planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic

Monaco GP for me is....
Hell Yeah 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
Its fairy cakes 14%  14%  [ 20 ]
Its ok sometimes 36%  36%  [ 51 ]
I just watch it for the girls 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 141
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:46 pm
Posts: 516
Asphalt_World wrote:
One of the best circuits to watch drivers qualify. One of the worst circuits to watch drivers race.

:thumbup: This.

_________________
Me Like - Button, Hamilton, Webber, Rosberg
Over rated, over paid - Räikkönen, Alonso, Vettel. Schumacher
Disappointing - Massa, Kobayashi
I may be wrong about - Alonso


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
Balibari wrote:
The last Monaco GP was the worst grand prix I've ever seen. No competition. Every car trundling round saving tyres to the extreme because, no matter how slow they went, the guy behind wasn't getting past. I love the circuit and don't care there isn't overtaking. But if these kind of tyres are here to stay, Monaco has to go.

My sentiments exactly

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:24 pm
Posts: 326
mcdo wrote:
rob_the_shark wrote:
Did anyone see pointless yesterday, previous winners of the Monaco Grand Prix

Good question. Olivier Panis, Jarno Trulli and lets hazard a guess on an old one... Alberto Ascari (who once also took a trip into the harbour below)?


Yeah Trulli was the most modern pointless, Ascari incorrect and Panis wasn't pointless. They guessed Lauda, R. Schumacher and Irvine - only Lauda was correct but scored 3.

I went with Maurice Trintignant, Panis and Patrese - Patrese was Pointless

Scheckter and G. Villeneuve were both pointless as was what should be the defacto standard answer for Pointless F1 questions - Denny Hulme


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
mikeyg123 wrote:
To all those saying the racing i boring I wonder what you thought of the races in 2011, 08,05,04,01,00,98,97, and 96. All good races I have watched at Monaco. Overtaking is not the be all and end all there are other things that make and exciting race and part of the enjoyment of Monaco is the unique challenge it presents. I think it serves just as many good races as most over tracks although I admit last years race was very dull.


2011 was only made interesting by teams not having a clue how the Pirellis would wear for the first half of the season.
2008 was made interesting by a wet dry race, which is uncommon in Monaco and the only one in 15 years.
2005 was nothing to write home about. Kimi won from pole and Fred burned his tyres out. Pretty much it.
2004 had a crash at the start and the two incidents in the tunnel but was otherwise processional.
2001 A rare good afternoon for Jaguar but the race was a dull Ferrari 1-2.
2000 Schumacher was way out in front then his exhaust cracked. Boring.
1998 Wurz crashed, Schumacher had a damaged suspension, DC's engine blew. Nothing all that exciting.
1997 Wet race, they're always fairly entertaining. It's not a Monaco thing.
1996 As above.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Last edited by Banana Man on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1474
Location: UK
I love Monaco. Yes the race can be dull at times but the circuit is totally unique and is the most challenging race on the calendar for the drivers. It has also thrown up some really cracking races over the years, precisely because the layout means that anything can happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
j man wrote:
I love Monaco. Yes the race can be dull at times but the circuit is totally unique and is the most challenging race on the calendar for the drivers. It has also thrown up some really cracking races over the years, precisely because the layout means that anything can happen.


Appart from Valencia and Singapore?

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:41 pm
Posts: 482
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Well I've seen quite a lot of overtaking in Valencia and Singapore in 2012.
But in Monaco...the big heads-up were pilots crashing in the barriers, but nowadays even that don't happen so often anymore. Last couple of races were rather boring.

_________________
Olivier Panis fan.
...and also Jenson Button fan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
That's sort of my point. It's not unique anymore. Valencia and Singapore both offer the same challenges of close barriers and little margin forever, however they allow room for overtaking. Monaco you can spend an entire race taking the inside line into the chicane and nobody will get past, so long as you don't mess up your braking.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 am
Posts: 50
I love it, look forward to it every year.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 917
It's worth it just to see F1 cars through Casino & the swimming pool & a few other places on the circuit.

_________________
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 4768
Banana Man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
To all those saying the racing i boring I wonder what you thought of the races in 2011, 08,05,04,01,00,98,97, and 96. All good races I have watched at Monaco. Overtaking is not the be all and end all there are other things that make and exciting race and part of the enjoyment of Monaco is the unique challenge it presents. I think it serves just as many good races as most over tracks although I admit last years race was very dull.


