planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:46 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:38 am 

Hakkattack wrote:
I feel like it is Vettel against everyone. Alonso has a teammate that takes grid penalties for him. He has Massa staying out on track to hold people up for him, he has Hamilton taking the fight to Vettel for him.
Go Vettel!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed, He is basically on his own....
Hakkattack wrote:
Sick and tired of hearing how fast his car is.... The Macca is every bit as fast. Seb just happens to be pushing this car to great heights. The Ferrari is not that slow. In fact it looks quite fast in Massa's hands of late.

That ferrari, :lol: If it was as bad as Alonso has said it is he would have ( really) struggled to get it into Q3 and Massa wouldn't have been able to do that, more politics and B/S from Alonso which for me proves he isn't as complete a driver as some think he is. He should just shut up and drive!
I'm really pleased that Vettel won because he deserved it in my opinion, for just shutting his mouth and driving. At one stage wasn't he 40 points behind Alonso (and his "crap" car)
By the way, Nelson Piquet, Ayrton Senna and others were swearing pretty regularly 2 OR 3 decadeS or so ago in F1 "WE F*****IT UP" or something Piquet said..... I suppose it doesn't give anyone else the right to say it but i don't remember this kind of outcry when it was said before.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:17 am 

Congrats to Vettel... Felt like everything was against him. Great title!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:23 am 

Just Phenomenal! Fantastic Season of racing from Sebastian - great drive in Brazil - Stellar Champion x3!!

Sebastian YOU ROCK!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:32 am 

When he got hit by Senna and spun around I almost fell out of my chair. Awesome fight back in a damaged car with no radio, just wow.

also, Alonso looked stunned after the race.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 pm 

Vettel's road to the 2012 WDC

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2879 ... le-part-1/
http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2879 ... le-part-2/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 am 

Stumbled across this old F1.com race edit from 2008 ;) (Monza)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-CTDLhIOzc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am 

260 pages in the Official Kimi thread and only 4 for the guy who's won the title 3 years in a row.

Beggars belief!

Best of luck in 2013 Seb!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:19 am 

http://planet-f1.com/driver/18227/84476 ... tti-trophy

"When you look at the overall performance - qualifying, race wins and the start of the season when things were not really going their way ... all of a sudden, the way he just came back and forced his way to the very top was exemplary of a real champion. He could not be denied."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm 

MikeV1987 wrote:
http://planet-f1.com/driver/18227/8447649/Vettel-awarded-Andretti-trophy

"When you look at the overall performance - qualifying, race wins and the start of the season when things were not really going their way ... all of a sudden, the way he just came back and forced his way to the very top was exemplary of a real champion. He could not be denied."

And as usual with stories on the main page of this site there's already a bunch of comments about how Hamilton or Alonso should have won this award even though they weren't on the ballot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
MikeV1987 wrote:
http://planet-f1.com/driver/18227/8447649/Vettel-awarded-Andretti-trophy

And as usual with stories on the main page of this site there's already a bunch of comments about how Hamilton or Alonso should have won this award even though they weren't on the ballot.

Difficult to win an award when not on a ballot I reckon! Haha, to be fair Vettel's performance was for the most part brilliant. There could be arguments for all three of the drivers getting the award if they were on the ballot. It was only luck that seperated them I believe, they all drove supremely in 2012, but Vettel takes in on merit of getting his third straight title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
260 pages in the Official Kimi thread and only 4 for the guy who's won the title 3 years in a row.

Beggars belief!

:lol: They probably think Vettel is overated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 am 

Did Niki Lauda innadvertantly let slip that he really wanted Seb for the the Mercedes seat?

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... iki-lauda/?

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:59 am 

I don't think it was a slip - no real surprise that the German team would go for the top German talent if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 am 

diablof1 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Beggars belief!

:lol: They probably think Vettel is overated.

If people would supports sports men only by their success, things becomes bit boring a least.
Luckly, we are more (or less) that organic computers, and our likes / dislikes are influenced by bizarre things: Masculinity, aggressiveness, maturity, sexual appeal, alpha status...
Some get it and anothers... no. No matter bothering about it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 am 

Great start of the season so far. Vettel looks mighty. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 am 

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but not new to F1. I've been cheering on Vettel since he was a backup driver for BMW and dominated all of the practice sessions. Can't wait to see what he does in 2013!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:58 pm 

Another PP for Seb. How does he do it?! :-)

Current 2014 Championship standing: Mired in the midfield as usual... 47th

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:03 pm 

In 37% of F1 races he participated, he got the Pole position. This guy is a living legend!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:06 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
In 45,63% of F1 races he participated, he got the Pole position. This guy is a living legend!

