planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:05 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Posts: 26
Johnston wrote:
Lads and Ladettes. It's testing this is what it is for. Look at McLaren in '11 they hardly ran a full race distance in all the tests combined. Look how that turned out. Or Lotus and their dodgy chassis last year.

Jerez is basically a shakedown anyway to niggle out these problems as well.


As gets said every year. It's only testing it means nothing.


I'm sure you're right, which it was why i felt it so strange that he came across so underwhelmed. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:23 am
Posts: 278
Johnston wrote:
Lads and Ladettes. It's testing this is what it is for. Look at McLaren in '11 they hardly ran a full race distance in all the tests combined. Look how that turned out. Or Lotus and their dodgy chassis last year.

Jerez is basically a shakedown anyway to niggle out these problems as well.


As gets said every year. It's only testing it means nothing.


I agree with you. According to last year's Jerez and Barcelona results, either Williams or Lotus should've been the top dogs. McLarens barely scratched 4th or 5th on the time sheets yet they came as the first title contenders. Similarly, Red Bull didn't show anything during the tests, yet on Australia they were totally different. And don't forget the trick of DDRS the Merc came only in Australia when everybody started to panic on FP2 Melbourne '12 when Schumacher finished first.

So testing means basically nothing to the true performance. That should vaguely be obvious on FP1 Melbourne.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Eh, we'll never know until it actually starts. If I remember correctly, Brawn 2009 mopped the floor with the the competition even in the tests they've participated. So, sometimes, it does show some signs...anyway, Jerez is always a shot in the dark, everybody's verifying their blueprints and trying to hide whatever next big thing they've discovered, but it's the best discussion subject we have so far. We've got to say something, be it good, bad, catastrophic, otherwise it would be just like ignoring the session, wouldn't it?

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 2412
SteveC84 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
ebanks wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but....

http://youtu.be/D6TZOoLCXNI

Dont want to read too much into the short interview, but Lewis didnt seem happy, especially when you contrast how Nico was after his drive, Nico said similar things regarding "wrong tires" and "waiting until testing" etc but he still seemed a lot more upbeat than Lewis.

As a Lewis fan admittedly i'm hoping that Im just reading too much into things, but you know when Lewis is happy about something as his face is very easy to read and to me he looks concerned.

Thought....


Pretty much what I was thinking too. :?

Thoguht the same too. No doubt he was comparing it to the McLaren.

who would've thunk that a team which made poor cars three years in a row, would suck again.

_________________
My Top 5 drivers of all times:
1) Prost/ Schumacher
3) Fangio
4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm
Posts: 198
I know it doesn't matter but would love Lewis to set a 1:18 tomorrrow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
garagetinkerer wrote:
SteveC84 wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
ebanks wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but....

http://youtu.be/D6TZOoLCXNI

Dont want to read too much into the short interview, but Lewis didnt seem happy, especially when you contrast how Nico was after his drive, Nico said similar things regarding "wrong tires" and "waiting until testing" etc but he still seemed a lot more upbeat than Lewis.

As a Lewis fan admittedly i'm hoping that Im just reading too much into things, but you know when Lewis is happy about something as his face is very easy to read and to me he looks concerned.

Thought....


Pretty much what I was thinking too. :?

Thoguht the same too. No doubt he was comparing it to the McLaren.

who would've thunk that a team which made poor cars three years in a row, would suck again.

This, especially since the rules are pretty much the same as last year. No team is suddenly going to find over a second with a car that is just a evolution of the previous one. It'll take time and effort and possibly a massive upheaval in the rules before that will happen. 2014 is make or break for Merc and Hamilton.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 536
Perhaps make or break for Merc, but sertainly not for Hamilton, he will only be 28 by then and have alot of good racing skills in him.

_________________
Lewis Hamilton, Ricciardo, Grosjean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
Warheart01 wrote:
Perhaps make or break for Merc, but sertainly not for Hamilton, he will only be 28 by then and have alot of good racing skills in him.

Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 am
Posts: 536
All right, good point. It would be a shame if it turns out like that.

_________________
Lewis Hamilton, Ricciardo, Grosjean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Laura23 wrote:
Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.



Thats one of the reasons I reckon it 's a bigger gamble than some think. Never mind that between now and then we could get another hotshot like he was steeling the limelight that the top boys will paw over.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
Warheart01 wrote:
All right, good point. It would be a shame if it turns out like that.

