planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC

Which of the following engine manufacturers' would be your desired choice?
BMW 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
Cosworth 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Ford 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Ferrari 18%  18%  [ 21 ]
Honda 21%  21%  [ 24 ]
Mercedes-Benz 30%  30%  [ 34 ]
Renault 14%  14%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 114
 Post subject: F1 Engines
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 am 

Vote in the poll for your desired engine choice. I am aware not all manufacturer's are stated but I listed the main ones who have all won titles.

They are the hearts of chassis.

What are you favourite engines? From which year?

Also, what are your views from the change of engine regulations in the Formula next year?
I am sad to wave the V8 powerpacks goodbye this year. However I am looking forward to these Turbo's in 2014.

Post subject: Re: F1 Engines
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am 

I voted Honda, mainly because my memories of it are Senna/McLaren not terrible livery works cars.

Was a good time :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 am 

As far as the available choices I went with Ford, but if an American company was to make an F1 plant I would think it'd be Chevy.

But since Fiat owns Chrysler now maybe a customer team could re-brand the Ferrari engine as Dodge like Red Bull is doing calling their Renault engine as Infinity. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
I voted Honda, mainly because my memories of it are Senna/McLaren not terrible livery works cars.

Was a good time :)

I chose Ferrari, but it would be a tough choice if I'd had to pick a second, between Honda and Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
As far as the available choices I went with Ford, but if an American company was to make an F1 plant I would think it'd be Chevy.

But since Fiat owns Chrysler now maybe a customer team could re-brand the Ferrari engine as Dodge like Red Bull is doing calling their Renault engine as Infinity. ;)

Really? I wasn't aware they had called it Infinity.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:26 am 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Really? I wasn't aware they had called it Infinity.

Unless things have changed they haven't. When they got the Infiniti sponsorshop Horner went to great lengths to say they would not be rebranding the engines. However, they are technically braking the rules on sponsorship by putting the Infiniti logo at the front of the car rather than the Renault - but then Lotus were first to break that rule during the Lotus vs Lotus handbag fight and the FIA let it go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:49 am 

I am looking forward to the turbos in 2014. These V8s are great, love the sound, but we know exactly what these sound like so although I always love listening to the current engines I am looking forward to a new sound in 2014.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:06 am 

I voted for Cosworth. With 176 win it is one of the most successful engine to have Powered some of the early f1 cars. But yea unfortunately they are selling the business. Hope whoever buys it revives it. I want to see the old glory days of Cosworth built by Keith Duckworth back.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:20 am 

Ferrari engines right now, can't remember the last time one failed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 am 

Honda for reliability :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 am 

Alfa Romeo, If not Porsche, if not i'll settle for a Honda :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 am 

I still associate BMW as a very powerful engine since at one point of the V10 era, it was the most powerful engine.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:48 am 

The Ford Double Four Valve.
How can anything else come close to it? EVER!

I have a soft spot for Honda too. They were triers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:30 am 

FormulaFun wrote:

2010 Malaysian GP with Alonso I think, well I remember that there was a lot of smoke pouring out the back of it :-P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 pm 

Gaz wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

2010 Malaysian GP with Alonso I think, well I remember that there was a lot of smoke pouring out the back of it :-P

Two years without breaking down isn't bad though...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:35 pm 

Mercedes for me :) Should've been Honda but they've been out of the game for too long now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 pm 

Renault. They say F1 wouldn't be the same without Ferrari but I find it hard to imagine F1 without Renault engines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

moby wrote:
The Ford Double Four Valve.
How can anything else come close to it? EVER!

I have a soft spot for Honda too. They were triers.

This video seems to sum that up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cAsouky1Nc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:38 pm 

Nothing for the available choices. I would choose Climax as my prefer engine provider.

No only is it a great name for an engine it was also the enigne used by Jim Clark's Lotus in his winning championships years of 63 & 65.

Other option would the TAG turbos used in the 80's by McLaren.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:37 pm 

Would not have any basis for my engine selection, other than the fact that Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari are at the top now.
BMW built great engines for Williams and then themslves 2000-2009.

Good topic by the OP; the engine is a piece of equipment that is almost completely ignored in modern F1. Pity the manufacturers do not get more publicity; it is more difficult to design/build engines than the rest of the car: so few engine manufacturers vs chassis /car manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm 

Yeah, well, honestly with the engine freeze there's not much new to talk about, since the engine is ~95% the same 2009 onwards...the only things changing being oils and engine mapping (sometimes) and similar tangential effects...what could we discuss about the new and innovative ...I don't know... hydrostatic liquid oxygen valves of the engines? what new valves?

Now, if they would allow yearly development, that would give us (and the world) something to talk about day in day out. The way we talk about the turbo V6 ...and so far we've only seen some lousy computer-generated photos of them.

Back to the vote, I went with Honda, due to the Senna days. Although Renault deserves a big mention too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:41 pm 

Voted BMW, mainly because they were around when I started following F1 closely. The Kubica + BMW-Sauber combo was who I cheered for back then.

