planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:31 am 

Good to see Bob will be back at it, rally is his passion, even if it almost killed him, and who knows what the future could hold.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 am 

He's back! :]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 am 

Every time I think of it my heart sinks. I really do hope that he finds a purpose in life beyond F1.

The esteemed surgeon who worked on him said very early on that he wouldn't be driving again and, much as we all wish otherwise, that is likely to be an informed and accurate prognosis.

I would rather he found a purpose and lived a fulfilling and happy life than spend years chasing a dream that can't happen.

*Driving in F1 that is!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:36 am 
From the article: " An interesting fact is that the shift lever in the car is to be mounted on the left handlebar", which suggests his right arm is still problematical.

It's good that he can come back and try rallies and he might even get a 'For Old Time's Sake' run in an F1 car (a bit like Zanardi did to complete the 13 laps of Lausitzring), but he's never going to drive in an F1 race again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 am 

vince14 wrote:
From the article: " An interesting fact is that the shift lever in the car is to be mounted on the left handlebar", which suggests his right arm is still problematical.

It's good that he can come back and try rallies and he might even get a 'For Old Time's Sake' run in an F1 car (a bit like Zanardi did to complete the 13 laps of Lausitzring), but he's never going to drive in an F1 race again.

You never know...

Surely a 70% fit Kubica is a better bet than a 100% Narain...

Still think he's got a way to go, and I reckon that by doing rallying is his way of getting himself moving towards seeing whether he can return to the top level.

Kind of like how a footballer starts his time after injury by playing for the reserve team for a few games...

We'll see how this develops.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:06 am 

vince14 wrote:

subaru impreza wrc is using the same system for shifting as f1 car, they are not going to make any changes to that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am 
Gothalamide wrote:
vince14 wrote:

You never know...

Surely a 70% fit Kubica is a better bet than a 100% Narain...

Still think he's got a way to go, and I reckon that by doing rallying is his way of getting himself moving towards seeing whether he can return to the top level.

Kind of like how a footballer starts his time after injury by playing for the reserve team for a few games...

We'll see how this develops.

:D :D :D

You're seriously underestimating how close the level of talent is. I'd say that the difference between Alonso and Karthikeyan is less than 5% i.e. if you put Alonso and Karthikeyan in the same car they would be within 5% of each other on a regular basis. After all, Karthikeyan regularly gets within 7% of the pole sitter in each race despite being in an inferior car. And at the top, the margin is even less. So if Kubica came back at 98% of his previous level, and was put in this year's Ferrari, he probably wouldn't be any better than Massa is.

I know he had a great talent and was well liked, but people need to accept that F1 is done for him. His arm was almost severed in the accident, and it will take a very long time for all the nerve connections to work correctly again. The simple fact is that no-one has been able to come back successfully from similar levels of injury (Nannini & Donnelly).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:18 pm 

Sarhan wrote:
He's back! :]

Talking about BIG BALLS!

What to do in order to win? Face the thing that almost killed you!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm 

It's actually not a given he'll start tomorrow as they might not have the car ready but next week seems to be 100 %

Quote:
AUTOSPORT understands that it is not yet certain whether his car, a Subaru Impreza WRC, will be ready in time for the two-day rally, but if it is not his comeback event will be the the Rally San Martino di Castorzza the weekend after.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:46 am 

HE'S BACK AND HE'S DOING THIS:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:52 am 

And this :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:02 am 

According to Sky TV in Italy Bob is targeting a return to F1 in 2014, in 2012 WRC is the target apparently.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:06 am 

Speed~Racer wrote:
According to Sky TV in Italy Bob is targeting a return to F1 in 2014, in 2012 WRC is the target apparently.

That would be 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 am 

Sarhan wrote:
Speed~Racer wrote:

That would be 2013.

Lol, yes good point;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:29 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCtY6y4D ... r_embedded

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:28 pm 

Good he is back! It will give him extra BOOST of Confidence and I hope he will be back in F1 in 2014 :) ...although I would prefer him back in F1 in 2013 :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:40 pm 

another very short piece of Robert preperations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI5eIyMenfE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm 

Kubica in F1 sooner than 2014?

Kubica now claims that he was misunderstood and his target is not 2014 but "as soon as possible" and he does not think about WRC but about F1...I am confused:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... omosc.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:45 pm 

DeeSee2 wrote:
Kubica in F1 sooner than 2014?

Kubica now claims that he was misunderstood and his target is not 2014 but "as soon as possible" and he does not think about WRC but about F1...I am confused:

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... omosc.html

I'm not sure it should be understood that way. I think he just denied that he'd indicated 2014 as his f1 comeback time, simply because he could not precisely anticipate anything. What he said though was that he would try to be in the best shape in 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:14 pm 

Apologies if already posted (not in English).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqhBqKssJqg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:54 pm 

This picture makes me happy:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:16 pm 

I've watched some video, photos and interviews and no matter what people say... he looks amazingly happy. And that is the most encouraging thing I take from this.
I still hope for a return to F1 but as it is now, it's great to see Robert enjoying his time behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:59 am 

he's 11 secs ahead of everybody after the first stage, and its a short stage as well. I did not expect him to have such a good pace straight away after 20 months

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 am 

cmon robert , we miss you in F1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:18 am 

stren wrote:
he's 11 secs ahead of everybody after the first stage, and its a short stage as well. I did not expect him to have such a good pace straight away after 20 months

Wow! :)

I believe his rallying has also marketing value as he wants to show F1 teams: "Look at me - still there where I was!"
...at least in terms of speed and mentall focus. There is still issue of his hand but if everything else is in place I am sure they can figure out something for him in F1 car(modifications). He just needs to work on his elbow as it seems to bend not much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:41 am 

