planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New cars thus far....
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:30 am 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21261099

Sauber is still the best looking , then Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:34 am 

Best: Sauber

Worst: Lotus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:52 am 

Sauber=cool
Lotus=cool
Ferrari=cool
Redbull=boring
Mclaren=boring
Force India=boring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:59 am 

I honestly like that redbull and lotus have kept the step noses, knowing that there's no functional improvement to the vanity plate makes them seem less geared for performance and therefore less aggressive looking. Speed, ultimately, is sexy. Not vanity, IMHO.

Sauber looks a tad boring to me and verging pretty close to merc and mcl, 6 silver cars on the grid?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:08 am 

dukieboy wrote:
Sauber=cool
Lotus=cool
Ferrari=cool
Redbull=boring
Mclaren=boring
Force India=boring

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 am 

dukieboy wrote:
Sauber=cool
Lotus=cool
Ferrari=cool
Redbull=boring
Mclaren=boring
Force India=boring

Pretty much this.

In order for me:

Ferrari
Sauber
Lotus
McLaren
Red Bull
Force India

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am 

The RB isn't exciting, but it looks good, as their cars usually do.
Sauber is rather beautiful - 2010 HRT vibes maybe, but there's something very appealing about that shape.
Ferrari I first thought looked quite good, now I've changed my mind. Not really exciting at all, though better than last year.
FI is plain boring. Nothing exciting at all here.
McLaren doesn't look too different from last year on the outside. Maybe it actually is different on the inside, but it looks alike.
Lotus I disliked at first, and I still don't like the livery, but the shape - even with the stepped nose - looks like an aggressive racing car. I like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:32 am 

At least Sauber have made an effort into changing their colours for 2013 - much better than last year too. And the front-on shot of the Ferrari actually scares my 4-year-old niece.

The others are just boring. And the Lotus is hideous.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 am 

we have 3 different silver/chrome/grey cars now.

:smug:

the RB9 looks more like a Toro Rosso to me now, hopefully the TR isnt gonna look like a RB!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:41 am 

Sutton wrote:

the RB9 looks more like a Toro Rosso to me now, hopefully the TR isnt gonna look like a RB!!

I forgot about Toro Rosso's existence to be honest. I still hope they bring out a Diet Red Bull theme and go light blue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:58 am 

Sauber looks really beautiful. I think, the McLaren's and Ferrari's always look beautiful. The Ferrari, last year was a stinker, but with the return of some black, it looks glorious again. They could still do away with the white. I haven't sen the Mercedes yet. The Lotus, is nice, but the pure black and golden was just gorgeous. The red makes it look a little ugly, but still ok. The RedBull, looks absolutely pathetic. Force India never looks good to me anyway.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:03 am 

Kushal Msc-3 wrote:
Sauber looks really beautiful. I think, the McLaren's and Ferrari's always look beautiful. The Ferrari, last year was a stinker, but with the return of some black, it looks glorious again. They could still do away with the white. I haven't sen the Mercedes yet. The Lotus, is nice, but the pure black and golden was just gorgeous. The red makes it look a little ugly, but still ok. The RedBull, looks absolutely pathetic. Force India never looks good to me anyway.

I think the black was on the Ferrari last year, it's just the white strip makes it stand out more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:13 am 

I like this year's cars (so far) better than last year's. I hope Lotus will find a useful panel to hide their duckbill, but their black livery does make it stand out less. I liked last year's Ferrari from the pods backwards, but even their vanity panel doesn't improve their front section. That's the biggest disappointment so far, though perhaps the red they use these days may play a part in how boxy it comes across.

I hope the Sauber will look as good in daylight as it did under the spotlights.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am 
McLaren--> ok-ish but getting boring
Ferrari--> not sure I like the dark strip at the bottom
Sauber--> nice but an HRT copy
Red Bull--> blue+purple+white+red+yellow=OVERKILL
Force India--> never liked it since day one but with that name they couldn't have done anything different
Lotus--> since all their sponsors are red why do they still bother with the black & gold livery? they have ruined it... just paint the car red and get it over with...

I expect the new Mercedes, Williams & Caterham to be decent while the new Marussia and Toro Rosso will probably remain mediocre.

My favorite from last year---> Caterham (the livery, not the actual shape of the car!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm 

Fiki wrote:
I like this year's cars (so far) better than last year's. I hope Lotus will find a useful panel to hide their duckbill, but their black livery does make it stand out less. I liked last year's Ferrari from the pods backwards, but even their vanity panel doesn't improve their front section. That's the biggest disappointment so far, though perhaps the red they use these days may play a part in how boxy it comes across.

I think it's hard for teams like Lotus and Merc whose noses taper to a point, thus making it harder to hide the step, or so I would have thought.

Fortunately those are the step noses that look better anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:27 pm 

Eva09 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I think it's hard for teams like Lotus and Merc whose noses taper to a point, thus making it harder to hide the step, or so I would have thought.
I think you're right, that may be the reason, Eva. I hope some of the technical analysts will go into this. I must say I rather like how Mercedes made their car look last year and this.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:21 pm 

Sutton wrote:

Back in the early days the colors pertained to nationality so there were several Silver cars in the same color from different manufacturers.

RED......................ITALIAN
GREEN..................BRITISH
SILVER..................GERMAN
BLUE.....................FRENCH
WHITE...................JAPANESE (Red Sun is usually present)
WHITE WITH BLUE STRIPES/BLUE WITH WHITE STRIPES..............UNITED STATES

Not sure of other colors but I remember seeing a yellow car here and there and I believe it's the color for BELGIAN entries.

POB I look to your vast knowledge and expertise to elaborate a bit further if I missed anything. Thanks in advance.