planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject: Lewis hires new manager.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:31 pm 

Didn't see this here yet, unless its hidden in some other thread.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... um=twitter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm 

I guess that puts a nice shine on things and at least he's not gone just for any old Tom, Dick or Harry :)

2013: 5th Place

2014: Champion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:20 pm 

Tom Shine is an interesting man gave up his job as snr. vice president at Adidas/Reebok he was since 11 years, to manage sport stars like Hamilton
IMO Hamilton does not need a f1 manager ATM, and Coton is managing Bottas 2013

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:33 pm 

Hamilton is exactly the type of driver who needs a manager. He needs to be given direction or as Spa last year proved he can very easily do silly things like posting telemetry on social networking sites.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:40 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton is exactly the type of driver who needs a manager. He needs to be given direction or as Spa last year proved he can very easily do silly things like posting telemetry on social networking sites.

Nonsense he needs a good race engineer & team, not someone who tells him boll*++s like his engineers did at Spa
BTW Coton was at Spa.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:48 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Nonsense he needs a good race engineer & team, not someone who tells him boll*++s like his engineers did at Spa
BTW Coton was at Spa.

He still is the type of driver who needs managed. The only driver at the top of the grid sans manager is Vettel and given he's a Red Bull boy anyway he doesn't really need one. They are his manager. It gives the driver one less thing to think about and get on with racing.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:58 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

BTW Coton was at Spa.

He still is the type of driver who needs managed. The only driver at the top of the grid sans manager is Vettel and given he's a Red Bull boy anyway he doesn't really need one. They are his manager. It gives the driver one less thing to think about and get on with racing.

Shine is his new manager. If he was able to run the marketing at a company as vice president like adidas/reebok, he will be able to manage Hamilton
Interesting thing is Lewis contract with Reebok run out, and now with Puma at Mercedes he can't renew it, and the companies vice marketing president is following him

Tom Shine about Hamilton 2008:
Tom Shine, Senior Vice President of Sports Marketing for Reebok said; “Reebok is a brand that celebrates individuality in sport and in life. Lewis is a one-of-a-kind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:02 pm 

Can we close the book on Spa 2012

Noone in the team knew how good the new rear wing would be due to limited running

Lewis was in a title tight so chose to stay with what he knew

JB had nothing to lose so chose the new wing

Nobody fed Lewis lies.. Get over it

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:04 pm 

Shine on you crazy diamond.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:07 pm 

froze wrote:

Great song. fits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:10 pm 

Didier Coton was good at directing Hamilton's progress as a driver, he improved drastically since the disastrous year of 2011. But as we saw with twittergate, Hamilton needs to strengthen up in the area of public relations and politics, and Tom Shine is the man to "direct and educate" him in those areas.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Didier Coton was good at directing Hamilton's progress as a driver, he improved drastically since the disastrous year of 2011. But as we saw with twittergate, Hamilton needs to strengthen up in the area of public relations and politics, and Tom Shine is the man to "direct and educate" him in those areas.

Hamilton is giving very diplomatic answers recently

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 pm 

You don't let the people you are signing contracts with be the people who negotiate those contracts, so no I don't think RB manages Seb.

A manager is another person in your air, another influence. They are a positive one for some, and a distraction for others. Every relationship is different. You can dictate the scope of the role your manager plays, or your manager may only agree to take the job if he's given a certain level of control. We don't really get to know any of that about the drivers, so apportioning blame for what seem like management failures, or concluding that a driver needs a particular type or level of managerial supervision, is pretty arbitrary.

For example, one driver may hire a manager to handle financial matters only. That would include team contracts, endorsements, etc. Sometimes that person is also an attorney. Another driver may want a manager that is by their side at every race controlling media commitments, scheduling, looking over their shoulder and advising on every move, whatever. Some may choose to use their manager to deal with problems in the team, or as an excuse "hey its not me, talk to my manager", while others handle those matters personally. Sometimes the person filling the role isn't even called a manager. They just do the job as dictated by the driver's instruction. In other words, its not every manager's job to stop a driver from making poor decisions regarding social media.

Lewis' management changes interest me in so far as I want to know if its bad judgement that leads to them, or changes in what he wants in a manager. Is he putting his trust in the wrong people (not looking out for his best interest) repeatedly, and if so, why? Is there a discrepancy between what he thinks is best for him and what these professional agents think is right for him? Or does he just keep changing his mind about how he wants to be managed, and if so, why? My gut feeling is he sees all the outside influences as detractors from his performance, rather than looking at himself (which is something I've been guilty of myself). We'll have to see how all of his changes play out, and I guess we won't know the answers til he writes a tell-all or something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:50 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

BTW Coton was at Spa.

