planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm 

Blake wrote:
pretty much, pokerman. However, that takes skill as well... despite fishy's thoughts, you have to take anybody seriously who can do it, even in qualifying.

Well i guess it still takes a lot of balls to do which the average Joe public wouldn't have, but perhaps just a day at the office for a prefessional racing driver

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 1st

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
pretty much, pokerman. However, that takes skill as well... despite fishy's thoughts, you have to take anybody seriously who can do it, even in qualifying.

Well i guess it still takes a lot of balls to do which the average Joe public wouldn't have, but perhaps just a day at the office for a prefessional racing driver

just like every other day for them then regardless of the track,still an impressive job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Although it may be a matter of planting your foot to the floor and keep it off the wall for qualifying (even if it isn't really) the race is a whole other story. Now try to imagine 40+ cars all trying to the same with very little space between them, drafting off another car to save fuel but then having to get into clean air so you don't overheat. From what I understand it's a new car this year so the bumpers don't line up for bump drafting so that should be out of the equation, but are a lot of things that go into driving these cars on the types of tracks they race on.

I haven't been a fan of NASCAR since the late '70s, but that doesn't mean that I can't or don't recognize the skill it takes to do what they do, and so far this weekend Danica is doing it the best. Will it hold up? Who knows, but things often don't go well for pole sitters at Daytona or Talledega, so I will hope for a solid top ten for her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:31 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Johnston wrote:
And remember just because she's not seen as successful on this side of the Atlantic just like Dario on their side they are seen as stars. Where as the Likes of Nico Rosberg they would say "Who's that ? what has he done, One win One pole not very successful is he? " So there is the perspective thing in the relevant markets.

Here's the thing; I watch and enjoy a fair amount of Indy and regard people like Dario as highly successful. In no way am I diminishing the achievements of people who race 'cross th' pond. From what I remember Danica came into the sport with a lot of hype (I guess that's the US media style) when there were kids who were probably just as talented as her who received little to no recognition That's what annoys me.

Isn't that the same in any series. You will get some drivers come in relatively quietly and those surrounded by hype?

Okay hers will be a certain bit more but thats because women are still a novelty in racing.

to take one thats been in the news, look a what followed Oscar Pistorius when he did the Olympics. How many of the other guys that beat him can you name?

True but thats due in part to 400M running being a somewhat low profile event

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:

Although it may be a matter of planting your foot to the floor and keep it off the wall for qualifying (even if it isn't really) the race is a whole other story. Now try to imagine 40+ cars all trying to the same with very little space between them, drafting off another car to save fuel but then having to get into clean air so you don't overheat. From what I understand it's a new car this year so the bumpers don't line up for bump drafting so that should be out of the equation, but are a lot of things that go into driving these cars on the types of tracks they race on.

I haven't been a fan of NASCAR since the late '70s, but that doesn't mean that I can't or don't recognize the skill it takes to do what they do, and so far this weekend Danica is doing it the best. Will it hold up? Who knows, but things often don't go well for pole sitters at Daytona or Talledega, so I will hope for a solid top ten for her.

Well i was referring to the qualifying part of it and not the race itself which i have little knowledge of

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm 

Blake wrote:
SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
Meanwhile, on the same day, Courtney Force got her 2nd career victory in the NHRA, and became the first woman to win the Winternationals. I was there for that, since the track is roughly 60 miles from my house, and the crowd roared when she did it. Nothing on ESPN SportsCenter about it, though....

That is cool, Snake. Winternationals still at Pomona? I must say that I am a bit surprised that Muldowney never won at the Winternationals though... oh, well, she did quite well on other tracks though!
:]

Yup, still in Pomona. I'm not sure if Force is the only woman to ever win there or the only woman to win there in Funny Car, but here's another crazy stat: She's only the 4th #1 qualifier to win the event in the last 25 years! 8O Impressive. If she can become as ultra-consistent as her father was in his prime, she's gonna win tons and tons before she's done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Am i right in believing that with the restrictor plate the cars can run flat out around Daytona?

Yes. IIRC they can go flat out even without a restrictor plate, and they'd be averaging over 221 mph! 8O I remember when Rusty Wallace did a test at one of the restrictor-plate tracks without the plate, and he was hitting over 228 mph on the straights, and he said it was possible to go as fast as 235 mph if they put a good setup on it. This was 9 years ago so I'm sure the cars are much faster now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:50 pm 

SnakeSVT2003 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Am i right in believing that with the restrictor plate the cars can run flat out around Daytona?

Yes. IIRC they can go flat out even without a restrictor plate, and they'd be averaging over 221 mph! 8O I remember when Rusty Wallace did a test at one of the restrictor-plate tracks without the plate, and he was hitting over 228 mph on the straights, and he said it was possible to go as fast as 235 mph if they put a good setup on it. This was 9 years ago so I'm sure the cars are much faster now.

Ok i thought that was the case, so qualifying would be down to the car as much as anything and Danica herself was honest enough to acknowledge the advantage of weighing so little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 pm 

West wrote:
SamH_123 wrote:
T

She had the BEST equipment so it would be like Maldonado getting pole in Vettel's car.
And yes qualifying on a oval is a lot easier than on a twisty track as well. Either way it shouldn't tarnish the achievement as her top competitors had equal equipment and a lot more experience.

I'm not sure qualifying on an oval is a LOT easier than a twisty track. Somewhat different skills.

I don't watch Nascar anymore, but I hope she does well on Sunday

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 pm 

silkjet wrote:
West wrote:
SamH_123 wrote:
T

She had the BEST equipment so it would be like Maldonado getting pole in Vettel's car.
And yes qualifying on a oval is a lot easier than on a twisty track as well. Either way it shouldn't tarnish the achievement as her top competitors had equal equipment and a lot more experience.

I'm not sure qualifying on an oval is a LOT easier than a twisty track. Somewhat different skills.

Yes, it's pedal to the metal at all times and you only need to watch your "perfect" in/out line, the rest is all car.

Exact gear shifting and finding exact braking points are a bit more difficult. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:43 am 

West wrote:
Yes, it's pedal to the metal at all times and you only need to watch your "perfect" in/out line, the rest is all car.

Exact gear shifting and finding exact braking points are a bit more difficult. :)

Yup, it is easy.... everyone can do it.

West, you like some others, have no idea what is involved...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 am 

Blake wrote:
West wrote:

Yup, it is easy.... everyone can do it.

Blake I'm afraid when it comes to Daytona qualifying West is spot on. Dover, Bristol, Michigan... Totally different proposition!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 am 

Blake wrote:
West wrote:

Well, I've been watching oval racing for about 40 years, so please tell me what makes a good lap, other than finding the perfect line around the track at full throttle?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 am 

west, you make it sound as though there is nothing to it.... but that is not the case. There are variations in the surface, wind factors, the perfect line in the turns, and just where to run on the track to maximize the run. I recall even one of the other drivers commented on Patrick saving the car and the lap when hit with a gust of win that moved the car sideways.

If it were so damn simple, everyone could do it. After all, 200mph in a 3400 lb sled with nearby walls is no big deal.... hell everyone can do it!
;)