planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 am 

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/02/f ... bo-f1-car/

I think this puts the Newey to Ferrari rumours firmly to rest.

I also think it's an indication that Ferrari feel that the group of technical people they've had working for the past few years have not done a good enough job.

I will be interested to see if Byrne can make a difference, given his time out of the sport and the fact that perfecting his cars relied heavily on on-track testing.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:30 am 

Rory Bryne will be a very important addition to the team. He has a proven track record and Ferrari have realised that they need to up their game after Schumacher left. Although he has had a few inputs for this years car, he was brought in to work exclusive on the 2014 racer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 am 

He was still with Ferrari as consultant to be honest. But with completely different package coming up most top teams will have 2 different teams working at same time on different projects. Makes sense to pull in Rory for more hands on approach for 2014 with the other team focused on 2013 car.
A fundamentally good design is fundamentally good design. Ferrari can develop that over season. Rory has incredible track record. As of now it looks like he is going to work as hands on team advisor rather than lead designer which is still going to be Nikolas Tombazis.
It is relatively very young design team at Ferrari at the moment. The 3 key people (Fabio Montecchi, Simone Resta and Nikolas ) at the top are very young and with less experience than likes of Newey. So added hands on input from someone like Byrne will be very useful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:48 am 

funkymonkey wrote:
He was still with Ferrari as consultant to be honest. But with completely different package coming up most top teams will have 2 different teams working at same time on different projects. Makes sense to pull in Rory for more hands on approach for 2014 with the other team focused on 2013 car.
A fundamentally good design is fundamentally good design. Ferrari can develop that over season. Rory has incredible track record. As of now it looks like he is going to work as hands on team advisor rather than lead designer which is still going to be Nikolas Tombazis.
It is relatively very young design team at Ferrari at the moment. The 3 key people (Fabio Montecchi, Simone Resta and Nikolas ) at the top are very young and with less experience than likes of Newey. So added hands on input from someone like Byrne will be very useful.

Nikolas is actually one of the better guys... he left Ferrari and did a stint at McLaren for a while. he was much hot property in early 00's.

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:56 am 

Moved to Thailand... for scuba

Maybe in my late 60's I'll understand

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 am 

Byrne worked on the the F2012 too.

I think his contribution will certainly help but us Ferrari fans should not expect any miracles.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am 

TheThirdTenor wrote:

I think his contribution will certainly help but us Ferrari fans should not expect any miracles.

Did he? I though he worked on Ferrari road cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
TheThirdTenor wrote:

He is working on the Next gen Enzo road car with KERS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

Rory Byrne...

Pity he wasn't drafted earlier to make potential improvements to the 2013 car. 2014 might be very interesting. If Ferrari did get Newey (and assuming Newey and Byrne could work well together) they could make a truly spectacular car. Newey makes it stupidly fast. Byrne builds it from adamantium or whatever they used in the early 00s that just never seemed to breakdown.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm 

I don't think he'll make much of a difference to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:46 pm 

Byrne never left Ferrari, he just took a backseat role for a while and focused on road cars. He did a bit of work with the F2012 I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
TheThirdTenor wrote:

Yes. He was working on the road cars since 2009 but made a return to the F1 team (part time) in late 2011.