planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2949
Hamilton doesn't need a driver coach, he just needs someone to manage his PR... Good move.

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:17 pm
Posts: 2412
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Hamilton doesn't need a driver coach, he just needs someone to manage his PR... Good move.

I get the feeling that he has a lot that gets him paychecks, but that lot doesn't know much about handling career of a racing driver. do you get the drift?

_________________
My Top 5 drivers of all times:
1) Prost/ Schumacher
3) Fangio
4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am
Posts: 7873
Location: London
garagetinkerer wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Hamilton doesn't need a driver coach, he just needs someone to manage his PR... Good move.

I get the feeling that he has a lot that gets him paychecks, but that lot doesn't know much about handling career of a racing driver. do you get the drift?

Exactly. Fuller just wants Hamilton to make him as much money as possible and that's why they've installed a guy who knows more about entertainment than F1. To make money. If they used a manager who specialised in F1 then it limits where they can take Hamilton outside of the sport. But the new management team is a risk if the Merc thing doesn't pull off.

_________________
1994 1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Get well soon Schumi.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:25 pm
Posts: 511
After the fiasco that was his first test for Mercedes, I reckon Lewis has Cotoned on to just how bad a deal his old manager has done him. So as a result, he's told his old manager to Didier one, and now he's hired in this Tom bloke to put a Shine on things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Does anyone wonder if Lewis cares about "celebrity" or its just the people around him that push him to take advantage of inherent fame that comes with his position? Has he ever spoken on the subject? Come on Hammy fans, I know some of you must have done the homework.
bourbon19 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
You don't let the people you are signing contracts with be the people who negotiate those contracts, so no I don't think RB manages Seb.


According to Seb, he doesn't need a manager because he has an attorney that looks at his contracts and Red Bull does everything else for him that he needs. They do fulfill the duties of a manager in that regard (arrangements, sponsorship offers, etc.).

Lewis, however, wants personal widespread branding, which requires managerial assistance.

The team (RBR not RB) coordinates arrangements for things involving the team, the parent company handles their own things, Seb just turns up with Britta who takes care of the logistics of his side of the deal. He doesn't have personal sponsors beyond being a RB athlete, so no need for RB to manage that. And Britta works for Seb, not the team.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Laura23 wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Hamilton doesn't need a driver coach, he just needs someone to manage his PR... Good move.

I get the feeling that he has a lot that gets him paychecks, but that lot doesn't know much about handling career of a racing driver. do you get the drift?

Exactly. Fuller just wants Hamilton to make him as much money as possible and that's why they've installed a guy who knows more about entertainment than F1. To make money. If they used a manager who specialised in F1 then it limits where they can take Hamilton outside of the sport. But the new management team is a risk if the Merc thing doesn't pull off.

Hamilton does not need a F1 manager. For what would he need one?

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Hamilton doesn't need a driver coach, he just needs someone to manage his PR... Good move.

:thumbup:

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 pm
Posts: 305
I just read that Kimi is worth over $250 million in a article concerning his upcoming divorce,maybe Hamilton should hire kimi's manager( he seems to be doing a hell of a job)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
A driver coach and an advisor or consultant for dealing with the paddock-side of things are two different people entirely. One helps you improve your skills on track, one aims to help you navigate the rest of the sport. As far as I know, Didier Coton is and was not a driver coach.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 am
Posts: 82
Location: New Delhi, India
I still think Anthony should be LH's manager. Since he's his dad, he's always looking out for Lewis' best interests, and I'm sure he's experienced enough in the sport. Best of all, he probably won't ask for a cut. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:45 am
Posts: 151
it's either Obi or Darthy ... use the force Lewis!

_________________
When in doubt, press F1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2404
Location: Helsinki, Finland
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

_________________
"I am out of the drink again. It's so small. Mark has to make sure it's completely full, because it is too small."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am
Posts: 1356
Location: Sydney, Australia
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

:thumbup: I so agree. I don't know whether Lewis is making the right decision or not & I don't pretend to. He's only young so, if he makes the wrong decision whatever that may be, he will learn from it like we all do, & make better decisions in the future. If he makes the right decision, & only he will know that, then things will pan out better for him in the future, both driving wise & personally :D .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 5113
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.


:thumbup: :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Hamiltons manager is still Fuller. He changed only his personal assistant. For what should he need Coton anylonger?
For some friendly company? This job can be done from Roscoe ;)

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

But isn't that just part of what happens on the forum? We find out about things to do with Formula 1 and give our observations, opinions and insights. Commenting on Hamilton's management situation is IMO no different to discussing which driver should be hired by a team.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am
Posts: 1149
ashley313 wrote:
Does anyone wonder if Lewis cares about "celebrity" or its just the people around him that push him to take advantage of inherent fame that comes with his position? Has he ever spoken on the subject? Come on Hammy fans, I know some of you must have done the homework.
bourbon19 wrote:
ashley313 wrote:
You don't let the people you are signing contracts with be the people who negotiate those contracts, so no I don't think RB manages Seb.


According to Seb, he doesn't need a manager because he has an attorney that looks at his contracts and Red Bull does everything else for him that he needs. They do fulfill the duties of a manager in that regard (arrangements, sponsorship offers, etc.).

Lewis, however, wants personal widespread branding, which requires managerial assistance.


The team (RBR not RB) coordinates arrangements for things involving the team, the parent company handles their own things,
Seb just turns up with Britta who takes care of the logistics of his side of the deal. He doesn't have personal sponsors beyond being a RB athlete, so no need for RB to manage that. And Britta works for Seb, not the team.


We were speaking of contract negotiations versus managing day to day PR affairs. Horner has said that Seb is assisted by his attorney when it comes to contract negotiations with RBR. However, there would be no conflict of interest for RB to manage his affairs with Head and Shoulders for tv commercials and/or Infiniti regarding his role as ambassador. Seb has said that RB took care of that sort of thing for him - whether that continues to be the case, I do not know.

Lewis obviously wants a manager to be involved in all of his affairs. His hiring the Fuller concern and this managerial change support the idea that he is looking to bigger and better things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:10 am
Posts: 267
Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton is exactly the type of driver who needs a manager. He needs to be given direction or as Spa last year proved he can very easily do silly things like posting telemetry on social networking sites.

Nonsense he needs a good race engineer & team, not someone who tells him boll*++s like his engineers did at Spa
BTW Coton was at Spa.

He still is the type of driver who needs managed. The only driver at the top of the grid sans manager is Vettel and given he's a Red Bull boy anyway he doesn't really need one. They are his manager. It gives the driver one less thing to think about and get on with racing.

He doesn't need a manager, he just needs a good race engineer and a fast car. Major sports are full of dysfunctional, troubled athletes. Lewis is a saint in comparison to many athletes out there, many of who do have managers/agents who supposedly guide them. All that matters is if Lewis can get the job done in the car. Kimi is a bit of an oddball guy outside of the car, but none of that matters when he's strapped in. He can be terse and rude to his team over the radio, but what do they care? If he can drive the car faster than the other guy, that's all that matters.

Lewis isn't going to land himself in jail or in any sort of controversy. There's no reason he needs someone to hold his hand. He's a grown man. People need to stop looking at him as a rookie. PEACE.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:10 am
Posts: 267
kai_ wrote:
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

But isn't that just part of what happens on the forum? We find out about things to do with Formula 1 and give our observations, opinions and insights. Commenting on Hamilton's management situation is IMO no different to discussing which driver should be hired by a team.

It's people talking about him like he's a child. He's not. He doesn't need someone to help him with regular life choices that all of us already make on our own. Do you need a manager? I see enough dumb posts on this forum from other posters that I wonder if some of them need managers of their own.

SMH. He's a grown-ass man. He doesn't need anyone to manage his life. He's already one of the best drivers in the world, if not in history. THAT is the hard part. Managing public relations is a walk in the park. He just needs an agent to handle contract stuff, an accountant to handle his finances, and a publicist to take care of his PR. It's not rocket science, and he'll have a much better idea of what he needs to get by than we normal folk who've lived our whole lives without handlers. PEACE.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
Pimpwerx wrote:
kai_ wrote:
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

But isn't that just part of what happens on the forum? We find out about things to do with Formula 1 and give our observations, opinions and insights. Commenting on Hamilton's management situation is IMO no different to discussing which driver should be hired by a team.

It's people talking about him like he's a child. He's not. He doesn't need someone to help him with regular life choices that all of us already make on our own. Do you need a manager? I see enough dumb posts on this forum from other posters that I wonder if some of them need managers of their own.

