planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kubica in F1 2014
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:07 pm 

I love him and I believe that he will do it.
RKS

Post subject: Re: Kubica in F1 2014
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:24 pm 

I don't know. Something never grabbed me about Kubica and I really don't think he has ever really been missed from F1.
:-|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm 

I liked him and i think he would have developed into wdc material, but to be honest by the time he is fully fit if he ever gets fully fit i fear he will be past his prime, he still doesn't even have full range and motion of his hand/arm yet so is a long way off still i fear.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm 

Loved the guy but he will never drive an F1 car competitively ever again

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 am 

I think the chances of Kubica making a comeback to F1 are very, very slim. My understanding is that he still doesn't have the necessary movement in his arm and is unlikely to ever have that. Even if he could have that rectified, there's no guarantee that rehabilitation would get him to a point where he could drive the cars.

IMO Kubica's accident was a real tragedy for F1. He was young, had a lot of potential, was impressive and looked like being a future WDC. Perhaps one of the reasons he hasn't been as obviously missed in the past couple of years is because the grid has had so much depth of talent, plus Raikkonen's comeback filled the gap at Lotus. But I think he would have added to it and it would have been fascinating is he and Raikkonen had ended up teammates (although it's debatable if Raikkonen would have been pursued by Lotus if Kubica had been there).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 am 

And I'm sure you thought he was going to come back in 2011, and then 2012. Given the extent of his injuries, it was always unlikely that Kubica was going to return to Formula One. Now that we know just where his rehabilitation is and his mobility (or lack thereof), it seems even less likely.

I thought of Kubica a few days ago whilst reading a passage in a book I'm currently enjoying:

Jim Clark wrote:
I had only known Alan [Stacey] for a year, for I met him at Le Mans in 1959. He was a terrific personality and very good company. He thought a lot ab out the techniques of racing and could explain things. He had tremendous guts, for very fewp eople knew that Alan only had one leg. His right leg had been amputated below the knee in a childhood motorbike accident, and he had an artificial leg. He always used to have a machine with a motorcycle twist grip throttle on the gear lever because he couldn't heal and toe. He had developed a technique of blipping the throttle with his twist grip and changing gear while using his feet on the clutch and brake.

Despite his disability, Alan was determined that nothing and nobody should stop him racing. Not only did he develop his own racing technique, but also one for hoodwinking the doctors at the compulsory check-ups which were insisted on before races by some organisers. We all liked him and were prepared to assist in this ploy. When it came round to the knee reflex test, he would cross his left leg over his artificial one. The doctor would tap it and find it satisfactory. At this point one of us - usually Innes Ireland - would ask some pointless question to distract the doctor's attention. Alan would then perform a clever little shuffle which still left his good leg uppermost. This was always good for a chuckle among us as we filed out of the examination room.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:48 am 

Toby. wrote:
And I'm sure you thought he was going to come back in 2011, and then 2012. Given the extent of his injuries, it was always unlikely that Kubica was going to return to Formula One. Now that we know just where his rehabilitation is and his mobility (or lack thereof), it seems even less likely.

I thought of Kubica a few days ago whilst reading a passage in a book I'm currently enjoying:

Jim Clark wrote:
I had only known Alan [Stacey] for a year, for I met him at Le Mans in 1959. He was a terrific personality and very good company. He thought a lot ab out the techniques of racing and could explain things. He had tremendous guts, for very fewp eople knew that Alan only had one leg. His right leg had been amputated below the knee in a childhood motorbike accident, and he had an artificial leg. He always used to have a machine with a motorcycle twist grip throttle on the gear lever because he couldn't heal and toe. He had developed a technique of blipping the throttle with his twist grip and changing gear while using his feet on the clutch and brake.

Despite his disability, Alan was determined that nothing and nobody should stop him racing. Not only did he develop his own racing technique, but also one for hoodwinking the doctors at the compulsory check-ups which were insisted on before races by some organisers. We all liked him and were prepared to assist in this ploy. When it came round to the knee reflex test, he would cross his left leg over his artificial one. The doctor would tap it and find it satisfactory. At this point one of us - usually Innes Ireland - would ask some pointless question to distract the doctor's attention. Alan would then perform a clever little shuffle which still left his good leg uppermost. This was always good for a chuckle among us as we filed out of the examination room.

Good point, would Raikkonen have come back otherwise?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:04 am 

As much as I would love Kubica to come back, I really don't see him ever coming back sadly :-(( . His arm movements are not in tip top condition and while he can drive a "closed" cars it is all different matter in tight cockpit of single seater. I think that his own decision, what he will be doing this year (still not decided between rally and DTM) will tell us a bit more as if he chooses rally, then he will be out of "F1 equation" probably for 2 or even 3 years (that what he said, that he doesn't want to commit to rally if he was about to quit after a year). If he chooses DTM or some other type of "typical" racing on track then that would suggest, that he still believes that he may regain enough "movability" (sorry, can not find a good word) in his hand fast enough to come back to F1 in 2014. Well he said that he see improvements but he is not quite there yet.