It would indeed but it's happened before, look at Jacques Villenueve. He went to a floundering team, albeit one which had just started, and never recovered. Hamilton is putting a lot of faith in people he doesn't know for the next few years. The Mercedes team he thought he was joining has been slowly dismantled as well.

But time will tell.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
MclarenBullet wrote:
I know it doesn't matter but would love Lewis to set a 1:18 tomorrrow


cough cough!

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:59 pm
Posts: 198
JBee wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:
I know it doesn't matter but would love Lewis to set a 1:18 tomorrrow


cough cough!


In the rain, on slicks!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.



Thats one of the reasons I reckon it 's a bigger gamble than some think. Never mind that between now and then we could get another hotshot like he was steeling the limelight that the top boys will paw over.

In the next three years that could be very likely. if Hulkenburg shines for Sauber then surely McLaren will look at him as a replacement for Button down the line, Ferrari will want him with Alonso providing he isn't seen as a threat and he could even go to Red Bull with Vettel. Someone like say Calado could come in and impress quickly getting himself into a Red Bull/Lotus/Ferrari quickly too. Lewis went through an open door to Mercedes but he could find several closed behind him and he can't find the key.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
MclarenBullet wrote:
JBee wrote:
MclarenBullet wrote:
I know it doesn't matter but would love Lewis to set a 1:18 tomorrrow


cough cough!


In the rain, on slicks!!


now your being ridiculous! 8)

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Laura23 wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Make or break for both. By the time Hamilton's Merc contract ends he will be 30. If Alonso is still at Ferrari in 2 years, likely, then he won't go there. If Vettel is still at Red Bull in two years, likely, he won't go there. So that leaves McLaren and it all depends if they want him back, I just don't know at this point in time. If Perez works out well for McLaren they won't need Hamilton back. He could find himself cast aside for a new generation and Alonso if he isn't careful.



Thats one of the reasons I reckon it 's a bigger gamble than some think. Never mind that between now and then we could get another hotshot like he was steeling the limelight that the top boys will paw over.

In the next three years that could be very likely. if Hulkenburg shines for Sauber then surely McLaren will look at him as a replacement for Button down the line, Ferrari will want him with Alonso providing he isn't seen as a threat and he could even go to Red Bull with Vettel. Someone like say Calado could come in and impress quickly getting himself into a Red Bull/Lotus/Ferrari quickly too. Lewis went through an open door to Mercedes but he could find several closed behind him and he can't find the key.

I don't think he will ever want to go back to McLaren
He left a great car & more money behind just to get out there.

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)

This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years


Just imagine if he had said "I want my old job back"!!!

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
JBee wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years


Just imagine if he had said "I want my old job back"!!!

All the people who met him, or interviewed Hamilton recently said he is a different person, now, relaxed, open, happy, joking
Whatever he was looking for the last few years, looks like he has found it at Mercedes

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.

He is just diplomatic
Yesterday Lewis was asked wich is the biggest difference between McLaren & Mercedes? Lewis said I'm happier there ( Mercedes)

This was quite telling

Success is not everything in life, if you can't enjoy it. He clearly did not enjoy it at McLaren over the last 2 years

Yeah because he's really going to say he was happier with his old team so so much on his first day with his new one.

Get a grip. There is nothing stopping him returning to McLaren if they want him and it goes pear shapes with Merc. Nothing. Some of you Hammy fans just like to think you know what goes on in his head to fit your silly anti McLaren agendas. Here's a fact for you, Lewis isn't anti McLaren. He wanted a change, he wanted to prove himself elsewhere. But don't let that get in the way of your silliness guys.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.



Not only has he not ruled it out he's even hinted at "Going back home" . Some sources also reckon Merc are giving him a bumper 19 mill a year.

There was an article in one of the Mags recently about it all.

Quote:
Hamilton will indeed receive
a higher salary at Mercedes
than McLaren offered. In 2012,
Hamilton earned about £15m
at McLaren, including bonuses.
Their first offer to him (around
May time) was £12.5m, plus
bonuses, which was upped to
£13.7m in response to Mercedes’
first bid of £17.5m, plus bonuses.
Mercedes countered McLaren’s
improved offer with £19.4m,
on top of which Hamilton will
also be able to earn more in
endorsements than at McLaren.
McLaren found themselves in a
difficult position with Hamilton’s
contract negotiations. Dependent
on private sponsorship in an
ongoing financial crisis, they
would always have found it
difficult to match Mercedes’ offer.


