planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SkySports F1 changes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 pm 

Hi all

Existing subscribers to Sky HD will continue to get the F1 channel at no extra cost but New subscribers will have to take the SkySports package to get the F1 Channel

http://recombu.com/digital/news/sky-com ... 11199.html

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

Post subject: Re: SkySports F1 changes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

Another nail in the coffin for the sport in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm 

I have the current HD pack so get it without the Sports package but I can see this being changed in future seasons to bring everyone in line, despite their denials, as soon as that happens it will be bye bye sky!

In the article though it does say the sky F1 HD channel will be bundled with the sports package, does this only apply to the HD channel? Is the SD channel still available without the sports package?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm 

crankcase wrote:
I have the current HD pack so get it without the Sports package but I can see this being changed in future seasons to bring everyone in line, despite their denials, as soon as that happens it will be bye bye sky!

In the article though it does say the sky F1 HD channel will be bundled with the sports package, does this only apply to the HD channel? Is the SD channel still available without the sports package?

The SD channel was never available for free, it was bundled in with the Sky Psorts package from day 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:47 pm 

I don't think you could pull it off as someone migrating to Sky, although it doesn't mean you couldn't try, but it is possible to haggle with Sky. Threatening to leave at the end of your contract means they will often offer you a significantly reduced rate. This is because your first contract subsidizes the expense of having Sky installed at your property and the equipment. After the first year is up this gives them a lot of room for you to negotiate on cost. They will often throw in Sky Sports or Sky Movies for free on your existing tariff if you're not already subscribed to them. Call them up, say you are unhappy and are thinking about leaving unless they can make it cheaper for you/offer more services at your existing rate.

It is a lot more expensive to get a new customer than it is to retain an existing one, because of the blind, shotgun advertising campaigns they have to do, so the power is very much with the consumer on this.

If you are not already a Sky customer, but your house is already wired up for Sky and you have the equipment, this would probably give you leverage to negotiate as well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

It baffles me how they're making it even less accessible than it was before. Okay, the people taking up a Sky subscription this year would be far less than last year but you'd still think that they'd want to attract those who still haven't taken the leap.

I would have thought the most profitable way for Sky to make money out of F1 would be to offer the channel on its own at say £9.99-£14.99 a month to sky/virgin/bt customers. A lot of people don't want the other four sports channels and the cost of signing up for them puts most people off.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:38 pm 

I just got sky, I wanted the sports package so either way I get F1 :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm 

Quote:
Existing subscribers to the £10.25/month HD boost will still get Sky F1 HD without Sky Sports, and Sky said there are no plans to change that in future seasons.

Hopefully they keep their word.
As an F1 fan I can just about justify the extra per month for F1 and more HD channels. However, I have little interest in watching the rest of Sky's sports or movie content, so really couldn't justify the extra expense.

As far as I can tell the entry price to watch F1 on Sky is going up from around £35 a month to around £55 :uhoh:

Last edited by wolfticket on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

As long as I'm in employment and can afford to heat my house and put food on the table I will have the full package with Sky

Saves me going out on the lash and p!ssing the money up the wall, and the whole family gets to enjoy the TV

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

i pay 40 a month for my mobile , 40 for the gym , a family day out can be close to £100! ok i already had a sky package before so i just pay the extra £10 for sky f1 but really for the amount of coverage you get is it really that bad? watching f1 is a hobby to me and is many times cheaper than all of my others lol :D

i do think the bbc should've made more of f1 , it seemed like they just let it slip rather than investing to boost interest in the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:05 pm 

manny carvalho wrote:
i do think the bbc should've made more of f1 , it seemed like they just let it slip rather than investing to boost interest in the sport.

I don't think this is true. F1 on the BBC was getting its highest ratings in 2011. It was such a shock when they negotiated away exclusivity to Sky, when they'd won awards and had worked to get decent ratings. Wasn't the Canadian GP (albeit an eventful over run race) the highest rated show in its time slot? Unthinkable for F1 in previous years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm 

i didn't know the figures , maybe let slip is harsh :) obviously bbc one isn't a dedicated channel and i enjoyed recent years but i just think they could've made more of it. maybe fp sessions shown on another bbc channel and an "f1 show" just to give us a bit more that they have no time for on raceday.

as i say im happy with skyf1 i would just prefer it to have been the bbc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

manny carvalho wrote:
i didn't know the figures , maybe let slip is harsh :) obviously bbc one isn't a dedicated channel and i enjoyed recent years but i just think they could've made more of it. maybe fp sessions shown on another bbc channel and an "f1 show" just to give us a bit more that they have no time for on raceday.

as i say im happy with skyf1 i would just prefer it to have been the bbc.

They did! It was (and still is when they have the race) on BBC red button.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:56 am 

I get free F1 and other sports in my country...well not free but the package is so cheap compared to UK : D...sad for the UK fans : (

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am 

Seanie wrote:
I would have thought the most profitable way for Sky to make money out of F1 would be to offer the channel on its own at say £9.99-£14.99 a month to sky/virgin/bt customers. A lot of people don't want the other four sports channels and the cost of signing up for them puts most people off.

