planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:30 pm 

The bloke is just amazing... The only time the RB is the fastest is when its wet/damp.
Not the best in qualy
Not the best in races

but close enough and Seb is doing the job so far

Kimi's worst 3 races = 9 points
Alonso's worst 3 races = 10 points
Seb's worst 3 races = 39 points

Those that can't, boo

14/11/10 Miracle
09/10/11 Double
25/11/12 Treble
27/10/13 Quadruple

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:31 pm 

Also, Seb has now claimed the outright record for most successive races without a DNF caused by a crash!
Turkey 2010 was the last time hw RETIRED due to collision

Those that can't, boo

14/11/10 Miracle
09/10/11 Double
25/11/12 Treble
27/10/13 Quadruple

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 am 

Seb is Brilliant. But not only when he wins - he is a brilliant driver in general. Remarkable for his age.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 am 

Apparently there was at least one Seb fan who I'm sure didn't boo him and she was rewarded profusely for that. :D

A Montreal fan holding a "Seb Marry Me" poster gets unexpectedly pulled out of the crowd to meet Seb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:04 am 

It has happened - Alonso has complimented Vettel. How's that for a change? :)

Quote:
"I think he [Vettel] is doing a fantastic job in all the races," he said. "He has been nearly perfect with no down races, always performing well in qualifying and with very good races.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:17 am 

mds wrote:

Quote:
"I think he [Vettel] is doing a fantastic job in all the races," he said. "He has been nearly perfect with no down races, always performing well in qualifying and with very good races.

Yes, and Hamilton then backed up what Alonso said. I'm lost for words, I never thought we'd see the day. Seb's officially been accepted by the drivers as one of the big fish.

Still not sure it actually happened haha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:46 pm 

Myst wrote:
mds wrote:

Quote:

Yes, and Hamilton then backed up what Alonso said. I'm lost for words, I never thought we'd see the day. Seb's officially been accepted by the drivers as one of the big fish.

Still not sure it actually happened haha

I don't think the youngest 3 time WDC in the history of the sport needs endorsements from anyone...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:41 pm 

No he doesn't. It's just a surprise for me to actually see some praise from Alonso. I don't remember one instance of him doing that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:43 pm 

When the going gets tough..

The tough get going..

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm 

Great drive Seb.. Through all the jeering.. Classy reactions and a classy interview. :nod: :thumbup: :proud: :smug:

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:24 pm 

Seb is such a class act. I had no idea what I was in for when I became a fan in 2006 - but it has been one wild, crazy and fun ride.

The jeers are awesome - I learned that as a Chicago Bulls fan. We got booed all the time at certain venues - until we stopped winning. You have no idea how much I craved hearing those boos again. So yeah, I've learned to love the jeers and boos - and appreciate them for what they really mean.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 am 

I wish this guy wins the WDC this year just to annoy all the haters. He doesn't deserve all the hate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:24 pm 

beyamei wrote:
I wish this guy wins the WDC this year just to annoy all the haters. He doesn't deserve all the hate.

How a person can be that vastly misunderstood.... Thankfully he's coping with them well. For me it's so absurd that it takes away a lot of joy.

He did this for those 'fans'.

(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 770&type=1)

Top comment "I was there. Seb was absolutely brilliant. Ok his drumming isn't as good as his racing but he took the heckles of the crowd when he came on stage, broke the ice by making the crowd laugh, tried soooo hard on the drums, said nice things about Mark, then asked the crowd to boo while he took a photo! And the crowd loved it. All this is front of a British crowd hoping he'd lose (well a lot of them - not me or the hundreds of other Seb fans I saw!!) after a dnf 10 laps from the end. The guy is an absolute legend and I'm so proud to call myself a Seb fan"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 am 

seesaw wrote:
beyamei wrote:

How a person can be that vastly misunderstood.... Thankfully he's coping with them well. For me it's so absurd that it takes away a lot of joy.

Top comment "I was there. Seb was absolutely brilliant. Ok his drumming isn't as good as his racing but he took the heckles of the crowd when he came on stage, broke the ice by making the crowd laugh, tried soooo hard on the drums, said nice things about Mark, then asked the crowd to boo while he took a photo! And the crowd loved it. All this is front of a British crowd hoping he'd lose (well a lot of them - not me or the hundreds of other Seb fans I saw!!) after a dnf 10 laps from the end. The guy is an absolute legend and I'm so proud to call myself a Seb fan"

Brilliant comment. I, too, was there, cheering him on in my t-shirt and cap :D he really takes a lot of flack, doesn't he? His strength and ability to block out anything but doing well and not let things drag him down is really quite inspirational. The man is just unbreakable.