There is still a question which team would sign him after few years of break, even if he "looks" fit and capable? It would be still a big unknown and some heads would definitely fall if he fails to deliver. Who will take the risk?

Wish him best though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 am 

I wonder if he regrets doing that rally...or if he just sees it as 'one of those things'.

No doubt for me that it has ended his F1 career, his recovery has already taken too long for him to ever drive competitively in F1 again.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am 

Talented driver but I can't imagine him back in F1. I don't think the bigger teams would be interested at this stage and as far as I'm aware he doesn't have the financial backing to get into a smaller team.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 pm 

Mirasz wrote:
I love him and I believe that he will do it.
RKS

well, let`s hope he`ll manage almost impossible. why not believe, why not. even though that would be sort of a f1-miracle.
i`ve kept believing as well but i understand sceptical approach of most f1 fans, of whom many are kubica`s supporters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
I don't know. Something never grabbed me about Kubica and I really don't think he has ever really been missed from F1.

Its called not being in a winning car to show what you're truly capable of

2013: 5th Place

2014: Champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:27 pm 

In the Feb issue of F1 Racing magazine he says he's prepping for a comeback. But right now his hand doesn't have enough movement for an F1 car.

2014? Probably not. Maybe 2015 though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm 

I seriously doubt he will make it he going back to rally again I heard.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 pm 

I am a fan of Kubica but I don't think he'll ever be back IMO :thumbdown:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:00 pm 
RickM wrote:
In the Feb issue of F1 Racing magazine he says he's prepping for a comeback. But right now his hand doesn't have enough movement for an F1 car.

2014? Probably not. Maybe 2015 though.

By the 2015 season he'd have been out of F1 for nigh-on five years. He ain't coming back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm 

It's not happening, get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

I don't see him making a comeback either. A massive shame as I think he was World Champion material and really started to show his qualities as a top driver in his final year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm 

Kev627 wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

agree... I think it was always "the legend of Kubica" He was the biggest complainer in the pit lane. I have always been mad at BMW for taking what I think could have been a win for Heidfeld at Canada and letting Kubica win

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 pm 

We'll probably never know how far could he go. He did show some good sparks, though.
Even assuming he will get back to 100% physical form (which is a big IF) I doubt he'll get a good race seat, there's so much competition and he's been out 3 years...counting this one too. No big sponsors for him, if I recall correctly, I doubt he'll accept a low seat drive, so he's pretty much out.
Reminds me of Doc Hudson in "Cars", his sour soliloquy about how difficult a come-back can be is pretty much the naked truth for Kubica's situation.
I mean this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg4K6uakOuA
from 1:20 - 2:06.
Whilst not the best example, it does feel pretty appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:31 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
I have always been mad at BMW for taking what I think could have been a win for Heidfeld at Canada and letting Kubica win

A very biased opinion against RK.

He was quicker all weekend, qualifying second whilst Heidfeld was only 8th and a second slower. Heidfeld benefitted largely from the safety car, the same way an otherwise useless DC ended up in 3rd. Kubica was in a lighter car and had to pit, whilst Heidfeld did not. If Kubica had spent the rest of the race stuck behind Heidfeld, then pitted, he'd have ended up out of the points. It would have been ridiculous for a team principle to allow that on Sauber's biggest pay day of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:09 am 

Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

agree... I think it was always "the legend of Kubica" He was the biggest complainer in the pit lane. I have always been mad at BMW for taking what I think could have been a win for Heidfeld at Canada and letting Kubica win

Kubica was one of the most low-key drivers on the grid, you should really be mad at BMW for stopping development on the F108 while Kubica fighting for the WDC.

edit: BTW Heidfield never stood a chance vs Kubica in Canada 08.

Last edited by MikeV1987 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 am 

Kev627 wrote:

Honestly, I don't know how people don't recognize his abilities, he was easily a top driver imo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 am 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Kubica was one of the most low-key drivers on the grid, you should really be mad at BMW for stopping development on the F108 while Kubica was fighting for the WDC. BTW Heidfield never stood a chance vs Kubica in Canada 08.

That was a very frustrating decision. The way 2008 ended up playing out with Hamilton and Massa, had BMW kept up development of the F108 Kubica may well have pipped them to the WDC with his consistency, a bit like Raikkonen managed to get himself into third last year. Although it is something that can only be said in hindsight, it really does highlight that in F1 you need to take the opportunities when they arise rather than focus all your efforts on the future.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:27 am 

Banana Man wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
I have always been mad at BMW for taking what I think could have been a win for Heidfeld at Canada and letting Kubica win

A very biased opinion against RK.