Could say that in 60-65% of F1 races he participated in, he had the fastest car.
Second best driver for me, but that statistic is just misleading.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm 

tmzxaar wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
In 45,63% of F1 races he participated, he got the Pole position. This guy is a living legend!

Could say that in 60-65% of F1 races he participated in, he had the fastest car.
Second best driver for me, but that statistic is just misleading.

I made a wrong calculation first and than edited :lol:

But with this order of things he is on his way to fore-mentioned 45.63% and above.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:13 pm 

I don't care how fast your car is. The precision required that would knock 10ths and at times, even 100ths off one's time are what it comes down to many a time. Other times you have changeable conditions or problems directly related to the car (tyres and othe reliability issues). Seb has shown in every circumstance that he can be masterful. He is not perfect - he's failed to pole or even make Q3 at times. But it is really hard to make a case against him when it comes to qualifying. And he gets better all the time...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:26 pm 

I know that the podium interviews are generally an awkward affair for everyone involved, but I was quite surprised at some of Sebastian's comments up there today. Something about being able to remember since the bottle had no champagne in (which nobody found funny) and then talking about how nice it is to have a woman on the podium and then finally something strange about his legs not going up because he is not a woman? Can anyone clarify this or...?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 pm 

Very concerned with public image. Trying to hard -> backfired

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
Bump... So I can merge a topic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:47 pm 

Sebastian Vettel wrote:
. I dont get my legs so high because I am not a woman.

He should learn from Kimi; less is more.

I don't get his ultra over the top reaction to every race win either "yeahhh whoohooo' yababadooo yesyes guys zat is what I'm talkings aboot!!" etc etc lol

FFS you're a grown adult: act like it man.

As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:57 pm 

What a classy gentleman; when spraying was done, he let the girl have the drink and than he. Hats down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm 

seandean41 wrote:
Sebastian Vettel wrote:
. I dont get my legs so high because I am not a woman.

He should learn from Kimi; less is more.

I don't get his ultra over the top reaction to every race win either "yeahhh whoohooo' yababadooo yesyes guys zat is what I'm talkings aboot!!" etc etc lol

FFS you're a grown adult: act like it man.

Couldn't agree more. Someone is yet to become a real man though

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm 

Sharkattack wrote:
I know that the podium interviews are generally an awkward affair for everyone involved, but I was quite surprised at some of Sebastian's comments up there today. Something about being able to remember since the bottle had no champagne in (which nobody found funny) and then talking about how nice it is to have a woman on the podium and then finally something strange about his legs not going up because he is not a woman? Can anyone clarify this or...?

I think it is alright because he recognises the effort of a woman in the team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:13 pm 

For me that was one of Vettel's best ever races.

His overtake on Alonso at the start was the sort of thing I watch F1 for. Aggressive, opportunistic and smart and totally unexpected. It's the best overtake I've seen for a long time.

He was flawless out front. His tyre management, particularly, was superb. He was quicker than everyone, maintained the pace across a stint and was miles ahead of his teammate.

Then he finally showed restraint in the final stint, only setting that fastest lap once instead of pelting along the whole time.

I was saying just prior to the race to my family that Vettel's impatience is IMO both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness - greatest strength because it results in things like his overtake of Alonso at this race and drives like Brazil last year and greatest weakness because he can end up with penalties overtaking people off track and incidents such as with Senna in Abu Dhabi. I was also saying that the negative side of his impatience is probably his last weakness and if he can learn when to harness it and when to curtail it then he'll add a big component to his completeness that will reap results.

He took an enormous step forward today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm 

I just love it when people get pi$$ed off when Vettel wins! Look for the slightest, most irrelevant thing to moan at
He was awesome this weekend

Those that can't, boo

14/11/10 Miracle
09/10/11 Double
25/11/12 Treble
27/10/13 Quadruple

joshb wrote:
I just love it when people get pi$$ed off when Vettel wins! Look for the slightest, most irrelevant thing to moan at
He was awesome this weekend

Yeah - when he's in his groove - ain't nothing stopping him. Immaculate drive today. :thumbup:

Sharkattack wrote:
I know that the podium interviews are generally an awkward affair for everyone involved, but I was quite surprised at some of Sebastian's comments up there today. Something about being able to remember since the bottle had no champagne in (which nobody found funny)

He was having it on with DC a bit because in the past, DC noted more than once while interviewing him that he didn't drink much and tended to speak a bit loopy under the influence of a few swigs of the good stuff.

Quote:
and then talking about how nice it is to have a woman on the podium

He was right about that, usually we just get the grid girls up there and a very occassional presenter. Sauber and Williams don't make it up enough to get their higher placed females on the podium. So it is good to see top teams giving credit to and acknowledging that more women are taking on larger roles in motorsports.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:40 am 

I was wondering if there's an official thread. i honestly love it when he wins and forumers all frown and go crazy... reminds me of good old Schumacher days :P

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 am 

garagetinkerer wrote:
I was wondering if there's an official thread. i honestly love it when he wins and forumers all frown and go crazy... reminds me of good old Schumacher days :P

Yeah, me too.

I take a secret pleasure in the whole situation, as well.

In a thread at the start of the 2007 season, when Vettel was still a tester for the BMW, I had said as an outlandish prediction that I believed Vettel would win a WDC with Red Bull in 2009 or 2010. This was based on the fact that Theissen, who I felt was a very shrewd operator, had backed him to test for them at such a young age and with such little experience and that given he was effectively on loan from Red Bull to BMW as part of their young driver development program he would either get a race seat at BMW before going to Red Bull or be placed in the Toro Rosso for a couple of years instead. It was also based on the fact that I felt Red Bull's investment in Newey and other members of the team would pay off by that point. My goodness do I wish I had screen-shotted that.

Back in 2007 after I saw him drive in the BMW in Indy I believed that my outlandish-but-based-on-reasonable-possibilities prediction was perhaps more correct than I had thought. Not just because of the driving display but because of the intelligent and confident way he conducted his race. Most drivers given an opportunity like that tend to overdrive and make a meal or things or get utterly intimidated and trundle around. Vettel may have been able to finish one place higher, but he seemed to recognise that the risks of trying to do that outweighed any possible benefit. His driving was good, too: comparable to his vastly more experienced teammate.

Then when he was in the Toro Rosso I was blown away by his drive to fourth place in China. Again, it wasn't just the driving. It was the fact that the week before he'd made a massive and stupid error and cost himself a potential podium and there had been pictures of him sobbing in the back of the garage. For him to shrug that off and come back and drive in China in only his first few races was mature, wise and confident beyond his years. I believed he also had the potential to become one of the greats.

I started talking on the forum about how impressive he was and how much success I thought he'd achieve and I was practically laughed off it. At the time it was all about how Hamilton was going to be the greatest thing ever and break every record known to Formula 1. Then a poster pulled up my prediction from the beginning of the year, called me utterly delusional and said that if I really believed what I was saying I should put my money where my mouth is. So I did. And after Abu Dhabi 2010 I was most certainly the one who had the last laugh, all the way to the bank.

Vettel has proven to be everything that I thought he was as a racing driver, from a driving perspective and a bigger picture one. All the skills he has displayed I believed he had and I have taken so much joy as he has dispelled criticism and pronounced weakness after criticism and pronounced weakness. And I thoroughly enjoy sitting back and rubbing my hands together as he proves me right time and time again. By the end of 2011 I had complete faith in him and the greatest joy I get supporting him is sitting back and knowing that whatever challenge or obstacle is thrown his way he will do everything to overcome it and whatever opportunity is presented won't go to waste. I felt that way with Schumacher and I never believed I'd get it again. It's very special to have complete confidence in the driver you support; I think so anyway.

I love seeing people perform at the top of their game, whatever the discipline. I feel privileged to have watched Schumacher and I feel privileged to be watching Vettel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 am 

He's an amazing talent. He's got the car to show it too. Every driver in that situation gets pummeled by the masses. Then if the car has a poor year or the driver is off for whatever reason, they become beloved again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm 

Jo_ wrote:
garagetinkerer wrote:

Yeah, me too.

I take a secret pleasure in the whole situation, as well.

In a thread at the start of the 2007 season, when Vettel was still a tester for the BMW, I had said as an outlandish prediction that I believed Vettel would win a WDC with Red Bull in 2009 or 2010. This was based on the fact that Theissen, who I felt was a very shrewd operator, had backed him to test for them at such a young age and with such little experience and that given he was effectively on loan from Red Bull to BMW as part of their young driver development program he would either get a race seat at BMW before going to Red Bull or be placed in the Toro Rosso for a couple of years instead. It was also based on the fact that I felt Red Bull's investment in Newey and other members of the team would pay off by that point. My goodness do I wish I had screen-shotted that.

