Monaco GP for me is....
Hell Yeah 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
Its fairy cakes 14%  14%  [ 20 ]
Its ok sometimes 36%  36%  [ 51 ]
I just watch it for the girls 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 141
 Post subject: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:57 pm 

Is The Monaco GP still properly exciting or has it passed its prime, therefore boring due to it being a processional highspeed spectacle

Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 pm 

Seeing as they were asking this question in 1993, I'd say it's as iconoclastic as ever.

WORLD
CHAMPIONS
Once More

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:03 pm 

Back a couple of years ago if it wasn't for Alonso and Vettel being able to change tyres during the red flag thy would've been an epic finale

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:17 pm 

One of the best circuits to watch drivers qualify. One of the worst circuits to watch drivers race.

Oh and Bernie, National flags should be raised not flipped. Sort it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:44 pm 

Can't vote no option for me. It's not so much a good race more about the glamore and history and watching the cars flying round the track flat out makes it exciting. Especially the section called the swimming (I think)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 pm 

It's fairy cakes but has some tradition which makes it passable... Watching drivers on it between the walls in quali is good too.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:52 pm 

A track where races are done like during the curfew. No overtaking allowed else you will certainly cause a crash and get a penalty.

On the other side, its pretty exciting to watch how close they come to those barriers and who will have best strategy to stay up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:05 am 

It's only race like that on the calendar, so it still is exciting for me. It takes a skillful driver to maneuver those close quarters. I think it's the one calendar where all out performance matters less, but a good driver can take his car up a few spots. i.e. MSC at Monaco 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:15 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
One of the best circuits to watch drivers qualify. One of the worst circuits to watch drivers race.

:thumbup: My sentiments entirely. Its rare for the race to be anything other than a borefest.

Edit - The drivers enjoy it though as the track requires a great deal of skill - so for that reason alone, I don't get too annoyed about it being on the F1 calendar.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:26 am 

A2jdl wrote:
Can't vote no option for me. It's not so much a good race more about the glamore and history and watching the cars flying round the track flat out makes it exciting. Especially the section called the swimming (I think)

what option are you looking for?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 am 

I really like the glamour and excitement surrounding it, I wish the race would match all that. It is a rubbish race. Pole usually = Victory unless Wet weather : (.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am 

It's definitely a fairy cakes race. The qualifying has potential. It's big glitz event though, as long as it has that about it, they should keep it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:58 am 

I had read this sometime time back, earlier Monaco used to be the place where most of the contracts used to be signed, sponsors etc, but now because of the economic downturn Singapore is the new Hot destination for that. Its cheaper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 am 

Somewhere between "Hell Yeah" and "Its ok sometimes" for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:33 am 

It's undoubtfully true that it takes especially high driver skills to race the streets of Monaco, but for the spectators it stinks. A race where overtaking is more or less impossible is a joke. Or it should be. But there's a lot of prestige - and money - in being seen in Monaco, and that is probably the main reason, why this GP hadn't been scrapped a long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:17 am 

every year, i keep dreaming of it, watch the action as close/much as i can and follow every detail of every session. Practice sessions and quali are full of excitement.

And then i am usually left disappointed and bored after raceday, 1 weekend later and i am itching for next year's Monaco GP.

the 2011 GP was a (very) good one i must say.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 am 

Race2win wrote:
A2jdl wrote:

what option are you looking for?

its exciting ( for different reasons. )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:21 am 

Even though the races don't usually have a heap of action, it's still in my top 3 of the year (if not my favourite). It takes so much skill to drive around those tiny streets at such enormous speed - how can you not enjoy it?

It's easily my favourite to race around on racing games. I used to be involved in a national rFactor competition for Formula One cars. Winning at Monaco - and by as much as I did - was easily the highlight of the competition. Especially given I'd qualified 2nd, about 0.050 behind pole.

If I had it my way, it'd be the season opener. Just like the good old days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:23 am 

Last years race was awful. Every driver was cruising around looking after their tyres in case it rained. It was a shambles! 2011 was good, but ruined by the red flag rule.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 am 

I think Monaco is one of those tracks when the qualifying is more fun to watch than the race.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:51 am 

Dont like it one bit. I only watch it because it makes difference in championship. That is all. History be damned as far as this race is concerned. Every time I get excited for pass, at the back of my head I know it is not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 am 

I love Monaco & think it is the the one circuit that really shows the drivers skills what with cars getting so close to the barriers on narrow streets at such high speed. Like Toby, this has always been my favourite in F1 racing games & the only one I can do better than my husband :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am 

..usually extremely boring.

2014: Currently 1st in everything

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 am 

It's OK, but would be better if they did half the race in speedboats around the harbor, in costumes. It would fit in fine, high-class society is into costume parties, and they'll be so drunk they'll think the gorilla in the black & gold boat actually is James Hunt.

Throw in a quick Triathlon stint especially for Lewis and Jenson - so convenient with the terrain and the harbor there. Start with a run around the track, then a few cycling laps, then dive off the parking lot and swim out to the boats, don the costumes, take 10 laps around the harbor without hitting Flavio's ship, then swim back (in costume), make a quick pit stop to dry off, and jump in the cars for half the usual laps.

That ought to boost the ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:23 am 

Absolutely love it. I find I can't take my eyes off it as someone could be in the wall at any minute.

I get more enjoyment out of a Monaco GP than, say, Turkey 2011 or Abu Dhabi 2011 where the amount of overtaking just got boring.

Sometimes a strategic 200mph chess match packs far more of a punch than an overtaking free-for-all.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 pm 

Monaco IS the worst race of the year for real formula 1 fans.

For the purpose of this post, my definition of a real fan is:

Someone who enjoys racing.

Monaco is boring, predictable, and only ever becomes even slightly interesting if someone stuffs it into a barrier. But then the race gets red flagged and strategy goes tits up.

The only people who enjoy Monaco is:

1. - Drivers - for all the barriers and having cars with max downforce.
2. - Guests/posers - To show off and for the parties. Which is completely unrelated to F1.

Things have only gotten worse in places like Singapore and Abu Dhabi. The saving grace for them is that cars can at-least overtake each other out on track.

Dale

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:41 pm 

Dalemac wrote:

Monaco is boring, predictable, and only ever becomes even slightly interesting if someone stuffs it into a barrier. But then the race gets red flagged and strategy goes tits up.

2. - Guests/posers - To show off and for the parties. Which is completely unrelated to F1.

Things have only gotten worse in places like Singapore and Abu Dhabi. The saving grace for them is that cars can at-least overtake each other out on track.

Dale

So I'm not a real fan and a driver, guest or poser? I'll just take your word on it :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Dalemac wrote:

Dale

So I'm not a real fan and a driver, guest or poser? I'll just take your word on it :uhoh:

So you don't enjoy racing?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:50 pm 

Dalemac wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Dalemac wrote:

Dale

So you don't enjoy racing?

I do but you said "Monaco IS the worst race of the year for real formula 1 fans" and I don't think it's anywhere near the worst race of the year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:22 pm 

its crap. crap circuit. crap race.

its all about the glitz and the glamour and the rich and famous. if i was in charge of F1 dropping it from the calendar would be my 1st job.

every 5 or 6 years you will get a good race - only because:

a) somebodies smacked into a barrier
b) its raining.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
The last Monaco GP was the worst grand prix I've ever seen. No competition. Every car trundling round saving tyres to the extreme because, no matter how slow they went, the guy behind wasn't getting past. I love the circuit and don't care there isn't overtaking. But if these kind of tyres are here to stay, Monaco has to go.

of Alice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

It's a quality race, the atmosphere and how close you can get to it all (you will not get this anywhere else). I'll be there for the 12th time since 2001 (missed 2003 which was good seeing as I couldn't stand Montoya). Easily my favourite race to go to along with Suzuka, and Abu Dhabu after going in 2012. Managed to get Red Bull Party tickets for the 2012 Monaco GP, be sweet to get them again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm 

Race2win wrote:
I had read this sometime time back, earlier Monaco used to be the place where most of the contracts used to be signed, sponsors etc, but now because of the economic downturn Singapore is the new Hot destination for that. Its cheaper

Monaco was where CEO's, their wives, and familes could be treated for a week in a yacht. That was the place where the really big deals were finalized, the handshakes were made, where the real business was done. But Abu Dhabi and Singapore are leaching that away, and Monaco is no longer the center of deal-making in the Formula One universe.

I enjoy watcdhing Monaco, the precision and courage required to race there is awesome. I look for the details, the weight shifts, the little slides, all the small things that separate Formula One drivers from us mere mortals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 pm 

Qualifying is the most exciting for me, the race normally isnt anything special but i dont think that it is bad, just alright, qualifying though is awesome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Dalemac wrote:

Quite the contrary in my opinion.

Dalemac wrote:

Gotta say I get more enjoyment out of a strategic pitstop pass than a DRS-assisted button press overtake. Take away DRS and (what I assume is) your definition of "racing" doesn't apply to most of the circuits on the calendar.

Dalemac wrote:

Monaco has the quickest response team for accidents. Red flags are actually quite rare.
Oh and I see strategy is now important...

Dalemac wrote:

This is where I would put
3. - Real Formula 1 fans

Dalemac wrote:

Dale

Incidentally Singapore is also one of my favourites for many of the same reasons I love Monaco. An overtake on one of these circuits is mesmerising to me, as opposed to overtakes on wide open straights feeding into hairpins, chicanes, (and the aforementioned DRS zones), etc. They're so rare that when they happen they are works of art (or works of bafflement - Massa on Senna, Singapore 2012).

#14 for '14

Last edited by mcdo on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm 

To all those saying the racing i boring I wonder what you thought of the races in 2011, 08,05,04,01,00,98,97, and 96. All good races I have watched at Monaco. Overtaking is not the be all and end all there are other things that make and exciting race and part of the enjoyment of Monaco is the unique challenge it presents. I think it serves just as many good races as most over tracks although I admit last years race was very dull.

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I enjoy watcdhing Monaco, the precision and courage required to race there is awesome. I look for the details, the weight shifts, the little slides, all the small things that separate Formula One drivers from us mere mortals.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#14 for '14

Did anyone see pointless yesterday, previous winners of the Monaco Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:00 pm 

mcdo wrote:
Dalemac wrote:

Quite the contrary in my opinion.

Dalemac wrote:

Gotta say I get more enjoyment out of a strategic pitstop pass than a DRS-assisted button press overtake. Take away DRS and your definition of "racing" doesn't apply to most of the circuits on the calendar.

Dalemac wrote:

Monaco has the quickest response team for accidents. Red flags are actually quite rare.
Oh and I see strategy is now important...

Dalemac wrote:

This is where I would put
3. - Real Formula 1 fans

Dalemac wrote:

Dale

Incidentally Singapore is also one of my favourites for many of the same reasons I love Monaco. An overtake on one of these circuits is mesmerising to me, as opposed to overtakes on wide open straights feeding into hairpins, chicanes, (and the aforementioned DRS zones), etc. They're so rare that when they happen they are works of art (or works of bafflement - Massa on Senna, Singapore 2012).

Great post I also love Singapore it serves up some real moments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm 

rob_the_shark wrote:
Did anyone see pointless yesterday, previous winners of the Monaco Grand Prix

Good question. Olivier Panis, Jarno Trulli and lets hazard a guess on an old one... Alberto Ascari (who once also took a trip into the harbour below)?

#14 for '14