Kubica has got to be worth a punt for the right F1 team. A one year Ferrari or Williams contract, perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:06 am 

Results:

http://www.cronometristi.net/public/ris ... DDA106.HTM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:02 am 

Kubica wins another stage! This time by 16 seconds :)

http://www.cronometristi.net/public/ris ... DDA111.HTM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:19 pm 

Photo of Robert's right arm:

http://twitpic.com/ast7yr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:41 pm 

looks like he's back to me :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:45 pm 

1, 2, 3, 4 - won! :) All stages by BIG margin :) I know they are amateurs but still...Robert is in his finest form - mentally. If only that hand!...But maybe they will find a solution for him...such talent can't be wasted outside F1

http://www.cronometristi.net/public/ris ... DDA121.HTM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:09 pm 

fieldstvl wrote:
Photo of Robert's right arm:

http://twitpic.com/ast7yr

http://m.ocdn.eu/_m/9575403f72c22ca9ea2 ... 7,12,1.jpg

It looks like his fingers in right hand are not 100% normal...apparently he can not control them as he would like. But not bad afterall. His mental fitness is right there as I can see :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm 

Some video footage... I keep hoping.
[url]
http://webtv.ivg.it/2012/09/09/robert-k ... a-polacco/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:07 pm 

6_Tenths wrote:
Some video footage... I keep hoping.
[url]
http://webtv.ivg.it/2012/09/09/robert-k ... a-polacco/

He seems to be so happy :) I hope rally will boost his motivation and will help him become stronger and more fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:44 pm 

Strange question I suppose, but one i've been wondering about - is Rober still paid or sponsored? How has he been supporting himself during the recovery? Does he have private wealth? (I assume he had a large insurance payout as well).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 pm 

Rory wrote:
Strange question I suppose, but one i've been wondering about - is Rober still paid or sponsored? How has he been supporting himself during the recovery? Does he have private wealth? (I assume he had a large insurance payout as well).

I'd imagine he can scrape up a few millions from his F1 days

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:47 pm 

Onboard from his first comeback rally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB0YiPrcq-0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 pm 

Campione di Simpatia ;)
Forza Kubica!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56 pm 

vince14 wrote:
I'd say that the difference between Alonso and Karthikeyan is less than 5% i.e. if you put Alonso and Karthikeyan in the same car they would be within 5% of each other on a regular basis. After all, Karthikeyan regularly gets within 7% of the pole sitter in each race despite being in an inferior car. And at the top, the margin is even less. So if Kubica came back at 98% of his previous level, and was put in this year's Ferrari, he probably wouldn't be any better than Massa is.

I know he had a great talent and was well liked, but people need to accept that F1 is done for him.

True, though driver's ability isn't defined by the fitness of his right hand/arm. Assuming that he recovers to a level allowing him to pass all the mandatory tests and drive the car (which according to Dr Rosello is quite possible*), one has to wonder how much would having an not fully fit hand affect laptimes etc. I think the answer is far from being simple and obvious. Only time will tell. I'm afraid the odds are against Kubica, but I;m also quite sure there's a real possibility.

* He said that he estimates Robert's hand as 50% fit, but with more rehabilitation 75-80% should be achieved, which would be "perfectly adequate" to think about driving an F1 car.
It's the second time recently that the doctor who performed Robert's surgeries and is in quite frequent contact with him says with a lot of confidence that Robert should be able to do it. I hope he knows what he is saying :)

DeeSee2 wrote:
1, 2, 3, 4 - won! :) All stages by BIG margin :) I know they are amateurs but still...Robert is in his finest form - mentally. If only that hand!...But maybe they will find a solution for him...such talent can't be wasted outside F1

I don't know if amateur is the best word (may be, may be not), though surely not close to top tier. But they had the advantage of knowing the stage a lot better and more experience in WRC cars (possibly a lot more) and they guy in the S14 Impreza was the previous year winner so Robert's rivals from that rally shouldn't be underestimated :) TBH I didn't expect Robert to beat them so easily straight away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 pm 
3rd rally already - this man means serious business 8O

Quote:
F1-comeback in 2014 is Kubica's wish

F1 | Turun Sanomat 09:55

F1-driver Robert Kubica is still dreaming of a comeback to the royal class in motorsport, as are his fans also.

Kubica has after about 20 surgeries and a long and demanding rehabilitation program got in such a good condition, that he is going to participate in his third rally in Italy next weekend.

Kubica's second rally in San Martino ended up in retirement a couple of weeks ago. Kubica went off the road twice with his Subaru WRC-car and couldn't finish the rally.

– I made rookie-mistakes on the slippery road, the 28-year old dare devil admitted.

He did however avoid injuries, which got thousands of Polish F1-fans to sigh with relief.

– I believe that Robert can still grab the F1-car's steering wheel with industrious hands, a 30-year old fan chats in a café in Warsaw center.

The Italian surgeon Igor Rossello, who has performed many difficult surgeries on Kubica, guesses that his patient's right hand works only 50 %.

A lot about the hand's condition can be told by how the Polish driver writes autographs with his left hand.

– Unfortunately not even an efficient and long rehabilitation can heal Kubica's hand completely, Rossello guessed in an interview with Super Express.

Rossello emphasizes that Kubica's elbow joint, which is supported by an artificial limb, has much more room to steer a rally car than a cramped F1-car.

– At this moment it's difficult to predict whether Robert can fully take part in a F1-race, the surgeon says.

Kubica has however already accepted that his arm might in the worst case scenario heal only up to 80 %.

– I still dream about a comeback to F1-tracks maybe already in year 2014. I'm prepared to go through several surgical operations, Kubica said.

Turun Sanomat, Varsova

MATTI HOVISEPPÄ

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/394 ... n+haaveena