planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:11 pm 

Hey all. Can't wait for the new season to get underway.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the teams go about testing the aero benefits of a coanda exhaust? As far as I know all the teams use scaled down wind tunnels to test the aero on new components, but obviously no team is building scaled down engine and exhaust systems to run in the wind tunnel. How are they testing this?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm 

CFD.

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:25 pm 

CFD and in testing they are using sensors. Those frame like things with array of straw like sensors attached to them gives them idea where exhaust gases are going.
Most teams will carry multiple versions of exhaust configs based on CFD. And then test it in testing using combination of those sensors and flow vis.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:32 pm 

funkymonkey wrote:
CFD and in testing they are using sensors. Those frame like things with array of straw like sensors attached to them gives them idea where exhaust gases are going.
Most teams will carry multiple versions of exhaust configs based on CFD. And then test it in testing using combination of those sensors and flow vis.
Did I just miss it, or has flow vis not yet been used in Jerez or Barcelona this year?

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

Fiki wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:
Did I just miss it, or has flow vis not yet been used in Jerez or Barcelona this year?

Has been used extensively actually. There are few shots of them. There were few from FI yesterday as well. Seen couple of shots of Ferrari with flow vis in Jerez. And I am sure every team has used it.
I guess, teams when running flow vis, directly pull car in the pit and pull curtains so other teams cant see it in testing. And it means we get fewer pics as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:43 pm 

I'll run over the pictures again. Thanks FM.

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm 

Here is one image I had saved from yesterday.There are more on that German website link posted in pictures thread. Check Sutil article from that website.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 pm 

matt8 wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the teams go about testing the aero benefits of a coanda exhaust? As far as I know all the teams use scaled down wind tunnels to test the aero on new components, but obviously no team is building scaled down engine and exhaust systems to run in the wind tunnel. How are they testing this?

I don't know, but if I were in charge of a wind tunnel for a F1 team I'd arrange for a hot air blowing machine to 'exactly' replicate the engine exhaust fumes. I'd expect my boss to fire me on the spot if I didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:42 pm 

matt8 wrote:

Aren't they?

You don't need a scaled down engine to produce 'exhaust gas'; you can just pipe a blower into the model. Also, a lot of wind tunnel models (not necessarily F1 though) use scaled engines with moving belts and that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:02 pm 

taken from grandprix.com:

Quote:
Wind tunnel models incorporate small, ejector-type, air driven pumps that simulate the air flow into the ram intake and augment it as the exhaust flow. The effect of throttle-open and -closed can be tested and the changes in downforce and, more importantly the centre of pressure, can be measured. In recent years, the effect of the exhaust on the centre of pressure, and its variation with throttle opening have led to the true, blown diffuser being abandoned, and exhausts exits moved to blowing over the top of the lower body rear edge. In this position, they probably did more to increase the radiator air exit flow than influence the underbody flow.

http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00360.html

Article is from 2000 though. I'm sure things have developed significantly since then.

It does seem it is difficult to simulate exhaust given how Red Bull and Ferrari struggled to get it right in the early part of last season. Mclaren did get it right whilst Mercedes and Lotus went with solutions that were already tried and tested pre-2010.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:47 pm 

You can be sure that if we've thought about replicating exhaust flows on wind tunnel models, the teams will have too...