planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 pm 

Congrats to Danica Patrick after sealing her 1st pole in NASCAR for the most prestigious race in the US - The Daytona 500.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/d ... ing-021713

This past Thursday, Milka Duno qualified for her 1st front row start of her career at Daytona in ARCA racing but car trouble placed her in 28th.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:29 pm 

And a Caption:

Danica: Milka - I told you to ease up on the BON BONS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 am 

Not that I'm a huge NASCAR fan or anything, but why is this off topic? The main Forum is "F1 and motorsports", yes?

Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:05 am 

Dont watch NASCAR so pardon my ignorance... Is that the 1st time a girl has won it?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:15 am 

It is the first time a woman has won the pole in any NASCAR cup series (the highest level). The fact that this pole is at the premier NASCAR event, the Daytona 500, makes it even more notable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm 

Blake wrote:
It is the first time a woman has won the pole in any NASCAR cup series (the highest level). The fact that this pole is at the premier NASCAR event, the Daytona 500, makes it even more notable.

she has been fast all thru practice too,she really has a good car for the 500,too bad as she won't have a partner and one idiot would pop out of nowhere yet again thinking they can bully her out of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:30 pm 

Am I wrong or did she not get Indy pole as well?

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm 

Well... she had the advantage, of being smaller than the others -- even admitted weight was a factor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:28 pm 

Fantastic. Love to see her in F1. Imagine Seb's and Lewis's bottom lips touching the tarmac if Danica outqualified them for pole.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:51 pm 

Ah women and Motorsport. I guess they can mix quite well sometimes. I know someone who won't like that much on here...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

Consider moving this to Off Topic..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm 

Lukeism wrote:

Yes because the Daytona 500 is nothing to do with Motorsport at all... /sarcasm.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 pm 

Lukeism wrote:

:uhoh:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 pm 

Qualifying is one thing, but what is her race pace like? Be a shame if she does that and then ends up mid pack by the end.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 pm 

Lukeism wrote:

Like it or not, NASCAR is motorport.... in a big way.

If anything the thread on this topic that is already in Off-Topic should be moved to the Motorsport forum and merged with this one.

No sooner said than done! Good job, Mods!
:thumbup:

Last edited by Blake on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm 

Congratz for her, did she do it without power steering this time? :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:47 pm 

Last year she also won the Nationwide Pole position at Daytona. The junior series at the same track.
No question she's got talent, but I don't think she has the stamina to manhandle that heavy car for 500 miles and get a decent end result.
Next Sunday will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Dont watch NASCAR so pardon my ignorance... Is that the 1st time a girl has won it?

nor do i much, is this the same Danica?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm 

Wow, this is actually the first time I've noticed the '& motorsport' part of the forum..

Carry on..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 pm 

Formula1Fan. wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Yes this one

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Am I wrong or did she not get Indy pole as well?

No pole at Indy, but did lead for a couple of laps one year, and was the first woman to do that as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 am 

nike2die4 wrote:
she has been fast all thru practice too,she really has a good car for the 500,too bad as she won't have a partner and one idiot would pop out of nowhere yet again thinking they can bully her out of the way.

No partner? She is part of the Stewart Haas Racing team, and the other two drivers are Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman. Tony has numerous titles, 2011, 2005, 2002 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion, 1997 Indy Racing League Champion, 1995 USAC Triple Crown Champion, and 1994 USAC National Midget Series Champion. He's as tough as they come, and considered one of the finest talents in NASCAR. Ryan is built like a bodybuilder.

You can't bully anyone at restrictor plate racing, at those speeds you risk crashing out just as easily as anyone else. Danica's qualifying average was 196.925mph, and they will be traveling much faster in a pack. In qualifying at Daytona, it's all about the car, and she has tremendous resources behind her, in the form of Go Daddy as a sponsor, one of the finest wind tunnels in the world (even f1 cars use it), and a team deep in talent.

Danica Patrick qualified first,and Jeff Gordon second, their positions are locked in. But on Thursday there will be two qualifying race to determine to order of the rest of the field. That will be her first true test.

This is what happened to her last year. If you don't want to watch it all, just got to 1:00.00
http://youtu.be/_FUMJH-2h-I

Outside view of what happened.
http://youtu.be/9s3oZBlm7Pk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 am 

That sounds impressive but I know barely anything about NASCAR

Could someone in the know equate the achievement to F1? (e.g. it's like Webber getting a pole in 2011 when Vettel was sitting out or the opposite and it's like Maldonado getting pole for example)

Is qualifying round an oval track not fairly easy to perfect to the extent it comes down to hundredths?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 am 

Johnston wrote:
Yes this one

Yeah that one - that photo is great at relaying how Danica re-wrote the record books as the first female to pole in a top NASCAR event. Just like this one is great at relaying how Alonso got the most podiums in 2012:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 am 

SamH_123 wrote:

Could someone in the know equate the achievement to F1? (e.g. it's like Webber getting a pole in 2011 when Vettel was sitting out or the opposite and it's like Maldonado getting pole for example)

Is qualifying round an oval track not fairly easy to perfect to the extent it comes down to hundredths?

She had the BEST equipment so it would be like Maldonado getting pole in Vettel's car.
And yes qualifying on a oval is a lot easier than on a twisty track as well. Either way it shouldn't tarnish the achievement as her top competitors had equal equipment and a lot more experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 am 

Seb's girl is much more hands on.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

No partner? She is part of the Stewart Haas Racing team, and the other two drivers are Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman. Tony has numerous titles, 2011, 2005, 2002 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion, 1997 Indy Racing League Champion, 1995 USAC Triple Crown Champion, and 1994 USAC National Midget Series Champion. He's as tough as they come, and considered one of the finest talents in NASCAR. Ryan is built like a bodybuilder.

