planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:19 am 

Regardless of the speculation regarding how well Robert may or not be regarding the hand, assuming all is well, I have a feeling that Kimis return could have an impact to how teams view Robert.

If Kimi comes back strong this season then it will bode well for Robert, if he flops then I suspect Robert will be finished in F1. Although they have been out for completely different reasons and assuming Robert can get back for next season, they would both have been out for 2 seasons. Kimi had lost his mojo in 09 and was not at his best but I feel he has a passion back and will try harder this season. If Kimi tries and fails then I reckon people will say that is too long out to base any past success on future success. If Kimi does well I see people thinking about Robert if he can prove his fitness.

There is a big mark over the fitness atm though. The second leg break is bound to be a worry. The hand is also a cause for concern. IF the pictures posted above are from this year then the one thing I don't see as a worry is the head state.

Massa became a shadow of his former self after his accident, but to be fair he didn't see the accident or know what went wrong. He was driving on a straight then woke in hospital. Robert knows what went wrong and witnessed the accident before hospital in the rally and knows just how much safer F1 cars are. Plus I just see Robert as tougher in the mind, could have died in Canada after that massive accident then went on to win at the same circuit, says a lot for the head state IMO.

If he HAS been testing the Skoda again that shows f***ing guts. I can't find any decent reliable accounts that I trust to say the pics posted are from 2012 and not before the accident, he can't be long out of plaster after the second break after all.

While trying to verify the photos posted above I did come across the following link in which they tried to replicate the accident in real life not using CGI . Using the same type barriers on a copy of the corner of Roberts accident they ran the same type Skoda at the same assumed speed at the same angle in to them. Just shows how LUCKY he was to get away with a partially severed hand not a severed head. This is a real car trying to replicate the accident, not the accident itself, and it is automated, no people involved, yet it still makes me cringe thinking about what could have happened looking at it.

http://www.inowroclaw.pl/multimedia/show/id/65/junk/symulacja_wypadku_Roberta_Kubicy.html

I've lost what I was trying to say now after seeing that, a fraction off how he hit and it would have been RIP Robert!!

I think what I was trying to say he is strong in the head so it is down to the body and the layoff. I guess Kimi has kept the fitness up and been healthy so if he fails to adapt then Robert is doomed. If Robert really can get back to fitness after all this time, which is the biggest issue, and kimi does OK then he has a chance of a return. Racing is hell of a lot harder than it looks. Any problems with the nerve damage or breaks as reported though and it is game over without a doubt.

sorry for the disjointed post, was trying to get definitive evidence of a 2012 test then got side tracked.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 pm 

Quote:
Robert Kubica has returned to the cockpit for the first time since his rallying accident more than a year ago. The Polish driver took the wheel of a Skoda Fabia for a test on Thursday in Genoa. This is a first step to returning to competition but Kubica is reported to still have problems with the functioning of his hand. That may preclude him from racing in Formula 1 in the future but that does not mean he cannot compete in other forms of racing, as Sandro Nannini, for example, did back in the 1990s after injuring his arm in a helicopter accident.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/03/ ... rally-car/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:09 pm 

Photos - Kubica drives Skoda Fabia rally car
http://www.formula1onlive.com/2012/03/photos-kubica-drives-skoda-fabia-rally.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 pm 

Kubica was seen driving a Skoda Fabia earlier this week. Really interesting, considering this is the first sign that indicates Robert Kubicas return to Formula 1.

@http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/7586640/-Kubica-drives-Skoda-rally-car-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm 

Robert has been driving karts!
It has to be quite good with his hands.
Link below:
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... -1.3283882

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 pm 

Alter_Ego wrote:
Link below:

If this is an actual picture of his visit to the kart track, than it is interesting that he seems to be resting his right hand/arm on his leg, while holding the steering wheel with his left...

I wish him a complete recovery, but I think his F1 career is over.

You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:03 pm 

Quote:
If this is an actual picture of his visit to the kart track, than it is interesting that he seems to be resting his right hand/arm on his leg, while holding the steering wheel with his left...

1. It is impossible to say that he is resting his hand
2. I can hardly imagine that you can drive kart properly with one hand. Robert must be strongest and the most precise man I've ever seen. 8O
IF yes it means that he can cope with his left hand only in F1 too then. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 pm 

AndyPerry wrote:
Alter_Ego wrote:
Link below:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:10 pm 

Sarhan wrote:
AndyPerry wrote:
Alter_Ego wrote:
Link below:

Thanks!
And for others :
Links with other pictures (Sarhan, thanks again):
http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... ubicy.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 pm 

Alter_Ego wrote:
Quote:

1. It is impossible to say that he is resting his hand
2. I can hardly imagine that you can drive kart properly with one hand. Robert must be strongest and the most precise man I've ever seen. 8O
IF yes it means that he can cope with his left hand only in F1 too then. :lol:

I'm sure he held on the wheel with both hands. Sarhan's photo seems to imply so, too. My last sentence in my previous post had nothing to do with what I said yout his arm. I'm not trying to draw conclusions based on that.