SMH. He's a grown-ass man. He doesn't need anyone to manage his life. He's already one of the best drivers in the world, if not in history. THAT is the hard part. Managing public relations is a walk in the park. He just needs an agent to handle contract stuff, an accountant to handle his finances, and a publicist to take care of his PR. It's not rocket science, and he'll have a much better idea of what he needs to get by than we normal folk who've lived our whole lives without handlers. PEACE.

History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
kai_ wrote:
Pimpwerx wrote:
kai_ wrote:
froze wrote:
It's fascinating how many people here claim to know what Lewis really needs. Maybe he should hire a private consultant from this thread.

But isn't that just part of what happens on the forum? We find out about things to do with Formula 1 and give our observations, opinions and insights. Commenting on Hamilton's management situation is IMO no different to discussing which driver should be hired by a team.

It's people talking about him like he's a child. He's not. He doesn't need someone to help him with regular life choices that all of us already make on our own. Do you need a manager? I see enough dumb posts on this forum from other posters that I wonder if some of them need managers of their own.

SMH. He's a grown-ass man. He doesn't need anyone to manage his life. He's already one of the best drivers in the world, if not in history. THAT is the hard part. Managing public relations is a walk in the park. He just needs an agent to handle contract stuff, an accountant to handle his finances, and a publicist to take care of his PR. It's not rocket science, and he'll have a much better idea of what he needs to get by than we normal folk who've lived our whole lives without handlers. PEACE.

History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

IMo Hamilton was right with his outburst at Monaco.
This so called Twittergate was blown out of proportiont, too. Hamilton was the best driver on track 2012. Even 2011 was not as bad as the media & some here portray it.
Managers are most of the time a waste of space who get a huge salary.

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Pimpwerx wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Hamilton is exactly the type of driver who needs a manager. He needs to be given direction or as Spa last year proved he can very easily do silly things like posting telemetry on social networking sites.

Nonsense he needs a good race engineer & team, not someone who tells him boll*++s like his engineers did at Spa
BTW Coton was at Spa.

He still is the type of driver who needs managed. The only driver at the top of the grid sans manager is Vettel and given he's a Red Bull boy anyway he doesn't really need one. They are his manager. It gives the driver one less thing to think about and get on with racing.

He doesn't need a manager, he just needs a good race engineer and a fast car. Major sports are full of dysfunctional, troubled athletes. Lewis is a saint in comparison to many athletes out there, many of who do have managers/agents who supposedly guide them. All that matters is if Lewis can get the job done in the car. Kimi is a bit of an oddball guy outside of the car, but none of that matters when he's strapped in. He can be terse and rude to his team over the radio, but what do they care? If he can drive the car faster than the other guy, that's all that matters.

Lewis isn't going to land himself in jail or in any sort of controversy. There's no reason he needs someone to hold his hand. He's a grown man. People need to stop looking at him as a rookie. PEACE.

:thumbup:

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

IMo Hamilton was right with his outburst at Monaco.
This so called Twittergate was blown out of proportiont, too. Hamilton was the best driver on track 2012. Even 2011 was not as bad as the media & some here portray it.
Managers are most of the time a waste of space who get a huge salary.

I disagree about all that.

My perspective on the Monaco incident didn't come from Hamilton's messy joke about being black but the fact that he accused the stewards of discriminating against him. To accuse anyone of discrimination is quite serious and to do so about the arbiters of a professional sport is even more so. It's something that you consider carefully, think about your evidence and then manage through the proper channels, or if it's just a sense born out of frustration then you let that out behind closed doors. You DON'T harness that frustration in rambling ranting tirade to the world's media. As for the Twitter-gate incidents, Hamilton knows how many followers he has and that's precisely why he used twitter to communicate his message, so saying that it was blown out of proportion is really of his own doing. Meanwhile the first was confidential data, which is actually pretty serious; the second was more funny than anything else.

But what all of these incidents demonstrated to me was an individual who simply doesn't think before he acts and that's a dangerous headspace for someone in the public eye. That sort of thing can get a person into a lot of trouble. In the end it didn't come to anything, but the FIA was considering banning Hamilton for 6 races over the Monaco matter and McLaren could have sanctioned him for the revelation of public data.

