planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: SkySports F1 changes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 am 

Only a minority of the British public watch F1. The BBC couldn't justify the money it was spending on something for only 4-5 million viewers max. The Olympics hits a much much wider target and only happens once every four years. It is a true world event like the World Cup. Both are the two world's most watched sporting events. Given London was hosting them I doubt the UK minded how much was spent on this occasion. We wanted to show off to the world how good we are and that included ourselves.

F1 isn't worth the money Bernie charges I'm afraid. Sky can afford his silly prices because of their own silly prices. They are a match made in heaven for the riches. For the poorer set you just have to lump it. Thems the new rules.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:00 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Only a minority of the British public watch F1. The BBC couldn't justify the money it was spending on something for only 4-5 million viewers max. The Olympics hits a much much wider target and only happens once every four years. It is a true world event like the World Cup. Both are the two world's most watched sporting events. Given London was hosting them I doubt the UK minded how much was spent on this occasion. We wanted to show off to the world how good we are and that included ourselves.

F1 isn't worth the money Bernie charges I'm afraid. Sky can afford his silly prices because of their own silly prices. They are a match made in heaven for the riches. For the poorer set you just have to lump it. Thems the new rules.

Something is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. Bernie cannot be blamed if someone wants to pay a lot of money for his product. Hardly any major sport is available entirely on free to view anyway. On reflection we were lucky it lasted so long.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:56 pm 

I seem to recall reading an article where it was implied the Beeb would rather the contract go to Sky than to another terrestrial channel so as not to lose as much face. I have no idea whether that would be something that would bother a nationalised non-commercial TV station.

What this article also supplied was a supposed Ch4 F1 proposition, which included all FP coverage, and (I think) no adverts during live action, as we now have with Sky. Couldn't find the proposal, but there's some stuff about it here... http://www.thedrum.com/news/2011/08/10/ ... d-document

Don't also forget that the coalition froze the license fee, which must have had some effect on the Beeb's ability to pay Bernie's fees.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:03 pm 

Some people blame Bernie. Some people blame Sky. Some people blame the BBC.

Meanwhile the real culprit is sat in Downing Street laughing his big fat face off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:32 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

Agree with that.

Not only did the BBC coverage maximise the viewing figures in the UK, but it gave rise to better penetration worldwide, and the quality of coverage was never better than in those few years. I'd wager that the overall reduction in viewing figures is down to the reduced BBC coverage more than any other cause. F1 management/Bernie were shortsighted on that point, and they will surely pay for that mistake in the long term. Potential sponsors monitor viewing figures, and the demographics, very closely. They're not interested in the hardened enthusiasts, it's the casual viewers that add the value, and casual viewers don't pay hundreds in advance for the pleasure. F1 will come under more economic pressure as a result, because they will be more cautious about where they invest. Bernie and his shareholders should be making sure the balance is right and the BBC and their distribution network is a very important part of what they produce.

For those who say it was the BBC's own fault, well yes that is substantially correct. But it has to be understood that the BBC is the focus of a lot of outside pressures little to do with actual broadcasting content, and the current management isn't up to the job. They've mostly been placed in order to conform to what is expected of them from outside, and they do what they are told if they want to keep their jobs. There's no long term strategy any more. I think it's no coincidence that this all happened in the run up to the Olympics.

So Sky took the opportunity with both hands and is now exploiting their position to the maximum, and Bernie gave it his approval. I saw the look on his face at the first interview when all this blew up, and unusually for him he looked like a man who wasn't quite sure how to respond. Those of you who are happy to pay through the nose just to be able to watch Brundle and the adverts, you just go ahead and enjoy. I shan't be joining you, and neither will many others. I've got used to watching the highlights already, and if the BBC lose it I'll just do something else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Yet again Sky are pushing out an entire generation of fans. Many of us students cannot afford to get Sky, simple as that. My loan covers food and essential bills. That's it. I've been writing race reviews and various other articles for well over 2 years now, but suddenly according to Sky I'm not a true fan because my bank balance doesn't add up? Disgusting.

