planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Lads and Ladettes. It's testing this is what it is for. Look at McLaren in '11 they hardly ran a full race distance in all the tests combined. Look how that turned out. Or Lotus and their dodgy chassis last year.

Jerez is basically a shakedown anyway to niggle out these problems as well.

As gets said every year. It's only testing it means nothing.

I'm sure you're right, which it was why i felt it so strange that he came across so underwhelmed. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Lads and Ladettes. It's testing this is what it is for. Look at McLaren in '11 they hardly ran a full race distance in all the tests combined. Look how that turned out. Or Lotus and their dodgy chassis last year.

Jerez is basically a shakedown anyway to niggle out these problems as well.

As gets said every year. It's only testing it means nothing.

I agree with you. According to last year's Jerez and Barcelona results, either Williams or Lotus should've been the top dogs. McLarens barely scratched 4th or 5th on the time sheets yet they came as the first title contenders. Similarly, Red Bull didn't show anything during the tests, yet on Australia they were totally different. And don't forget the trick of DDRS the Merc came only in Australia when everybody started to panic on FP2 Melbourne '12 when Schumacher finished first.

So testing means basically nothing to the true performance. That should vaguely be obvious on FP1 Melbourne.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm 

Eh, we'll never know until it actually starts. If I remember correctly, Brawn 2009 mopped the floor with the the competition even in the tests they've participated. So, sometimes, it does show some signs...anyway, Jerez is always a shot in the dark, everybody's verifying their blueprints and trying to hide whatever next big thing they've discovered, but it's the best discussion subject we have so far. We've got to say something, be it good, bad, catastrophic, otherwise it would be just like ignoring the session, wouldn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm 

SteveC84 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
ebanks wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but....

http://youtu.be/D6TZOoLCXNI

Dont want to read too much into the short interview, but Lewis didnt seem happy, especially when you contrast how Nico was after his drive, Nico said similar things regarding "wrong tires" and "waiting until testing" etc but he still seemed a lot more upbeat than Lewis.

As a Lewis fan admittedly i'm hoping that Im just reading too much into things, but you know when Lewis is happy about something as his face is very easy to read and to me he looks concerned.

Thought....

Pretty much what I was thinking too. :?

Thoguht the same too. No doubt he was comparing it to the McLaren.

who would've thunk that a team which made poor cars three years in a row, would suck again.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm 

I know it doesn't matter but would love Lewis to set a 1:18 tomorrrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
SteveC84 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
ebanks wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but....

http://youtu.be/D6TZOoLCXNI

Dont want to read too much into the short interview, but Lewis didnt seem happy, especially when you contrast how Nico was after his drive, Nico said similar things regarding "wrong tires" and "waiting until testing" etc but he still seemed a lot more upbeat than Lewis.

As a Lewis fan admittedly i'm hoping that Im just reading too much into things, but you know when Lewis is happy about something as his face is very easy to read and to me he looks concerned.

Thought....

Pretty much what I was thinking too. :?

Thoguht the same too. No doubt he was comparing it to the McLaren.

who would've thunk that a team which made poor cars three years in a row, would suck again.

This, especially since the rules are pretty much the same as last year. No team is suddenly going to find over a second with a car that is just a evolution of the previous one. It'll take time and effort and possibly a massive upheaval in the rules before that will happen. 2014 is make or break for Merc and Hamilton.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 pm 

Perhaps make or break for Merc, but sertainly not for Hamilton, he will only be 28 by then and have alot of good racing skills in him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Perhaps make or break for Merc, but sertainly not for Hamilton, he will only be 28 by then and have alot of good racing skills in him.

Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm 

All right, good point. It would be a shame if it turns out like that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.

Thats one of the reasons I reckon it 's a bigger gamble than some think. Never mind that between now and then we could get another hotshot like he was steeling the limelight that the top boys will paw over.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
All right, good point. It would be a shame if it turns out like that.

It would indeed but it's happened before, look at Jacques Villenueve. He went to a floundering team, albeit one which had just started, and never recovered. Hamilton is putting a lot of faith in people he doesn't know for the next few years. The Mercedes team he thought he was joining has been slowly dismantled as well.

But time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:

cough cough!

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 pm 

JBee wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

cough cough!

In the rain, on slicks!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Thats one of the reasons I reckon it 's a bigger gamble than some think. Never mind that between now and then we could get another hotshot like he was steeling the limelight that the top boys will paw over.

