planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:28 pm 

Did anyone just see that crash on espn?

last lap mayhem after a red flag caused by another crash.

restart with 2 laps left, they took the white flag, then as they were crossing the finish line absolute mayhem broke out, with a car flipping into the catch fencing which sheared of the front end sending the engine through.

I really hope everyone in the crowd is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:33 pm 

warning do not watch if you are of a nervous disposition

Spoiler: show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHRCeUcDL4

Last edited by rife_hypocricy on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:36 pm 

reports say some fans being treated with minor injuries,don't think anything serious happened thankfully...wouldn't be a good way to start the season with a disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:42 pm 

Nasty!

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 pm 

tyre went high up into the crowd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 pm 

Hope the drivers too are fine... I read Earnhardt Jr started the crash. Dont really follow NASCAR. Dont the car have like a builtin fire extinguisher or a cutoff switch Or something... That fire was pretty big.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Hope the drivers too are fine... I read Earnhardt Jr started the crash. Dont really follow NASCAR. Dont the car have like a builtin fire extinguisher or a cutoff switch Or something... That fire was pretty big.

Regan Smith blocked Brad Keselowski coming to the checker for the win and essentially spun himself during the block as he came across B.Ks nose. Dale Jr was several cars behind the beginning of the wreck. I dont know what "big" fire youre referring to but the cars do have fire extinguishers in the cockpit but that doesnt mean fires cant still happen elsewhere on the car. Its just to prevent certain fires inside the car for driver protection.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 pm 

rife_hypocricy wrote:

unfortunately looks like some people got hurt, according latest news

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:57 pm 

Oh ok, no big fire then... Guess I saw some other pics then.... but this one pic i saw, it looked like the fuel tank was on fire... Has that happened recently??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm 

Haribo wrote:
rife_hypocricy wrote:

unfortunately looks like some people got hurt, according latest news

I hope everyone is ok, that could have been a lot worse, with the state of Larson's car the engine was so close to going into the crowd.

looks like 8-10 people are hurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm 

one of the cars from the crash...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm 

I just saw a tire from another angle. We hope is not serieous.

I still remember this crash from Stan Fox in 1995 Indy 500. It was his final race of his career.
http://www.kwikwap.co.za/jodyr/gallery/images515978.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 pm 

Some graphic photos here, including the injured fans. http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/dayto ... q/#3139121

Watched it live, got that awful Las Vegas speedway type feeling again. I've been a Brad Keselowski fan for all of 6 days and I was in absolute panic mode. You see a car get air and your stomach just drops. Gave another nod upstairs to Prof Sid when all the drivers climbed out of what was left of their machines.

Thoughts with everyone involved obviously. Gotta put more work into the wheel tethers and catch fence technology.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 pm 

Placid wrote:
I just saw a tire from another angle. We hope is not serieous.

this...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 pm 

15 taken to hospital...one with serious head injuries :( hope they get better soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm 

From the pit lane. http://youtu.be/0bKuUqKMo8w

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm 

Hoping for the best for all those injured.

They're saying 20'-25' of catch fence, wall, and safer barrier was taken out. I wonder what the inspection procedures are in place to make sure the repairs are effective enough for the Cup race tomorrow when the cars are going even faster.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:56 pm 

you can see Larson's car get squeezed between a car in the wall and one on the outside which flipped him in the air,
really scary end with the fires too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm 

That's some serious karma at work. Kyle rather rudely punted another driver off the makeshift short track the other night to take the win, a lotttttt of people had words about that.

Glad the 500 narrative is no longer all about Danica but this is soooooo not a good alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

This is what they have at COTA http://youtu.be/WMaykUKLejA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:

They're saying 20'-25' of catch fence, wall, and safer barrier was taken out. I wonder what the inspection procedures are in place to make sure the repairs are effective enough for the Cup race tomorrow when the cars are going even faster.

Repairs?!?!?! - They won't repair it... They'll replace it. It's done it's job and some and will be beyond repair. Chuck in a new fence in it's place and check that is ready to go...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:19 pm 

Gothalamide wrote:
RaggedMan wrote:

Repairs?!?!?! - They won't repair it... They'll replace it. It's done it's job and some and will be beyond repair. Chuck in a new fence in it's place and check that is ready to go...

Looks like they have done the job already...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:

They will literally rebuild what was damaged. its all designed to be rebuild in a hasty manner.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm 

They are cutting away the damaged parts, welding stuff, and preparing to put a new section isn. Watching it live on Speed right now. Impressive crew they have there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:19 am 

Damn ! did you see that wheel with all the suspension parts on the stands ? Watching Speed TV right now .. 15 people are in hospital ( one child )

This is engine with suspension still on fire ! The other wheel is on the stands ! CRAZY ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:49 am 

frame by frame http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-ns/pho ... ry/?r=6322

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 am 

It's insane the amount of damage done, and more so that the barrier wasn't sufficient for the purpose.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am 

Tufty wrote:
It's insane the amount of damage done, and more so that the barrier wasn't sufficient for the purpose.

