planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:55 pm 

mastergee wrote:
aftershocksinthebath wrote:
Webber for flipping 2 Le Mans car(s), an f1 car and for wheelieing an f1 car, although that wheelie I think we should really put into the win category.

and also a mountain bike

His leg looked awful after that one...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 pm 

Fiki wrote:
No, he meant Monaco 2005, when Schumacher made Barrichello avoid an accident when he wanted to take Rubens's 7th place (and squeezed his brother in an effort to take 6th). Which effectively meant that at Ferrari there is one set of rules for all drivers... except the appointed number 1. "After the final pitstops, you don't attack your teammate, except if..."

That's exactly what I meant, Fiki.

You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:
No, he meant Monaco 2005, when Schumacher made Barrichello avoid an accident when he wanted to take Rubens's 7th place (and squeezed his brother in an effort to take 6th). Which effectively meant that at Ferrari there is one set of rules for all drivers... except the appointed number 1. "After the final pitstops, you don't attack your teammate, except if..."

Rubens was caught napping and got overtaken in the chicane. Then threw the toys out of the pram.

When did Ferrari have the final pit stop rule exactly?

Sure. Because "being caught napping" means not expecting a crazyass lunge down the inside from your team mate that you're only just able to avoid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:59 pm 

Bobbington wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
There was no threat, Fiki.

Damon told Eddie that he would fight for the win regardless of the consequences. It wasn't a response to Eddie's instruction to let Ralf past. If that were the case, than I'd agree to call it a threat. But it wasn't.

And besides, the guy who was ahead and faster for the majority of the race got to stay ahead. Nothing like Zeltweg '02 or Monaco '05.

Yeah, there was no threat. Hill was just saying that he would fight Ralf for the win if they had to race, and in these conditions that would be suicidal.

Jordan had told Ralf that if Alesi became a serious threat then he would ask Damon to move across and let Ralf through.

But other than that there was absolutely nothing that could be gained and everything that could be lost by letting them race.

Even though Ralf had the pace, there was no guarantee he'd cleanly overtake Hill, especially in these conditions. He had a history of taking other drivers off, even in the dry.

And there were a couple of reasons for Hill's perceived lack of pace.

i) He drove the entire race on a dry setup (he had gone for this before the restart because he felt the track was drying and the weather was improving - as it happens the rain got worse.)

ii) After the race, the team discovered that, during Hill's middle stint, he had been driving with a cracked rim on his right rear wheel and that the tyre pressure was 14psi (rather than the normal 19psi). I have a vague recollection (but it is very vague) that Hill mentioned an incident while overtaking a Prost in that second stint.

+1, mate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:34 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Rubens was caught napping and got overtaken in the chicane. Then threw the toys out of the pram.

Much as it pains me to admit, I agree with Fiki on this one.

At the time, I had mixed feelings about the chicane overtake. Whilst I had to laugh (as it was typical Schumi - never give up), I also knew it was unfair on Barri as the 'no overtaking after final pit stop' policy was well known.

I'm a huge Schumi fan, but understood Barri being v annoyed about this :-(( .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Are you telling me you weren't aware of it?

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:39 am 

Senna having a whisky after the Japanese Grand Prix of 1993, and going over to Jordan to tell Irvine he didn't like Irvine unlapping himself. He ended up hitting Irvine.

Unlapping yourself... when did that go out of fashion? Perhaps Hamilton can tell us a bit about it. :D

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 am 

AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Sure. Because "being caught napping" means not expecting a crazyass lunge down the inside from your team mate that you're only just able to avoid.

Andy, no need to be rude with the images. We can have a normal conversation even if we don't agree, ok?

This is the replay on the overtake, just before the 57th minute:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwctg3 ... RS6FR1WySo

Does this look like a crazyass lunge? I beg to differ. You can hear a certain Brundle actually saying that Rubens was caught napping.

Also around the 54:20 mark you can see the move on Ralf. Michael went for the inside when he saw an opening, I don't consider this squeezing like Fiki suggests.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:47 am 

LKS1 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Much as it pains me to admit, I agree with Fiki on this one.

At the time, I had mixed feelings about the chicane overtake. Whilst I had to laugh (as it was typical Schumi - never give up), I also knew it was unfair on Barri as the 'no overtaking after final pit stop' policy was well known.

I'm a huge Schumi fan, but understood Barri being v annoyed about this :-(( .

I honestly don't remember the final pit stop policy. If that's the case then I agree with you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:07 am 

Has anyone mentioned Canada '91 and Mansell?

Although I reckon he will always be associated with '86 that clip of the tyre blowing gets used in practically every F1 through the years style montage.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am 

I mentioned it, Johnston. On the first page, I think 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
Andy, no need to be rude with the images. We can have a normal conversation even if we don't agree, ok?

Does this look like a crazyass lunge? I beg to differ. You can hear a certain Brundle actually saying that Rubens was caught napping.

Also around the 54:20 mark you can see the move on Ralf. Michael went for the inside when he saw an opening, I don't consider this squeezing like Fiki suggests.

