planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 pm 

First off I am a JB fan, and watched the test at Jerez with interest. Yes JBs time was set on the first day, but the thing that sticks in my mind, was Massa's reaction at the end of testing, when he said that JBs time on Tuesday was very impressive as it was set on hard tyres, and on a green track. Maybe he was deflecting attention from his and Ferrari's performance, or maybe he meant it? Looking at the Tuesday times, he was miles ahead of anyone else, and I know you don't know what fuel levels everyone was on, but I would imagine that everyone follows the same testing protocols within there own teams on each day, that is most teams are doing aero work at the same time etc, so the runs for the most part would be consistent with each other? Of course this is not set in stone, and different teams will have different priorities, I guess the next test at Barcelona will throw more light on the pecking order, given that is a current race circuit and amplifies any shortcomings of the cars ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

BillyBoy200uk wrote:
First off I am a JB fan, and watched the test at Jerez with interest. Yes JBs time was set on the first day, but the thing that sticks in my mind, was Massa's reaction at the end of testing, when he said that JBs time on Tuesday was very impressive as it was set on hard tyres, and on a green track. Maybe he was deflecting attention from his and Ferrari's performance, or maybe he meant it? Looking at the Tuesday times, he was miles ahead of anyone else, and I know you don't know what fuel levels everyone was on, but I would imagine that everyone follows the same testing protocols within there own teams on each day, that is most teams are doing aero work at the same time etc, so the runs for the most part would be consistent with each other? Of course this is not set in stone, and different teams will have different priorities, I guess the next test at Barcelona will throw more light on the pecking order, given that is a current race circuit and amplifies any shortcomings of the cars ?

That might be the most telling thing of the whole test.

Also it seemed after setting a few quick ones early on the McLaren seemed to lose some pace for the rest of the test.

Food for thought.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm 

Johnston wrote:
BillyBoy200uk wrote:

Also it seemed after setting a few quick ones early on the McLaren seemed to lose some pace for the rest of the test.

Food for thought.

It's just testing though...

...or so some have been insistent about for days including you Johnston.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:21 pm 

Did I say anything differently Laura?

Like I said it was merely food for thought.

Edit in fact if anything it highlights that the times mean feck all

Edited by mod: inappropriate comment removed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:31 pm 

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just highlighting what seems to have become a key sentence on this forum over the past week. It is just testing and so we can't conclude anything or really give anything food for thought.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

Did I conclude anything?

Did I say anything that contradicted the "It's only testing"

Massas comments are interesting as the teams will have an idea of what they think is possible given track conditions etc.

That and The drop of on times could mean a multitude of things including .

They went out fast and then went oh fairy cakes and started sand bagging.

Or they went out and did an early glory run, followed by a closer to reality pace for the rest of the test.

So again where did I conclude anything?

Where did I do anything other than attempt to provoke debate?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 pm 

If anything you are the one provoking me here Johnston. Just calm down a little and you'll see I won't starting an argument. Just stating something that everyone on here has been saying all week. Testing means nothing to us thus far because we don't know enough about the team programmes. The teams do, we don't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:27 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
If anything you are the one provoking me here Johnston. Just calm down a little and you'll see I won't starting an argument. Just stating something that everyone on here has been saying all week. Testing means nothing to us thus far because we don't know enough about the team programmes. The teams do, we don't.

fairy cakes and here was me thinking Massa was a member of one of those teams.

How foolish of me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:56 pm 

Johnston wrote:
BillyBoy200uk wrote:

Food for thought.

Some cars were pretty consistently good on specific compounds throughout last season. I wonder if it will be the same again - not meaning the same cars are good on the same compounds, but that they will have particularly good ones or not. I kind of think that's one of the things Pirelli wanted to change.

I hope they get a little wet running in the remaining two tests. As those compounds don't change much, they can highlight some changes from last year's cars to the new ones.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:41 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

fairy cakes and here was me thinking Massa was a member of one of those teams.

How foolish of me.

Massa doesn't know how much fuel Jenson had on board, he doesn't know what package McLaren had on the car either. So he doesn't know how strong Button's lap was really either. He's guessing like us. He only knows how Ferrari have been doing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 pm 

Do you not think Ferrari would have an idea of what a theoretical hot lap around the circuit would be on what ever compounds they had? What would be considered a fast time?

They will know by the number of laps he did after that lap a rough idea on the Minimum amount of fuel.

They will know from their own data what sort of hot lap they could expect with low fuel and likely with however many the estimate JB had on board. At every test they crunch the numbers on their competitors and will have an idea of the minimum amount of fuel that was on board going on how many laps they completed in that stint, how much that slows the car down over a lap and what time of lap they could expect. Sure JB could have had more fuel on but that just makes the lap better. they will likely be working on bare minimum on board.

After 4 days of crunching numbers, working out the pace of the tyres THEY will have a best case scenario of what THEY think is a quick lap around the circuit at any given time and tyre. Just like when the teams start Quali with an idea of the cut offs before it starts. An idea of how quick pole will be. They will have that same info on Jerez.

If they are impressed by JBs time it comes down to JB did a time that was faster than their number crunchers reckoned was possible OR JBs car was under weight OR he used more than the usual KERS or was opening DRS more than a normal lap.

The Former doesn't look good for them and their number crunchers getting it wrong, the latter I would be surprised if they didn't have spotters out watching for the DRS.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:12 pm 

I would be impressed by another driver's lap if I knew with a good setup, on low fuel, with tires in their operating window, that that time was likely out of reach for myself. Jussayin.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:14 pm 
Dear all, a gentle reminder for you to be nice to each other ;) - we are all stressed and bad-tempered after a long off-season, and frustrated at not knowing who will win the championship after the first test! But try to be patient and trust me, the first GP is getting closer :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 pm 

Food for thought for you. Massa says it was good lap knowing he can go faster on the hard tyres. Why show your hand at this stage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 am 

James Allen does a good article on the testing so far...

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/a ... t-of-2013/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:57 am 

Interesting reading...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21417831