planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm 

OK, we've probably all seen the article from Gary Anderson and subsequent discussion following the 1st test in Jerez - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6121

But I thought that it might be interesting and a bit of fun for people to predict what they think might happen in the 2nd test.

I know it's only testing, but we can still predict some things easliy enough (e.g. Mclaren and faster than Marussia). I thought it might be good to see an early discussion as to who people think are going to be the fastest outright times, and whether anyone is bold enough to predict beyond that into long run pace, etc...

Obviously all anyone has to go on is last year as well as the 1st pre-season test this year, so it's going to be quite a varied pool of views.

To start things off, my view is:

I think Mclaren will show more fast pace, topping the time sheets at least once. Ferrari will probably do so as well and I reckon the other days will be topped by a Lotus and a RBR. I do think RBR will be much faster here than in Jerez, but with more pace still to come.

I think Merc will show further improvement from Jerez, but there will still be some questions over their pace consistency and tyre-wear. Sauber will once again pile in the miles and show decent if not outstanding pace, with Williams putting themselves clearly in battle with them (total guess as we haven't seen their 2013 car yet).

The rest will be inconsequential...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:29 pm 

RBR will likely have some form of failure or issue - not a major one however. They were very reliable in the first test with zero issues. That leads me to believe that component wise, it was probably mostly 2012 stuff, with any new internal parts coming to Barcelona.

Merc will probably top the lap counts again as they try and make sure the car is reliable. I'd expect the Sauber to have a few long runs too.

McLaren will either do spectacularly or fail miserably. The same with Ferrari.

FI will be as mediocre as their only driver, however Sutil will likely prove he's not lost much/anything in his time out.

Not expecting much from Williams with their new car.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm 

I predict more 'it's only testing' posts. I expect Alonso to be the fastest although I don't really like Alonso, and if we see Perez topping the charts I predict topics saying that he will be this year's champion and then... more 'it's only testing' posts.

Supporting N#2s since 1995.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:32 pm 

RBR will still not show their true pace. They will still hover around the 3rd place or so. But yeah all the usual suspects should do well if not better.
Edit: Alonso is back for this test right? Is Williams getting their new car?

Last edited by Race2win on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 pm 

If Sutil comes back and FI performs well I predict champagne toasts in plastic cups! /evil

Supporting N#2s since 1995.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 pm 

Woody_247 wrote:
If Sutil comes back and FI performs well I predict champagne toasts in plastic cups! /evil

He can't help it if he has a nervous twitch :lol:

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 2nd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:26 pm 

Ferrari will pull their heads out of their donkey and give Alonso a car he can win with.
Merc will Prove to Lewis why it was a mistake for him to move teams.
McL will show to Lewis that they improved the car, however their drivers wont make it work.
RBR will crash and burn I hope. Watching their team is like watching Schu at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

Newey will have the rest covered but will not show their true pace except in long runs. Vettel will make sure to have a better time than webber to set the pecking order for the year.
Alonso will try to have top time in at least one day just to show that ferrari is ready to challenge for the title. Massa will remember he's number two.
Mclaren will want to show they are the one's to beat and that their drivers can qualify at the top of the charts. Interesting part is going to be will they show all their updates or will they keep them hidden until australia?
Lotus will show that they are going to be a contender with one lap pace as well as long run pace. Kimi will remind them that he knows what he's doing. Grosjean will try very hard to have fast time to cement his place on the team.
Merc will close the gap to the front running teams but will not quite have enough to match them yet. Hamilton will want to be near the top on the last day to remind everyone that at certain races merc will be a force. Rosberg will be trying very hard to match hamilton to keep from being ignored by the team during the season.
Sauber,williams and toro rossi will be close to the top teams and one of them could surprise.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 pm 

I predict after the 2nd test, there still will not be a clear favourite for the win in OZ!

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm 

More and more fumbling on the forum to follow, that's my prediction.
Together with some neat calculations which don't prove anything yet until Australia. Some flames regarding Mercedes true pace, some Vettel bashing and that's about it.
Oh, and Marussia to fare better than HRT.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:36 pm 

Im predicting two close fast times from Alonso (who will want to test out the car's true potential) and Massa (who desperately wants to make a statement this year). Im hoping that Esteban Gutierrez will continue to impress, and i think that RB will still not show their full hand.