Senna 13%  13%  [ 21 ]
Glock 8%  8%  [ 13 ]
Kovalainen 22%  22%  [ 35 ]
Petrov 13%  13%  [ 21 ]
De La Rosa 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Karthikeyan 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 158
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am 

Out of the 2012 drivers who did not get a seat for this year, which one do you think deserves a second chance?

Last edited by DisaterX47 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 pm 

Cruel of you to insist on just one vote!
I'd like to have Schumacher back, and Petrov.
From some back imo the biggest loss was Piquet jnr.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 pm 

Narain Karthikeyan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm 

BlueSharky wrote:
Narain Karthikeyan.

I know your trying to be funny, but I think he could easily become a World Champion if he had a half decent car.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:20 pm 

Why would I try being funny? I'm a fellow Indian, rooting for an Indian driver.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:31 pm 

Didnt we have a similar poll sometime back? But anyways... Ive been his critics during his dominant years and when he came back he did look like a bird whose wings were clipped. I would love to to have Schumacher back

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

I would like the same, people were way to harsh on him, if the Mercedes was a little quicker, I think he would of easily won some races

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 pm 

BlueSharky wrote:
Narain Karthikeyan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:41 pm 

None.

Schumacher had his second chance in 2010 and the rest have all been given a second or even third chance at some point as well anyway. All blew it.

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:42 pm 

Suprised that people rate Kobayashi higher than Kovalainen. I know Heikki blew it at Macca but I get the feeling he really has upped his game since.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
BlueSharky wrote:
Narain Karthikeyan.

I'll assume this was the 'just what i was thinking' .gif.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
None.

Schumacher had his second chance in 2010 and the rest have all been given a second or even third chance at some point as well anyway. All blew it.

With the exception of Kobayashi that is.
I'd like to see what he and Algy could do still.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm 

Lentulus wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
None.

They aren't in the OPs poll.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm 

phyz wrote:
Suprised that people rate Kobayashi higher than Kovalainen. I know Heikki blew it at Macca but I get the feeling he really has upped his game since.

I think Petrov showed that not to be the case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:25 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Lentulus wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
None.

They aren't in the OPs poll.

Algy isn't, but that doesn't change the fact that I'd like to see what he can do in a different environment to STR.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm 

Toby. wrote:
fieldstvl wrote:
BlueSharky wrote:
Narain Karthikeyan.

I'll assume this was the 'just what i was thinking' .gif.

;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:33 pm 

A second chance is just one way of putting it; strictly speaking, Senna had a second chance. But I doubt he had a team working around him that sought to bring out the best in him. A second chance in that sense is something I believe would yield results.
Kobayashi and Karthikeyan also deserve such an opportunity in my opinion.

Schumacher has had his chance, and we should not forget that it was he, not his team, who failed to sign on the dotted line by the critical date. So does he deserve a fifth chance? No.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:44 pm 

Lentulus wrote:
phyz wrote:

I think Petrov showed that not to be the case.

It could also be that Petrov upped his game too. Who knows?
Somehow i feel that people are just exaggerate saying Petrov put Kovi's head down to his foot.

Quali Kovi 13-7 Petrov, Kovi 7-10 Petrov when both finish but Kovi involved in several incidents i.e spin, puncture.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:59 pm 

None. I am happy with having new blood.

But the best of them is Heikki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:25 pm 

None of those really stand out as having anything 'special', or leave F1 with any sense of un-finished business.

Schumacher certainly had nothing to prove and the others never really showed any 'World Class' pedigree. Koby was occassionally exciting but too inconsistent and the others listed had been around long enough to show some promise but didn't deliver IMO.

I'd like to see Alguersuari given another chance. To be on the F1 scrapheap at such a young age seems unfair, especially after having a decent 2nd half of the 2011 season.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm 

Kobayashi and Kovi would improve the depth of talent in the field and I think if seats were picked purely on ability they would be there. Same aplies to Algy and Sutil.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:37 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
None.

Granted he made a few mistakes. But I wouldnt say Michael blew it. It was more like the team blew it for him....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am 

this is exactly why there is no real talent in f1 any more ppl like you hang on to the past and thus it hogs it up and no young driver can get in

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 am 

GODISMYCOPILOT wrote:
this is exactly why there is no real talent in f1 any more ppl like you hang on to the past and thus it hogs it up and no young driver can get in

Not sure if serious...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
GODISMYCOPILOT wrote:

Not sure if serious...