IMO, in hindsight Williams should have never let BMW go.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Gaz wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

Ferrari employed former designer from Toyota. Toyota engines were known for being bulletproof and now they same person is responsible for Ferrari engines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 am 

dizlexik wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Gaz wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

Ferrari employed former designer from Toyota. Toyota engines were known for being bulletproof and now they same person is responsible for Ferrari engines.

That's Japanese engineering for you. Come to think of it I can't remember when I've ever seen a road Toyota break down.

Personally, that's what makes the Ferrari my current engine of choice. This year, and probably the next few years, reliability was/will be the name of the game across the board, so a healthy engine is an indispensable advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 am 

I had a very hard time deciding. Almost all of those manufacturers have had their day in the sun. I almost voted for Ford, especially with Alan Mullaly as CEO. But in the end I picked Ferrari-- I think its the best current engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Gaz wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

That's Japanese engineering for you. Come to think of it I can't remember when I've ever seen a road Toyota break down.

Personally, that's what makes the Ferrari my current engine of choice. This year, and probably the next few years, reliability was/will be the name of the game across the board, so a healthy engine is an indispensable advantage.

Correct, you cannot beat Japanese engineering in terms of reliability. Especially with one of the guys from Toyota looking over.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

My previous-previous company car was a Toyota Avensis. Over the course of 2 years, I've had:
- a broken turbo hose (don't know if that is a correct name) - caused a big power loss and a ridiculous amount of smoke when I gassed it
- broken airconditioning
- broken speaker
- clutch gone

Not all that bad but it has been one of the lesser reliable cars I've had.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 pm 

Quite simply, a Ferrari engine. It's entered every F1 GP to have ever run. Says a lot.

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:12 pm 

Kushal Msc-3 wrote:
Quite simply, a Ferrari engine. It's entered every F1 GP to have ever run. Says a lot.

And Trigger used the same broom for 17 years, he maintained it using 25 new brushes and 22 new handles.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:50 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Kushal Msc-3 wrote:

And Trigger used the same broom for 17 years, he maintained it using 25 new brushes and 22 new handles.

quite an iconic broom i must say

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm 

mds wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

My previous-previous company car was a Toyota Avensis. Over the course of 2 years, I've had:
- a broken turbo hose (don't know if that is a correct name) - caused a big power loss and a ridiculous amount of smoke when I gassed it
- broken airconditioning
- broken speaker
- clutch gone

I bought an X reg Celica just before Christmas and was talking to the dealer about this, so take the advice with a pinch of salt to account for his bias. He said the Toyotas made before 2005(ish) had the famous bulletproof reliability of which you speak. After that they're only about as good as any other car, which may explain your Avensis.

Maybe they put their good engineers into their F1 program and the road cars suffered as a result?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm 

Volantary wrote:
mds wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

- broken airconditioning
- broken speaker
- clutch gone

I bought an X reg Celica just before Christmas and was talking to the dealer about this, so take the advice with a pinch of salt to account for his bias. He said the Toyotas made before 2005(ish) had the famous bulletproof reliability of which you speak. After that they're only about as good as any other car, which may explain your Avensis.

Maybe they put their good engineers into their F1 program and the road cars suffered as a result?

maybe they employed the old Rover staff xD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:36 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
Volantary wrote:
mds wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

- broken airconditioning
- broken speaker
- clutch gone

I dont think its that Toyota and Mazda have lost anything, but that other cars have become just as good.
The only one that may have lost out is Nissan, as Renault took them over and their reputation is now shot due to poor electrics

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
moby wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:
Volantary wrote:
mds wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

- broken airconditioning
- broken speaker
- clutch gone

I dont think its that Toyota and Mazda have lost anything, but that other cars have become just as good.
The only one that may have lost out is Nissan, as Renault took them over and their reputation is now shot due to poor electrics

I don't know, didn't the Toyota president issue a properly humiliating statement after that run of recalls they had recently(ish). I'm sure he said something about how they'd expanded too quickly in recent years and allowed standards to slip.

of Alice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 pm 

POBRatings wrote:
Would not have any basis for my engine selection, other than the fact that Renault, Mercedes and Ferrari are at the top now.
BMW built great engines for Williams and then themslves 2000-2009.

cough* Brabham *cough
Without them Nelson Piquet would have never won two of his 3 WDCs. The other came from Honda power. In fact, he never won the most GPs in each of his WDC years, just had reliable cars that got him to the end and occasionally he won.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 pm 

I would want to see Cosworth come back with a developed engine and I wish they did have more money. Many people forget that they did have the most powerful engine in 2006 in that Williams and the packaging on it was fantastic. It was just fragile as all hell, but I still wonder what happened after the RPM freeze. It seemed like Cosworth lost all momentum. The engine had about 850-860 in qualy trim... If I'm not mistaken.

I want to say Ferrari because I know this season they really did work on the packaging this year. Judging by the tight packaging of of the Sauber and Ferrari this year. It would be nice to say better late than never.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 pm 

I voted for BMW. Despite their modest F1 record, I have this feeling in my bones that under a suitable engineer, matching car design and funds to go with it, the BMW can be a front ranking F1 engine.

Likewise, I feel that the great success of Renault engines in F1 is due largely to them suiting Newey's innovative designs more than any other make.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:21 pm 

...Toyota...

Maria de Villota

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm 

The best name for an engine has to go to Megatron