2011 was only made interesting by teams not having a clue how the Pirellis would wear for the first half of the season.
2008 was made interesting by a wet dry race, which is uncommon in Monaco and the only one in 15 years.
2005 was nothing to write home about. Kimi won from pole and Fred burned his tyres out. Pretty much it.
2004 had a crash at the start and the two incidents in the tunnel but was otherwise processional.
2001 A rare good afternoon for Jaguar but the race was a dull Ferrari 1-2.
2000 Schumacher was way out in front then his exhaust cracked. Boring.
1998 Wurz crashed, Schumacher had a damaged suspension, DC's engine blew. Nothing all that exciting.
1997 Wet race, they're always fairly entertaining. It's not a Monaco thing.
1996 As above.


So what races do you find exciting that is not because of tyres/rain/crashing/leader retirements? Or what races do you find exciting because of the track? Im amazed if you really did not get any enjoyment out of any of those races.

Also in a lot of those races - 05 and 00 for example a lot of the excitement was caused by events lower down the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 5528
Banana Man wrote:
That's sort of my point. It's not unique anymore. Valencia and Singapore both offer the same challenges of close barriers and little margin forever, however they allow room for overtaking. Monaco you can spend an entire race taking the inside line into the chicane and nobody will get past, so long as you don't mess up your braking.

Monaco is unique. The slowest, shortest, most narrow(this is very important and unique feature!), the highest downforce track in F1 calendar. Beside that it has many elevation changes, you actually see buildings and yachts around track and it has a tunnel. :P Valencia is street track only because it's in the middle of the city, has barriers, but I think it doesn't use any public roads at all. Singapore is similar to Monaco, but it looks nothing like Monaco and it doesn't have tunnel :P

_________________
..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
IMO prior to last year the races were very exciting. But sice last year because you need to nurse the tyres it become a little boring and it'll probably be the same this year too. Like Balbari says

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 396
It's a great circuit to drive on in F1 games.

It doesn't provide the greatest racing, but the one thing I love about the circuit is that it's barely changed since the 1950s - the circuit Mark Webber won on in 2012 is pretty much the same circuit that the likes of Fangio and Clark drove round. How many other circuits can you say that about - Monza probably comes closest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
mikeyg123 wrote:
So what races do you find exciting that is not because of tyres/rain/crashing/leader retirements? Or what races do you find exciting because of the track? Im amazed if you really did not get any enjoyment out of any of those races.

Also in a lot of those races - 05 and 00 for example a lot of the excitement was caused by events lower down the field.


To take my favourite circuit, Spa. Raikonnen and Webber overtaking Schumacher on the way in to Eau Rouge. Hakkinen hunting down Schumacher and passing around the outside of Zonta. The fact that you need suncream and an umbrella within the same half hour on a regular basis. Challenging high speed corners like Pouhon, Eau Rouge and Blanchimont.

There are no difficult corners in Monaco, just chances to knock the wheels off if you cock it up, which drivers rarely do these days. It's historically seen as the jewell in the crown but recently it's been by Webber twice, DC twice, Trulli and Panis. Good drivers but hardly greats. It's not the be all and end all in terms of driver skill.

Spa seperates the Elite from the rest. Looks at the winners. Coulthard is the only none WC to win the race since 1984 (I'm not including Massa). For the last 3 decades it has been dominated by the likes of Schumacher, Senna, Raikkonen, Hill, Prost and Hamilton.

There are many other races I enjoy regularly but Spa was just the most striking. At Monaco one gets the impression the race is over after turn 1 bar a few minor incidents lower down the field. I'm sorry I don't sit around hoping for technical failures to make a race exciting. I was a big DC fan in his day but I found Monaco 2000 dull appart from a brief 30 second period when I realised Michael was in trouble

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
dizlexik wrote:
Monaco is unique. The slowest, shortest, most narrow(this is very important and unique feature!), the highest downforce track in F1 calendar. Beside that it has many elevation changes, you actually see buildings and yachts around track and it has a tunnel. :P Valencia is street track only because it's in the middle of the city, has barriers, but I think it doesn't use any public roads at all. Singapore is similar to Monaco, but it looks nothing like Monaco and it doesn't have tunnel :P


Saying an F1 track is unique because it is narrow is like saying a Miss World contestant is unique because she looks like Ian Dowie. Yes, it is unique but that doesn't mean good. Narrow just means one line through every corner and overtaking is vitrually impossible.