Best thing is - is rivals know it :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:17 pm 

SH1348 wrote:
seesaw wrote:
beyamei wrote:

Brilliant comment. I, too, was there, cheering him on in my t-shirt and cap :D he really takes a lot of flack, doesn't he? His strength and ability to block out anything but doing well and not let things drag him down is really quite inspirational. The man is just unbreakable.

Best thing is - is rivals know it :D

I have absolutely no idea any of this happened, lots of respect to him for this, a lot of drivers would have refused to go out infront of an audience which cheered at his retirement. I was worried when it started at Oz that he might respond badly to it. But he is, it seems, unbreakable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 pm 

I read some debate about Seb's '08 Monza win in a Ferrari topic. I'll put this here, as I'd be totally digressing from the main subject there.

>> About the car being set up for wet conditions, in the post race press conference Vettel explicitly said it wasn't the case.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/9/8387.html
Quote:
Q: Talk us through your race and being so much quicker in the speed trap.
SV: Well, for the speed trap I think there is an explanation. We didn't go for a more downforce configuration, thinking it might be dry today, so we stuck to the dry level and didn't touch it, so on the straight lines we were bloody fast compared to all the others.

Q: Your feelings about your strategy, when you were looking at the race yesterday, your early pit stop as well. It seemed to work very well.
SV: Yeah, I think we made the right choice yesterday. As I said yesterday, when you're a bit smarter and looking at the speed traps, we didn't set the car up for rain conditions. I was thinking that today was going to be a dry race. Obviously it was not, especially at the beginning. We were on a usual dry set-up to be honest. We had a lot of speed in a straight line, obviously.

>> About 'it's a Newey car', I'm not saying this is the be-all and end-all opinion but at least it's coming from someone who knows what he's talking about.

Alfonso de Orleans-Borbon, founder and team principal of Racing Engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_Engineering) team and worked with Vettel at one point (http://jalopnik.com/5865329/f1-champ-se ... -he-was-17):
Quote:
Comment #1 The chassis could have been designed by Newey, but the rest, especially the aero package, which does make a massive difference, was not. Also the whole rear of the car is designed for a different engine, which Red Bull had no input, especially since different engine contracts prohibit any interaction or technical exchange. So yes, Newey designed maybe 25%, but the other 75% was done by Ascanelli and Tost. In engineering terms that means that it was not designed by Newey, even if he contributed.

Another point to keep in mind, remember that Red Bull and Toro Rosso were and still are two separate teams. Which means that everything is done in-house, including all engineering work for set ups and race strategies. Newey had no input with that either, which drops his final contribution with Toro Rosso compared to Red Bull to probably less than 10% total. That is a huge difference.

Comment #2 Launch is one thing, end of year race is another. Compare both cars when Vettel won. During the season Ascanelli did all the updates and most important, the Setups, which is what really affects the car. Remember, many things on the cars needed to be changed were purely done by Torro Rosso. NO input from Newey.

Keep in mind that if they were really the same cars, the results should have been better, no?

As for engine change, it does change the handling and the rear of the car DOES need to be redesigned. What Brawn did was fantastic. But they also had a head start and started to redesign way ahead of time. Remember, Honda pretty much told them a year ahead of time they were leaving. Ross Brawn did not sit around. By the time you hear a team do an engine deal, usually they have been working on it for quite a while.

Saying that, Ascanelli surely had enough time to redesign the rear of the car. Obviously he did a pretty good job. I have a lot of respect for him.

Comment #3 Every track is different. Many different tire compounds. Different weather, temperatures, etc. Even Fuel or strategy influence choices. So every session of the weekend has different setups. Saying that, Newey, influences all these at Red Bull...but so does the driver...So there is no specific set up, unlike other categories which might just change tire pressures, ride heights and cambers only. Although surely those change from session to session too if you want to be competitive.

