will be talking about the Superbowl fail than the launch fail. :lol:
Merc having a bad day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:03 am 

Mr-E wrote:
Adaemus wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Wow.. Watching it. I have a feeling more ppl will be talking about the Superbowl fail than the launch fail. :lol:
Merc having a bad day.

More like a bad weekend.

The problem for me is as a Ravens fan is that at this point the game couldn't be over fast enough, and this is dragging it out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:04 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 am 

"Please turn on the lights in your silly virtual garage car reveal"

"Okay, but we have to turn off some lights elsewhere then"

#pennypinching

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 am 

If I were Nico and Lewis, I'd be laughing at this... and panicking!!! Lots of panic laughter!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:08 am 

I don't find this as amusing as I did at the time. :(
Edit: But all worked out in the end :)

Last edited by RaggedMan on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:25 am 

This launch is so awkward it's hilarious, and yet it continues.

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:51 am 

Well, It has been a slow release of a slow car :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:15 am 

What time is the actual Reveal today?

Have to go to the big smoke, might have to Hi jack Wi Fi on the phone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:15 am 

ashley313 wrote:
"Please turn on the lights in your silly virtual garage car reveal"

"Okay, but we have to turn off some lights elsewhere then"

#pennypinching

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 am 

so after all this silliness , someone care to tell the actual time of unveiling the car today and if its being broadcasted internetly ?