Come on most students (not saying you or all) easily p!ss away £40+ on drink every month!

Most, yeah. Not me. Don't drink, and wouldn't have the money anyway. Otherwise I'd just cut back and get Sky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

Agree with that.

Not only did the BBC coverage maximise the viewing figures in the UK, but it gave rise to better penetration worldwide, and the quality of coverage was never better than in those few years. I'd wager that the overall reduction in viewing figures is down to the reduced BBC coverage more than any other cause. F1 management/Bernie were shortsighted on that point, and they will surely pay for that mistake in the long term. Potential sponsors monitor viewing figures, and the demographics, very closely. They're not interested in the hardened enthusiasts, it's the casual viewers that add the value, and casual viewers don't pay hundreds in advance for the pleasure. F1 will come under more economic pressure as a result, because they will be more cautious about where they invest. Bernie and his shareholders should be making sure the balance is right and the BBC and their distribution network is a very important part of what they produce.

For those who say it was the BBC's own fault, well yes that is substantially correct. But it has to be understood that the BBC is the focus of a lot of outside pressures little to do with actual broadcasting content, and the current management isn't up to the job. They've mostly been placed in order to conform to what is expected of them from outside, and they do what they are told if they want to keep their jobs. There's no long term strategy any more. I think it's no coincidence that this all happened in the run up to the Olympics.

So Sky took the opportunity with both hands and is now exploiting their position to the maximum, and Bernie gave it his approval. I saw the look on his face at the first interview when all this blew up, and unusually for him he looked like a man who wasn't quite sure how to respond. Those of you who are happy to pay through the nose just to be able to watch Brundle and the adverts, you just go ahead and enjoy. I shan't be joining you, and neither will many others. I've got used to watching the highlights already, and if the BBC lose it I'll just do something else.

I don't pay Sky soley for F1, they make plenty of original programs (many of which win awards.. Mad Dogs, Spy)

I my live was taken up with just F1 I think I'd probably have a pretty sad life. I love the sport and as my name suggests I go to a GP every year but one thing I personally hate is watching highlights and trying to avoid results before I see them

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Those of you who are happy to pay through the nose just to be able to watch Brundle and the adverts, you just go ahead and enjoy. I shan't be joining you, and neither will many others.

Why the obvious resentment? I choose to pay for Sky so I can see every race live, you don't. There's no need to hate me (and many others) for making that choice.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

It's weird how some people put some sort of television ideology before the ability to see live F1. I'm not saying it's right or wrong to do so... but, for me, my dedication is to getting as much F1 as possible, and watching it live is essential. I like to get angry at life's injustices, but television channel politics just doesn't make me angry enough.

I know there are some who love F1 but are missing out purely due to ideological issues with Sky, and for those I think it's a bit of a shame.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:47 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:

Not only did the BBC coverage maximise the viewing figures in the UK, but it gave rise to better penetration worldwide, and the quality of coverage was never better than in those few years. I'd wager that the overall reduction in viewing figures is down to the reduced BBC coverage more than any other cause.

How did it get better penetration worldwide? The audiences that use the BBC feed outside of the UK are unaffected. BBC are still doing a full live show for them. Worldwide was not affected by the deal. That's why I think the set up is so daft. I'm in the UK, pay a licence fee but I can only get full BBC broadcast by paying an Irish provider.

As for the UK being the culprit for the reduction in figures. China dropped by 25mill viewers, UK by something like 4mill. So no the BBC/SKY deal is not the culprit.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:29 pm 

Sky hold the contract to broadcast it exclusively in the UK. If you want to watch F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

Sky do a cracking coverage. Who cares about adverts, that play no part in Qualifying or Race day coverage. I don't refuse to watch ITV, C4 or Five due to adverts..

..I tend to Sky+ everything so I can skip adverts ;)

Not to mention with Sky you get some decent Hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm 

Malkiiin wrote:
Sky hold the contract to broadcast it exclusively in the UK. If you want to watch F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

Sky do a cracking coverage. Who cares about adverts, that play no part in Qualifying or Race day coverage. I don't refuse to watch ITV, C4 or Five due to adverts..

