planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:57 pm 

Hey guys how are you doing? I want to know how fast does an F1 driver upshift or downshift the gears. Does it work like in the F1 codemasters series games or is it way more different? Like if you don't upshift in time the engine would stall and stuff? Btw, what causes an engine to stall at the pits or at the grid?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLBCZem_vU

I'd say pretty fast. I think if you constantly shift like that in F1 2012 game, it blows the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:00 pm 

A Formula One gearbox is controlled by a computer, actuation is hydraulic, and it takes 20-40 milliseconds to make a shift.

Formula One engines have light crankshafts and clutches, and much less inertia than a production car. They also have a narrow powerband, and very little torque at low revs. So if you don't slip the clutch and keep the revs up, the engine can fall out of it's powerband, and stall out. In the real world, if you slip the clutch too much, you can easily burn it out.

When downshifting, most sim racers use the half rule. In a cornering and braking situation, you have two distinct points on the track, where you get on the brakes, and when you get back on the gas. So when you brake, wait until you have covered half the distance between braking and full throttle, and downshift. Then half way again, downshift again, repeat as necessary. That way you won't blow the engine or lockup the rear end and swap ends. Additionally, do not use downshifting to slow down, that is what the brakes are for, and they are perfectly capable of doing that job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm 

Kolby wrote:
Hey guys how are you doing? I want to know how fast does an F1 driver upshift or downshift the gears. Does it work like in the F1 codemasters series games or is it way more different? Like if you don't upshift in time the engine would stall and stuff? Btw, what causes an engine to stall at the pits or at the grid?

I've read somewhere that (theoretically) a Formula One gearbox could change gear about 30 times in the the time it takes you to blink your eyes - though it'd have to be completely computer controlled, as a driver's fingers couldn't possibly move that fast.

Formula One cars have an antistall sytem inbuilt, meaning you can sit on any gear you want and it won't stall. That's why we so very rarely see cars stall on the grid - and when they usually do it's because the car has an issue and not because of a gearing problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:41 pm 

The engines are fitted with antistall software since I think late 90s so I know they dont stall and yes they do change faster than you can blink thats correct. Regarding the shifting I remember watching Hamster on Top Gear try his hand at the Alonso' championship winning Renault (R25 was it??). He Started from the pits... One thing I noticed was if the gear wasnt changed at a particular rev range it would go back to neutral. And on turns again you applied the same principal or else it would spin out or go to neutral