Anyone who is successful has a strong support network around them. It's necessary for feedback, to keep a person grounded, for constructive criticism and a level of security beyond the success. People who are older and wiser are generally very valuable part of this support network. In some cases it can be family or members of the team, but the right sort of manager can play an important role and given that Hamilton distanced himself from his father there was/is a gap to fill and a manager was the option to do that. Yes, in some circumstances sports agents take advantage of their clients or push them in a certain direction that might have nothing to do with the sport for the sports agent's own benefit, but in other circumstances they make a positive difference with the image and mentality.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 5113
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

IMo Hamilton was right with his outburst at Monaco.
This so called Twittergate was blown out of proportiont, too. Hamilton was the best driver on track 2012. Even 2011 was not as bad as the media & some here portray it.
Managers are most of the time a waste of space who get a huge salary.

I disagree about all that.

My perspective on the Monaco incident didn't come from Hamilton's messy joke about being black but the fact that he accused the stewards of discriminating against him. To accuse anyone of discrimination is quite serious and to do so about the arbiters of a professional sport is even more so. It's something that you consider carefully, think about your evidence and then manage through the proper channels, or if it's just a sense born out of frustration then you let that out behind closed doors. You DON'T harness that frustration in rambling ranting tirade to the world's media. As for the Twitter-gate incidents, Hamilton knows how many followers he has and that's precisely why he used twitter to communicate his message, so saying that it was blown out of proportion is really of his own doing. Meanwhile the first was confidential data, which is actually pretty serious; the second was more funny than anything else.

But what all of these incidents demonstrated to me was an individual who simply doesn't think before he acts and that's a dangerous headspace for someone in the public eye. That sort of thing can get a person into a lot of trouble. In the end it didn't come to anything, but the FIA was considering banning Hamilton for 6 races over the Monaco matter and McLaren could have sanctioned him for the revelation of public data.

Anyone who is successful has a strong support network around them. It's necessary for feedback, to keep a person grounded, for constructive criticism and a level of security beyond the success. People who are older and wiser are generally very valuable part of this support network. In some cases it can be family or members of the team, but the right sort of manager can play an important role and given that Hamilton distanced himself from his father there was/is a gap to fill and a manager was the option to do that. Yes, in some circumstances sports agents take advantage of their clients or push them in a certain direction that might have nothing to do with the sport for the sports agent's own benefit, but in other circumstances they make a positive difference with the image and mentality.


If you watch football almost after every game the managers publicly accuse the officials of discriminating against them and it is never taken as seriously as you said say it will be taken "within the boundary's off professional sport" Leaving aside the race comment was Hamiltons actions any worse than a frustrated football manager telling the worlds media his team were robbed by the referee?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
mikeyg123 wrote:
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

IMo Hamilton was right with his outburst at Monaco.
This so called Twittergate was blown out of proportiont, too. Hamilton was the best driver on track 2012. Even 2011 was not as bad as the media & some here portray it.
Managers are most of the time a waste of space who get a huge salary.

I disagree about all that.

My perspective on the Monaco incident didn't come from Hamilton's messy joke about being black but the fact that he accused the stewards of discriminating against him. To accuse anyone of discrimination is quite serious and to do so about the arbiters of a professional sport is even more so. It's something that you consider carefully, think about your evidence and then manage through the proper channels, or if it's just a sense born out of frustration then you let that out behind closed doors. You DON'T harness that frustration in rambling ranting tirade to the world's media. As for the Twitter-gate incidents, Hamilton knows how many followers he has and that's precisely why he used twitter to communicate his message, so saying that it was blown out of proportion is really of his own doing. Meanwhile the first was confidential data, which is actually pretty serious; the second was more funny than anything else.

But what all of these incidents demonstrated to me was an individual who simply doesn't think before he acts and that's a dangerous headspace for someone in the public eye. That sort of thing can get a person into a lot of trouble. In the end it didn't come to anything, but the FIA was considering banning Hamilton for 6 races over the Monaco matter and McLaren could have sanctioned him for the revelation of public data.

Anyone who is successful has a strong support network around them. It's necessary for feedback, to keep a person grounded, for constructive criticism and a level of security beyond the success. People who are older and wiser are generally very valuable part of this support network. In some cases it can be family or members of the team, but the right sort of manager can play an important role and given that Hamilton distanced himself from his father there was/is a gap to fill and a manager was the option to do that. Yes, in some circumstances sports agents take advantage of their clients or push them in a certain direction that might have nothing to do with the sport for the sports agent's own benefit, but in other circumstances they make a positive difference with the image and mentality.


