planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 pm 

So I was watching one of the like 10000000000000 Rocky movies this morning and I noticed a certain similarity between Stallone's character and Muhammad Ali. Then the F1 portion of my brain kicks in and compares Ayrton Senna to Muhammad Ali as both were representative of a certain population which they were trying to help.
Another one of my serious beliefs is that Ayrton Senna was not meant to walk away from the sport. I hate to say it but I think he was meant to go how he did in order to create this belief of how good he was and of course the influence that has had on safety.
Then you have Ali who mirrors this with his injuries sustained in the ring which went on to really affect his health.
I see 2 influencial, smart sportsmen who could have done anything.
After pointing out some of these similarities I wanted to know what you think of this comparison and what both athletes could have done...
EDIT : I said "had they lived on" my deepest apologies ALI is still alive and I have deleted that.

Last edited by emb1496 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:28 pm 

that reminds me ! 4:20 passed me by, im slacking today ...i better get the kettle on and re-read this :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm 

I'm not sure where i see the similarity in respect to Senna came from a priveledged background whereas Ali clearly didn't.

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 1st

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:46 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
emb1496 wrote:
So I was watching one of the like 10000000000000 Rocky movies this morning and I noticed a certain similarity between Stallone's character and Muhammad Ali. Then the F1 portion of my brain kicks in and compares Ayrton Senna to Muhammad Ali as both were representative of a certain population which they were trying to help.
Another one of my serious beliefs is that Ayrton Senna was not meant to walk away from the sport. I hate to say it but I think he was meant to go how he did in order to create this belief of how good he was and of course the influence that has had on safety.
Then you have Ali who mirrors this with his injuries sustained in the ring which went on to really affect his health.
I see 2 influencial, smart sportsmen who could have done anything if they had lived on.
After pointing out some of these similarities I wanted to know what you think of this comparison and what both athletes could have done had the lived on...

What do you mean, "he was meant to go how he did"?

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm 

I mean in terms of what they did for both their sport and their people and what they could have done. Ali became a leader of the civil rights movement and Senna helped Brasil to be less of a third world area. Also I am pretty sure that even though it was not privileged Ali did not grow up in poverty if I remember correctly but I am going to double check... According to wikipedia his father painted billboards and signs and he had a stay at home mother. It doesn't say if he was particularly poor or rich so draw your own conclusions from that...
EDIT : I said "had they lived on" my deepest apologies ALI is still alive and I have deleted that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 pm 

Balibari wrote:
emb1496 wrote:
I see 2 influencial, smart sportsmen who could have done anything if they had lived on.
After pointing out some of these similarities I wanted to know what you think of this comparison and what both athletes could have done had the lived on...

What do you mean, "he was meant to go how he did"?

I mean that he unfortunately became a martyr through his death but looking at what he had done I don't believe that he was meant to walk away from F1...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:27 pm 

emb1496 wrote:

Rocky isn't Ali - Rocky was based on a boxer called Chuck Wepner...

...ironically, the basis for the Rocky story was Wepner's fight against Mohammed Ali which Wepner almost took the full distance...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:37 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
emb1496 wrote:

Rocky isn't Ali - Rocky was based on a boxer called Chuck Wepner...

...ironically, the basis for the Rocky story was Wepner's fight against Mohammed Ali which Wepner almost took the full distance...

:D :D :D

no there's a great 30 for 30 about that but I mean in terms of in the movie he seemed to be emulating Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm 

Your last sentences.

Had they lived on?

Ali is still alive. Unless I got something wrong here...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

SchumieRules wrote:
Your last sentences.

Had they lived on?

No that was a huge mistake on my part I corrected it 30 sec after when I realized what I had posted!!!
EDIT : I just realized I had edited the wrong post. Wow I am stupid. I fixed the right post now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:06 pm 

emb1496 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Your last sentences.

Had they lived on?

No that was a huge mistake on my part I corrected it 30 sec after when I realized what I had posted!!!
EDIT : I just realized I had edited the wrong post. Wow I am stupid. I fixed the right post now.

Don't be hard on yourself, it's cool

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:07 pm 

Oh, it still says "if they have lived on" just above your corrected sentence!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:23 am 

I am almost certain Apollo Creed was based on Mohammad Ali -- fighting style, dancing destroyer (Apollo), light as a butterfly, stings like a bee Ali). Rocky is basically a bum with a cast iron jaw, as Mickey says, who with sheer determination (and lots of luck but this is underplayed in the movies) managed to become world champion. Rocky does not have the skill or the grace of Apollo Creed, but he can take his punches and he has a great heart.

So I don't see any parallels with Senna, who was one of the most gifted racing drivers and certainly was not a bum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

FrusEldar wrote:
I am almost certain Apollo Creed was based on Mohammad Ali -- fighting style, dancing destroyer (Apollo), light as a butterfly, stings like a bee Ali). Rocky is basically a bum with a cast iron jaw, as Mickey says, who with sheer determination (and lots of luck but this is underplayed in the movies) managed to become world champion. Rocky does not have the skill or the grace of Apollo Creed, but he can take his punches and he has a great heart.

So I don't see any parallels with Senna, who was one of the most gifted racing drivers and certainly was not a bum.

Looking back at it, it was one scene in one of the newer movies that reminded me and to see it you cannot take it that literally. It wasnt the series it was one scene so you cant really look at it like that. I guess you just have to look at that one scene.