You’re a master of karate and friendship…for everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:11 pm 

Photos from that day at Official MyKart Facebook page. Owner of the track uploaded photos Sunday :))

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 943&type=3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:30 pm 

This is form Autosport forum courtesy of "Metal"

Quote:
I just rushed out of my house to buy an Autosprint here in Italy and here is what they say:
The rally test was done with an italian co-pilot Giuliano Manfredi with whom Kubica had already driven, the guys from the Erreeffe rally team said that he impressed everyone with his driving, the car hasn't been modified in any way for him, neither the wheel, nor the handbrake , nor the gearbox.
The karting test from last year had been done during the night and, this is not official, he has established a new track record at the third lap!

And also regarding the karting test from last year
Quote:
Yeah in the fall, at the Castelletto di Branduzzo track and that test served to establish what kind of surgery his hand still needed, which they have done to resolve the last issues.

Last edited by Big Arti on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:40 pm 

keep on excercising robert, keep on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm 

Big Arti wrote:

Quote:
I just rushed out of my house to buy an Autosprint here in Italy and here is what they say:
The rally test was done with an italian co-pilot Giuliano Manfredi with whom Kubica had already driven, the guys from the Erreeffe rally team said that he impressed everyone with his driving, the car hasn't been modified in any way for him, neither the wheel, nor the handbrake , nor the gearbox.
The karting test from last year had been done during the night and, this is not official, he has established a new track record at the third lap!

Last year? I might be missing something...those pictures we all see are from last year or is it different karting test of his?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm 

There were minimum 2 karting tests:
1st - last year - and decision about surgery after that.
2nd - last weekend.

plus minimum once Fabia (but there was information that this one "was not the first rally trial")

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:59 pm 

I hope Kubica can make it back into F1 but I doubt it .
what team would take him?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 pm 

DeeSee2 wrote:
Big Arti wrote:

Quote:

Last year? I might be missing something...those pictures we all see are from last year or is it different karting test of his?

Apparently yes those pics are from last year (I edited my post above after I sought confirmation from Metal)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm 

Robert is definitely one of the best and I relly hope he'll be back!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:46 pm 

myf1space wrote:
I hope Kubica can make it back into F1 but I doubt it .

I must say these days I doubt it too, but I hope he would come back. But if he can't I think he could have a career in rally, since it's not so big of a strain to your body as F1 is. First driver ever to win in F1 and WRC?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 am 

Kubica was testing Clio S1600 last Saturday http://www.f1talks.pl/2012/04/10/kubica ... -za-kolko/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:25 am 

His comeback is near. Let's hope he returns to F1, not only rally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:45 pm 

Sarhan wrote:

You think he's given up F1 ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:00 pm 

Big Arti wrote:
Sarhan wrote:

Knowing him I wouldn't be shocked if he choses rally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:30 pm 

Sarhan wrote:
Big Arti wrote:
Sarhan wrote:

I think he's already signed a contract with Ferrari! Well it seemed like it before he had injured his arm a second time! Any atm it seems like Perez is the replacement for massa :s!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:51 am 

Sarhan wrote:
Big Arti wrote:
Sarhan wrote:

I thought you read it somewhere - I wouldn't be schocked either but dissapointed if he will be 100% fit to race

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:15 am 

Sarhan wrote:
Big Arti wrote:
Sarhan wrote:

Yep. I am glad that he can still drive a car, if it can't be F1 then must be rally. Let the boy win his spurs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 am 

http://www.f1talks.pl/2012/04/11/proba- ... rem-zdjec/

(needs google translation from Polish)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:41 am 
Have faith in Robert :thumbup:

As long as he has the will to comeback to F1, he will come back and not as a shadow :D

He can't be compared to Massa for example, because firstly they have completely different characters and secondly Massa was in a hurry to return to F1 the next year.

At least Robert is healing and taking his time to do so too. I can very well understand him for not being in the publicity, as soon as you see him the first thing you look at is his hand. It can't be a nice thing to experience for him :(

Alguersuari's comments and others comments about him not being able to come back could be seen in a positive light. The rumor mill has started and you never know what agenda they have. The sport is cruel and sometimes passing on a false rumor can be a deliberate thing.