Clearly not though as they are not doing it!

"Don't worry, I'm pushing like a hell!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 am 

Evidently Sky are trying to get more money out of those of us that have a Sky package purely for F1 (although, since having Sky, there are other aspects of the service that I've come to enjoy).

The problem I can see (and it's one that I'm sure they're aware of) is that, out of my friends that watch F1 and I, there are very few of us that are fans of 'sport'. We like F1... and that's about it. There are others out there I'm sure who will get the full sports package and watch sports all day long.

I, however, pretty much limit my 'sport' to F1. I might occasionally watch football or snooker if they're on, but really it's all about motorsport. Although only some motorsport!

I've been happy to spend the £30 a month up until now, but if it gets much higher than that then I'll just have to find alternative ways to watch F1 live, because I can't see myself justifying a full sports package just for one sport.

In fairness to Sky, I always expected this shift to come, although perhaps not quite this soon.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:25 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
Evidently Sky are trying to get more money out of those of us that have a Sky package purely for F1 (although, since having Sky, there are other aspects of the service that I've come to enjoy).

The problem I can see (and it's one that I'm sure they're aware of) is that, out of my friends that watch F1 and I, there are very few of us that are fans of 'sport'. We like F1... and that's about it. There are others out there I'm sure who will get the full sports package and watch sports all day long.

I, however, pretty much limit my 'sport' to F1. I might occasionally watch football or snooker if they're on, but really it's all about motorsport. Although only some motorsport!

I've been happy to spend the £30 a month up until now, but if it gets much higher than that then I'll just have to find alternative ways to watch F1 live, because I can't see myself justifying a full sports package just for one sport.

In fairness to Sky, I always expected this shift to come, although perhaps not quite this soon.

They say its not going to change for us who already have it which is good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:32 pm 

And for those interested in taking it up you can get the HD half price for the first 6 months £5 instead of £10 a month. And as an extra bonus get sky through topcashback and you get £100 cash back!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 pm 

Have you seen those adverts..."If you don't have Sky F1, then you are not a true fan!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:01 pm 

Museli wrote:
Have you seen those adverts..."If you don't have Sky F1, then you are not a true fan!"

No! When have hey payed them?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 am 

I signed up last night, finally cancelled Virgin Media. Got F1 and saved money, plus £150 quidco. I still get the F1 channel for 10.25 and its half price for 6 months.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:52 pm 

A2jdl wrote:
And for those interested in taking it up you can get the HD half price for the first 6 months £5 instead of £10 a month. And as an extra bonus get sky through topcashback and you get £100 cash back!

But you don't get sky sports f1 with HD now... :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:26 pm 

I'm sure these changes are not in place yet. I ordered sky last week, install tomorrow and it includes f1 with the basic hd pack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 pm 

Seanie wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

you do its changing in March or April i cant remember which month, but at the moment you do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 am 

A2jdl wrote:
Seanie wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

you do its changing in March or April i cant remember which month, but at the moment you do.

Yeah I've phoned to book up for sky this morning and I was told the new rules won't come in untill April so I will still receive sky f1 hd free, I get a feeling that will only last for this season though, if it even last that long! Maybe they will wait untill mid season when it's in full flow and then cut it off so only the sky sports subscribers will still receive it, this way they can get more f1 fans signed up for the rest of the season, I would be gutted if they did that but I know how greedy sky can be and i really wouldn't be surprised!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:39 am 

Dr664 wrote:
I know how greedy sky can be and i really wouldn't be surprised!

Yeah, greedy is putting it mildly.

It's outrageous how much they are milking it. I had to smile when I read that the viewing figures are already falling back. What did they expect when the BBC became marginalised in it's coverage?

The same will happen to Moto GP after this year.

Enjoy it while you can. F1 will go into decline in years to come. The sponsors will find something else to put their names on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am 

guess it will never come to topup tv. I have watched the sky coverage before at a friends house, certainly would feel crappy to pay for adverts during the build up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 am 

sixwheeler wrote:
Dr664 wrote:

It's outrageous how much they are milking it. I had to smile when I read that the viewing figures are already falling back. What did they expect when the BBC became marginalised in it's coverage?

Enjoy it while you can. F1 will go into decline in years to come. The sponsors will find something else to put their names on.

Don't be so daft Sky is doing what it does, its a sports channel and they are bundle it with the rest of them, I was shocked they they put it on with the Hd pack to start with.

Shout and moan about Sky as much as you want be remember they did not cause this. The BBC approached them and gave it to them on a plate.

Sky has a responsibility to its share holders to provide profit not give channels away. Sky Is a business and is doing what's in those interests.

The BBC screwed us not Sky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:07 am 

sixwheeler wrote:
Dr664 wrote:

1) The BBC weren't marginalised in their coverage, they CHOSE to cut back
2) MotoGP will more than likely be on the BBC (or, at worst, Eurosport) after this year.