Your first 2 sentences simply are not true.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Sky hold the contract to broadcast it exclusively live in the UK. If you want to watch live F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

I've adapted them slightly so that they become true statements.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Sky hold the contract to broadcast it exclusively live in the UK. If you want to watch live F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

No they still aren't correct.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Sky hold the contract to broadcast 10 races exclusively live in the UK. If you want to watch 10 races exclusivelylive F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

Now?

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:
Sky hold the contract to broadcast 10 races exclusively live in the UK. If you want to watch 10 races exclusivelylive F1, then you have to have Sky. Most households these days are subscribers to some provider, Virgin, BT, or Sky. You don't even have to have the box and dish; I used to use SkyGo on my laptop, and HDMI' connected it to my tele. Sky do a subscription through a browser now. And have even penetrated consoles.

Now?

In other words, you can watch all the races on the BBC. And you can watch half of them live on the BBC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm 

hundleton1 wrote:
sixwheeler wrote:
Dr664 wrote:
I know how greedy sky can be and i really wouldn't be surprised!

Yeah, greedy is putting it mildly.

It's outrageous how much they are milking it. I had to smile when I read that the viewing figures are already falling back. What did they expect when the BBC became marginalised in it's coverage?

The same will happen to Moto GP after this year.

Enjoy it while you can. F1 will go into decline in years to come. The sponsors will find something else to put their names on.

Don't be so daft Sky is doing what it does, its a sports channel and they are bundle it with the rest of them, I was shocked they they put it on with the Hd pack to start with.

Shout and moan about Sky as much as you want be remember they did not cause this. The BBC approached them and gave it to them on a plate.

Sky has a responsibility to its share holders to provide profit not give channels away. Sky Is a business and is doing what's in those interests.

The BBC screwed us not Sky.

Il be honest and say that i am surprised they have put it with the hd package for so long aswell but I think it was asking a lot for a fan of f1 to pay the £22.50 for a few channels they may have no interest in just for the enjoyment of watching a Grand Prix on the weekend, far better to offer the f1 channel as a single channel at say £10.00 a month extra (like the football teams have there own channels at extra cost) this way they wouldn't lose the f1 fans that would be willing to pay slightly more (I know I would be happy with this), maybe they could bundle it with the sports aswell so that you have the choice wether you want those extra channels at the extra cost.
They have there own ideas though and we either accept that or don't watch it anymore!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 pm 

Dr664 wrote:
hundleton1 wrote:
sixwheeler wrote:
Dr664 wrote:

It's outrageous how much they are milking it. I had to smile when I read that the viewing figures are already falling back. What did they expect when the BBC became marginalised in it's coverage?

Enjoy it while you can. F1 will go into decline in years to come. The sponsors will find something else to put their names on.

Don't be so daft Sky is doing what it does, its a sports channel and they are bundle it with the rest of them, I was shocked they they put it on with the Hd pack to start with.

Shout and moan about Sky as much as you want be remember they did not cause this. The BBC approached them and gave it to them on a plate.

Sky has a responsibility to its share holders to provide profit not give channels away. Sky Is a business and is doing what's in those interests.

Il be honest and say that i am surprised they have put it with the hd package for so long aswell but I think it was asking a lot for a fan of f1 to pay the £22.50 for a few channels they may have no interest in just for the enjoyment of watching a Grand Prix on the weekend, far better to offer the f1 channel as a single channel at say £10.00 a month extra (like the football teams have there own channels at extra cost) this way they wouldn't lose the f1 fans that would be willing to pay slightly more (I know I would be happy with this), maybe they could bundle it with the sports aswell so that you have the choice wether you want those extra channels at the extra cost.
They have there own ideas though and we either accept that or don't watch it anymore!

