planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:41 am 

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130224/F1/130229884

Quote:
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed that he is in talks about holding a Grand Prix in Mexico City in 2014.
The race would take place at Mexico City’s Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez which last hosted an F1 race in 1992 and needs a multi-million dollar upgrade in order to do so again.

The Mexican Grand Prix was expected to return to the F1 calendar in 2006 at a street circuit just south of the international airport in the beach resort of Cancun. The race did not take place and, since then, there have been widespread rumors about when and where it would return. Ecclestone has stayed quiet about the rumors but has now revealed that Mexico City is in pole position to become the new home of the Mexican Grand Prix.

“Mexico City is a better place to hold the race than Cancun,” he said. “In more or less any city around the world you could ask people ‘where is Mexico City?’ and they would say Mexico. If you said to somebody where is Cancun they would say ‘I don’t know.’”

However, Ecclestone also revealed how close Cancun came to staging the Mexican Grand Prix. “We were going to do a race in Cancun. We had a contract but they couldn’t get the permission they wanted,” he said.

After the Grand Prix in 1992, international racing did not return to Mexico City until 2002 when the Champ Car series held a round of its schedule at the track there.

The Champ Car race was a big success and regularly drew crowds of more than 300,000 over the race weekend.

F1’s renewed interest in Mexico has been driven by the success of home driver Sergio Perez, who narrowly missed out on victory for Sauber in the Malaysian and Italian Grands Prix last year. Perez’s chances of success have accelerated this year as he has joined the front-running McLaren team while another Mexican, Esteban Gutierrez, takes his place at Sauber.

Unlike the plans for Cancun, the Mexico City project has a true “dream team” behind it. It appears the three key players are Alejandro Soberon, Tavo Hellmund and Carlos Slim Domit. Soberon is the chief executive of CIE and Hellmund is well-known in F1 circles for being the creator and mastermind of the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas, which last year hosted the U.S. Grand Prix after a five year hiatus. Slim Domit is the son of the world’s richest man, Carlos Slim, and bankrolled both Perez and Gutierrez for many years to get them into F1.

Slim Domit has an additional link to F1 as he sits on the FIA Senate, the decision-making body of motor racing’s governing body the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile.

The race is likely to be paired on the F1 calendar with the U.S. Grand Prix, since Austin is one of the closest major cities to the border with Mexico. Organizers claimed that last year’s U.S. Grand Prix attracted a crowd of 265,499 over the race weekend. Ecclestone said, “I should think that half the people that went to Austin were Mexican. There is absolutely a lot of potential in Mexico.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

With Russia and Mexico joining in 2014 we will have 21 races??? Sweet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:06 pm 

I suspect 20 if Korea disappears (as looks likely).

I fear the Rodriguez circuit will be butchered for this to happen. Not just Peraltada either, a number of the Esses would need to be tightened.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm 

We've had Redbull Ring and Istanbul apply for a place this year. You never know Istanbul might make another pitch next year with proper funds in place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

If they change Peraltada then it's a waste of time...such a brilliant circuit as it is though. It would make for wonderful racing, and the new turbos wouldn't suffer a bit at that altitude ;)

- 2014 Championship leader (post-Austria)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 pm 

Sounds great. I was skeptical about Mexico a few months ago, but I'm now a believer. May take my wife if (when) it happens.

What I don't believe is that half of the Austin GP attendees were Mexican. I was there, and I know I'm no human super computer, but I really doubt half of the crowd was Mexican.

There is an upper crust in Mexico that can afford F1.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:15 pm 

A nation that's far more worthy of a Grand Prix than the likes of India or Bahrain.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
A nation that's far more worthy of a Grand Prix than the likes of India or Bahrain.

Agreed in full.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 pm 

Would be good to see a Sombrero as the podium hat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:53 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:

Because?

"The star is ours."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:03 am 

Guia wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Because?

Yea. Why?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:11 am 

Heritage?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 am 

Id welcome a return to Mexico.

i would also welcome a return to Argentina.
So the 'Americas' have 5 races per season - Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, USA, Canada.
Asia - 5 (Japan, Signapore, India, Malaysia, Korea)

need races in Africa and Australia and the rest europe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:25 am 

Senor_Coconut wrote:
Heritage?