Going racing without a tunnel is like going paintballing without a banjo. It means naff all appart from slightly obscured and dingy camera shots of a small segment of the track.

I'm not sure what the appeal of racing on public roads is either. The idea of a load of French people being stuck in traffic jams for a week is amusing but doesn't contribute much to the race. Unless your idea of a good race is seeing the words, "bus lane" written accross the track.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 4768
Banana Man wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
So what races do you find exciting that is not because of tyres/rain/crashing/leader retirements? Or what races do you find exciting because of the track? Im amazed if you really did not get any enjoyment out of any of those races.

Also in a lot of those races - 05 and 00 for example a lot of the excitement was caused by events lower down the field.


To take my favourite circuit, Spa. Raikonnen and Webber overtaking Schumacher on the way in to Eau Rouge. Hakkinen hunting down Schumacher and passing around the outside of Zonta. The fact that you need suncream and an umbrella within the same half hour on a regular basis. Challenging high speed corners like Pouhon, Eau Rouge and Blanchimont.

There are no difficult corners in Monaco, just chances to knock the wheels off if you cock it up, which drivers rarely do these days. It's historically seen as the jewell in the crown but recently it's been by Webber twice, DC twice, Trulli and Panis. Good drivers but hardly greats. It's not the be all and end all in terms of driver skill.

Spa seperates the Elite from the rest. Looks at the winners. Coulthard is the only none WC to win the race since 1984 (I'm not including Massa). For the last 3 decades it has been dominated by the likes of Schumacher, Senna, Raikkonen, Hill, Prost and Hamilton.

There are many other races I enjoy regularly but Spa was just the most striking. At Monaco one gets the impression the race is over after turn 1 bar a few minor incidents lower down the field. I'm sorry I don't sit around hoping for technical failures to make a race exciting. I was a big DC fan in his day but I found Monaco 2000 dull appart from a brief 30 second period when I realised Michael was in trouble


Spa is a superb track and I would not argue that Monaco is better than Spa but it does provide a different challenge. Whilst there are no difficult corners per say the general theory is that the best drivers can gain more times in the slow corners than the quick ones.

I love Monaco and the racing it provides and you don't. That's fine they are two opposing opinions. But you can't say Monaco is fairy cakes like it's a fact because to most people it isn't for a variety of reasons.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1474
Location: UK
Banana Man wrote:
That's sort of my point. It's not unique anymore. Valencia and Singapore both offer the same challenges of close barriers and little margin forever, however they allow room for overtaking. Monaco you can spend an entire race taking the inside line into the chicane and nobody will get past, so long as you don't mess up your braking.

Singapore and Valencia are not comparable to Monaco in my view. Yes they are all urban circuits with barriers lining the track but that is where the similarities end. Monaco presents a far greater challenge to the drivers in terms of driving precision, concentration and endurance.

Put it this way. Valencia and Singapore both comply with the FIA's regulations on track safety or they would never have made it onto the calendar. Monaco does not by a long shot and requires special dispensation to be on the calendar. It's up to you whether you want to interpret this as an indication that the place is outdated and totally unsuitable for staging an F1 race, or as an measure of the unique challenge that it presents. Personally I prefer the latter.

Banana Man wrote:
Saying an F1 track is unique because it is narrow is like saying a Miss World contestant is unique because she looks like Ian Dowie.

:lol: Even if I do disagree, this cracked me up


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
Fair enough, I'm not denying anyone their opinion. I'm just giving mine. Just going back to a point I made about Spa, sorry everyone I know this is off topic a bit but;

The 1984 race was actually at Zolder. Collins, Brook, Gurney, Coulthard and Rodriguez are the only 5 drivers in history to have won at Spa and failed to be a WDC. I know Spa has changed a lot over the years but still, wow.

45 races at Spa and 40 of them were won by world champions.

I'm done now mods, back on topic everyone.

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm
Posts: 917
GingerFurball wrote:
It's a great circuit to drive on in F1 games.

It doesn't provide the greatest racing, but the one thing I love about the circuit is that it's barely changed since the 1950s - the circuit Mark Webber won on in 2012 is pretty much the same circuit that the likes of Fangio and Clark drove round. How many other circuits can you say that about - Monza probably comes closest.


Indeed, it is pretty much the same circuit used for the first GP there in 1929.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqYJ9azUbw

_________________
Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: Round the Bend
Banana Man wrote:
j man wrote:
I love Monaco. Yes the race can be dull at times but the circuit is totally unique and is the most challenging race on the calendar for the drivers. It has also thrown up some really cracking races over the years, precisely because the layout means that anything can happen.


Appart from Valencia and Singapore?

That there exist other street races doesn't make Monaco redundant. Cramped pit facilities, no straights to speak of and a complete lack overtaking spots make Monaco redundant. But here is a street circuit whose character sets it apart even from other street circuits - not to mention the generic strip of stultifying tarmac that passes for a grand prix track these days.

_________________

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:00 pm
Posts: 2986
Monaco is like an Alfa Romeo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:25 am 
Online

Joined: Sat May 12, 2012 9:04 pm
Posts: 1101
Maybe Pirelli can come up with special Monaco tyres (as SS and softs are too durable even for there) so we can see some racing, albeit artificial.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm
Posts: 1922
i'd rather see a precession than artificial overtakes where tyres fall off unexpectedly, i think my stance on these tyres is well known, and in my opinion the racing these tyres and DRS is providing is a joke (although i do think that the DRS in monaco is the right distance and in the right place). I cant remember the last time a DRS overtake was even remotely exiting other than Hamilton of Schumi in 2011. i feel i am gettting off subject with my moaning about DRS so maybe i should wrap up, but that is just how i personally feel


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 1622
Location: Secret Volcano Lair
M.Nader -DODZ- wrote:
Monaco is like an Alfa Romeo

I like that comparision.

_________________
Loading Quote.......
--------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:33 pm
Posts: 4759
Location: Ireland
Banana Man wrote:
Spa seperates the Elite from the rest. Looks at the winners. Coulthard is the only none WC to win the race since 1984 (I'm not including Massa). For the last 3 decades it has been dominated by the likes of Schumacher, Senna, Raikkonen, Hill, Prost and Hamilton.

Do you not think they cars they drove have a lot to do with that? Since 1984 I would say Raikkonen and Hill are the only drivers to win at Spa in a car that wasn't a front runner.

Monaco provides more opprtunites to drivers in lesser cars. I personally find it enjoyable to see something different for a change.

_________________
"I am a believer, but I start each Grand Prix with 195 liters of fuel behind me," he explains. "I don't rely entirely on God, I rely on Prost."


#14 for '14


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 61
Spa's a great track alright, but you get sick and tired of being rainned on after going for 5 years. You go Monaco once and I guarantee you'll be back. You don't even need a race ticket, just watch it in one of the Bars, meet drivers inbetween sessions, go out at night to a proper bar instead of some peaky man made tent that you get at most tracks in the 'middle of nowhere'. Monaco, Singapore and Abu Dhabi are where it's at.

You can't generalise that someone who likes Monaco isn't a proper racing fan, but there is more than just going to a race, for the racing, it's an overall experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 2570
One thing about Monaco is undeniable: when media speak about retired or vintage drivers, they will most probably mark and emphasize the victory achieved in Monaco.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:22 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2928
j man wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
That's sort of my point. It's not unique anymore. Valencia and Singapore both offer the same challenges of close barriers and little margin forever, however they allow room for overtaking. Monaco you can spend an entire race taking the inside line into the chicane and nobody will get past, so long as you don't mess up your braking.

Singapore and Valencia are not comparable to Monaco in my view. Yes they are all urban circuits with barriers lining the track but that is where the similarities end. Monaco presents a far greater challenge to the drivers in terms of driving precision, concentration and endurance.

Put it this way. Valencia and Singapore both comply with the FIA's regulations on track safety or they would never have made it onto the calendar. Monaco does not by a long shot and requires special dispensation to be on the calendar. It's up to you whether you want to interpret this as an indication that the place is outdated and totally unsuitable for staging an F1 race, or as an measure of the unique challenge that it presents. Personally I prefer the latter.

Banana Man wrote:
Saying an F1 track is unique because it is narrow is like saying a Miss World contestant is unique because she looks like Ian Dowie.

:lol: Even if I do disagree, this cracked me up

Maybe you're right about Valencia but not Singapore... Races there pretty much always get close to the 2 hour limit, it's hot, it's humid, drivers have to deal with racng under lights, a real challenge, probably more so than Monaco. Yeah there's a few bigger run-offs there but they are still close to wall for a large amount of the time and the fact that there are chances for overtaking mean even more concentration is required.
Singapore > Monaco > Valencia

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:17 pm
Posts: 857
Don't forget '06 where MS was demoted and then passed most of the field.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 1474
Location: UK
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Maybe you're right about Valencia but not Singapore... Races there pretty much always get close to the 2 hour limit, it's hot, it's humid, drivers have to deal with racng under lights, a real challenge, probably more so than Monaco. Yeah there's a few bigger run-offs there but they are still close to wall for a large amount of the time and the fact that there are chances for overtaking mean even more concentration is required.
Singapore > Monaco > Valencia

That is a good point, I was thinking more along the lines of the circuit layout. Certainly the heat and humidity give Singapore that extra challenge that Monaco doesn't have, but what makes Monaco so demanding for the drivers is the bumpy surface and lack of straights between corners means that the drivers take one hell of a pounding and have no respite throughout the entire race. Singapore has a smoother track surface and few nice straights to give the drivers a chance to catch their breath. It's impossible for me to judge whether the heat and humidity of Singapore or the relentless battering of Monaco present a greater challenge, only the drivers can tell us that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:56 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:15 pm
Posts: 2928
j man wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Maybe you're right about Valencia but not Singapore... Races there pretty much always get close to the 2 hour limit, it's hot, it's humid, drivers have to deal with racng under lights, a real challenge, probably more so than Monaco. Yeah there's a few bigger run-offs there but they are still close to wall for a large amount of the time and the fact that there are chances for overtaking mean even more concentration is required.
Singapore > Monaco > Valencia

That is a good point, I was thinking more along the lines of the circuit layout. Certainly the heat and humidity give Singapore that extra challenge that Monaco doesn't have, but what makes Monaco so demanding for the drivers is the bumpy surface and lack of straights between corners means that the drivers take one hell of a pounding and have no respite throughout the entire race. Singapore has a smoother track surface and few nice straights to give the drivers a chance to catch their breath. It's impossible for me to judge whether the heat and humidity of Singapore or the relentless battering of Monaco present a greater challenge, only the drivers can tell us that.

Fair enough, I think Singapore is known for being pretty bumpy too though. It's held on proper streets like Monaco as opposed to the purpose built stuff like Valencia.

_________________
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:27 pm
Posts: 36
How many slow motion replays did sky do at the chicane turn 10,11 where the cars were clipping the curb. Boring


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:07 pm
Posts: 5528
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
j man wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Maybe you're right about Valencia but not Singapore... Races there pretty much always get close to the 2 hour limit, it's hot, it's humid, drivers have to deal with racng under lights, a real challenge, probably more so than Monaco. Yeah there's a few bigger run-offs there but they are still close to wall for a large amount of the time and the fact that there are chances for overtaking mean even more concentration is required.
Singapore > Monaco > Valencia

That is a good point, I was thinking more along the lines of the circuit layout. Certainly the heat and humidity give Singapore that extra challenge that Monaco doesn't have, but what makes Monaco so demanding for the drivers is the bumpy surface and lack of straights between corners means that the drivers take one hell of a pounding and have no respite throughout the entire race. Singapore has a smoother track surface and few nice straights to give the drivers a chance to catch their breath. It's impossible for me to judge whether the heat and humidity of Singapore or the relentless battering of Monaco present a greater challenge, only the drivers can tell us that.

Fair enough, I think Singapore is known for being pretty bumpy too though. It's held on proper streets like Monaco as opposed to the purpose built stuff like Valencia.

Monaco is not held on proper streets ;) Streets use the circuit. When there is no race, they allow public traffic there. :D

_________________
..


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 1127
As much as my head knows Monaco is usually a dull race, my heart loves it because it is Monaco. I think it's one of those divisive races whereby most people will either feel the same way as I do, and require no explanation beyond that, or not be a fan of the race and struggle to understand/appreciate that particular point of view.