You can't bully anyone at restrictor plate racing, at those speeds you risk crashing out just as easily as anyone else. Danica's qualifying average was 196.925mph, and they will be traveling much faster in a pack. In qualifying at Daytona, it's all about the car, and she has tremendous resources behind her, in the form of Go Daddy as a sponsor, one of the finest wind tunnels in the world (even f1 cars use it), and a team deep in talent.
I meant tag team partner for the race.

Danica Patrick qualified first,and Jeff Gordon second, their positions are locked in. But on Thursday there will be two qualifying race to determine to order of the rest of the field. That will be her first true test.

This is what happened to her last year. If you don't want to watch it all, just got to 1:00.00
http://youtu.be/_FUMJH-2h-I

Outside view of what happened.
http://youtu.be/9s3oZBlm7Pk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 am 

I know many will criticize me for this comment. But the pole at a restrictive plate track ( Daytona & Talladega) means less then testing does in formula one. It might as well me straight line testing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:22 am 

sorry, daytona... but a pole position is a pole position... not testing. There are financial rewards and benefits from pole positions, there are sponsor recognition in pole positions, and there is the advantage of being ahead of the crowd for lap one. No, it is not like F1 where so much havoc often happens in turn one, and yes, it is likely that the pole sitter will not lead start to finish as we sometimes see in F1... but still it is important. I am sure that every other team and driver would LOVE to be on pole and not likely to agree with your straight line testing theory.
:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:44 am 

Ill agree with race winners who agree with me. Like tiny Stewart who used to not even go to Daytona testing for single car runs because he says anyone can do it. Dale jr always says its boring. Sure you get money and a pretty award and as a driver sure it would be cool to have. But it really doesn't mean anything at these places. You'll be going back and forth for 500 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:36 am 

daytona81 wrote:
Ill agree with race winners who agree with me. Like tiny Stewart who used to not even go to Daytona testing for single car runs because he says anyone can do it. Dale jr always says its boring. Sure you get money and a pretty award and as a driver sure it would be cool to have. But it really doesn't mean anything at these places. You'll be going back and forth for 500 miles.

:lol: :lol: The bolded bit made me laugh so hard my boss came into my office to see what was so funny. I know it's probably a typo but the one thing you wouldn't call Tony Stewart is tiny :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 am 

daytona81 wrote:

I understand what you are saying, but the fact remains that most if not ALL drivers would love to have the pole.

Another factor is that you are locked in on the front row, only 2 cars are... the rest have to race for their starting position in one of the two 125 mile races.... where an error can put you back in the pack or even heading home before the race. You cannot discount the value in a secure position in the race.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:39 am 

daytona81 wrote:

You get money, a pretty award and happy sponsors. Are you really going to argue that there is no value in happy sponsors? When you add to that the fact that the moment is played up, talked about more and gets way more air time than normal because for the first time, a female did it, you have to be crazier than a cockatoo to believe that it doesn't mean anything.

Now strictly in terms of racing, she made the record book, not only as the first female to win a pole in a top NASCAR event, but also beat Ken Schrader's 1990 fastest time while doing so. So the record book isn't going to have a lame duck entry. All and all, I disagree with your assessment in this case.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:52 am 

"**** you Danica Patrick, you think you can turn left better than me?"
:)

Anyway, congratz to her.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:19 am 

SamH_123 wrote:

NASCAR runs different types of tracks during the season. Two are road race tracks, that requires no explanation to this crowd. Others are small 1/2 mile ovals, basically a short straight and tight 180 degree corners, some have banking, some are flat. Then there are larger ovals, the most common 1 1/2 miles, and freaking fast. At the top end of the speed spectrum are Daytona and Talladega, so fast they have to put restrictors on the intakes to limit power. Daytona is 2.5 miles around Talladega is 2.66 miles, both banked. In fact, with fresh tires you can drive around the track without lifting the throttle.

The driver's duties for qualifying is to go out (they go one at a time alone), run up against the top to maximize distance traveled and build up speed, do that for two laps, and then on the last of 2 qualifying laps, run the bottom line (shortest distance). All you have to do is be smooth and stay on the preferred line. And of course, stay on the gas.
http://youtu.be/dawTPtI0i9g

For the race itself, the cars are very equal and with drafting, it's easy to hang behind another car. But when you have 43 cars fighting for first place, it can and does get hairy. If something goes wrong a wreck can involve many cars, they cal it "the big one".
http://youtu.be/NQbSZMNkVyM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 am 

And road rage happens.

http://youtu.be/FwfKK2yfMTs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am 

Johnston wrote:
Formula1Fan. wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Yes this one

This is what narked me about. We get it, you've got a set of boobs, stop using them to get some cheap PR and get on with the racing (which she seems to be doing a bit more now).

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:34 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Johnston wrote:
Formula1Fan. wrote:
Race2win wrote:

Yes this one

This is what narked me about. We get it, you've got a set of boobs, stop using them to get some cheap PR and get on with the racing (which she seems to be doing a bit more now).

To be fair, a lot of F1 drivers use their image to promote products. It's no different really.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 am 

In a world where money for racing etc is tight, if I had someone want to advertise with me I'd take it. Her using the fact she is a woman is not really any different than Alonso-Santander because he is Spanish. Kobi getting that Toyota drive for a bit because he is Japanese etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am 

If you've got it, flaunt it. Every F1 driver that appears in an ad does the same. You can bet Jenson isn't doing Head and Shoulders because he's got great hair but also because he's the MILFs favourite.

As for it's only daytona etc etc, she still had to go faster than everyone else.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."