You think Bernie is playing the "Heritage" card for bringing Mexico back? The reason he is going there is because of Perez and the audience he will get.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Guia wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Because?

Yea. Why?

Because Mexico has a past history of hosting Formula One. There have been many races in Mexico starting back in 1962. Sure, they haven't been there since 1992 but there have been drivers from Mexico in and around those times.

Bernie needs to stop going to these third world countries just because some rich dude can flash a few dolloars around. One, it isn't safe there. There are drug cartels there that would love to see some new money coming in. Two, the infrastucture is poor in and around Mexico City. Now, if it were held on one of the coast it might be better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Guia wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:

Because?

Yea. Why?

Mexico has supported IndayCar racing since F1 left. It is popular and draws a crowd.

Is racing popular in Bahrain? Or do rich oil sheiks want to aggrandize themselves?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:56 pm 

@SteveC: You should stop your imagination from clouding your judgement. You talk like as if the country is run by CartelS And your country is free of all these vices. Secondly, you mention India and Bahrain as "3rd world countries". LOL. Im afraid you are wrong Coz they are not. Both India and Bahrain are doing much better than most of the European countries. Also if you say F1 should go to places that have heritage then let me remind you that Heritage doesnt come overnight. Someone nees to start it and build it. That is what these countries and many more are doing. That is how Frace did it anf that is how Britain did it. It

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm 

Race2win wrote:
@SteveC: You should stop your imagination from clouding your judgement. You talk like as if the country is run by CartelS And your country is free of all these vices. Secondly, you mention India and Bahrain as "3rd world countries". LOL. Im afraid you are wrong Coz they are not. Both India and Bahrain are doing much better than most of the European countries. Also if you say F1 should go to places that have heritage then let me remind you that Heritage doesnt come overnight. Someone nees to start it and build it. That is what these countries and many more are doing. That is how Frace did it anf that is how Britain did it. It

OK, I meant no disrespect towards anyone with the third world comment but Bernie is going to these places only because of real fast money.

Mexico is a wonderful place to vistit, been there many times myself, but the drug cartels are taking over and the local police can't do anything about it. Sure the Government is trying but there is a lot of corruption going on. It is not a safe place.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm 

@Steve: F1 is first and foremost a business. So as a CEO Bernie has a job to spread it to a wider audience. So there is nothing wrong in exploring new territories which may or maynot have had prior F1 history. Unless an effort is made to introduce the sport in new countries you wont have so many fan and so many people aspiring to be in F1. Secondly talking about corruption, its everywhere. Its something that cannot and will not go away. Take Italy, Corruption there too is very high. Berlusconi himself has gone on record to say "Giving bribes is not wrong if you want to get a job done". Best part, many parts of Italy are still controlled by the Mafia. But do we hear anyone saying its unsafe, lets not go racing there? Nope. Politics and sport shouldnt mix.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:01 pm 

Race2win wrote:
@Steve: F1 is first and foremost a business. So as a CEO Bernie has a job to spread it to a wider audience. So there is nothing wrong in exploring new territories which may or maynot have had prior F1 history. Unless an effort is made to introduce the sport in new countries you wont have so many fan and so many people aspiring to be in F1. Secondly talking about corruption, its everywhere. Its something that cannot and will not go away. Take Italy, Corruption there too is very high. Berlusconi himself has gone on record to say "Giving bribes is not wrong if you want to get a job done". Best part, many parts of Italy are still controlled by the Mafia. But do we hear anyone saying its unsafe, lets not go racing there? Nope. Politics and sport shouldnt mix.

OK, I was going to continue on with this debate but this sin't the place. I agree that F1 is a business, a big business and as such should take care of its fans (the ones paying the high prices). I would rather have a race in Mexico, mainly because it's another race in my timezone (BTW, I'll get up at any time to watch F1), than in India or S. Korea. I'll leave it at that.