Although to be fair, engineers, especially Newey, or Ascanelli when he was at Torro Rosso, work out a setup window for the different scenario for each session before even arriving at the track. In GP2, which is a slightly simpler car, we do the same. At this level of racing, no one has a specific setup for the season. The car would never win races, or if it did, it was down to dumb luck. These things need constant tweaking. Just look at free practice, they could go through 10 or so changes just in one session trying to find how the car reacts at that specific moment!

If Newey designed all the cars on the grid, and separate engineers then ran each of them, including aero, geometry and mechanical updates during the year, and were then all driven by the same driver under the same conditions at the end of the season, there would be a clear order for each car. So an engineer and how he sets up a car, including all evolutions, make a big difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:49 pm 

As a side note, for Autosport subscribers http://plus.autosport.com/premium/featu ... -attitude/

How F3 transformed Vettel's attitude - 'a chat with the man (Mucke's technical chief, Peter Fluckiger) who oversaw Sebastian Vettel's F3 rookie year and calmed the 'headstrong teenager' who would become a legend'

I strongly recommend the article to Vettel fans. A few excerpts
Quote:
"The problem with Sebastian was he was a star in BMW."

"When you win so many races you are never admitting really that somebody else is quicker, and he did so well that he wanted to keep going like he had. He told me always, 'We did it like this in BMW.' And I would say, 'You are doing Formula 3 now – maybe you have to do it different. There are many more things you can do to the car, and you have to learn a different way.'

"I think he was just not aware that he was coming now to such a competitive series."

"I remember qualifying for the first round at Hockenheim. Sebastian qualified third and he really was upset about this. We were happy because he was by far the best rookie; he wanted to be P1."

"But he learned it was a hard series. Later in the year he qualified fifth at Zandvoort and we had made a mistake changing something on the car, and I said to him, 'I'm really sorry, it was our mistake.' And he said, 'Hey, it's Formula 3, fifth is still good and we know what we did wrong, we can still improve,' and he was second in the race."

"His car feeling was very good already. At the time we did a lot of development in dampers and things like this, and we did some testing with him. Our damper guys wanted to run something different, and we were in a bit of a fight with them. They wanted to go another way, and then we went to the seven-post rig and it was the setting that Sebastian wanted that was the best.", "We still use a form of that today."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:37 am 

Good stuff seesaw, both of those posts.
Obviously the discussion in the Ferrari topic has died down (and was very off-topic I admit), but I'd like Andres125sx to come in and indicate why he's so adamant Vettel was running a specific wet setup at Monza 2008.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:33 am 

I don't have time following other motorsport fourms, but at this, Vettel is not only unapreciated, but often grossly undermined and ridiculled. Not to mention the "I wish Vettel this and that" brigade.

Just a short reminder to all fellow Vettel fans, no matter how few we are - Sebastian reigns in F1 since the time when Button was the champion with Brawn 2009, and he leads the current championship by a nice margin. We have nothing to be ashamed for. GO VETTEL :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:55 am 

It is true, no matter what is said about Vettel, he remains the youngest ever 3 time champion. That is amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:59 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
I don't have time following other motorsport fourms, but at this, Vettel is not only unapreciated, but often grossly undermined and ridiculled. Not to mention the "I wish Vettel this and that" brigade.

Just a short reminder to all fellow Vettel fans, no matter how few we are - Sebastian reigns in F1 since the time when Button was the champion with Brawn 2009, and he leads the current championship by a nice margin. We have nothing to be ashamed for. GO VETTEL :)

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm 

Vettel does it again! 31st victory!

Yippieeeee!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:57 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Yippieeeee!

Great drive. :nod:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:07 pm 

Good win for Seb today. I wish the races would be more thrilling though..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 pm 

Vettel isn't exactly a favourit of mine but congratulations to him.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Yippieeeee!

Bit of statistics: level with Mansell at 31 (who drove some great cars too), one to go for Fernando.
His winning percentage is even approaching that of Schumacher now. It won't be for this season though, for that he would have to win 5 more races out of the following 9. That won't happen :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:01 am 

It might very well happen, remember last year when he won 4 in a row the second half of the season.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
It might very well happen, remember last year when he won 4 in a row the second half of the season.

Singapore, Japan, Korea, India, Abu Dhabi and Sao Paulo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:53 am 

mds wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Yippieeeee!

