planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 am 

Part 1: http://www.fia.com/news/cyber-stewarding

Part 2: http://www.fia.com/news/voice-experience

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 am 

kai_ wrote:

Any comment or opinion? Perhaps a hidden juicy tip-bit to draw us in? Random fact? No?

Yawn.... lets post headlines from random websites RARRRR............

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:18 am 

Jezick wrote:
kai_ wrote:

Any comment or opinion? Perhaps a hidden juicy tip-bit to draw us in? Random fact? No?

The FIA official site is hardly a 'random' website.

There is always stacks of debate on this forum over penalties and this information provides insight about that. Particularly the incident that arose after the Brazilian GP last year regarding Vettel, this article clears up a lot of the debate that was being had in the thread about how the FIA monitor driver behaviour. For me it was simply informative and something to be kept in mind when the season gets underway and I thought other might find that to be the case as well.

If I could have seen an existing thread into which this could go I would have placed it, but there wasn't one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:23 am 

Thanks Kai

Hopefully some will actually read the articles, especially the first one, and realize that the stewards are making their decisions based on a whole lot more data than what they see on the TV set in the sitting room.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
Thanks Kai

Hopefully some will actually read the articles, especially the first one, and realize that the stewards are making their decisions based on a whole lot more data than what they see on the TV set in the sitting room.

I thought they were judging penalties on the severity it effected championship contenders...

Podiums: 5
2014 Championship Standing: *mumble*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 am 

Thanks Kai. Nice to see something informative on the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:55 am 

:thumbup: Interesting read, thanks Kai :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am 

Jezick wrote:
kai_ wrote:

The website's run by a little-known entity known as FiA. Random indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 pm 

Jezick wrote:
kai_ wrote:

Are you just too lazy to read yourself and want the tl;dr?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm 

kai_ wrote:

Hopefully that should keep the usual lot from screaming "Bias against my favorite driver."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 am 

specdecible wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:
Thanks Kai

I thought they were judging penalties on the severity it effected championship contenders...

They certainly used that as part of an explanation for a penalty last season. 8O

Whilst its obvious that they have a lot more info than the average viewer, it would be helpful if they could provide clearer explanations for their decisions when they are based on info not available to everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:09 am 

I thought this was a very interesting statement:

Quote:
“The Stewards also have a list of penalties they can refer to dating back to 2003,” Whiting added. “It’s categorised by offence and penalty, so the Stewards can quickly see who’s done what, where, and what penalties were handed out. That way they can, for example, look at all the penalties given for causing a collision over past seasons and then cross reference that with the video and you pretty quickly come up with suitable penalties for ‘crimes’, based on historical data.”

Often when we look at penalties given we're seeing them in the light of the current season. There's always discussion about how current penalties relate to old penalties but here we're actually seeing that there can be a historical basis for current penalties given.

Something that may seem obvious but it's interesting to get the clarification that this comparison is part of the process.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 pm 

Jezick wrote:
kai_ wrote:

Yeah totally agree, I don't click on a topic just so I have to click on other links. The title draws you in with the word "interesting" only to find some random links instead of any explanation about the "interesting" point.

Its like me saying, interesting happened in Russia:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21476132

Legit link and all, but it provides the reader with little info in what could potentially be a malicious link, even if the URL seems legit.

For all I know the article could be about Stewards having to have their blood pressure checked before races, totally worthless and boring. A lot of rules and regulations about F1 are boring, I don't want to read those kind of stuff.

But had the OP said the the FIA mentioned the Stewards will actually award random penalties during 2013 races to make it more fun/frustrating just like MArio KArt. I'd know that I'd want to click it.

Ofcourse I could've opened the 2 links and understand what this topic is all about, but I rather just bitch about the lack of detail from OP and defend the guy getting bitched by others for bitching straight off the bat. I relate to this guy :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm 

Race2win wrote:
kai_ wrote:

Hopefully that should keep the usual lot from screaming "Bias against my favorite driver."

I think the issue in recent years has not been bias against certain drivers, it's just been the inconsistency of the penalties that have been handed out (although I think this has generally improved in the last couple of years). Overall I think the stewarding last year was a big improvement on what we've seen recently and there seemed to be fewer penalties dished out overall, probably because of the additional information the stewards have access to nowadays. I don't agree with drivers being penalised for minor incidents and small misjudgements, as has been the case in the past few years.

One thing I didn't like from last year though was the idea of drivers getting penalised because of their reputation. I vaguely remember Rosberg getting away with something with the official reason being that he didn't have much of a track record in getting caught up in incidents. On the flip side, I thought Maldonado's penalty in Hungary last year for the barge on di Resta was harsh and I can't help but feel that a less disreputable driver wouldn't have been penalised for the same offence. Which again raises the point about consistency of the stewarding.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am 

Race2win wrote:
kai_ wrote:

:thumbup: