planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:44 pm 

Well Lowe was the man in charge of those cars that kept breaking. Nevermind the MP4-24

Hardly a positive aspect ;)

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm 

So basically Lowe can't get involved until Jan 1st 2014 so his involvement in the 2014 car in general will be minimal. Brawn will likely leave at the end of 2013 meaning he won't work on the 2014 car as hard as he would have if he had stayed. It could lead to disaster for Merc in 2014. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm 

Allison staying at Lotus then?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 pm 

Johnston wrote:
So Macca have confirmed his leaving.

Last I looked Merc were refusing to comment.

Maybe not such a done deal anyway?

And Haribo, If you left a job because of the way things were would you be happy when one of the guys responsible followed you and one of the guys you were looking forward to working with moved on?

Like it or not if Lewis had problems at Macca, as TD Paddy Lowe was part of those problems.

Dear Johnston,

Paddy Lowe's move to Merc can only be good, the guy is one of the best in the business, and that's why Mclaren offered a pay rise, and that's why Mclaren was one of the fastest cars in 2012. Pitstop errors, under fueling are not his fault, so don't pretent that this is not a blow for Mclaren, your hero Button said last year that he doesn't care if Hamilton left or stayed, he cares about Paddy Lowe, because he is the one who can give him a good car. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:12 pm 

‏@andrewbensonf1

Ross Brawn expected to leave position as Mercedes team boss as result of Paddy Lowe joining. More here soon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21571627

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm 

montyinct wrote:
Dear Johnston,

Paddy Lowe's move to Merc can only be good, the guy is one of the best in the business, and that's why Mclaren offered a pay rise, and that's why Mclaren was one of the fastest cars in 2012. Pitstop errors, under fueling are not his fault, so don't pretent that this is not a blow for Mclaren, your hero Button said last year that he doesn't care if Hamilton left or stayed, he cares about Paddy Lowe, because he is the one who can give him a good car. ;)

Pistops and Fuelling where not his fault no.

But hold on how many mechanical failures did Lewis have?

You know the cause of losing the WDC from dieing when the car was in the lead as we constantly get told, the Broken dampers, the broken Roll bars all that cost him the points that cost him the WDC?

You know as Tech Director he was the man responsible for the build of that gearbox in Singapore and Japan, the Diff in Germany .

He was responsible for the design of the Anti-roll bar that broke in Korea, the Damper in Japan.

How come the guy in charge of all the build of that car that kept failing is now absolved of all responsibility??

You can't in one hand say McLaren couldn't give Lewis a reliable car, thats why he left and then in the other hand say the guy that was ultimately responsible for the car moving to Merc is good for Lewis. Because as the man responsible for the car he was one of the reasons Lewis didn't have a reliable competitive car and therefore one of the reasons Lewis supposedly wanted out of McLaren.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm 

Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I always got the impression that Hamilton got on well with Paddy, Paddy always came across as being one of Hamilton's biggest supporters at the team

As TD though Paddy was responsible for those cars that kept breaking ;)

Well i'm not exactly sure what he is responsible for? :?

2013: 5th Place

2014: Currently 1st

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:40 pm 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
‏@andrewbensonf1

Ross Brawn expected to leave position as Mercedes team boss as result of Paddy Lowe joining. More here soon

And.. Ross moves to Mclaren to team up with Jenson again :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:45 pm 

What the hell.... I was gone for a few hours and he already moved???

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:50 pm 

f1fan22 wrote:
JohnnyGuitar wrote:
‏@andrewbensonf1

And.. Ross moves to Mclaren to team up with Jenson again :)

Dream on

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Johnston wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I always got the impression that Hamilton got on well with Paddy, Paddy always came across as being one of Hamilton's biggest supporters at the team

As TD though Paddy was responsible for those cars that kept breaking ;)

Well i'm not exactly sure what he is responsible for? :?

2011 car was not bad, the 2012 car kept breaking, for the 2009 car, Pat Fry was responsible

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Well Lowe was the man in charge of those cars that kept breaking. Nevermind the MP4-24

It was Frys project 2009

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

It was Frys project 2009

Fry was only chief engineer Paddy was director.