Bit of statistics: level with Mansell at 31 (who drove some great cars too), one to go for Fernando.
His winning percentage is even approaching that of Schumacher now. It won't be for this season though, for that he would have to win 5 more races out of the following 9. That won't happen :)

OK, so now that would be 4 races out of 8. It looks more likely than 1 race ago, still a tall order.

Vettel has now surpassed Mansell, is equal with Alonso. Looking one place higher, it's Senna with 9 wins more at 41. Obviously that will take quite a while, and for me it'll be strange to see that happening since Senna is, for me, the greatest.

Good race at the supposed weakest track for RBR. 175 points on the table and he's leading Alonso with 53 points and Hamilton with more than 80.

Only 7 points bigger difference and Alonso gives up! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:00 am 

mds wrote:
Vettel has now surpassed Mansell, is equal with Alonso. Looking one place higher, it's Senna with 9 wins more at 41. Obviously that will take quite a while, and for me it'll be strange to see that happening since Senna is, for me, the greatest.

My prediction for what its worth, Vettel could easily win another 4 races this year.... all depends how competative Mercedes are which we will see at Singapore, that race will set the tone for the remainder of the season IMO.

Next year Red Bull will struggle & Vettel will have a year or two in a car incapable of winning the championship, he may pick up a win or two per season. We will see him match Senna in 2016.

Shot in the dark but if im right I will be using this post as my signature for years ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am 

Now that the title is in the bag, RBR should put the teams fully on 2014.

Vettel will have to screw up majorly to lose from here

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 am 

I fully agree. It might mean he scores a few wins less, but it's far more important to win a title with 8 wins and be at the front the following year, than to win a title with 10 wins and be in the midfield next year.

I'm sure they'll realise this too.

edit: Alonso is the only real contender anyway and Ferrari have stated they will switch fully to the 2014 car at the end of September - which means one more race.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:07 am 

Although I am a devoted Kimi fan, I would just like to say how much I admire both Sebs driving ability and the way he is coping with the ridiculous booing that is happening at the end of each race - he does'nt deserve it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:59 pm 

SV is now tied with FA for wins, and very close to breaking the record for youngest four time WDC.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 pm 

Booooo...

:)

Martin Brundle: "Alonso's like a magician. He keeps pulling something out of the hat, when there isn't anything in the hat."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 pm 

A race of pure perfection today. Perfectly in tune with the car and circuit, and absolute domination as a result. Didn't have the best start, but grabbed the opportunity to get back at Rosberg without blinking and built on that. The second stint was amazing. Even though not pitting probably made it a lot harder, he did what he had to do. It was refreshing to hear the call from Rocky to "use the fuel" and absolutely drive the hell out of that car.

60 points over Alonso, almost 100 over Hamilton and Raikkonen. With 150 points still on the table, it seems the WDC can only evade him in case of enduring mechanical problems.

Something I never expected to see happen again is starting to become a possibility now: with 7 race wins and 6 races to go, and the RBR looking so mighty and dominant, he might just equal the 11 race wins he scored in 2011.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:57 pm 

ColdWinter wrote:
SV is now tied with FA for wins, and very close to breaking the record for youngest four time WDC.

More wins in just a bit over half races....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm 

Formula Vettel :D

When you see how good he drives, how well he handles the presure and how he deals with that disgraceful booing - so good to be his supporter!

Keep those victories coming, Seb! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 pm 

I imagine Vettel fans being somewhat like Manchester united fans or any top leading team fans.

(They've never been to Manchester, nor know anything about it apart from old Trafford)

Basically a glory supporter. Anyone who is English and supports this guy needs to be deported, I just don't see the logical sense. Let me explain why.

1) The company, it's an energy drinks company, not a car manufacturer.
2) It's natural you want to see your own countrymen win.

I can't even be bothered to finish my post off

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:34 pm 

Bollard wrote:
I imagine Vettel fans being somewhat like Manchester united fans or any top leading team fans.

(They've never been to Manchester, nor know anything about it apart from old Trafford)

Basically a glory supporter. Anyone who is English and supports this guy needs to be deported, I just don't see the logical sense. Let me explain why.

1) The company, it's an energy drinks company, not a car manufacturer.
2) It's natural you want to see your own countrymen win.

I can't even be bothered to finish my post off

Go Vettel. :D