If you watch football almost after every game the managers publicly accuse the officials of discriminating against them and it is never taken as seriously as you said say it will be taken "within the boundary's off professional sport" Leaving aside the race comment was Hamiltons actions any worse than a frustrated football manager telling the worlds media his team were robbed by the referee?

I do see a distinction between claiming that a referee's decision was wrong and making a claim that there is ongoing targeting and discrimination, which is what Hamilton was doing.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
History is littered with sportspeople who don't reach their potential because they are not properly supported mentally and emotionally. There are also many examples of celebrities who grow up in a bubble and then go off the rails in adulthood and of sports stars who associate with the celebrity world and find their sporting achievements diminishing.

Hamilton's 2011 season is a case in point of this. Hamilton had both a fast car and a good race engineer and yet he was unable to perform and made some atrocious public gaffes. Whatever the reason for that a good management team may well have been able to prevent that from happening. You are critical of people for treating him like a child but in a lot of ways he behaves like a child: his Monaco 2011 outburst and then Twittergate 1 & 2 in 2012. He may well have the potential to go down as one of the best drivers in history, but the fact is that he's nowhere near that at this stage in terms of his achievements and at least a part of that is, by his own admission after the 2011 season, his headspace.

I also think it's worth considering that Formula 1 does not endorse celebrity-style behaviour in the way that a lot of sports do. Button was criticised for his playboy attitude in the early part of his career and Raikkonen's reputation has been damaged by his drinking shennanigans. To say that teams don't care at all about that sort of thing would be incorrect.

Now maybe he has worked a lot of this out and maybe the Mercedes move is indicative of this and will also be the fresh start he needs to focus himself, but we don't know that as of yet.

IMo Hamilton was right with his outburst at Monaco.
This so called Twittergate was blown out of proportiont, too. Hamilton was the best driver on track 2012. Even 2011 was not as bad as the media & some here portray it.
Managers are most of the time a waste of space who get a huge salary.

I disagree about all that.

My perspective on the Monaco incident didn't come from Hamilton's messy joke about being black but the fact that he accused the stewards of discriminating against him. To accuse anyone of discrimination is quite serious and to do so about the arbiters of a professional sport is even more so. It's something that you consider carefully, think about your evidence and then manage through the proper channels, or if it's just a sense born out of frustration then you let that out behind closed doors. You DON'T harness that frustration in rambling ranting tirade to the world's media. As for the Twitter-gate incidents, Hamilton knows how many followers he has and that's precisely why he used twitter to communicate his message, so saying that it was blown out of proportion is really of his own doing. Meanwhile the first was confidential data, which is actually pretty serious; the second was more funny than anything else.

But what all of these incidents demonstrated to me was an individual who simply doesn't think before he acts and that's a dangerous headspace for someone in the public eye. That sort of thing can get a person into a lot of trouble. In the end it didn't come to anything, but the FIA was considering banning Hamilton for 6 races over the Monaco matter and McLaren could have sanctioned him for the revelation of public data.

Anyone who is successful has a strong support network around them. It's necessary for feedback, to keep a person grounded, for constructive criticism and a level of security beyond the success. People who are older and wiser are generally very valuable part of this support network. In some cases it can be family or members of the team, but the right sort of manager can play an important role and given that Hamilton distanced himself from his father there was/is a gap to fill and a manager was the option to do that. Yes, in some circumstances sports agents take advantage of their clients or push them in a certain direction that might have nothing to do with the sport for the sports agent's own benefit, but in other circumstances they make a positive difference with the image and mentality.

What about Hamilton was right in what he was saying, & hit a nerve?
Some of the penaties have been ridiculous 2011 and Hamilton was not treated fair in some cases.
Racism is everywhere, it's in F1 as well as at other sports
And for your Spa & management argument, Coton WAS at Spa in the gerage, just for all who criticise Hamilton for not renewing his contract with Coton
What has Coton done for him, to prove his worth as manager? I can see nothing, only that Hamilton had some company& Coton parked and drove the car at the car park ?

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
If lewis just needs a good car and a good race engineer, why does he keep hiring lots of people to manage him? Lol evidently Lewis doesn't think the same way as some of his supporters here do.