2011 car if you recall originally had the cluster eff octo exhaust.

Last edited by Johnston on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:59 pm 

Here comes Haribo vs Johnston round 356...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:02 pm 

Laura23 wrote:

I'm laughing too much to argue properly.

Here comes saint Paddy the guy in charge of the car that cost Lewis a WDC by breaking down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:11 pm 

SILVAF0XX wrote:
Johnston wrote:
SILVAF0XX wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the technical teams structure themselves in the coming months.

I also reckon that even though Paddy is on gardening leave he will still be communicating with Mercedes team on the quiet!

Makes for exciting times I think!

If he does and Macca find out it's breach of contract and McLaren can take him to the cleaners.

After '07 McLaren would likely goto the FIA too.

I appreciate that it's a breach, but I'm guessing this sort of thing does go on behind closed doors in all types of industries including F1.

I doubt he will spend 12 months twiddling his thumbs?

Under UK law, its really difficult to stop someone plying their trade or making a living. Bailiffs aren't allowed to take away the tools of your trade if you go bankrupt or owe money. Maclaren would have to prove that they had lost out more money than his wages were while on gardening leave to actually sue him and 'take him to the cleaners'. The worst maclaren could do would be to not pay him while he's on gardening leave if he's working for someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:19 pm 

fitjiffa wrote:
SILVAF0XX wrote:
Johnston wrote:
SILVAF0XX wrote:
It will be interesting to see how the technical teams structure themselves in the coming months.

I also reckon that even though Paddy is on gardening leave he will still be communicating with Mercedes team on the quiet!

If he does and Macca find out it's breach of contract and McLaren can take him to the cleaners.

I appreciate that it's a breach, but I'm guessing this sort of thing does go on behind closed doors in all types of industries including F1.

Under UK law, its really difficult to stop someone plying their trade or making a living. Bailiffs aren't allowed to take away the tools of your trade if you go bankrupt or owe money. Maclaren would have to prove that they had lost out more money than his wages were while on gardening leave to actually sue him and 'take him to the cleaners'. The worst maclaren could do would be to not pay him while he's on gardening leave if he's working for someone else.

It is possible Mercedes will be able to buy out his McLaren contract in the same way Honda bought out Button's Williams' 2006 contract. Although if McLaren did agree to it then they would probably not allow it to happen until the current season was well underway, at the point where it is too late in the season for Paddy Lowe to be able to contribute to the 2013 season.

It makes no sense for Mercedes to sign Paddy Lowe if they have not figured out a way to get him in play helping out with their 2014 car, the whole Mercedes strategy is geared around the 2014 regulation change. Some deal with McLaren will be struck, whether it's giving McLaren free engines again or something else. I find it highly unlikely that Paddy Lowe will still be kicking around his gardens watering his flowerbeds come July.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm 

fitjiffa wrote:

Whilst on Gardening leave he is still contracted to McLaren and not allowed to moonlight as it were. Breach of contract is breach of contract.

It is difficult to stop someone plying their trade but not when they are signed sealed and delivered to one company. Whilst he is signed to McLaren he is contractually obligated to McLaren and to work for anyone else breaks his contract if they want him planting Daffodils not much he can do about it.

If they weren't that worried about contracts why did Merc have to ask McLarens permission to talk to Lewis before the 31st December 2012. If McLaren have to prove loss of money they could easily say sod it and got Lewis into the sim. After all Lewis was officially finished and therefore McLaren would have lost nothing.

If he takes info to Merc in that time I'm sure the FIA wouldn't be too happy just like in 2007.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 pm 

fitjiffa wrote:
SILVAF0XX wrote:
Johnston wrote:
SILVAF0XX wrote:

Do you think Mercedes would like to take him while he has a valid contract with McLaren? Industrial espionage is serious crime. Mercedes isn't looking for troubles, neither is Paddy Lowe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Laura23 wrote:

I'm laughing too much to argue properly.