_________________
Currently cheering for: Felipe Massa; Nico Hulkenberg; Romain Grosjean; Felipe Nasr. Oh, and of course, the Toronto Maple Leafs
PF1 Pick 10 Competition | 2014 position:
26th | 2013 position: 17th | 2012 position: 11th | Total podiums: 4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 pm
Posts: 27
Location: Hobbs America
I have only been watching F1 a full six seasons. So maybe the new hasn't worn off for me so I voted Hell Yea. It's about tradition, danger, prestige, honor, and pure speed. Ask the old timers about the honor. Ask Hugo Chavez, DC, Lewis Hamilton, and the crown prince about the prestige. Ask Sergio Perez and Vitaly Petrov about the danger. So I guess that leaves the tradition for the fans. What do you guys think vote it up.

_________________
Turnabout is Fair Play. I think. I may have heard that somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:00 pm
Posts: 172
Location: DFW, Texas
It's not a favorite for me, but I don't mind it. I wouldn't want more like it. In a calender of 18-20 races, I figure there's room for 1 like it. And I'd rather watch it than some of the newer circuits with no atmosphere where its impossible not to notice that the cars are cruising past section of stands after section of stands with no one in them, covered by tarps, and I can't help but wonder why in the heck are they having a race there. At least Monaco is something that stirs passion among the drivers and interest among the spectators.

What helps make it interesting for me is that its a race I don't watch like I watch most races, where I'm watching driver vs. driver or car vs. car, but rather watch it as driver vs. circuit and driver vs. car. Whereas its usually another driver ready to make a driver pay for a mistake, there its the circuit that will make them pay for a mis-step. So at least for me, there is that battle to watch which makes it watchable.

If it disappeared from the calender I would miss it, whereas there are at least 5 others on the 2013 calender that could be replaced and I wouldn't mind at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Dalemac wrote:
Monaco IS the worst race of the year for real formula 1 fans.



:x x( :x x( :x x(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 2460
Banana Man wrote:
dizlexik wrote:
Monaco is unique. The slowest, shortest, most narrow(this is very important and unique feature!), the highest downforce track in F1 calendar. Beside that it has many elevation changes, you actually see buildings and yachts around track and it has a tunnel. :P Valencia is street track only because it's in the middle of the city, has barriers, but I think it doesn't use any public roads at all. Singapore is similar to Monaco, but it looks nothing like Monaco and it doesn't have tunnel :P


Saying an F1 track is unique because it is narrow is like saying a Miss World contestant is unique because she looks like Ian Dowie. Yes, it is unique but that doesn't mean good. Narrow just means one line through every corner and overtaking is vitrually impossible.

Going racing without a tunnel is like going paintballing without a banjo. It means naff all appart from slightly obscured and dingy camera shots of a small segment of the track.

I'm not sure what the appeal of racing on public roads is either. The idea of a load of French people being stuck in traffic jams for a week is amusing but doesn't contribute much to the race. Unless your idea of a good race is seeing the words, "bus lane" written accross the track.


I disagree most of F1's tracks that have character are narrow.

Wide+rightangles=boring and soulless.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monaco GP
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am
Posts: 1390
Eva09 wrote:
I disagree most of F1's tracks that have character are narrow.

Wide+rightangles=boring and soulless.


No they aren't. Narrow just makes overtaking very difficult. I'd agree that Tilke has gone too far in the oppostie direction, you could 3 point turn a submarine in turn 1 at Texas for example, but I do not want narrow tracks.

Monaco is one of the worst circuits there is for right angles.

St Devote - Right angle
Turn 2 - Nice wide curve, probably the only decent one on there IMO
Casino - Right angle
Mirabeau - Right angle
Lowes - Hairpin
Turn 6 - Right angle
Turn 7 - Right angle
Chicane - 2 Right angles
Tabac - Right angle
Swimming pool - Chicane
Rascasse - 2 right angles in quick succession
A. Nogues - Right angle

_________________
I remember when this website was all fields.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Blackhander, Blloydtbird, owenmahamilton, pokerman, RaggedMan, VDV23, Zoue and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group