And I bet any of the drivers would say doing the driving is easy, the rest of the job is the hard part.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:49 am
Posts: 2069
Location: Australia
Haribo wrote:
What about Hamilton was right in what he was saying, & hit a nerve?
Some of the penaties have been ridiculous 2011 and Hamilton was not treated fair in some cases.
Racism is everywhere, it's in F1 as well as at other sports
And for your Spa & management argument, Coton WAS at Spa in the gerage, just for all who criticise Hamilton for not renewing his contract with Coton
What has Coton done for him, to prove his worth as manager? I can see nothing, only that Hamilton had some company& Coton parked and drove the car at the car park ?

Would you please point out precisely which of Hamilton's penalties in 2011 were ridiculous and how? Would you also please show some specific evidence to indicate that Hamilton has been treated in a racist manner? It's not enough just to make vague and open-ended statements like that.

As for your comments on Coton I have no idea of the relevance of them. I have never said he should renew his contract with Coton nor have I suggested Coton was a good manager. In fact, I think in my first post in this thread I implied that I felt that Hamilton's management team had not previously managed him that well and that I hoped this decision proved to be a better one. :?

EDIT: I meant to add that you're also missing the point of what I'm saying, which is that if Hamilton felt that there was some merit to what he was saying the manner to handle it was not a rant to the media on the back of his frustration. That was the behavioural problem that IMO demonstrated he needed some proper guidance.

_________________
Twitter @Jo_Soucek


Last edited by Jo_ on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
Not really a big fan of his but cant deny he is a brilliant racer. Having said that I just hope he doesnt become a victim of his own success.

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
What about Hamilton was right in what he was saying, & hit a nerve?
Some of the penaties have been ridiculous 2011 and Hamilton was not treated fair in some cases.
Racism is everywhere, it's in F1 as well as at other sports
And for your Spa & management argument, Coton WAS at Spa in the gerage, just for all who criticise Hamilton for not renewing his contract with Coton
What has Coton done for him, to prove his worth as manager? I can see nothing, only that Hamilton had some company& Coton parked and drove the car at the car park ?

Would you please point out precisely which of Hamilton's penalties in 2011 were ridiculous and how? Would you also please show some specific evidence to indicate that Hamilton has been treated in a racist manner? It's not enough just to make vague and open-ended statements like that.

As for your comments on Coton I have no idea of the relevance of them. I have never said he should renew his contract with Coton nor have I suggested Coton was a good manager. In fact, I think in my first post in this thread I implied that I felt that Hamilton's management team had not previously managed him that well and that I hoped this decision proved to be a better one. :?

EDIT: I meant to add that you're also missing the point of what I'm saying, which is that if Hamilton felt that there was some merit to what he was saying the manner to handle it was not a rant to the media on the back of his frustration. That was the behavioural problem that IMO demonstrated he needed some proper guidance.

Monaco both penalties were ridiculous. Spa 2011, in qualifying, too

IMO he needs a proper race engineer who does not tell him there would be no real differences between the wings when it was huge in reality.

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 5113
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
What about Hamilton was right in what he was saying, & hit a nerve?
Some of the penaties have been ridiculous 2011 and Hamilton was not treated fair in some cases.
Racism is everywhere, it's in F1 as well as at other sports
And for your Spa & management argument, Coton WAS at Spa in the gerage, just for all who criticise Hamilton for not renewing his contract with Coton
What has Coton done for him, to prove his worth as manager? I can see nothing, only that Hamilton had some company& Coton parked and drove the car at the car park ?

Would you please point out precisely which of Hamilton's penalties in 2011 were ridiculous and how? Would you also please show some specific evidence to indicate that Hamilton has been treated in a racist manner? It's not enough just to make vague and open-ended statements like that.

As for your comments on Coton I have no idea of the relevance of them. I have never said he should renew his contract with Coton nor have I suggested Coton was a good manager. In fact, I think in my first post in this thread I implied that I felt that Hamilton's management team had not previously managed him that well and that I hoped this decision proved to be a better one. :?

EDIT: I meant to add that you're also missing the point of what I'm saying, which is that if Hamilton felt that there was some merit to what he was saying the manner to handle it was not a rant to the media on the back of his frustration. That was the behavioural problem that IMO demonstrated he needed some proper guidance.

Monaco both penalties were ridiculous. Spa 2011, in qualifying, too

IMO he needs a proper race engineer who does not tell him there would be no real differences between the wings when it was huge in reality.