Hell, I'd like to see more than 20 races but I know it isn't possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 pm 

I dont get the point of your last message. Are you saying F1 should be only in America or Europe because its a "More manageble" timezone for the fans like you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm 

I actually don't like races in my timezone because they come on at 2:00 PM. Would rather wake up early and watch the European races.

But Mexico does have an allure all its own. The world got its chilli peppers from that area of the world. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm 

Mexico City seems the most likely of recent rumors. Hopefully the track will make for good racing, especially on TV.

Interesting thing for me, is where things stand with New Jersey (my gut instinct is that is going to fade away from discussion in the immediate future with the other issues New York/New Jersey have after Sandy) and Bernie also seemed very keen on Thailand for 2014. Those would put it at 23 possible races for the 2014 calender so obviously some are going to have to go.

Unfortunately, I'm worried that Germany and Spa could be end up among the ones to go away. Korea would seem to be the only one of the 'new market' ones might go away since there was talk this past year about whether the losses were acceptable, and honestly, I wonder about its prospects of turning attendance around to make it profitable. If not then I'd guess Hungary gets the boot.

Beyond that, most of the others seems incredibly safe IMO regardless of what the attendance has been. F1 is committed to India, China isn't going to lose face by giving up on its race, and Bahrain will be there as long as some Sheik, or Sheiks will write the checks. And Turkey could be back with its 30-40k attendance if someone will write the check.

The upside for me is if they do drop some of the European GPs in order to add/keep the recent or proposed additions, it'll save me some money as the sites I'd like to attend for a race in the future dwindle.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:13 pm 

I would go to a race in Mexico except I don't want to be murdered.

Not said in jest.

Mexico has horrendous problems with violence and kidnappings right now. I sometimes forget that the rest of the world might not hear about it as much we here in Texas do.

Aside from that....I can't imagine the logic in having FOUR races in North America in one year. That's insane.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm 

Sutton wrote:

So the 'Americas' have 5 races per season - Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, USA, Canada.

It wouldn't surprise me if 2014 is the last time F1 races in Montreal,the improvements Bernie is demanding to the track would cost anywhere between 40-80 million dollars (according to local newspapers),there's no way the city or the province would spend that kind of cash to save the race

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:08 pm 

Race2win wrote:
I dont get the point of your last message. Are you saying F1 should be only in America or Europe because its a "More manageble" timezone for the fans like you?

I have no problem what so ever getting up at the crack of dawn to watch my favorite sport. If it's too early then I DVR it :D I wake up early anyway to go to Church so I love the morning central timezone races.

No, I meant it as more of a way to get North American viewers is to have more timezone races.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:22 pm 

jchouston wrote:

Not said in jest.

Mexico has horrendous problems with violence and kidnappings right now. I sometimes forget that the rest of the world might not hear about it as much we here in Texas do.

Its not like the whole country is a murder happy place. Unless your looking for adventure in hotspots then its your problem. If you stick to the right places you nobodies gonna come after you. So before you go ask your travel advisor to suggest good places. Im sure you'll be pleasently surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 pm 

jchouston wrote:
Not said in jest.
Aside from that....I can't imagine the logic in having FOUR races in North America in one year. That's insane.

Just hope they don't have a race in Chicago or New York. In 2012 there were 499 and 414 murders there. ;)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/2 ... 78073.html

I agree with some here, Bernie treats F1 like a traveling circus that's available to any highest bidder, with zero consideration given to automotive heritage or tradition. It's a cash cow ... nothing more.
It wouldn't surprise me if he dropped Germany for North Korea next year as well, if the price was right.

Ecclestone said, “I should think that half the people that went to Austin were Mexican. There is absolutely a lot of potential in Mexico.”

Maybe Mexican Americans ... Birnie :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 pm 

Mexico City is safer than people think, in fact, in this article it mentions Mexico City has a murder rate of 8 per 100,000: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-ro ... 74546.html

I live in Monterrey (one of the most affected cities by the drug-related violence) and I can say that 95% of the kills have been people that were into the drug cartels, the rest were soldiers, cops or, the less, innocent people. It's obviously not a good situation, but in general we live our lives normally, we're just more cautious.