:thumbup: Agreed Laura. Getting back to who I voted for, it was Kovalainan. Michael has already had his comeback, Kobayashi excited me in his first year but didn't continue to do so after that - I don't know why, maybe he got a lecture after his first year to calm down - I don't know. Senna, apart from his name & sponsorship money, I don't really think he added anything exciting to F1 that was above any other driver that was new to F1, anyway. Yes, he wasn't bad but he wasn't brilliant either. PDR, great test driver & I am glad that he is now at Ferrari but, F1 driver, I don't think so.

Anyway, the list is so long I can't remember who else was on the list. I voted Kovalainan because I think he was hard done by at McLaren plus he was unfortunate to be teamed with a freak talent such as Hamilton. After that, I think he has done rather well in a back marker team. He has been consistently good with, even Martin Brundle, saying he was amazed that Kovalainan was in the position he was. Sure, he is not an Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel or Kimi but I think, given the right circumstances, could be a Button or Webber :D .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:45 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Kobayashi and Kovi would improve the depth of talent in the field and I think if seats were picked purely on ability they would be there. Same aplies to Algy and Sutil.

I tend to agree. Kobayashi because he's a reasonable racer, but it's also a big asset to F1 to have a competitive Japanese driver in the field.

With Kovalainen, his time at McClaren didn't particularly shine apart from the one win, but there was a strong contrast between his driving style and that of his team mate which seems to have put him at a slight disadvantage for various reasons. Since he left he did work pretty hard and was consistently the better of the drivers bringing up the rear.

I was watching what was going on there, and I thought Button was going to be in trouble when he replaced him, because they are a lot closer in style that either are to Hamilton. But then it turned out that Kovalainen was actually wearing his tyres more and losing time by being less aggressive, and they'd figured that out by the time Button joined. Although I did wonder last year whether Buttons lean patch compared to Hamilton might be due to similar problems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm 

Fiki wrote:
A second chance is just one way of putting it; strictly speaking, Senna had a second chance. But I doubt he had a team working around him that sought to bring out the best in him. A second chance in that sense is something I believe would yield results.

Soooooooo this! :thumbup:

Senna is a driver who began on a dismal team where there was little to no chance of shining EVER. What with ALL the musical chairs played with drivers on that team. Then he found himself out and then given a shot in a Renault that wasn't quite competitive yet and with no prior testing. Considering the latter, not too shabby I'd say. Then off to Williams only to be paired up with a Cash Cow who's cash provider insists their man get all the best and STILL the guy holds his own. I don't know too many people in all those scenarios to have done as well as he did and on top of that, he never whined about it. just put his head down and got on with the program. I'm not saying he IS a driver of supreme talent, but one can't deny that with the cards ALWAYS stacked against him, he was intelligent enough and good enough to keep from fading away to the tail end of the field.

Bruno Senna all the way on this one for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am 

I voted for Koby & second would have been Kovy! ... seems like a no-brainer to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 am 

Voted for Heikki. He did a tremendous job at Caterham.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:14 pm 

I went with Kobayashi and Senna.

Kovalainen...eeeh, sure, a lot can be said in his favor, but let's not forget he's been in F1 since 2007, he had 6 full seasons, 4 of which in more-than-decent machinery (Renault and Macca). By comparison, Senna's had a lot less, and still everybody's slating him...

As for Khartikeyan, providing the TATA money will hold, we might still get him back. If he managed a return once, after he'd been 4 (6) years out of the game - depending if you count the test pilot years or not - then we might still see him back in a Marussia or Caterham, if their finances will really go hairy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:16 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
I went with Kobayashi and Senna.

Kovalainen...eeeh, sure, a lot can be said in his favor, but let's not forget he's been in F1 since 2007, he had 6 full seasons, 4 of which in more-than-decent machinery (Renault and Macca).

