planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:09 pm 

Not sure how it would work out but would be interesting to see the final race with just a few drivers(maybe 6?). It'd be similar to the Fedex Cup in golf. I understand it's exciting to see 24 cars off the grid and going into T1. But might not be a bad thing is the field shrinks progressively in the last few races. Just a thought...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm 

That actually could be fun just the top 6. But then again they are busy the whole year training and meeting commitments. Theyd prefer spending time with their families atleast a month or 2 before they start the routine again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm 

That actually could be fun just the top 6. But then again they are busy the whole year training and meeting commitments. Theyd prefer spending time with their families atleast for a month or 2 before they start the routine again

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm 

I'd be curious to see them hold such a race at Melbourne so we could judge how much the cars evolve over a season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:24 pm 

Whoops.... sorry about the double post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 pm 

Race2win wrote:
That actually could be fun just the top 6. But then again they are busy the whole year training and meeting commitments. Theyd prefer spending time with their families atleast for a month or 2 before they start the routine again

I don't mean that the post season is in addition to the 20 or 21 races but rather it starts maybe on race 15 or something like that. So on race 15, maybe 4 drivers get eliminated, so on and so forth. By the last race, there are only 4-6 drivers left...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

Say goodbye to the sponsors who would like to be seen in the countries where the last quarter of the season are held. Which unfortunately can change year to year, making sponsorship deals 1 year contracts, and using up more team resources to pursue, maintain, and renegotiate year after year rather than using them to build better cars. Having the uncertainty over where your funding may or may not be coming from doesn't do much for long term planning either, which is another necessity for building a strong team.

So basically, no thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm 

ashley313 wrote:
Say goodbye to the sponsors who would like to be seen in the countries where the last quarter of the season are held. Which unfortunately can change year to year, making sponsorship deals 1 year contracts, and using up more team resources to pursue, maintain, and renegotiate year after year rather than using them to build better cars. Having the uncertainty over where your funding may or may not be coming from doesn't do much for long term planning either, which is another necessity for building a strong team.

So basically, no thank you.

But it could increase viewers which could mean more sponsorship dollars. It also means sponsors can pay the smaller teams race by race. If it ends early, that only means they stop spending money on this year's development and focus on next year's. In turns, a better car next year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm 

Paying on a race by race basis is not good for any team, for any year. You need to plan ahead, and you can't do that without knowing your budget timeline.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:34 pm 

1 race at SPA after the season maybe 20 laps with no pitstops in equal cars between the top drivers depending on championships competitiveness & performance so good drivers don't miss out unfairly - ie Hamilton with 3 failures not his fault. Difficult but it'd be a good watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:14 pm 

i wish F1 had an "all star" weekend type thing like NASCAR does,i know alot think that's too gimmicky but i think it would be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24 pm 

In addition to the current calender of GPs? I'd be interested.

In place of GPs towards the end of the calender? No bleeping way would I be interested.

I'll be attending Austin for as long as its on the calender, which if it keeps its current spot on the calender means we'd have about 10 total cars if my understanding is correct. With Barcelona getting 6 I guess. So in the case of this past year, if I had purchased tickets hoping to see Schumacher, well I'd be SOL.

I'd definitely skip Austin and put that money toward attending an actual Grand Prix with a full grid earlier in the calender, especially given there's not a lot of point attending something on a 3+ mile circuit that has just 5-10 vehicles on it at any time since you're pretty much guaranteed to be looking at empty asphalt in front of you most of the time.

Might be good idea if you'd rather just see a handful of the top drivers/teams and wished the rest of the field wasn't there... likely for any race, and its way to achieve that end.