planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm 

With still no announcement on their 2nd driver. It got me thinking that Force India might complete as a 1 car/driver team this season.

Having watch F1 since the mid 70's, 1 car teams were quite common in the 70's/80's. One such team was the Coloni team (very small private Italian team) from the late 80's early 90's. Some seasons they completed with 1 car/driver and other seasons with 2 cars/drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:45 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm 

Are they allowed to run one car only? I'd guess the rules state each team must run two.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:46 pm 

Why on earth would they do that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:51 pm 

No way in hell. They'll sacrifice two, maybe three places in the WCC by not having a second car and only collecting half the potential amount of points.

Not to mention they'll still have the cost of running two cars, as they'll still have mechanics to run a second car.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm 

They are not in that bad a state as people think they are. Im sure they will announce the 2nd before or during the next test session after Barcelona. If you ask me Id say its Sutil that will be driving as they said before they wanted to keep Bianchi for another year as a test driver. I guess they are just giving Sutil time to get upto speed. May be if he doesnt they may afterall give the drive to Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm 

They are not in that bad a state as people think they are. Im sure they will announce the 2nd before or during the next test session after Barcelona. If you ask me Id say its Sutil that will be driving as they said before they wanted to keep Bianchi for another year as a test driver. I guess they are just giving Sutil time to get upto speed. May be if he doesnt they may afterall give the drive to Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:55 pm 

You can't run just one car. The FIA doesn't allow it. Has to be two or nothing at all.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
Saorsa wrote:
With still no announcement on their 2nd driver. It got me thinking that Force India might complete as a 1 car/driver team this season.

Having watch F1 since the mid 70's, 1 car teams were quite common in the 70's/80's. One such team was the Coloni team (very small private Italian team) from the late 80's early 90's. Some seasons they completed with 1 car/driver and other seasons with 2 cars/drivers.

As Laura say's, it's no longer allowed. Andrea Moda thought they had a way around it when they only wanted to run their pay driver. They signed a proper driver and brought a second car (that wasn't in a state where it could qualify) to races. The FIA weren't having it.

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm 

Remember its twice the advertising space too, twice the PR etc. Anyway with so many good drivers without drives for this year they have some good options on the table. Let them take their time, I say.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm 

My thoughts exactly.

"Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far they can go."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:10 am 

No that would be like having a car DNF every race :P...big loss in the constructors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 am 

Maybe they'll have guest drivers.. Sell the seat short term to drivers for big bucks! This will raise media coverage as they interview the incoming driver every few races

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:38 am 

They can have Sutil drive as single car with numbber 00 (Dick Dastardly).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:57 am 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Maybe they'll have guest drivers.. Sell the seat short term to drivers for big bucks! This will raise media coverage as they interview the incoming driver every few races

I'm almost certain this has been outlawed. Back in the day Williams did that a lot didn't they. Only a certain few(3?) amount may be on the roster per team per season.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 pm 

From the FIA F1 Sporting Regulations 2012:

19) CHANGES OF DRIVER

19.1 a) During a season each team will be permitted to use four drivers. Changes may be made at any time before the start of the qualifying practice session provided any change proposed after 16.00 on the day of scrutineering receives the consent of the stewards.
Additional changes for reasons of force majeure will be considered separately.
Any new driver may score points in the Championship.

b) In addition to the above each team will be permitted to run additional drivers during P1 and P2 provided :
i) The stewards are informed which cars and drivers each team intends to use in each session before the end of initial scrutineering, changes after this time may only be made with the consent of the stewards.
ii) No more than two drivers are used in any one session.
iii) They carry the race number of the nominated driver they replace.
iv) They use the engine and tyres which are allocated to the nominated driver.
v) They are in possession of a Super Licence.

c) If one of the team’s nominated drivers is unable to drive at some stage after the end of initial scrutineering, and the stewards consent to a change of driver, the replacement driver must use the engine, gearbox and tyres which were allocated to the original driver (see Articles 25.4, 28.4 and 28.6).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 am 

Even if the regulations allowed them to, why would they? Besides, if all that has been said about their decision this year being related to their 2014 engine supplier is true, then I suppose that probably explains a lot of why it isn't a decision they've rushed into.

Besides, imagine having to send Paul dull Resta on all your team's PR responsibilities...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 am 

Why would they? With so many drivers knocking at the door they could get someone for free. Look at 2011 after Perez crashed at Monaco, Sauber just walked up to De La Rosa on the day, after kicking him out the year before, and he took the seat. Fair enough they were different circumstances, but they will get another driver, you can count on it.

VI LXXVII XIV X
gif from reddit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 am 

Hell no! I reckon if they still have not found there 2nd driver by Oz they'l slap Vijay Mallya in the car!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am 

I dont see how any team could afford to run just one car. Half the sponsorship exposure, half the points and money for them etc. Even if they just run a pay driver and tell him to tool around showing the car, they will have what ever the driver contributes and still show off the livery.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 am 

Nah Sutil will get the other seat.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:51 pm 

Tough luck for Bianchi getting his shot at the seat on a rainy day...granted, he did some work for the team, but his performance cannot be objectively compared to Sutil's dry racing. Or, at least, them team would have to work for a delta time which implies more variables...anyway, the ran played into Sutil's advantage, methinks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm 

Maky wrote:
SilverstoneRegular wrote:

I'm almost certain this has been outlawed. Back in the day Williams did that a lot didn't they. Only a certain few(3?) amount may be on the roster per team per season.

A team is allowed a maximum of 4 drivers per season, but they can use them in any a mount of pairing combinations they want.
HRT was the last to hit the maximum in 2010 when Senna, Chandhok, Yamamoto and Klien had the privilege to drive for them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 am 

To be honest, this is getting real silly with Force India. We are so close to the opening race venue, yet they still hold back from publicly announcing the second driver to team with Paul Di Resta ... not impressed.

All the best,
Spinx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm 

So decision FINALLY MADE!!! .. Adiran Sutil gets back in the cockpit of Force India, alongside Paul Di Resta.

It should be a very interesting season this year!! ... wonder if any of the top teams can now challenge Red Bull on a regular basis?

All the best,
Spinx