Three seasons in fact: Renault 2007, Mclaren 2008 & 2009.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 pm 

Oops...sorry, I counted also 2006, when he was only a tester for Renault.
One might say that he's also a victim of present day economics - with so many pay (and relatively competitive ) drivers, and with a a downward career and results, there's not really much room anymore for guys to grow old . Heildfeld sensed it, Barrichello sensed it, Fisichella sensed it (and I suppose the next one will be Massa, unless he doesn't shine this year).

In the past, one driver passed his peak could easily stay in a back-marker and driver around for many years to come (see Roberto Moreno, Pierluigi Martini, Andrea de Cesaris and even Jarno Trulli...and so on and so forth) because there was no new blood competition and, on the other hand, experience was valued more. Nowadays, not so much... maybe the last remaining such driver was Pedro de la Rosa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:47 pm 

the incubus wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Soooooooo this! :thumbup:

Senna is a driver who began on a dismal team where there was little to no chance of shining EVER. What with ALL the musical chairs played with drivers on that team. Then he found himself out and then given a shot in a Renault that wasn't quite competitive yet and with no prior testing. Considering the latter, not too shabby I'd say. Then off to Williams only to be paired up with a Cash Cow who's cash provider insists their man get all the best and STILL the guy holds his own. I don't know too many people in all those scenarios to have done as well as he did and on top of that, he never whined about it. just put his head down and got on with the program. I'm not saying he IS a driver of supreme talent, but one can't deny that with the cards ALWAYS stacked against him, he was intelligent enough and good enough to keep from fading away to the tail end of the field.

Bruno Senna all the way on this one for me.

Damn right, If it was my team, and my money/decision; Senna for me!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:23 am 

No Heidfeld option!? Just kidding; I know the topic said 2012 drivers.

It's hard to judge Kovalainen in Caterham but if you rate him highly, then you must also rate Petrov similarly high, and maybe even a little higher. Petrov actually beat Kovalainen in the standings, courtesy of his 11th place finish.

Here's how they stack up:
Venue - Who Placed Higher (Difference in Positions)
Australian - both retired
Malaysian - Petrov (2)
Chinese - Petrov (5)
Bahrain - Petrov (1)
Spanish - Kovalainen (1)
Monaco - Kovalainen (13 vs DNF)
Canadian - Kovalainen (1)
European - Petrov (1)
British - Kovalainen (17 vs DNS)
German - Petrov (3)
Hungarian - Kovalainen (2)
Belgian - Petrov (3)
Italian - Kovalainen (1)
Singapore - Kovalainen (4)
Japanese - Kovalainen (2)
Korean - Petrov (1)
Indian - Kovalainen (1)
Abu Dhabi - Petrov (2)
United States - Petrov (1)
Brazilian - Petrov (3)

Final: Petrov (10) to Kovalainen (9)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:06 am 

I made a similar thread a while ago but with a larger choice of drivers.
I think I will only miss Kobayashi but to say he deserves another chance I dunno he wasn't that great. Still I would prefer him over Sutil.

I know he only drove one race in 2012 but Jerome D'Ambrosio isn't on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:35 pm 

None from that list imo.

Kobayashi - Had 3 full seasons in a midfield car and failed to impress much. Sorry but one podium late last season and a few banzai passes are good but not good enough, too many better drivers out there. I think Kova or Glock would have done a way better job in that Sauber than both Perez and Kamui tbh.

Schumacher - Don't know why he's even on this list tbh, I don't even think he wants to race anymore. His second chance was in 2010.

Senna - I agree that he never got a fair shot at F1, but thats the way it goes sometimes. He had a very good opportunity to make a name for himself in that Williams but he was mostly anonymous

Glock - He sealed his own fate by signing with Virgin/Marussia, I thought he was a good driver in his Toyota years but for the past few seasons it's been too hard to tell.

Kovalainen - His second chance has been at Caterham, although his career was over as soon as he got the boot from Mclaren in my eyes.

Petrov - Fast, but not consistent enough. There are too many other drivers that are better.

De La Rosa - He was a great asset to HRT, but I don't see how he deserves a second chance in a race seat.

Karthikeyan - Lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:28 pm 

Kamui and Vitaly get my votes. A podium in a midfield team is a for sure stick around card. I mean look at Sergio and Grosjean. Podium means your close and Kamui and Vitaly were close. :-((