In the next three years that could be very likely. if Hulkenburg shines for Sauber then surely McLaren will look at him as a replacement for Button down the line, Ferrari will want him with Alonso providing he isn't seen as a threat and he could even go to Red Bull with Vettel. Someone like say Calado could come in and impress quickly getting himself into a Red Bull/Lotus/Ferrari quickly too. Lewis went through an open door to Mercedes but he could find several closed behind him and he can't find the key.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 pm 

MclarenBullet wrote:
JBee wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:

cough cough!

In the rain, on slicks!!

now your being ridiculous! 8)

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

In the next three years that could be very likely. if Hulkenburg shines for Sauber then surely McLaren will look at him as a replacement for Button down the line, Ferrari will want him with Alonso providing he isn't seen as a threat and he could even go to Red Bull with Vettel. Someone like say Calado could come in and impress quickly getting himself into a Red Bull/Lotus/Ferrari quickly too. Lewis went through an open door to Mercedes but he could find several closed behind him and he can't find the key.

I don't think he will ever want to go back to McLaren
He left a great car & more money behind just to get out there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm 

Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)

This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years

Just imagine if he had said "I want my old job back"!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 pm 

JBee wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)This was quite telling

Just imagine if he had said "I want my old job back"!!!

All the people who met him, or interviewed Hamilton recently said he is a different person, now, relaxed, open, happy, joking
Whatever he was looking for the last few years, looks like he has found it at Mercedes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)

This was quite telling

Yeah because he's really going to say he was happier with his old team so so much on his first day with his new one.

Get a grip. There is nothing stopping him returning to McLaren if they want him and it goes pear shapes with Merc. Nothing. Some of you Hammy fans just like to think you know what goes on in his head to fit your silly anti McLaren agendas. Here's a fact for you, Lewis isn't anti McLaren. He wanted a change, he wanted to prove himself elsewhere. But don't let that get in the way of your silliness guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Not only has he not ruled it out he's even hinted at "Going back home" . Some sources also reckon Merc are giving him a bumper 19 mill a year.

There was an article in one of the Mags recently about it all.

Quote:
Hamilton will indeed receive
a higher salary at Mercedes
than McLaren offered. In 2012,
Hamilton earned about £15m
at McLaren, including bonuses.
Their first offer to him (around
May time) was £12.5m, plus
bonuses, which was upped to
£13.7m in response to Mercedes’
first bid of £17.5m, plus bonuses.
Mercedes countered McLaren’s
improved offer with £19.4m,
on top of which Hamilton will
also be able to earn more in
endorsements than at McLaren.
McLaren found themselves in a
difficult position with Hamilton’s
contract negotiations. Dependent
on private sponsorship in an
ongoing financial crisis, they
would always have found it
difficult to match Mercedes’ offer.

F1 Racing February.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 pm 

We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Not only has he not ruled it out he's even hinted at "Going back home" . Some sources also reckon Merc are giving him a bumper 19 mill a year.

There was an article in one of the Mags recently about it all.

Quote:
Hamilton will indeed receive
a higher salary at Mercedes
than McLaren offered. In 2012,
Hamilton earned about £15m
at McLaren, including bonuses.
Their first offer to him (around
May time) was £12.5m, plus
bonuses, which was upped to
£13.7m in response to Mercedes’
first bid of £17.5m, plus bonuses.
Mercedes countered McLaren’s
improved offer with £19.4m,
on top of which Hamilton will
also be able to earn more in
endorsements than at McLaren.
McLaren found themselves in a
difficult position with Hamilton’s
contract negotiations. Dependent
on private sponsorship in an
ongoing financial crisis, they
would always have found it
difficult to match Mercedes’ offer.

F1 Racing February.

So, they know it? I doubt it, why should a magazin know it?

Hamilton said, he turned down a better offer $$ wise from McLaren

I don't see any new personal sponsoring for Lewis, looks like does not want more PR work

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.

Money was not the deciding factor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm 

What ever you say. Only the most deluded Hamilton fan would say money played no factor in the move.

As Dory would say, just keep swimming.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

are you seriously saying he made the move for a coupla extra mill?

like REALLY?

Hamilton, like any other driver wants multiple WDC's. end of! peculiar thing he musta known that 2013 wasnt going to add to his tally! which brings you back to......

No! I dont and will not believe it! 8O 8O 8O 8O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

JBee wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

like REALLY?

Hamilton, like any other driver wants multiple WDC's. end of! peculiar thing he musta known that 2013 wasnt going to add to his tally! which brings you back to......

Maybe he was just fed up with McLaren, and needed a change?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm 

Haribo wrote:
JBee wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

like REALLY?

Maybe he was just fed up with McLaren, and needed a change?

for a coupla extra mill!!!!!!!

he's never gonna write off a year of his short career for a coupla bucks!!!!! Lauda sold him a puppy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm 

Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
So...this brings us back to...?
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.
At this time, Hamilton has only prospects and hopes. But then again we might postpone the conclusion to this discussion until early 2014.

Last edited by ATM2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.

he really really does!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 pm 

Well, then, permit me to quote my previous question:

Why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes?

Let's face it, money had an important part in this move. Maybe not the only part, maybe not the final and decisive push reason, but it mattered nevertheless, in a certain percentage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm 

Don't forget though when DC moved he was in his twilight years his chance for glory gone. Hammy is still in his prime and should still have the hunger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm 

ATM2 wrote:

They are all humans. IMO behind Hamiltons move are personal reasons, more than money or WDCs.
Maybe he just felt caged there, like Damon Hill said?
Maybe Hamilton really needed a change of enviroment? He wasn't a happy man the recent years, even when he won, he did not look happy . Hamilton was 17 years a part of them, this is quite a long time for such a young guy

Yesterday he said at an interview he can breath again, now. Maybe their relationship has just come to an end after all those years

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 pm 

ATM2 wrote:

Why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes?

Let's face it, money had an important part in this move. Maybe not the only part, maybe not the final and decisive push reason, but it mattered nevertheless, in a certain percentage.

it would NEVER be the over-riding factor in my opinion. there HAS to be something else we are not yet seeing!

Think about it, if Caterham offered him £50m (stick with me here - assuming they had the cash), whats being said here is that he would go to them!!!! Please!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 pm 

Well, honestly, for 50 mil I strongly think he would have given it plenty of consideration.
Remember, Hill, the 1996 WDC, went in 1997 to Arrows for similar reasons. Although he had, of course, better variants.

Like I said, maybe not the decisive factor, but it mattered nevertheless.
(I remember also Bernie's Season greetings card - although bad quality humor methinks, it did have a go in that direction too - and if Bernie doesn't know best, who does?)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm 

JBee wrote:
ATM2 wrote:

it would NEVER be the over-riding factor in my opinion. there HAS to be something else we are not yet seeing!

Think about it, if Caterham offered him £50m (stick with me here - assuming they had the cash), whats being said here is that he would go to them!!!! Please!

If you followed Hamilton , it was obvious, he was not very happy the last few years. Whatever it was It dissappeared after he signed for merc, maybe he really felt caged & prisoned there. Every little step from him was planed & organised from very early age on. Dennis even controlled his school marks etc
Maybe Mercedes offered something McLaren couldn't ( because of their PR& sponsor dependance) - FREEDOM
Ever heared about the golden cage?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm 

Haribo wrote:
ATM2 wrote:

They are all humans. IMO behind Hamiltons move are personal reasons, more than money or WDCs.
Maybe he just felt caged there, like Damon Hill said?
Maybe Hamilton really needed a change of enviroment? He wasn't a happy man the recent years, even when he won, he did not look happy . Hamilton was 17 years a part of them, this is quite a long time for such a young guy

Yesterday he said at an interview he can breath again, now. Maybe their relationship has just come to an end after all those years

like I said earlier, imagine if he said "i dont like it here, can I get my old job back"! hes following the company line and for 19M he bloody well needs to! its going to be very interesting to watch LH in the early part of the season when he confirms his thoughts that hes not gonna win it this year and that hes just a bit player (again), queue, another twitter/text/girlfriend meltdown!

Can you here him saying "i can breath again" after 3 races in, and no pace, no podiums and WDC over and done with!.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Well, honestly, for 50 mil I strongly think he would have given it plenty of consideration.
Remember, Hill, the 1996 WDC, went in 1997 to Arrows for similar reasons. Although he had, of course, better variants.

Like I said, maybe not the decisive factor, but it mattered nevertheless.
(I remember also Bernie's Season greetings card - although bad quality humor methinks, it did have a go in that direction too - and if Bernie doesn't know best, who does?)

There was the rumor ( from one of the team bosses who did not want to get named) Hamilton was so unhappy at McL that he even considered other series or a sabbatical year than to stay another year at McLaren
Bernie said Lewis was not happy there for quite some time . He said it as Jordan brought up the Mercedes rumors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm 

Well, if fame and glory is his ultimate goal, i fear he just swiped one golden cage for another. If Mercedes fails to deliver, he might find those German bars even stronger than the Macca days, freedom and all.

I know, I know, he's a fighter, and we are liable to see some very nice racing from him even if the car itself will be a disappointment. But he wants to be in the front, and, if the car will be trash, miracles can only go so far.

Then again, no real reason to actually believe the car is trash. One botched-up testing day, and some cautious press statements are nothing that solid to actually label it from the start as a dog. We'll see how it turns out.