F1 Racing February.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Never say never. Only Hamilton fans think he'll never go back to McLaren, the man himself has never ruled it out.



Not only has he not ruled it out he's even hinted at "Going back home" . Some sources also reckon Merc are giving him a bumper 19 mill a year.

There was an article in one of the Mags recently about it all.

Quote:
Hamilton will indeed receive
a higher salary at Mercedes
than McLaren offered. In 2012,
Hamilton earned about £15m
at McLaren, including bonuses.
Their first offer to him (around
May time) was £12.5m, plus
bonuses, which was upped to
£13.7m in response to Mercedes’
first bid of £17.5m, plus bonuses.
Mercedes countered McLaren’s
improved offer with £19.4m,
on top of which Hamilton will
also be able to earn more in
endorsements than at McLaren.
McLaren found themselves in a
difficult position with Hamilton’s
contract negotiations. Dependent
on private sponsorship in an
ongoing financial crisis, they
would always have found it
difficult to match Mercedes’ offer.


F1 Racing February.

So, they know it? I doubt it, why should a magazin know it?

Hamilton said, he turned down a better offer $$ wise from McLaren

I don't see any new personal sponsoring for Lewis, looks like does not want more PR work

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Laura23 wrote:
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.

Money was not the deciding factor

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7005
Location: London
What ever you say. Only the most deluded Hamilton fan would say money played no factor in the move.

As Dory would say, just keep swimming.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
Laura23 wrote:
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.


are you seriously saying he made the move for a coupla extra mill?

like REALLY?

Hamilton, like any other driver wants multiple WDC's. end of! peculiar thing he musta known that 2013 wasnt going to add to his tally! which brings you back to......

No! I dont and will not believe it! 8O 8O 8O 8O

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
JBee wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.


are you seriously saying he made the move for a coupla extra mill?

like REALLY?

Hamilton, like any other driver wants multiple WDC's. end of! peculiar thing he musta known that 2013 wasnt going to add to his tally! which brings you back to......

No! I dont and will not believe it! 8O 8O 8O 8O

Maybe he was just fed up with McLaren, and needed a change?

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
Haribo wrote:
JBee wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
We all know it was motivated largely, not completely, but money. F1 is a sport driven by cash so why should it's drivers be any different? But those who said Hamilton didn't think of the money at all are seriously lacking gumption.


are you seriously saying he made the move for a coupla extra mill?

like REALLY?

Hamilton, like any other driver wants multiple WDC's. end of! peculiar thing he musta known that 2013 wasnt going to add to his tally! which brings you back to......

No! I dont and will not believe it! 8O 8O 8O 8O

Maybe he was just fed up with McLaren, and needed a change?


for a coupla extra mill!!!!!!!

he's never gonna write off a year of his short career for a coupla bucks!!!!! Lauda sold him a puppy!

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
So...this brings us back to...?
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.
At this time, Hamilton has only prospects and hopes. But then again we might postpone the conclusion to this discussion until early 2014.

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Last edited by ATM2 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
ATM2 wrote:
Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
So...this brings us back to...?
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.


he really really does!

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Well, then, permit me to quote my previous question:

Why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes?

Let's face it, money had an important part in this move. Maybe not the only part, maybe not the final and decisive push reason, but it mattered nevertheless, in a certain percentage.

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 6:41 pm
Posts: 6587
Don't forget though when DC moved he was in his twilight years his chance for glory gone. Hammy is still in his prime and should still have the hunger.

_________________
Disclaimer: The above post maybe tongue in cheek.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
ATM2 wrote:
Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
So...this brings us back to...?
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.

They are all humans. IMO behind Hamiltons move are personal reasons, more than money or WDCs.
Maybe he just felt caged there, like Damon Hill said?
Maybe Hamilton really needed a change of enviroment? He wasn't a happy man the recent years, even when he won, he did not look happy . Hamilton was 17 years a part of them, this is quite a long time for such a young guy

Yesterday he said at an interview he can breath again, now. Maybe their relationship has just come to an end after all those years

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
ATM2 wrote:
Well, then, permit me to quote my previous question:

Why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes?

Let's face it, money had an important part in this move. Maybe not the only part, maybe not the final and decisive push reason, but it mattered nevertheless, in a certain percentage.


it would NEVER be the over-riding factor in my opinion. there HAS to be something else we are not yet seeing!