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:14 am 

f1fan09 wrote:
guess it will never come to topup tv. I have watched the sky coverage before at a friends house, certainly would feel crappy to pay for adverts during the build up.

See this is something I don't get when people say "Paying for crappy adverts"

The adverts are only on when it's not broadcast on the beeb and on Non-Live races the adverts stop before anything interesting happens anyway. So they are during periods of not a lot happening or during a time that under previous circumstances you wouldn't be watching F1 anyway. So basically despite the adverts you are still getting more minutes of F1 time.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Museli wrote:

No! When have hey payed them?

On Sky Sports F1 of course. If you were a true fan you would have it, and have seen them
:twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 am 

Yet again Sky are pushing out an entire generation of fans. Many of us students cannot afford to get Sky, simple as that. My loan covers food and essential bills. That's it. I've been writing race reviews and various other articles for well over 2 years now, but suddenly according to Sky I'm not a true fan because my bank balance doesn't add up? Disgusting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am 

Sky aren't pushing fans out, the beeb did by dropping their coverage.

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

They are. They are pushing out the fans who don't have a high income or are unwilling to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for 19 weekends of racing.

If Sky reduced the price of their subscription then more people would join meaning they'd claw back what they would lose dropping the price and probably make more profit. But they won't because Sky have always been a greedy business. I'd probably do the same if it was my business but they are excluding a huge number of fans and they know they are.

The BBC didn't exclude anyone, Bernie did. He made sure they couldn't afford the rights anymore, he offered them to Channel 4 and ITV but neither were good enough in his eyes to take on Sky.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 am 

Tufty wrote:
Yet again Sky are pushing out an entire generation of fans. Many of us students cannot afford to get Sky, simple as that. My loan covers food and essential bills. That's it. I've been writing race reviews and various other articles for well over 2 years now, but suddenly according to Sky I'm not a true fan because my bank balance doesn't add up? Disgusting.

Come on most students (not saying you or all) easily p!ss away £40+ on drink every month!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 am 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

Spot on!

People cry about Sky making a profit but the BBC are just as bad

Look at BBC program's paid for by the licence payer (Gavin & Stacey, the whole Wonders of Life/ solar system / universe, only fools and horses) all of which take in loads of ££££ through DVD sales.. That's right you're paying again for something you funded to be made in the first place!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 am 

Laura23 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

They are. They are pushing out the fans who don't have a high income or are unwilling to pay such a ridiculous amount of money for 19 weekends of racing.

If Sky reduced the price of their subscription then more people would join meaning they'd claw back what they would lose dropping the price and probably make more profit. But they won't because Sky have always been a greedy business. I'd probably do the same if it was my business but they are excluding a huge number of fans and they know they are.

The BBC didn't exclude anyone, Bernie did. He made sure they couldn't afford the rights anymore, he offered them to Channel 4 and ITV but neither were good enough in his eyes to take on Sky.

I don't blame Sky for setting their prices as they do, they're a business, businesses want to make as much money as possible.

This article (if you ignore the opinion stuff at the end which is irrelevant) shows that the BBC were stupid with their negotiating techniques and if they hadn't been so stubborn and maybe come to some sort of share agreement with another terrestrial -broadcaster, could have kept F1 free to air. They wanted it all in the short term and, in the end, it cost them long-term:
http://gpfocus.com/a-view-from-the-ruth ... with-itvs/

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

Spot on!

People cry about Sky making a profit but the BBC are just as bad

Look at BBC program's paid for by the licence payer (Gavin & Stacey, the whole Wonders of Life/ solar system / universe, only fools and horses) all of which take in loads of ££££ through DVD sales.. That's right you're paying again for something you funded to be made in the first place!

One has the choice of buying the DVD. The more cunning among us can just record it and switch it to a DVD from the DVR. The TV license isn't exactly a stretch for any household to pay anyway, it only costs £5 a week. Split that between two/three people and you really are paying very little.

Get well soon Schumi. Keep fighting as hard as we know you can. Thinking of Corinna, Gina-Maria, Mick and the rest of the Schumacher family.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 am 

Simply put the BBC had a long term contract to show F1 but negotiated a £600million deal for one summer of Olympics

That would've covered 12 years of F1 rights

What makes more sense? One summer or 12 years of sport that was getting more and more poplar with coverage that won awards?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 am 

Laura23 wrote:

Bernie had nothing to do with the SKY deal.

BBC signed up to the deal and agreed to it, mid way through they decided they wanted out. Bernie didn't push the price up to make sure they couldn't afford it because there was no negotiation on prices due to the contract still being valid. .

He didn't offer them to Channel 4 or ITV because the rights were still owned by the BBC. BBC did the deal NOT Bernie. BBC went to SKY first not Bernie. ITV and Channel 4 couldn't take the rights on because the rights were still contracted to the BBC. There was no Tender and no Offering to anyone else. Even if Bernie wanted to and Channel 4 or ITV were willing to cough up the dough Bernie couldn't have given them the rights.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."