He was quicker all weekend, qualifying second whilst Heidfeld was only 8th and a second slower. Heidfeld benefitted largely from the safety car, the same way an otherwise useless DC ended up in 3rd. Kubica was in a lighter car and had to pit, whilst Heidfeld did not. If Kubica had spent the rest of the race stuck behind Heidfeld, then pitted, he'd have ended up out of the points. It would have been ridiculous for a team principle to allow that on Sauber's biggest pay day of the season.

This :thumbup: . Of course people can, and always will, argue who was better overall. They are entitled to their opinion, but that single race weekend, the driver that deserved the win was definitely Kubica, not Heidfeld. Period.

Also, BMW shot their feet themselves when their decided to focus on 2009. Who knows, maybe other wins would be possible for Heidfeld too?

Let leave this as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:00 pm 

Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Heidfeld did get lucky with the SC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Kubica was one of the most low-key drivers on the grid, you should really be mad at BMW for stopping development on the F108 while Kubica fighting for the WDC.

edit: BTW Heidfield never stood a chance vs Kubica in Canada 08.

Yep they concentrated on getting Heidfeld up to speed allowing Kubica's WDC chance to slowly disappear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm 

I think that ship has sailed. Don't think we'll ever see him race in F1 again...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:59 am 

I rated the guy very highly, but unfortunately we will never know where he would have ended up without his injury.

I too think his time in F1 is over :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm 

kai_ wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Kubica was one of the most low-key drivers on the grid, you should really be mad at BMW for stopping development on the F108 while Kubica was fighting for the WDC. BTW Heidfield never stood a chance vs Kubica in Canada 08.

That was a very frustrating decision. The way 2008 ended up playing out with Hamilton and Massa, had BMW kept up development of the F108 Kubica may well have pipped them to the WDC with his consistency, a bit like Raikkonen managed to get himself into third last year. Although it is something that can only be said in hindsight, it really does highlight that in F1 you need to take the opportunities when they arise rather than focus all your efforts on the future.

This. Just like if Kimi had won the WDC in 2012 I wouldn't begrudge him that, I wouldn't have minded if Kubica won in 2008. To be in contention until the second-last race of the season in the 3rd best car says a lot about his abilities. In 2009 I kinda lost a bit of respect for him but what he did in that Renault in 2010, especially against Petrov who's proven to be no slouch against Heidfeld, Senna and Kovi, deserved more than the few podiums he got.

I genuinely miss Robert and I hope he finds success in whatever he attempts later. That he's with us at all is a minor miracle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm 

Volantary wrote:
kai_ wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

This. Just like if Kimi had won the WDC in 2012 I wouldn't begrudge him that, I wouldn't have minded if Kubica won in 2008. To be in contention until the second-last race of the season in the 3rd best car says a lot about his abilities. In 2009 I kinda lost a bit of respect for him but what he did in that Renault in 2010, especially against Petrov who's proven to be no slouch against Heidfeld, Senna and Kovi, deserved more than the few podiums he got.

I genuinely miss Robert and I hope he finds success in whatever he attempts later. That he's with us at all is a minor miracle.

Heidfeld 5-2 Petrov Heidfeld 34-21 Petrov, when both finished, and points, respectively

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 am 

Volantary wrote:
kai_ wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:
Hakkattack wrote:
Kev627 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why did you ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am 

Fabulous driver. Always felt, he gave it his absolute all. Would have been amazing to see where he would have been in the mix today. Can't see him coming back. If he does, will he be at his best as he left?

Remains to be seen, but for the time he was there, he was really good.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 am 

Big Arti wrote:
Volantary wrote:

He moaned endlessly and went from beating Heidfeld fairly soundly to being behind when both finished fairly regularly. At that point I did believe Kubica was nothing special and 2008 was a fluke, but the things he did with that Renault in 2010 made me change my opinion greatly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

Why do people still think he is able to return, mobility in his arm is no where what is needed and will not ever repeat ever return to a state where he would be able to drive F1. Please just quit beating a dead horse (or cow)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:17 pm 

Volantary wrote:
Big Arti wrote:
Volantary wrote:

He moaned endlessly and went from beating Heidfeld fairly soundly to being behind when both finished fairly regularly. At that point I did believe Kubica was nothing special and 2008 was a fluke, but the things he did with that Renault in 2010 made me change my opinion greatly.

I think in 2009 he gave up on BMW quite early on after it appeared the car was a dud. He perhaps knew a long time before we didn't of BMWs plans to quit the sport. He probably couldn't wait to leave and knew his great 2008 season meant he was still held in very high regard up and down the pit lane.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...