Think about it, if Caterham offered him £50m (stick with me here - assuming they had the cash), whats being said here is that he would go to them!!!! Please!

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Well, honestly, for 50 mil I strongly think he would have given it plenty of consideration.
Remember, Hill, the 1996 WDC, went in 1997 to Arrows for similar reasons. Although he had, of course, better variants.

Like I said, maybe not the decisive factor, but it mattered nevertheless.
(I remember also Bernie's Season greetings card - although bad quality humor methinks, it did have a go in that direction too - and if Bernie doesn't know best, who does?)

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
JBee wrote:
ATM2 wrote:
Well, then, permit me to quote my previous question:

Why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes?

Let's face it, money had an important part in this move. Maybe not the only part, maybe not the final and decisive push reason, but it mattered nevertheless, in a certain percentage.


it would NEVER be the over-riding factor in my opinion. there HAS to be something else we are not yet seeing!

Think about it, if Caterham offered him £50m (stick with me here - assuming they had the cash), whats being said here is that he would go to them!!!! Please!

If you followed Hamilton , it was obvious, he was not very happy the last few years. Whatever it was It dissappeared after he signed for merc, maybe he really felt caged & prisoned there. Every little step from him was planed & organised from very early age on. Dennis even controlled his school marks etc
Maybe Mercedes offered something McLaren couldn't ( because of their PR& sponsor dependance) - FREEDOM
Ever heared about the golden cage?

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:15 pm
Posts: 96
Haribo wrote:
ATM2 wrote:
Assuming really WDC is all he cares about, why go from a consistent front line contender, like McLaren, to a team which didn't deliver, like Mercedes, that I'll never know.
Which is why I won't understand moves like Hill's, Villeneuve's, Piquet's (the big one, not the little one)...the only one who made this kind of move stick was Schumacher.
So...this brings us back to...?
Then again, I remember Coulthard, after his move to RBR, making a similar statement, that he's found happiness. Maybe Macca are really uptight, but that's the was a winning British team probably will always be.

They are all humans. IMO behind Hamiltons move are personal reasons, more than money or WDCs.
Maybe he just felt caged there, like Damon Hill said?
Maybe Hamilton really needed a change of enviroment? He wasn't a happy man the recent years, even when he won, he did not look happy . Hamilton was 17 years a part of them, this is quite a long time for such a young guy

Yesterday he said at an interview he can breath again, now. Maybe their relationship has just come to an end after all those years


like I said earlier, imagine if he said "i dont like it here, can I get my old job back"! hes following the company line and for 19M he bloody well needs to! its going to be very interesting to watch LH in the early part of the season when he confirms his thoughts that hes not gonna win it this year and that hes just a bit player (again), queue, another twitter/text/girlfriend meltdown!

Can you here him saying "i can breath again" after 3 races in, and no pace, no podiums and WDC over and done with!.

_________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lets look sharp people, I want a quick dispersal this time.............check those corners......check those corners!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
ATM2 wrote:
Well, honestly, for 50 mil I strongly think he would have given it plenty of consideration.
Remember, Hill, the 1996 WDC, went in 1997 to Arrows for similar reasons. Although he had, of course, better variants.

Like I said, maybe not the decisive factor, but it mattered nevertheless.
(I remember also Bernie's Season greetings card - although bad quality humor methinks, it did have a go in that direction too - and if Bernie doesn't know best, who does?)

There was the rumor ( from one of the team bosses who did not want to get named) Hamilton was so unhappy at McL that he even considered other series or a sabbatical year than to stay another year at McLaren
Bernie said Lewis was not happy there for quite some time . He said it as Jordan brought up the Mercedes rumors

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Well, if fame and glory is his ultimate goal, i fear he just swiped one golden cage for another. If Mercedes fails to deliver, he might find those German bars even stronger than the Macca days, freedom and all.

I know, I know, he's a fighter, and we are liable to see some very nice racing from him even if the car itself will be a disappointment. But he wants to be in the front, and, if the car will be trash, miracles can only go so far.

Then again, no real reason to actually believe the car is trash. One botched-up testing day, and some cautious press statements are nothing that solid to actually label it from the start as a dog. We'll see how it turns out.

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fiki, joshb, mikeyg123, mph, Pedrosa_4_Ever, shoot999, TemeV, vikz22, wj_gibson and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.152s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]