All times are UTC

Post subject: Eveolution of F1 car
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:02 pm 

https://vimeo.com/43233380

:)

Post subject: Re: Eveolution of F1 car
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm 

Pretty cool.

Steering wheel actually being wheel shaped almost seems odd, didn't realise how "recent" a development that actually is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm 

Sometimes...I actually find myself wishing for ground effects cars...I loved those stubby, wingless-nosed, small rear winged rockets with full length sidepods, shuddering around the track like they were on rails...I know they were far less safe than today's cars, but I still love that era. And I can't help but think that it would have been extremely difficult for a 20-year old to step into one of those cars and immediately become a winner...I think those cars took a combination of skill, experience, bravery, and brute force. Love seeing the work that drivers put in when watching on-board cameras from that era...round wheel, fighting opposite lock, and hand off the wheel to shift...sometimes I wonder how they did it. Great era..IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm 

FW09 wrote:
Sometimes...I actually find myself wishing for ground effects cars...I loved those stubby, wingless-nosed, small rear winged rockets with full length sidepods, shuddering around the track like they were on rails...I know they were far less safe than today's cars, but I still love that era. And I can't help but think that it would have been extremely difficult for a 20-year old to step into one of those cars and immediately become a winner...I think those cars took a combination of skill, experience, bravery, and brute force. Love seeing the work that drivers put in when watching on-board cameras from that era...round wheel, fighting opposite lock, and hand off the wheel to shift...sometimes I wonder how they did it. Great era..IMO.

if i remember correctly, lauda said that those cars were not compareable to anything else... he made his comeback after 2 years of absence and basically couldn't drive it anymore... he said something like "you wouldn't know when you reached the limits of the car - there was no feedback because it behaved all the same at any time - until you lost it"

i don't think they were nice to drive...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm 

FW09 wrote:
...I think those cars took a combination of skill, experience, bravery, and brute force. Love seeing the work that drivers put in when watching on-board cameras from that era...round wheel, fighting opposite lock, and hand off the wheel to shift...sometimes I wonder how they did it. Great era..IMO.

That's easy to answer... A lot slower than they do today :twisted:

I have to say though, that one minute video just swallowed 10 minutes of my life, I had to keep going back to the start. There's too much going on to take it all in in one go

Championship Standing: 26

Last edited by Blackhander on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Cool link.

of Alice