You're right, I apologize.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:46 am 

AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

That's fine, I have my share of blame too, so likewise. We shouldn't get wound up for something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:52 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
mastergee wrote:
Webber for flipping 2 Le Mans car(s), an f1 car and for wheelieing an f1 car, although that wheelie I think we should really put into the win category.

and also a mountain bike

It will always be that milk advert for me.

of Alice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 am 

Balibari wrote:
mastergee wrote:

and also a mountain bike

It will always be that milk advert for me.

Aaaargh, why did you mention that? Now I got it stuck in my head!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:41 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Damn you made me watch the entire Monaco 2005 race :lol:
Great race though, and some still familiar elements to it... Webber can't start, Fisichella can't defend etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:23 am 

AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
Well, I never heard MS say it, but I heard todt say it. And besides, Ferrari isn't Jordan, a team on the verge of their 1st win.

So there's nothing wrong with my name then, since it is not TodtRules!! Thank you

Of course not, MS had absolutely nothing to do with that.

That's a great picture says a thousand words gif :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:24 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

That's fine, I have my share of blame too, so likewise. We shouldn't get wound up for something like that.
The move on Ralf does indeed look less dramatic than I remembered. Have you been doctoring the footage Schumie? ;)

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 pm 

Fiki wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

The move on Ralf does indeed look less dramatic than I remembered. Have you been doctoring the footage Schumie? ;)

Nah, I wouldn't go that far for an internet debate!

What I think happened is that as you can see from the footage there were 4 cars bunched up and Rubens didn't seem interested in making any moves. So my take is that Schumacher just made his mind, overtook Rubens and had a go on Ralf, who he almost overtook (I think originally they showed identical times, only to adjust them afterwards as Ralf was a fraction ahead). If he had overtook Ralf people may have been talking about the amazing two overtakes in the last lap of that race. Now if there were pit stop rules (I wasn't acting stupid, I genuingly don't know if Ferrari ever had the rule, slightly ashamed to admit it) then I agree he should have waited. On the other hand I can't falter his fighting spirit, for seeing an opportunity and going for it; this is what distinguishes some drivers from others, the killer instinct. It was this that made him so much better than most of his team mates. Not just plain speed, he wasn't always the fastest on track, including Rubens.

Anyway, we can put this in bed I guess!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:17 am 

Trulli stuffing up on the final lap of the French GP 2004, gifting the final podium position to Barrichello in front of all Renault and Michelin's important corporate people. I'm not sure if the incident or Briatore's face was funnier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:04 am 

Raikkonen and his little trip out of the sao paulo race track

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 am 

Montoya and Tennis...

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:27 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
Raikkonen and his little trip out of the sao paulo race track

When I saw him go there I was like "WTF ARE U DOING????" But then it was pretty hilarious later.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 am 

Fisichella, final lap of Suzuka 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:20 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Montoya and Tennis...

Montoya vs cameraman?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:21 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Montoya and Tennis...

Montoya vs cameraman?
Kimi vs Small kid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:25 pm 

chican wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Montoya and Tennis...

Montoya vs cameraman?
Kimi vs Small kid.

Kimi vs Small kid vs photographer!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:52 pm 

RaisinChips wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
mcdo wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
There was no threat, Fiki.

Damon told Eddie that he would fight for the win regardless of the consequences. It wasn't a response to Eddie's instruction to let Ralf past. If that were the case, than I'd agree to call it a threat. But it wasn't.

And besides, the guy who was ahead and faster for the majority of the race got to stay ahead. Nothing like Zeltweg '02 or Monaco '05.

What happened at Monaco '05...?

Kimi won from pole, so I don't know what AndyPerry means.

monaco 06 was the one probably meant

Maybe he meant Monaco 07 when Fonzo and Lewis were 1st and 2nd?

Lol, talk about Chinese whispers. No, he damn straight means Monaco 2005!

And it wasn't like Austria 2002, where Barrichello was actually faster. Schumi outqualified Barrichello in qualifying and he was faster throughout the race. Barrichello was ahead because Schumacher damaged his front wing in a ruckus at Mirabeau caused by a spinning backmarker. He went on to set the fastest lap of the race and after catching and passing Barrichello, was a few thousandths away from passing Ralf Schumacher on the line to take 6th. For some reason Barrichello thought they should hold position, and perhaps there was some sort of agreement (I have no idea), but this is Michael Schumacher we're talking about, he's there to race not sit around and drink herbal tea. Given that Barrichello was fairly slow in the race for most of it, I have no great sympathy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm 

kai_ wrote:
Trulli stuffing up on the final lap of the French GP 2004, gifting the final podium position to Barrichello in front of all Renault and Michelin's important corporate people. I'm not sure if the incident or Briatore's face was funnier.

I was actually there and yes it was pretty embarassing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:48 pm 

Jochen Mass and his part in Zolder accident in 1982 that killed Gilles Villeneuve. Although Wikipedia boldly and wrongly states "blameless part", even Mass himself has somewhat different view, and describes his part as "mitschuld", which is "co-responsibility". In fact, he moved to the side where Gilles was passing in a fatally late and irresponsible move, which gave Gilles no place and no time to react.

Every annual he has the same question by journalists about the accident. What a racing carrier, to be best known as someone who took a part in killing one of the most beloved drivers ever.