Back in 2007 after I saw him drive in the BMW in Indy I believed that my outlandish-but-based-on-reasonable-possibilities prediction was perhaps more correct than I had thought. Not just because of the driving display but because of the intelligent and confident way he conducted his race. Most drivers given an opportunity like that tend to overdrive and make a meal or things or get utterly intimidated and trundle around. Vettel may have been able to finish one place higher, but he seemed to recognise that the risks of trying to do that outweighed any possible benefit. His driving was good, too: comparable to his vastly more experienced teammate.

Then when he was in the Toro Rosso I was blown away by his drive to fourth place in China. Again, it wasn't just the driving. It was the fact that the week before he'd made a massive and stupid error and cost himself a potential podium and there had been pictures of him sobbing in the back of the garage. For him to shrug that off and come back and drive in China in only his first few races was mature, wise and confident beyond his years. I believed he also had the potential to become one of the greats.

I started talking on the forum about how impressive he was and how much success I thought he'd achieve and I was practically laughed off it. At the time it was all about how Hamilton was going to be the greatest thing ever and break every record known to Formula 1. Then a poster pulled up my prediction from the beginning of the year, called me utterly delusional and said that if I really believed what I was saying I should put my money where my mouth is. So I did. And after Abu Dhabi 2010 I was most certainly the one who had the last laugh, all the way to the bank.

Vettel has proven to be everything that I thought he was as a racing driver, from a driving perspective and a bigger picture one. All the skills he has displayed I believed he had and I have taken so much joy as he has dispelled criticism and pronounced weakness after criticism and pronounced weakness. And I thoroughly enjoy sitting back and rubbing my hands together as he proves me right time and time again. By the end of 2011 I had complete faith in him and the greatest joy I get supporting him is sitting back and knowing that whatever challenge or obstacle is thrown his way he will do everything to overcome it and whatever opportunity is presented won't go to waste. I felt that way with Schumacher and I never believed I'd get it again. It's very special to have complete confidence in the driver you support; I think so anyway.

I love seeing people perform at the top of their game, whatever the discipline. I feel privileged to have watched Schumacher and I feel privileged to be watching Vettel.

I wasn't paying much attention in '07... partly because i was shocked at how Michael was ousted(there's no other way to put it). I don't pay much attention to "up and coming" drivel in most articles, as usually, it is just that. There have been very few newcomers who have shocked proper. Lewis for one did... but then again, he had the full support of the team from the get go. I mean JV did reasonably well at Williams in a great car with some support and i wonder what if he had moved to McLaren instead of BAR... Nevermind. I have to say it is very impressive that you did notice as much as you mention...

I wonder how much influence Michael has had on him. Michael was also known to have some (people are going to have a hard time believing this) emotional outbursts. As impossible as it seemed to most of the world, Michael was rather emotional, but he was rather private. Not just that, he was also very intelligent. He perhaps was the one who took the mantle from the Professor. You could see how he would control the race. No one believed him when he mentioned after the race at Catalunya that he spent most of it stuck in 5th. Stopping 4 times to Alonso's 3 (Alonso was in a faster car for that matter), to win French GP '04 was also impressive. Vettel shows similar streaks of a genius. Plus, the way he charges through the end of a campaign is phenomenal. Infact, i'm not so certain (old and senile, so don't remember much) but he perhaps may be the best ever so far in that respect.

He makes everyone look pedestrian when it comes to one lap pace. 38 poles! I think he may beat Schumacher's 68. Webber had a proper reputation for being a qualifying specialist before he was paired with Vettel. Now everyone discounts Webber as if he's nothing, and always has been. Which is a shame, but then that is what tells you how much of an impact Vettel is having on the viewing public. I for one think that no matter what he accomplishes, some people (Lewis/ Alonso/ Kimi fans primarily) will always be crying hoarse about how he is ordinary(he isn't!). I enjoy coming here when he wins poles/ races/ WDCs and see people rant about how it was all Newey.

To tell you something else, i'm mentally prepared for reading rants over here as he wins his 4th. :D

4) Lauda
5) Brabham

if you don't like it, too bad! There's a reason why it says "My Top 5"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm 

I think Seb has been brilliant in the last 3 years.
He is maturing well.
IMO I think Schumi(huge fan) has handed him his crown.
He just gets better every race
Go Seb
Looking forward to Barcelona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:12 pm 

What can we say? A legend in making.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:26 pm 

Great drive. But Saturday qualifying was even more impressive than the race. He was absolutely on top of his game in the rain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:34 pm 

Great season so far for Seb this year....hoping so bad he can make it for in a row! Then, if he can possibly make it to another three, he will have matched Michael Schumacher's 7 titles before he's even passed the age of 30. It will be tough. Good luck to him and RBR for the year :) so proud to be a fan!