Here a good video from Sports Illustrated where some high school football players talks about my city: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHBHs73zJzM

And about Mexico City, I would be more worried about being mugged than being killed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:24 pm 

As long as they don't give any of the classic circuits the chop, can't be a bad thing.

Can imagine a carnival atmosphere at a Mexican GP.

2013: 12th
2014: 38th

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:48 pm 

jchouston wrote:

Not said in jest.

Appreciate that you hear more about Mexico than we do. I last worked in Mexico City on a project in early 2009. Mexico is dangerous but I do believe the violence is concentrated in border cities, although some did occur in Monterrey. This violence is mostly drug trafficking related. The USA war on drugs is a utter failure and brings prohibition-era style profits to smugglers-- when you offer high profits there are many takers. But as you know, the US government knows best-- don't cut their funding or "the world will end".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:53 pm 

I bet Mexico GP would attract more spectators than for example the nearly empty stands of Bahrain or Korea. I just hope they will host it on a purpose built race track like Autódromo Hermanos Rodriguez as mentioned, rather than plan some street course in a haste.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:27 pm 

Sutton wrote:

So you're suggesting we ditch Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and China at the same time? They're all in Asia. I'd think get rid of Korea and Bahrain.

While I'd love to see 25 races a year, it won't happen. They're be too much burnout. My fear is those classic races in Germany and Belgium would be under threat. Strange how Alonso comes onto the scene and Bernie can't wait to add another race in Spain. Perez and Gutierrez arrive and we're Mexico bound. Vettel's a three time WDC and Mercedes are investing heavily to win it seems and they could be waving goodbye to a home GP?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm 

There are so many great tracks around the world but its unsubstainable for F1 to have more tha 20. Probably Korea is the only one likley to go anytime soon although maybe thereare doubts about Nurburging and Australia as well. Probably the only way to go is to alternate more, F1 needs the classic tracks but it needs the money tracks as well so somethings gotta give. As for Mexico, I love the track but hope they dont ruin it like they did in Austria particularly and can see it getting big crowds with the Perez/Gutierrez situation. Carlos Slim will contribute a bit of money you ould guess so I can see it going ahead possibly as a replacemenr for New Jersey which just dosn't look ready.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:28 pm 

TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:
There are so many great tracks around the world but its unsubstainable for F1 to have more tha 20. Probably Korea is the only one likley to go anytime soon although maybe thereare doubts about Nurburging and Australia as well. Probably the only way to go is to alternate more, F1 needs the classic tracks but it needs the money tracks as well so somethings gotta give. As for Mexico, I love the track but hope they dont ruin it like they did in Austria particularly and can see it getting big crowds with the Perez/Gutierrez situation. Carlos Slim will contribute a bit of money you ould guess so I can see it going ahead possibly as a replacemenr for New Jersey which just dosn't look ready.

I've been saying for a long time that Hungaroring needs to be dropped. As much as it is a classic track, I think the venue is outdated, produces processional races, and does it even draw a significant amount of spectators (compared to other European tracks) to justify its presence in the calendar? That track is like a testament to why all the gimmicks like DRS and super fast wearing tyres were implemented.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 pm 

froze wrote:
TakumaSatoforthewin wrote:

I've been saying for a long time that Hungaroring needs to be dropped. As much as it is a classic track, I think the venue is outdated, produces processional races, and does it even draw a significant amount of spectators (compared to other European tracks) to justify its presence in the calendar? That track is like a testament to why all the gimmicks like DRS and super fast wearing tyres were implemented.

Certainly the races arent especially inspiring(bar Mansell in 89 and the 2006 race). Not sure if the owners are particulary wealthy or something as that would probably be the only reason for it staying on the calendar for so long. I actually dont mind the track as it can provide a challenge and throw up a few unusual results plus it draws a big crowd but I would ideally like to see it alternate with anoher venue that would provide a better race (Portimao or Paul Ricard maybe) because even with DRS/Kers there are barely enough overtakes to count on one hand.