Shine is his new manager. If he was able to run the marketing at a company as vice president like adidas/reebok, he will be able to manage Hamilton
Interesting thing is Lewis contract with Reebok run out, and now with Puma at Mercedes he can't renew it, and the companies vice marketing president is following him

Tom Shine, Senior Vice President of Sports Marketing for Reebok said; “Reebok is a brand that celebrates individuality in sport and in life. Lewis is a one-of-a-kind

Can you please point to a company who said we hired a bad/ poor choice for an ambassador?

Now, seriously when i first read the title i hoped that he signed someone with more insight into F1 as a business and kicked XIX. I think this is more for perhaps working on his image out of the sport (read commercialization), than with it, or in it for that matter. Which is ok by me, but he really needs a proper manager who could help him with F1. He knows how to drive, but little else, if i may be so bold(now waiting for a fatwa to be issued in my name by HFA).

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 pm 

fatwa :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:58 pm 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

BTW Coton was at Spa.

Can you please point to a company who said we hired a bad/ poor choice for an ambassador?

Now, seriously when i first read the title i hoped that he signed someone with more insight into F1 as a business and kicked XIX. I think this is more for perhaps working on his image out of the sport (read commercialization), than with it, or in it for that matter. Which is ok by me, but he really needs a proper manager who could help him with F1. He knows how to drive, but little else, if i may be so bold(now waiting for a fatwa to be issued in my name by HFA).

Hamilton does not need someone with "more insight" to F1 . He needs a poper team and a proper team boss wich he seemingly has found now. Why should he need someone "with more insight" around him? He has a team with wich he wants to stay for a while, no need for some driver manager. Looks like he has enough F1 management around him at AmGMercedesF1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
You don't let the people you are signing contracts with be the people who negotiate those contracts, so no I don't think RB manages Seb.

A manager is another person in your air, another influence. They are a positive one for some, and a distraction for others. Every relationship is different. You can dictate the scope of the role your manager plays, or your manager may only agree to take the job if he's given a certain level of control. We don't really get to know any of that about the drivers, so apportioning blame for what seem like management failures, or concluding that a driver needs a particular type or level of managerial supervision, is pretty arbitrary.

For example, one driver may hire a manager to handle financial matters only. That would include team contracts, endorsements, etc. Sometimes that person is also an attorney. Another driver may want a manager that is by their side at every race controlling media commitments, scheduling, looking over their shoulder and advising on every move, whatever. Some may choose to use their manager to deal with problems in the team, or as an excuse "hey its not me, talk to my manager", while others handle those matters personally. Sometimes the person filling the role isn't even called a manager. They just do the job as dictated by the driver's instruction. In other words, its not every manager's job to stop a driver from making poor decisions regarding social media.

Lewis' management changes interest me in so far as I want to know if its bad judgement that leads to them, or changes in what he wants in a manager. Is he putting his trust in the wrong people (not looking out for his best interest) repeatedly, and if so, why? Is there a discrepancy between what he thinks is best for him and what these professional agents think is right for him? Or does he just keep changing his mind about how he wants to be managed, and if so, why? My gut feeling is he sees all the outside influences as detractors from his performance, rather than looking at himself (which is something I've been guilty of myself). We'll have to see how all of his changes play out, and I guess we won't know the answers til he writes a tell-all or something.

How will you know Shine is one of the "wrong people" . How can you say that about XIX. What have they done wrong?
This is all nonsense. Hamilton drove better than ever recently his performances have been outstanding.
He simply might have grown out of needing a f1 managers assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:22 pm 

Haribo wrote:
froze wrote:

Great song. fits

or Revolver : "Shine on you crazy diamond. Because we r just monkeys wrapped in suits"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm 

Unless his dad and Coton both decided they weren't interested in working with Lewis, then Lewis decided they weren't the right people for him for whatever reason. So I said I wonder why he keeps choosing the wrong people, or what changes.

And he evidently thinks he has not "grown out of needing a manager's assistance" as he has hired another, and still retains XIX representation. I guess that means Lewis thinks he still needs MULTIPLE managers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:31 pm 

He needs a manager, and not any manager, he needs his father.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:21 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Unless his dad and Coton both decided they weren't interested in working with Lewis, then Lewis decided they weren't the right people for him for whatever reason. So I said I wonder why he keeps choosing the wrong people, or what changes.

And he evidently thinks he has not "grown out of needing a manager's assistance" as he has hired another, and still retains XIX representation. I guess that means Lewis thinks he still needs MULTIPLE managers.

