planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:11 am 

I'm planning to head over to Melbourne to attend the Grand Prix there. It will be my first live grand prix, so I'm not quite sure what is best for tickets.

What does general admission get you? Are the 'premium zones' worth it? Apparently I've left it too late for the grand stands, but is that even the best place to watch a race from?

Anyway, any advice on what tickets are best to get and anything I need to take (I've already been told that ear plugs are a must) would be much appreciated.

(my accommodation is already sorted because I have mates over there).

I'm a kiwi so this is the only really easily accessible GP for me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:57 am 

General admission isn't too bad but it can make following the race a bit difficult, unless you can stand somewhere in view of a big screen and within earshot of a speaker for the commentary. I've no idea about the premium zones so I can't help you there. One of the best places to stand just to see the cars in action is at the back of the circuit, on the outside of the track just after turn 12. The speed and direction change of the cars through the chicane is far more impressive than it looks on TV. The hill on the outside of turn 9/10 is popular too. Take water with you too, you'll probably be doing a lot of walking and it can get pretty hot, the last GP I attended there was over 40C each day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am 

Aeson wrote:
The hill on the outside of turn 9/10 is popular too.

When I went GA a couple of times, turn 9/10 was my favourite spot, but you must, must get there early and secure your spot! Big screen right opposite helps you keep tabs on the action, and Turn 9 is good for on track action too. Food/beverages close by aswell.

Supporter of Valtteri Bottas & Felipe Massa - Williams Martini Racing
Also Daniel Ricciardo [Red Bull Racing] & Mark Webber [Porsche WEC Team LMP1]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:39 am 

I have never been to Melbourne but im a regular at silverstone so from that experience i would defiantly suggest getting a good view of a large screen, i always take a small pair of binoculars just in case your a long way away from the screen so you can have a look now and again. The first time i went i took ear plugs but that was the v10 Era but i think over the years the engines have killed my ears as i don't use them any more but i do normally have the radio or sky commentary coming threw a set of earphones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:40 am 

Check this thread out
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1265

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 am 

Melbourne circuit is an excellent circuit to get to. Certainly on Thursday through to Saturday you can get close to the drivers autograph stage (entrance to the paddock)

From a viewing point of view, turns 9/10 hill very good. If you can get down to turn 3 there is usually a lot of action down there too.

I also recommend the Vodafone hospitality behind the start/finish straight ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 pm 

GA is a pretty good value in Melbourne, from experience. Grandstand is more convenient, but GA gets you much closer to the action.
Here is what I suggest (done it last year and it was great):
On Saturday, for the practice head to the hill on turn 9/10, gives you a very good view from distance and through the turn. Great place to see/feel it but not much action during the race/quali.
For qualifying go to Turn 2, there is a screen there, it is not very crowded on Saturday so if you get there soon enough before the qualifying you can get a good spot where you can see the cars having a go at the turn and also see the screen.

On Sunday, I think the best place is Turn 2 - although it is very crowded, if you get a spot on the top of the hill so you can see the turn and the screen, this is the best place. Most overtakes are happening either into turn 2 or between 2 and 3. Lot's of action there last year, including Maldonado flight on last lap. And Alonso trip to gravel in qualifying. But it is tricky as you need to get there early and stay there all day, may be if you go with mates it is easier. If this is what you do, take a lot of water with you.

Another option (this is what I did) is be at Turn 2 at the start, then after first 2-3 laps move to turn 3 (5 minute walk) - there are not much people there and the screen is very easy to watch, helps through the race. The action is pretty good as well, as there is some overtaking between 2 and 3. Then, towards the end of the race move back to turn 2, and when the race is over it is easy to access the podium from Turn 2 GA area - you just go on the track with the crowd once it is allowed. I think it is absolute must on the first GP. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:27 pm 

Last year a couple of my friends just walked through the gates without being checked (with no tickets). However I don't advise this.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm 
Even though it will be one of the most fantastic experiences in your life, expect to be tired, deaf, dirty, and confused.

Unlike TV where you can sit down and watch the entire event in under two hours, a day at the track is just that, an entire day. Pace yourself accordingly, it's a long day. Consider such luxuries as sunblock, sunglasses, and rain protection.

You never get to see the big picture that TV delivers, so after a few laps you will begin to wonder who's in first, and second. Further back it's like trying to watch an ant colony, pure mayhem and confusion. And if anything eventful occurs way from your spectating position, you will miss it. So I recommend you record the race to review it when you get home.