Yes some football teams have their own channel but it doesn't show any love league or cup games, they don't hold the rights to show these but only to show them on delayed transmission (pretty much what you have with the BBC an F1!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm 

watching the highlight shows on the BBC is not the same as a live race and having to spend the whole day avoiding results is a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Yet again Sky are pushing out an entire generation of fans. Many of us students cannot afford to get Sky, simple as that. My loan covers food and essential bills. That's it. I've been writing race reviews and various other articles for well over 2 years now, but suddenly according to Sky I'm not a true fan because my bank balance doesn't add up? Disgusting.

Come on most students (not saying you or all) easily p!ss away £40+ on drink every month!

Must admit I do spend at least £90 a month on Drink, however I still live at home so I have the perks of bank of mum and dad paying for sky. But saying that we had Sky before it had F1. And to be honest for what you get on there, a good amount of channels with plenty on isn't bad for what you pay, plus Sky are usually open to negotiating in some way or another.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 pm 

Dr664 wrote:
hundleton1 wrote:
sixwheeler wrote:
Dr664 wrote:

Yes some football teams have their own channel but it doesn't show any love league or cup games, they don't hold the rights to show these but only to show them on delayed transmission (pretty much what you have with the BBC an F1!)

Yeah I understand that they are not live games being shown but what I mean is they have the option to offer a single channel at a set price, that way fans are not swindled into paying for content they don't want!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:

Nor is the last one.

A friend of mine has got sky hardware and it is absolute rubbish. e.g. a wireless router that has a range limited to barely 10 metres, and they refuse to change it. They are the only provider that will not permit the use of 3rd party hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Why the obvious resentment? I choose to pay for Sky so I can see every race live, you don't. There's no need to hate me (and many others) for making that choice.

No resentment towards you. If you want to pour your money into Murdoch's pocket, that's up to you. And if you do that you're absolutely entitled to top class service.

My resentment is the fact that not so long ago, everything was on the BBC and I didn't have to pay extra for it above the licence fee. Now we have all this faffing around for half the races. Of all the people I know, quite a reasonable proportion of which are interested in motor racing, not a single one has paid to watch F1 on Sky. I concede that's probably not the norm, but it's definitely got to be holding the viewing figures back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:28 pm 

Johnston wrote:
sixwheeler wrote:

Not only did the BBC coverage maximise the viewing figures in the UK, but it gave rise to better penetration worldwide, and the quality of coverage was never better than in those few years. I'd wager that the overall reduction in viewing figures is down to the reduced BBC coverage more than any other cause.

How did it get better penetration worldwide? The audiences that use the BBC feed outside of the UK are unaffected. BBC are still doing a full live show for them. Worldwide was not affected by the deal. That's why I think the set up is so daft. I'm in the UK, pay a licence fee but I can only get full BBC broadcast by paying an Irish provider.

As for the UK being the culprit for the reduction in figures. China dropped by 25mill viewers, UK by something like 4mill. So no the BBC/SKY deal is not the culprit.

Well, you learn something new every day. I've got contacts in the business in Australia and the Far East, and they've told me something slightly different. I need to enquire further about that obviously. In the meantime, the current mood at the BBC seems to be that it's more trouble than it's worth, and Bernie et al seem indifferent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

No resentment towards you. If you want to pour your money into Murdoch's pocket, that's up to you. And if you do that you're absolutely entitled to top class service.

My resentment is the fact that not so long ago, everything was on the BBC and I didn't have to pay extra for it above the licence fee. Now we have all this faffing around for half the races. Of all the people I know, quite a reasonable proportion of which are interested in motor racing, not a single one has paid to watch F1 on Sky. I concede that's probably not the norm, but it's definitely got to be holding the viewing figures back.

Thing is a sports popularity seems to increase when given the "sky treatment" Cricket and football are both examples of this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:08 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Johnston wrote:
sixwheeler wrote:

Well, you learn something new every day. I've got contacts in the business in Australia and the Far East, and they've told me something slightly different. I need to enquire further about that obviously. In the meantime, the current mood at the BBC seems to be that it's more trouble than it's worth, and Bernie et al seem indifferent.