Here comes saint Paddy the guy in charge of the car that cost Lewis a WDC by breaking down :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2012 car is Goss

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 pm 

Johnston wrote:
montyinct wrote:
Dear Johnston,

Pistops and Fuelling where not his fault no.

But hold on how many mechanical failures did Lewis have?

You know the cause of losing the WDC from dieing when the car was in the lead as we constantly get told, the Broken dampers, the broken Roll bars all that cost him the points that cost him the WDC?

You know as Tech Director he was the man responsible for the build of that gearbox in Singapore and Japan, the Diff in Germany .

He was responsible for the design of the Anti-roll bar that broke in Korea, the Damper in Japan.

How come the guy in charge of all the build of that car that kept failing is now absolved of all responsibility??

You can't in one hand say McLaren couldn't give Lewis a reliable car, thats why he left and then in the other hand say the guy that was ultimately responsible for the car moving to Merc is good for Lewis. Because as the man responsible for the car he was one of the reasons Lewis didn't have a reliable competitive car and therefore one of the reasons Lewis supposedly wanted out of McLaren.

Where did you read that Hamilton left because of Paddy? No one said that either.

Reliability is something that exists in F1, and will always, even Newey was rumored to have been the cause of the alternator's failure on the Red Bull, because of tight packaging his cars ( didn't happen to Williams, Caterham etc..).

What should have really happened at Mclaren is them backing the faster driver, they wasted his and their time for that matter trying to do the"we don't have number 1 driver" thing, which is cool, but you must know when to draw the line. In short, Hamilton was just not comfortable anymore, that's why he left. He saw enough. Not because Paddy was making fast cars. Please....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 pm 

So in 2012 was Goss that must mean that the too slow 2011 car with ill fated octo-exhaust concept was Lowes.

2010 again competitive wasn't Lowe (Alternate years.)

2009 his turn but not apparently. (According to earlier in the thread it was knocked up by Fry who was poached by Ferrari remind me why Ferrari would poach a designer of a clusterf***?)

So can you tell me again what has he done recently that makes this so good news for Hammy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:57 pm 

montyinct wrote:

Where did you read that Hamilton left because of Paddy? No one said that either.

Reliability is something that exists in F1, and will always, even Newey was rumored to have been the cause of the alternator's failure on the Red Bull, because of tight packaging his cars ( didn't happen to Williams, Caterham etc..).

What should have really happened at Mclaren is them backing the faster driver, they wasted his and their time for that matter trying to do the"we don't have number 1 driver" thing, which is cool, but you must know when to draw the line. In short, Hamilton was just not comfortable anymore, that's why he left. He saw enough. Not because Paddy was making fast cars. Please....

If you followed the threads on here Hammy left because of the bad reliability etc costing the championship.

As Technical Director Paddy Lowe was in charge of the design team. Ergo he has to carry a portion of the blame for the unreliable car.

If you want to push it part of the cause of the bad stops was the wheel nut jamming due to the two metals heating at different rates causing a partial seizure. Again a bad design flaw on a car where Lowe headed up the design team.

So if Hammy truly did leave in part due to the bad reliability that was claimed here on the forum THEN Paddy Lowe was part of that problem by being the guy in charge of the design team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:00 pm 

Oh not the Mclaren favor Button brigade again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:53 pm 

From the BBC website, "Paddy Lowe's 'gardening leave' means he will not be allowed to do any work for his new employers. But these things are notoriously difficult to police.

"F1 insiders will recall, for example, what happened when Adrian Newey, now Red Bull's design chief, left Williams at the end of 1996.

"He was on 'gardening leave' until joining McLaren in September 1997.

"Yet at the first race Newey attended as McLaren technical director, a front wing that was almost a carbon copy of that on the Williams was fitted to the McLaren.

"No-one knows for sure how that happened, but it's fair to say those at Williams at the time - including Geoff Willis, now in a senior role at Mercedes - have their suspicions.

and you can imagine that was only the external work Williams could see on the car - so the possibility exists of him working on the new merc car, but McLaren would need to prove it. Also none of us know when he handed his notice in or what contract version he was on so cant really stipulate when he will turn up for work at Mercedes, even if he does at all.