I think the damage to Larson's car is mainly due to the fence failing on impact. The rest of the cars don't look too badly damaged (at least not any more than they do in your average mass car pileup).

Jenna Fryer mentioned that the car hit the fence where there was a door, and so it was slightly structurally weaker at that point. Makes sense I suppose. The fence didn't fail massively, just enough to make it more dangerous. The whole car could have gone through the fence if it wasn't as strong as it is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:37 am 

Watch it now before NA$CAR gets all photos and videos taken down.

http://youtu.be/LPp33gUvFQU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:41 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

they wont. Original was already taken down. This is reupload. Lot of media hounded NASCAR for taking down original upload. From their reply to that, it does not look like they will be taking it down again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:04 am 

Ridiculous scene. You'd think that after something like that, the series would really look at how they run the show. Images like these aren't all that uncommon in the sport.

Unfortunately I think that it'll be overlooked because,

a) The fans enjoyed it, even if there were some minor injuries to the crowd, and
b) It was at the end of the race, so it'll be dismissed as being unlikely to happen again/didn't have a major bearing on the event.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:25 am 

All of the catch fencing over the years and those seats are going to have to be moved back on the restrictor plate tracks in Daytona and Talledega. All I have to say is even though I was not able to see the whole entire race, but NASCAR has changed so dramatically over the past decade, heck the past five years.

If anyone remembers so many who have died over the years with Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty dying in 2000 at New Hampshire, Dale Earnhardt Sr. in 2001, Geoff Bodine's insane wreck the same year, and so many noteable accidents that happened and I thank God the wreck did not end any lives.

28 were injured. 14 were cared on track, 14 at the hospital, and now there was an update about 2 people in critical condition being upgraded to "Stable", so the situation is improving for those who were hurt. Still, the presidents/track officals need to consider moving those seats back.

The race will continue as scheduled, unless track repairs are not completed.

We ALL love you Schumi! Don't ever give up!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:30 am 

The fence did its job. It kept the CAR on the track. Sure, parts flew into the crowd but it could of been massively worse had Larson ended up in the crowd we would of seen multiple deaths.

As someone who watches dirt short track racing and multiple sprint cars flipping through the fence and everything is okay is a testament to how good safety has become.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 am 

Very very lucky indeed that wheel with suspension parts attached landing high up in the grandstand didn't kill anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 am 

huggybear wrote:
Tufty wrote:

I think the damage to Larson's car is mainly due to the fence failing on impact. The rest of the cars don't look too badly damaged (at least not any more than they do in your average mass car pileup).

Jenna Fryer mentioned that the car hit the fence where there was a door, and so it was slightly structurally weaker at that point. Makes sense I suppose. The fence didn't fail massively, just enough to make it more dangerous. The whole car could have gone through the fence if it wasn't as strong as it is.

It was the fence rather than the cars I was alluding to - the cars are supposed to disintegrate same as F1 cars, so I'm fine with that. The fact that the fence had a weak point with no secondary, stronger [IE no door] layer behind it, and evidently wasn't high enough, is what worries me. This could all too easily have been a repeat of Le Mans '55.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 am 

28 people injured...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21563340

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:45 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Remembering what happened to Henry Surtees and few years back, that's scary. Very lucky no one in the crowd was killed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 am 

I hope that everyone will regain full health.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:23 pm 

bballr4567 wrote:
The fence did its job. It kept the CAR on the track. Sure, parts flew into the crowd but it could of been massively worse had Larson ended up in the crowd we would of seen multiple deaths.

As someone who watches dirt short track racing and multiple sprint cars flipping through the fence and everything is okay is a testament to how good safety has become.

That is a very wrong way to look at safety.
Every time there is an injury due to things like this, they must have mentality to acknowledge that they need to do more than what is done currently.

I am not saying they should have done better job, but now they need to at least react to what has happened and look at improving fence and modify seating arrangements for better safety.
Just saying it is one of those things and letting it go is not the way to react to things like this.
Fence did not do its job as well as it should have done. They might not have anticipated this, but now they need to take this into consideration and come up with better solution. This is track racing, safety is not a set goal, at least it should not be. It should always be progressive goal, getting better, over time and not stopping at being good enough.
F1 is as safe as it is today because even today they do not take safety as granted, neither they stay still. Tracks still get modified even to this date, barriers are continuously redesigned to make them safer. Sometimes at the cost of seating capacity.
Same approach needs to be taken by NASCAR and even Indy.

Spectator getting injured is the worst blotch on any track racing series and track. We cannot foresee everything, but at least we can react. All I want is that they have another look at fencing and come up with something better even if it means somewhat loss of revenue or increase in expense.