Well I dunno I've been told the Worldwide feed has been much unaffected and that by buying setanta Ireland through my SKY Box I can get a full live BBC feed . Which is taking the gherkin a bit I thought all things considered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm 

Tufty wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Most, yeah. Not me. Don't drink, and wouldn't have the money anyway. Otherwise I'd just cut back and get Sky.

Oh the drama!

A certain proportion of young people won't be able to watch all of the races live for a three year period of their lives? Oh lord no, how will F1 continue?!

Yes, your loan covers food and essential bills. It is not intended to fund expensive sports channels. If you want something you can't afford, do like the rest of the world and get a job.

Not trying to be a dick but that attitude gives students a bad name.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

You say its only for three years, but it is unlikely that in 3 years a terrestrial or free to air channel will be able to compete with Sky unless the commercial rights holder decides to drop the price to encourage free to air channels to bid. We all know how likely that is...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 pm 

Seanie wrote:
You say its only for three years, but it is unlikely that in 3 years a terrestrial or free to air channel will be able to compete with Sky unless the commercial rights holder decides to drop the price to encourage free to air channels to bid. We all know how likely that is...

I think he means three years during Uni and then they can pay for sky when they get a job

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 pm 

Seanie wrote:

I think he means three years during Uni and then they can pay for sky when they get a job

Ah yes, silly me...! :o

Its 5 more years till the rights are up for negotiation again isn't it.... Oh :( :frown:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 pm 

tomjleeds wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Oh the drama!

A certain proportion of young people won't be able to watch all of the races live for a three year period of their lives? Oh lord no, how will F1 continue?!

Yes, your loan covers food and essential bills. It is not intended to fund expensive sports channels. If you want something you can't afford, do like the rest of the world and get a job.

I think you've massively missed the points being made there.

Firstly, the poster was pointing out that Sky increasing their prices is generally likely to exclude those who cannot afford it. Included in that varied group of people are students. It was not being suggested that anyone should consider students charity cases. Excluding people at a point in their life at which they cannot afford or justify the cost of F1 is likely to have future ramifications for the sport. Whether that is significant or not is debatable.

Secondly, supposedly Sky have been running adverts that state that one is not a real fan of F1 if one does not have Sky. I have to confess that I have not seen these adverts myself. These adverts, if they exist, have quite rightly been deemed pretty insulting by those who cannot justify the Sky subscription (again, not just limited to students).

Raising these points certainly didn't necessitate a response as economical with manners as yours. And his or her student loan is there to do whatever he or she wants to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm 

I've got the channel and I've watched it extensively but not once have I seen an advert that stated if you don't have the channel you're not a true fan

And I don't believe there's ever been one, sky are not stupid and wouldn't make an advert like that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:46 pm 

Living alone, I can't necessarily justify a Sky subscription to myself.

NowTV will be launching their sports channels soon (I'm on a trial beta) - but at £9.99 for a '24 hour pass', would you pay that every week to watch a race?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 pm 

Just a point on "rip off Sky" there margin is 18%, average customer spend is £548 so that's a profit of £98.64 a year or £8 a month.

Its not like they are make massive amounts and By halving there profits would not really make a diferance.

In fact they were running at a loss for a long time when it started up and Murdoc bet everything on the football. Plowed all the money into that and in the end I paid off.

Sky is a business and 18% is a reasonble profit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am 

hundleton1 wrote:
Just a point on "rip off Sky" there margin is 18%, average customer spend is £548 so that's a profit of £98.64 a year or £8 a month.

Its not like they are make massive amounts and By halving there profits would not really make a diferance.

In fact they were running at a loss for a long time when it started up and Murdoc bet everything on the football. Plowed all the money into that and in the end I paid off.

Sky is a business and 18% is a reasonble profit.

They say in business any return greater than you'd get at a bank is worth it. 18% will probably shock a lot of Skyhaters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am 

Seanie wrote:
Seanie wrote:

Ah yes, silly me...! :o

Its 5 more years till the rights are up for negotiation again isn't it.... Oh :( :frown:

Not 100% but don't the Beeb also have first dibs on it too?