XIX is a company and Shine works for them as Lewis manager. IMO he cares for the comercial stuff wich is something a driver has no time to do
Do you want your mum as your manager when you are grown up? Their private relationship suffered because of their working relationship, therefore it was the right thing to do
IMo Lewis needed a manager for buisness things not for F1 things, so Coton was not the right man for him anylonger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

tmzxaar wrote:

But not as manger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm 

Wasn't that the point of XIX and Fuller in the first place?

And I wish my mom could manage my deals again. Would have saved me a bunch of money this month :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm 

Haribo wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:

But not as manger.

fairy cakes three times. :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Haribo wrote:
tmzxaar wrote:

But not as manger.

fairy cakes three times. :lol: :lol:

It's getting a habbit now :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:40 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Wasn't that the point of XIX and Fuller in the first place?

And I wish my mom could manage my deals again. Would have saved me a bunch of money this month :lol:

Buisness is buisness & family is private , should be kept parted IMO
You always carry the buisness with you if family members are involved

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:49 pm 

Its all in how well you manage the relationship, no pun intended. Been there, got the t shirt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm 

Well he should have got rid of Fuller as well that's when things started going wrong for him. He should have a tried n tested f1 / motor sport manager. Unless of course he is more interested in the celeb entertainment business :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:23 pm 

I'm sure Didier was there to help with the negotiations in regards to drives and contracts. So I'm guess now he's done the contract, Fuller is moving on to making brand Hamilton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:10 am 

ashley313 wrote:

Didier Coton was on a one yr contract....why does something have to be wrong? Maybe the whole plan was always to have Didier for a year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am 

Why do people keep saying he should get a manager with f1 experience....I dont think Lewis is looking for a coach.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 am 

That's why I said "for whatever reason". Wrong doesn't have to be something bad...its just not the right fit. As I said, what those reasons for change are interest me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

I agree he improved his mentality as a driver last year, but I put that down to the fact that AFAIK he repaired his relationship with his father.

I'm personally not convinced that keeping on Fuller as the main person is the right move. He's about branding (ala The Spice Girls and David Beckham), which tweeting telemetry and making a fuss on social media can be good for despite the fact that it isn't good for Hamilton as an F1 driver. I'm very interested to see if Shine does in fact iron out those elements and forge a path between having a profile and not making embarrassing celebrity-type gaffes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:41 am 

ashley313 wrote:

According to Seb, he doesn't need a manager because he has an attorney that looks at his contracts and Red Bull does everything else for him that he needs. They do fulfill the duties of a manager in that regard (arrangements, sponsorship offers, etc.).

Lewis, however, wants personal widespread branding, which requires managerial assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 am 

Haribo wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
BTW Coton was at Spa.

Hamilton does not need someone with "more insight" to F1 . He needs a poper team and a proper team boss wich he seemingly has found now. Why should he need someone "with more insight" around him? He has a team with wich he wants to stay for a while, no need for some driver manager. Looks like he has enough F1 management around him at AmGMercedesF1.

McLaren is the second most winningest team in f1. that, is proper! the tom-dickery going on at AMGMercedes means it is much less than proper.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

McLaren is the second most winningest team in f1. that, is proper! the tom-dickery going on at AMGMercedes means it is much less than proper.

The racing team was not reall great last year they threw away both titles with unforcedoperational errors. Lewis racre engeneering team was not really great until Latham was finally replaced after the Spa faux pas. With a proper team like Ferrari has, Lewis would have won the wDC. Look how far Alonso cam with a car worse than McLaren

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 am 

Latham moved aside after the birth of his first child and was not replaced due to any "mistake"

I remember a lot of members on here crying that Latham was not back in his position because it was "hurting" Lewis's championship challenge!

Can't have it both ways superfans!

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Latham moved aside after the birth of his first child and was not replaced due to any "mistake"

I remember a lot of members on here crying that Latham was not back in his position because it was "hurting" Lewis's championship challenge!

Can't have it both ways superfans!

Latham made a lot of mistakes, birth of child or not. He won't be back as race engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 am 

Laura and Blinky are right: Lewis with a manager can concentrate on racing. And have his tweets checked before sending. As several posters mentioned, every driver is different. Lewis is a pure driver, unlike Stewart who could drive and manage his business affairs, quite well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:40 am 

POBRatings wrote:
Laura and Blinky are right: Lewis with a manager can concentrate on racing. And have his tweets checked before sending. As several posters mentioned, every driver is different. Lewis is a pure driver, unlike Stewart who could drive and manage his business affairs, quite well!

Coton was his manager & was at Spa last year.
IMo Shine will be a good guide in media & political things, exactly what LH needs, not someone who manages race buisness

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.