Williams 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Torro Rosso 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Force India 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Caterham 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Marussia 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject: Biggest Leap Forward?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 am 

Which team do you think will make the biggest leap forward in the 2013 season?

Last edited by DisaterX47 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 pm 

The STR of 2012 was fairly quick, but unfortunately had a very narrow operating window. Apparently they've now got a very workable car, so I'm hoping for a big step from them. Whether or not it'll push them further up the grid is another matter.

Lotus seem to have developed a nice little car, though they'll want to iron out those reliability issues before Melbourne.

It's my personal belief that McLaren have the best all-round car at the moment, but I'm not sure if it's much of a 'leap' from where they were in 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:32 pm 

I don't think they'll be a leap this year. The time for leaps will be next year, if ever

VI LXXVII XIV X
gif from reddit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm 

First of all i have to say that STR is not an option on the poll.

About the poll i have to agree with Toby about STR because they look like they are in the mix with the midfielders like Sauber, Force India, Williams and Mercedes (yes i said it!!). In my opinion Mercedes is a Midfield team since 2012 that has the luck and the money to afford 2 great fast and experienced drivers.

The only other team that seems to have made such a leap is Lotus. Despite the ground they lost from the top 3 at the second half of the season, not only the are mixing it with the top 3 but it looks like they might have an advantage over them at the start of the season.

Of course that's only an opinion and when teams go to Melbourne can easily prove me wrong, but that's my conclusion from what i have seen, heard and read during the testing season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 pm 

I voted for Sauber, but with no basis. Pure guesswork.
Imo Red Bull, McLaren were at the top in 2012, so I can't see them improving hugely. Ferrari were very close.
Mercedes should/would have to make the biggest leap, for their brand name and their new driver.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm 

Mercedes, Lotus or Sauber.

Mclaren and RBR as said are already the best as well as Ferrari.

Pure guesswork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm 

Voted Williams because I think they will score a lot more points not be any faster I expect STR to fight more in the midfield as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:16 pm 

I dont know if its gonna be a "Leap" but more like a few steps forwards. But I do have a feeling Sauber and Lotus would. Mercs... Im not too sure, they have been known to throw in the towel if things dont work out so I'll reserve my opinion on them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:33 pm 

I really hope Williams, last year they should have done a lot better in both championships but because of drivers constantly crashing so comment is probably hoping that the car has improved as well as the drivers, I hope Bottas does well as well :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 am 

In terms of time or WCC position/points?

In terms of WCC points, I suspect it to be Mercedes. In terms of time from the front runners, possibly Ferrari as that was a long way back by the end of last year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:59 am 

In order of from biggest to smallest leap. Mercedes>>>Williams>>>Sauber>>>Lotus

I put Lotus last, because I don't think the car has to make so much of a leap because for the most part it was solid Top 4 runner last year, but Grosjean as a driver made them look worse. When he kept out of trouble he kept up with Kimi IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 am 

I voted Williams only because i am absolutely amazed at the rear packaging of the car and how tight thye got it. lol. So in short, i dont have a real reason i voted for them. lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 am 

DisaterX47 wrote:
Which team do you think will make the biggest leap forward in the 2013 season?

Since the rules havent changed much this year and most of the cars are previous years evolution, I hardly think any one would make big leaps. A step forward yes, but no leaps. Unless Marussia start winning races then that would be the biggest leap forward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:41 am 

I've voted for McLaren because I think they have the biggest CHANCE at a leap. As far as I know they're the only team that has introduced an entirely new car this season, other teams have gone with an evolution of last years car. So a brand new car has the ability to be more different than a refinement of last years car. Which is a double edged sword, especially as last years car was the fastest car overall in the second half of the year. The high chassis has the capability to surpass last years low chassis especially in a development race as it will come down to aero and the higher car simply has more air to work with. At the same time it's a pretty risky move as their whole design philosophy will have changed, who's to say they haven't made a mess of it? Probably not likely to have as they're a big well funded and successful team... But we'll so is Ferrari and we all know how they started off last year.

Conclusion... The bigger the change, the bigger the chance of a significant change in pace, for better or worst.

Championship Standing: 11th

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 am 

Blackhander wrote:
I've voted for McLaren because I think they have the biggest CHANCE at a leap. As far as I know they're the only team that has introduced an entirely new car this season, other teams have gone with an evolution of last years car. So a brand new car has the ability to be more different than a refinement of last years car. Which is a double edged sword, especially as last years car was the fastest car overall in the second half of the year. The high chassis has the capability to surpass last years low chassis especially in a development race as it will come down to aero and the higher car simply has more air to work with. At the same time it's a pretty risky move as their whole design philosophy will have changed, who's to say they haven't made a mess of it? Probably not likely to have as they're a big well funded and successful team... But we'll so is Ferrari and we all know how they started off last year.

Conclusion... The bigger the change, the bigger the chance of a significant change in pace, for better or worst.

I agree with you on the mechanical side, however, I don't think they have a strong driver line up, especially in qualifying which is where they will most likely be compromised for the race.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 am 

Yeah I agree completely with that too. I think they have the ability to move forward purely by the car... But looking at the team as a whole, I just don't see it happening. If any team does make a leap I hope that it's the Torro Rosso, if they have designed the car to allow a wider operating range like they say and everything works as planned there's a chance. Good results for Ricciardo and we might see him move up to RBR seat next year. As an Aussie it's probably the best case scenario (unless webber hangs in longer that is)

Championship Standing: 11th

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm 

I went for Mercedes, their times from testing look positive. Certainly a step forward and Rosberg is less worried about the longer runs. Hopefully they can make things more difficult for Red Bull.