So they could once again buy it to job share with SKY .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 am 

fieldstvl wrote:
tomjleeds wrote:
Tufty wrote:
Tufty wrote:

Oh the drama!

I think you've massively missed the points being made there.

Firstly, the poster was pointing out that Sky increasing their prices is generally likely to exclude those who cannot afford it. Included in that varied group of people are students. It was not being suggested that anyone should consider students charity cases. Excluding people at a point in their life at which they cannot afford or justify the cost of F1 is likely to have future ramifications for the sport. Whether that is significant or not is debatable.

Secondly, supposedly Sky have been running adverts that state that one is not a real fan of F1 if one does not have Sky. I have to confess that I have not seen these adverts myself. These adverts, if they exist, have quite rightly been deemed pretty insulting by those who cannot justify the Sky subscription (again, not just limited to students).

Raising these points certainly didn't necessitate a response as economical with manners as yours. And his or her student loan is there to do whatever he or she wants to do with it.

I don't think I've missed them at all, I've responded to them directly. What you mean is, "I disagree with the points you made" - this is very different.

Prices increased, prices already too high, it's irrelevant. Yes, some people are now unable to afford it. This sucks and has to be a negative for F1, but in economic terms is probably not a disaster. The only people who will be put off completely (i.e. won't just resort to watching the Beeb) are those who are sickened by the raw commercialism of it all...but aren't those people sickened by the raw commercialism of F1 itself? :?

Either way students are not completely excluded, they can watch most of it on the Beeb (admittedly not ideal) or they can find a friend with Sky, or a pub showing the race, or get a stream online, or something. It's not that difficult.

Of course they can spend their student loan on whatever they like - if they want to eat value beans on toast all year in order to scrape together a Sky subscription, that's fine by me. I sympathise with anyone who doesn't have the cash to fund a subscription, but that sympathy is limited when it comes to those who complain about not being able to afford it because their student loan doesn't cover it.

As for the adverts, anyone offended by them is a fool. Oh no, the Murdoch empire says I'm "not a true fan" unless I pay them lots of money...this is the oldest trick in the book!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am 

Honestly, if anybody has a problem with it, then just don't buy it and torrent it or stream it and get on with your life, those are both easy to do. That being said you guys are lucky to have that kind of F1 coverage, I pay a lot of money for my HD sports channels and the closest thing I get to an F1 channel is Speed, and even that is turning into an all sports channel as well.

And to whoever was complaining it's too expensive cause their a student, well guess what? YOU'RE A STUDENT, What the hell else do you expect? You go to school so you can get a good job to afford that fairy cakes. Be like every other student on the planet and download or stream it.

I WISH i had that kind of F1 coverage here, I would gladly pay for that, but that will never happen. So appreciate what you have because it could be a lot worse. You could be paying more or less the same amount of money over here for a channel like Speed HD instead of Sky F1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:45 am 

Maky wrote:
I get free F1 and other sports in my country...well not free but the package is so cheap compared to UK : D...sad for the UK fans : (

The quality of Sky coverage rivals the likes of Speed's NASCAR coverage, I really don't understand how people expect it to be cheap in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:04 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
Malkiiin wrote:

Nor is the last one.

A friend of mine has got sky hardware and it is absolute rubbish. e.g. a wireless router that has a range limited to barely 10 metres, and they refuse to change it. They are the only provider that will not permit the use of 3rd party hardware.

I think everyone is being a bit nitpicky are they not? Sky are the ones with the exclusive rights to ALL 20 Races Live. My point was, if you want to watch the entire seasons races LIVE - you require a Sky subscription. Personally - I hate watching race 'highlights'.

And my last comment is true, in my case. I cant comment on the Broadband service they provide, but when I lived at home and my parents used Sky Broadband, we used our own Router?
When it comes to the Television service and the boxes they provide, apart from a couple of faults (which you would expect from any piece of Hardware), its faultless (has been for me). Its quick, simple and easy to use. Not to mention convenient..