To be fair Haribo his race engineer could say he needs a proper driver who does not tweet telemetry data or spend a whole season getting intimate with Massa's Ferrari. ;) What I mean by that is everybody makes mistakes/misjudgments.

On the penalties Yes Belgium quali was ridiculous and I have always said that both Monaco penaltys were very harsh (especially the Massa one) and I would say at the beginning of his career especially he seemed to get a lot of 50/50 calls go against him doing things we have seen others get away with.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:11 am
Posts: 474
I'm just sad I'm such a geek I read 'hires' in the thread title to mean 'high resolution'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
I can't believe anyone is so hung up on the Spa wing situation. That was a decision made with the input of the entire garage - not one driver choosing something based on "bad" information from one engineer. You make decisions as a team, you win as a team, and you lose as a team. You can bet team decisions often don't work out as well as the data promised, but we don't hear about them because the drivers don't go airing their team errors out for everyone to see.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
mikeyg123 wrote:
Haribo wrote:
kai_ wrote:
Haribo wrote:
What about Hamilton was right in what he was saying, & hit a nerve?
Some of the penaties have been ridiculous 2011 and Hamilton was not treated fair in some cases.
Racism is everywhere, it's in F1 as well as at other sports
And for your Spa & management argument, Coton WAS at Spa in the gerage, just for all who criticise Hamilton for not renewing his contract with Coton
What has Coton done for him, to prove his worth as manager? I can see nothing, only that Hamilton had some company& Coton parked and drove the car at the car park ?

Would you please point out precisely which of Hamilton's penalties in 2011 were ridiculous and how? Would you also please show some specific evidence to indicate that Hamilton has been treated in a racist manner? It's not enough just to make vague and open-ended statements like that.

As for your comments on Coton I have no idea of the relevance of them. I have never said he should renew his contract with Coton nor have I suggested Coton was a good manager. In fact, I think in my first post in this thread I implied that I felt that Hamilton's management team had not previously managed him that well and that I hoped this decision proved to be a better one. :?

EDIT: I meant to add that you're also missing the point of what I'm saying, which is that if Hamilton felt that there was some merit to what he was saying the manner to handle it was not a rant to the media on the back of his frustration. That was the behavioural problem that IMO demonstrated he needed some proper guidance.

Monaco both penalties were ridiculous. Spa 2011, in qualifying, too

IMO he needs a proper race engineer who does not tell him there would be no real differences between the wings when it was huge in reality.


To be fair Haribo his race engineer could say he needs a proper driver who does not tweet telemetry data or spend a whole season getting intimate with Massa's Ferrari. ;) What I mean by that is everybody makes mistakes/misjudgments.

On the penalties Yes Belgium quali was ridiculous and I have always said that both Monaco penaltys were very harsh (especially the Massa one) and I would say at the beginning of his career especially he seemed to get a lot of 50/50 calls go against him doing things we have seen others get away with.

Latham made a lot of other mistakes, like at Monaco 2012 ( not to tell Vettel comes out of the pits & he has to push to stay ahead), Australia 2010 ( the 3rd stop), China 2010( wrong weather forecast in the race) ect.
Lewis made a mistake by posting the overlay, but he had no bad intentions to blame someone.

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:11 pm
Posts: 3029
Always someone else's fault eh?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am
Posts: 2182
Get back to the topic of Lewis' management or the thread gets locked.

_________________
AlienTurnedHuman wrote:
("Anonymous") probably thought he was God. At least until he was banned. Which means if he was God, it makes me very scared of PF1-Mod.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 am
Posts: 1308
Laura23 wrote:
Kai just leave it, you're trying to preach to someone who thinks the sun shines out of Hamilton's pickle.

Why do you guys always have to be so rude? Does it make you feel better?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
I say Lewis should get back with Anthony Hamilton.

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:37 pm
Posts: 854
Race2win wrote:
I say Lewis should get back with Anthony Hamilton.

They are back together as Family

_________________
"Everything you can imagine is real." Pablo Picasso


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
Haribo wrote:
Race2win wrote:
I say Lewis should get back with Anthony Hamilton.

They are back together as Family

Oh... Ok.... Did he consider Roscoe the puppy for the job or he too is family and therefore out of contention?

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blackhander, redballs and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group