The cars are LOUD. Bring hearing protection unless you want to say "what?" for the next 18 hours.

Live in the moment and enjoy yourself, a Formula One race is nothing short of fantastic and a memory you will carry for the rest of your life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 pm 

Whilst I'd agree with all the last post it's not really that difficult to keep up with the running order. but make sure your sat where u can see the tv and also its good Idea to have radio with headphones for the commentary. As you won't be able to hear it over the noise.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 pm 

I was at my first gp last year in Melbourne.

I agree with everything blinky said.

Even though I had fangio Grand stand tickets I spent entire 4 days walking around the track wich is mostly GA tickets area.
View of the track is limited even in the main straight Grand stands I couodnt see the cars properly .

I think the maybe brabham grandstand is one of the best.

I'm going again this year but only getting ga ticket with premium zone upgrade as that gives access to areas where ga ticket can't get to.

Bring own food and water, sunscreen hat sunglasses!! It's $5-6 for a bottle of water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:49 pm 

I recommend against ear plugs and in favour of pocket radio and ear defenders.

For Silverstone, they hand out free ear plugs (I'd expect they do this everywhere)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:49 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
You never get to see the big picture that TV delivers, so after a few laps you will begin to wonder who's in first, and second. Further back it's like trying to watch an ant colony, pure mayhem and confusion. And if anything eventful occurs way from your spectating position, you will miss it. So I recommend you record the race to review it when you get home.

This is true but my take on this is:

You get to watch 18 races a year on TV, where you can follow everything.

You get to watch 1 race at the circuit, and you can choose to:
a) Sit at the grandstand, watch the big screen, and you're basically watching TV together with thousands of other people and hear the cars as they drive by.
OR
b) Pick a great spot really close to the track, and experience watching the cars from just something like 20 feet away. If you're lucky you get to see incidents or overtaking moves right in front of you.

I'd say (b) is priceless. You can always watch a recorded copy of the race at home later. (a) is just watching TV with other people at the race track.

Plus (b) is usually like a fraction the price of a grandstand ticket. It's my choice every single time!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:44 am 

More bloody Kiwi's invading ! ! ! :thumbup:

Mate, I've been to Melbourne for the race a few times now and you will have the time of your life.

All the advice is spot on, although I choose to not use ear plugs.
The sound is just too good to miss.

We go for Grandstand passes, but I've walked every inch of the track many times and agree that the turn 9 & 10 section is a great place for GA.
There's a nice raised area there with plenty of room.
While around that side of the track, I'd strongly suggest you walk down past turns 11 & 12 and take the over bridge to the inside of turn 13.
There you get to see the cars brake from top speed, and then accelerate out of a pretty slow turn, and you can really see which cars are stable and which aren't.

The GA areas are pretty empty during the practice sessions, but it's a must to get there VERY early on race day.
Best bet is to have a real good look around on Thursday & Friday, choose your favourite spot, and be one of the first there on Sunday ;)

Food and drink is quite expensive, so definitely pack your own.

Not sure where you are staying, but public transport in Melbourne is excellent.
All the trams to and from the circuit are free for the duration of the event, and run every few minutes.

There's plenty of on and off track entertainment this year.
You've probably already had a look, but the official website has all the info.

Link

Melbourne is a strange place weather wise, it can honestly be pouring rain in the morning then hot midday, then freezing in the evening so be prepared for that.

You will have an absolute ball at your first GP mate, it's hard to describe how much better these cars are in real life 8O

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am 

Went to the Melbourne GP last year for the first time, agree with a lot of what has been said but a few amendments for me.

I got there early on race day, on the turn 9 hill. It was scorching, ridiculously hot. Painful in fact. Anyway, I didn't need to have been there so early. When the race started there was still loads of room.

It's pretty easy to follow who is where. The screens are there to help too. St Kilda is great after the race and qualifying too. Loads of great bars and restaurants with an awesome atmosphere.

Prepare for all weather. Went into the pit lane on the Friday last year. Absolutely chucked it down for 20 minutes and then completely sunny and warm straight after. Strange place. I live here now, btw.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:52 am 

Apologies, I thought I locked this days ago. There's a sticky thread to accumalate information like what is contained in this thread, please use it.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.