planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:26 am 

Jenson button in 2013

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:45 pm 

petef1 wrote:
Punting on F1 can be very profitable, and it is my second favourite only to horses.

Punting on the WDC however, is not that valuable. It's effectively a very long term bet, in which all manner of things can go on between March and November. However, I believe Button will win the WDC and have taken on odds at 7/1

However, where money is to be made is on individual weekends. Betting in-play is where it's at as the more knowledgeable punter will know where things are at when events such as SC and rain comes into play.

Laying is also easy money.

I would suggest anyone who wants to make a profit over an F1 season opens up a Betfair (or any other exchange account) as this is the best medium for F1 punting, especially as bookies suspend markets quite often during the course of the weekend.

cheers i will look at this, but what is this Laying bet ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 pm 

Nobody.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm 

The odds on Vettel are not very profitible so i'd lean towards Alonso at 3/1, to make decent money Kimi at 14/1 looks the best bet

2013: 5th Place

2014: Champion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

can anybody explain how this system works pls ?

http://www.betfair.com/exchange/motor-s ... .107586578

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:04 pm 

Accumulator on the winners of the team-mate wars pays well if you pick a couple of underdogs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:07 pm 

I've never done it but there can be money had in the fastest lap market too, you get big odds on Williams, Sauber and the like and there have been occasions where they've made the late tyre change for one reason or another.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:18 pm 

A2jdl wrote:

I'll try and give you the general idea in a few steps, it is a bit daunting at first

1) Ignore all the numbers and columns except the blue 'back' column. This column is just like the odds at a bookmaker except in the decimal format. To get from the fractional odds you typically see at a bookmaker to these decimal odds, turn the fraction into a number and add 1. So if you see 3/1 at a bookmaker that is the same as 4 on Betfair (in the decimal format)

2) So this column can be used like a bookmaker, if you click on one of these back numbers a betslip comes up to the right and you can bet on that driver to win the championship. The amount of money available to bet on that driver is the quantity located in the box and is the money of another pundit like you who is betting on that driver NOT to win the championship.

3) When you have an account you can easily experiment by keying in a bet because Betfair will overlay your exact position onto the market so you can see exactly what you stand to win/lose depending on the result

That should be a good start, I am quite experienced with this so if you are still interested/have further questions, I'm happy to help

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:35 pm 

SamH_123 wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

I'll try and give you the general idea in a few steps, it is a bit daunting at first

1) Ignore all the numbers and columns except the blue 'back' column. This column is just like the odds at a bookmaker except in the decimal format. To get from the fractional odds you typically see at a bookmaker to these decimal odds, turn the fraction into a number and add 1. So if you see 3/1 at a bookmaker that is the same as 4 on Betfair (in the decimal format)

2) So this column can be used like a bookmaker, if you click on one of these back numbers a betslip comes up to the right and you can bet on that driver to win the championship. The amount of money available to bet on that driver is the quantity located in the box and is the money of another pundit like you who is betting on that driver NOT to win the championship.

3) When you have an account you can easily experiment by keying in a bet because Betfair will overlay your exact position onto the market so you can see exactly what you stand to win/lose depending on the result

That should be a good start, I am quite experienced with this so if you are still interested/have further questions, I'm happy to help

Cheers for that :thumbup: how come you can only bet upto the amount in the box ?
And what is lay pls ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm 

Laying is the opposite of backing

So when you back a driver to win a race at a bookmaker, the bookmaker is 'laying' your bet. If you yourself lay some event (e.g. Button to win the WDC) then you win if it doesn't happen (you win the stake of the person who bet on the same event) and lose if it does happen (you have to payout the winnings to the person who bet on event)

On Betfair that purple column on the right is the lay column, it's worth typing in some lays and seeing what you stand to win and lose

Because the exchange is only between pundits there can be a limited amount of money to bet on certain drivers/events.
Say you wanted to bet on Maldonado to win the wdc this year, well fair enough you only want to risk £10 to win £2,500 but that means another pundit needs to risk £2,500 to win £10 to 'match' your bet and as you can probably guess there may well just not be anyone willing to do that so it can be hard to bet on Maldonado at good odds (for example)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:50 pm 

Ok well thanks again. Sounds a bit confusing the odds bit of it all but I guess it's prob easy to pick up ones you start doing it. I have done a few regular bets over the last few years will try n find time to study this as looks like some good money to be made.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 pm 

If I was a betting person, which I am not, then I would put my money on Alonso, always :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:28 pm 

DrG wrote:
If I was a betting person, which I am not, then I would put my money on Alonso, always :D

I would to if the odds were better. Must be because he so good. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:13 pm 

William Hill offered decent odds throughout last year. I tend to place my bets after qualifying on the Saturday (usually late on saturday evening just in case there are any pending penalties that affect the qualifying result).

Multiple wins last year on Daniel Ricciardo to score points (a few handy 20 quids) - usually around 4/1 or 5/1 if he qualified just outside the top 10. Ditto Di Resta.

Got lucky on the Maldonado win too - think he was 10/1 to win after qualifying so I put on a fiver :) Top bombing!