planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: McLaren 50th Anniversary
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:33 pm 

The first of 3 short films
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E1m8ZxFmU&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:37 pm 

Loved that video. They had it just before the launch, looking forward t the others.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:13 am 

I was pleased to see when I watched the MP4-28 launch on Sky earlier they showed off some iconic cars from their 50 years and celebrated Bruce McLaren. They even started with the Can-Am M8 that took so many titles in the series for McLaren and Hulme and Bruce died in when testing the D variant.

Shame however Ron's Project Four Racing didn't recognise his contribution when they revealed the top 50 McLaren drivers of all time. I mean, they even had Philippe Alliot who only completed 21 laps for the team on the list. Let's hope they remember Bruce properly this time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:48 am 

Good wee clip, moving and inspiring.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:12 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:
I was pleased to see when I watched the MP4-28 launch on Sky earlier they showed off some iconic cars from their 50 years and celebrated Bruce McLaren. They even started with the Can-Am M8 that took so many titles in the series for McLaren and Hulme and Bruce died in when testing the D variant.

Shame however Ron's Project Four Racing didn't recognise his contribution when they revealed the top 50 McLaren drivers of all time. I mean, they even had Philippe Alliot who only completed 21 laps for the team on the list. Let's hope they remember Bruce properly this time.

:thumbup:

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:15 am 

scuderia_stevie wrote:

They did not have Bruce Mclaren in that list!?

edit - just checked, you are quite right. Shame on Mclaren picking and choosing when to use the real teams history. How oculd you overlook the teams founder in a top 50 drivers list. Not as if he was not a good driver, he finished 2nd in the Spainsh GP the month before he died.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:30 am 

lamo wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

edit - just checked, you are quite right. Shame on Mclaren picking and choosing when to use the real teams history. How oculd you overlook the teams founder in a top 50 drivers list. Not as if he was not a good driver, he finished 2nd in the Spainsh GP the month before he died.

I don't claim to know anything going on at Woking, but I'm pretty surprised they made such a FUBAR of the entire affair. I wonder if Ron knew of this.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
lamo wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

I don't claim to know anything going on at Woking, but I'm pretty surprised they made such a FUBAR of the entire affair. I wonder if Ron knew of this.

I wasn't gong to mention it, but seeing as we are talking FUBAR's they also had Bruce McLaren voiced by an Aussie in that video (for those that didn't know, he was a New Zealander). I'm not entirely at ease with the whole concept of the video being set in the immediate aftermath of the crash that killed him either, but the understanding and portrayal of the fundamental drive of the team's founder just about makes up for it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 am 

lamo wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

Bruce is included in the number 1 driver article in that top 50 Macca drivers' list.

"Remembering the great Ayrton Senna, we've also taken the opportunity to take a look at the career of McLaren's founder Bruce McLaren, who was born in 1937 with a career encompassing 101 Grands Prix with 4 wins."

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page/ayrton-senna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:40 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
lamo wrote:
scuderia_stevie wrote:

Bruce is included in the number 1 driver article in that top 50 Macca drivers' list.

"Remembering the great Ayrton Senna, we've also taken the opportunity to take a look at the career of McLaren's founder Bruce McLaren, who was born in 1937 with a career encompassing 101 Grands Prix with 4 wins."

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/page/ayrton-senna

So they recognise his contribution, but he's not one of the 50 top drivers? How does that work? Put him as a separate entry, not a comparison to or footnote in Senna's.

What Ron brought to the team was immense it turns out, what Philip Morris brought was even more important for the merger and survival, but without Bruce there would have been no team to merge with and Ron may have disappeared without trace.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 pm 

I think it's pretty simple.

They didn't want to try and rank Bruce as a driver against drivers from different eras, when he was much more important to McLaren than in just that role obviously. So they basically ranked him and Senna as equally important in their contribution to the team. Was Senna the best McLaren driver ever? Probably. Was Bruce the second best driver ever? Or Fourth or Tenth? Who really knows, both of their careers were cut short while they were in their prime, so it's impossible to say.

From the website: "Born 23 years apart almost on opposite sides of the world, Bruce McLaren and Ayrton Senna made gigantic contributions to a Formula 1 team which left a dynamic mark in the sand thanks to their inspirational qualities."

As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:37 pm 

seandean41 wrote:
I think it's pretty simple.

They didn't want to try and rank Bruce as a driver against drivers from different eras, when he was much more important to McLaren than in just that role obviously. So they basically ranked him and Senna as equally important in their contribution to the team. Was Senna the best McLaren driver ever? Probably. Was Bruce the second best driver ever? Or Fourth or Tenth? Who really knows, both of their careers were cut short while they were in their prime, so it's impossible to say.

From the website: "Born 23 years apart almost on opposite sides of the world, Bruce McLaren and Ayrton Senna made gigantic contributions to a Formula 1 team which left a dynamic mark in the sand thanks to their inspirational qualities."

A totally level headed post and I think spot on

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love