Interesting news about McLaren talking to Honda guessing their relationship with Merc is in tatters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:25 pm 

Johnston wrote:
So in 2012 was Goss that must mean that the too slow 2011 car with ill fated octo-exhaust concept was Lowes.

2009 his turn but not apparently. (According to earlier in the thread it was knocked up by Fry who was poached by Ferrari remind me why Ferrari would poach a designer of a clusterf***?)

So can you tell me again what has he done recently that makes this so good news for Hammy?

The octo- exhaust did not even see the 1st race
2011 car was not bad, only the RBR was much better

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

The octo exhaust put McLaren on the back foot for development all year. It meant they were always playing catch up to Red Bull.

If they dropped it much earlier in pre season testing who knows if they could have caught RB sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:40 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Precisely and the car was designed around it. The whole philosophy of the car was built around the something that didn't see the first race and failed so bad they barely got a race distance across the all the winter tests.

It wasn't bad but it wasn't good enough imagine they started with a philosophy that worked and they actually got to test rather than take a car with a new EBD bolted on ditching the originally philosophy? Do you not think there is a high chance with a proper winter test with a philosophy that worked they could have been on the front foot a bit more rather than going into the first race with a new solution that had never seen tarmac and minimal testing?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:50 pm 

Lauda: Brawn is not even discussed. He's staying.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/form ... 46620.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 pm 

Johnston wrote:
Whilst on Gardening leave he is still contracted to McLaren and not allowed to moonlight as it were. Breach of contract is breach of contract.

Does gardening leave mean he is still under contract and paid by McLaren, or is it simply part of a non-compete clause? I assumed it was the latter, where he is no longer employed by McLaren. The clause, which would have been part of his McLaren contract, kicks in when he leaves company employ and allows him to work in any job he likes, as long as it does not directly compete with McLaren. It doesn't stop him from being an Engineer, Designer or Manager, but just stops him from being one of those things in the same business (Formula 1) as McLaren, for the length of the non-compete clause.

Such clauses are fairly common in many Technical Industries in the US at least.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 pm 

Nope he's still under contract, basically paid leave or they might put him into a role somewhere else in the company away from the team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:10 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
Johnston wrote:

Does gardening leave mean he is still under contract and paid by McLaren, or is it simply part of a non-compete clause? I assumed it was the latter, where he is no longer employed by McLaren. The clause, which would have been part of his McLaren contract, kicks in when he leaves company employ and allows him to work in any job he likes, as long as it does not directly compete with McLaren. It doesn't stop him from being an Engineer, Designer or Manager, but just stops him from being one of those things in the same business (Formula 1) as McLaren, for the length of the non-compete clause.

Such clauses are fairly common in many Technical Industries in the US at least.

I bet he is still on McLaren payroll. McLaren must fulfill their contract with Paddy Lowe too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:11 pm 

Haribo wrote:
I heared a rumour Lowe is not happy with how Whitmarsh runs the team & also was not happy about how the great opportunities for the WDC & WCC were wasted 2012 at McLaren

Source would be nice.

WORLD
CHAMPIONS
Once More

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 pm 

Guia wrote:
Haribo wrote:
I heared a rumour Lowe is not happy with how Whitmarsh runs the team & also was not happy about how the great opportunities for the WDC & WCC were wasted 2012 at McLaren

Source would be nice.

There most probably isn't one

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 pm 

Guia wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Source would be nice.

Source: grapevine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:44 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
Guia wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Source would be nice.

Source for rumors? yes, therefore it's called rumor x(

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 pm 

Mercedes' strategy for getting to the top seems to be by hobbling all their rivals by taking their most important members of staff and collecting them all in one place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Guia wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Source would be nice.

So things can now just get made up and call it "grapevine"!!!

That can't be happening

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:58 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Guia wrote:
Haribo wrote:

Source would be nice.

That can't be happening

I really don't care what you think, I heared what I heared

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:05 pm 

Haribo wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Guia wrote:
Source would be nice.

That can't be happening

I really don't care what you think, I heared what I heared

Was it the voices in your head?