The best would had been to see him this year on the grid, however I'm happy that he is taking the time to heal properly.

Also something else worth mentioning: He seems to have options to drive in many teams, Renault for example kept their doors open for a long long time. If that's not a sign of a brilliant driver then I don't know what is :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 pm 

Thanks Nicole :)

BTW here's some more pics:

http://www.rally.it/foto/g794-test-erre ... ubica.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm 
Sarhan wrote:
Thanks Nicole :)

BTW here's some more pics:

http://www.rally.it/foto/g794-test-erre ... ubica.html

Thanks for the pictures, Sarhan :D

Robert driving a rally car should be the final proof of him not suffering from any fear and that's the awesome thing about Robert; being able to put the accident behind him and instead of avoiding a rally car the man goes and drives a rally car :thumbup:

It's going to be really interesting to see him in F1 (hopefully next year already), I believe that he will show that he has all his talents intact and if he has to use ways of not straining the arm so much in a F1-car, then he will find those ways :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:58 pm 

Let's summarize guys:

Positives:
- Robert is driving karts and Rally cars. Rumours says he is fast

Negatives:
- Recent comments of few people suggest his hand does not look good and may never be 100% OK.

How much more demanding is F1 vs Rallying? I mean physically. We know he was driving F1 Renault in 2010 with one hand when operating with F-duct. In turns that would be impossible. How far is he to F1 judging by the fact he can drive Rally car with no major problems?(we do not know lap times...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:33 pm 
I'd say things are looking good for Kubica, especially since he is also doing karting 8O

There was an exclusive interview with him in 2008 about karting, might be a good read especially now :thumbup:

Oh and rally is deffo more difficult to drive than F1, no question about it!

Quote:
THE LOVE FOR KARTING AND RALLY MADE KUBICA KIMI'S FRIEND

TS-SPECIAL 31.8.2008

Robert Kubica has a new friend on the F1-grid - the Polish guy and the 29 year old Finn have a lot more in common that just personalities.

-It was unbelieavable to see how a mutual first love - karting - can get these guys together. Their eyes were sparkling from excitment and they seem to still know everything that goes on on the karting-level, Kubica's manager Daniele Morelli smiles.

Kubica has just started his own karting-team in Italy and who would be better to give hints than Raikköinen, who has a longer experience of his own BMW- and F3-teams.

Turun Sanomat got the year's driver Kubica's special interview in Interlagos.

What kind of relationship do you have with Kimi?

- I used to think Kimi was a different person than now when I have been talking with him longer.

- Kimi is a strange guy. During 3 years we exchanged only a couple words. Then we met in Singapore and Japan, sat down, started talking and talked for long. Kimi likes karting just like I do too.

- We were already joking that in our next career we will be racing together in rally. It would be totally fantastic. To be honest, I hope it happens. It would be great to some day get to race in for example Finland's WC-rally. We will wait and see what happens, Kubica says with enthusiasm.

Both Kubica and Räikkönen are known as men who talk very straightly about things. Neither one of them can do politics at all.

- Maybe a personality like we have isn't good for F1. I think that's the reason that we like karting so much. We agree that karting is the most genuine racing. We would both want that F1 would be more like karting still is. Karting-times were a real pleasure and gave me as a race driver the most, Kubica says.

Räikkönen also says that Kubica is a nice and fair guy.

- Robert knows Toni Vilander well and that way we just started talking. It was nice to talk when we have a lot of mutual interests, Kimi said.

Turun Sanomat, Sao Paulo
HEIKKI KULTA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:35 pm 

NeverCryWolf wrote:

Might be more difficult, but not phisicaly demanding. F1 needs more fitness and precision. I have a hunch, we will see Robert in WRC rather than in F1.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm 
Nitrobox wrote:
NeverCryWolf wrote:

Might be more difficult, but not phisicaly demanding. F1 needs more fitness and precision. I have a hunch, we will see Robert in WRC rather than in F1.

Robert said to Kulta once that he when he has achieved what his goal is in F1, then he moves over to WRC. I hope he still has that goal in mind :D

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:35 pm 

Could not find the health update thread so boshed it in here...

http://www.f1reports.com/f1/article/15482/

With all said, I've still got blind faith

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:41 pm 

Poor guy, fingers and everything else crossed.

Drink Up Me Hearties Yo Ho!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 am 

6_Tenths wrote:

That is a stunning piece of journalism IMO...'experienced journalist' claims Kubica will not come back because 'news stopped flowing'. Pulitzer prize anynone? That could be first such prize for Blick I think. What The Sun and News of the World say for that?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 am 

6_Tenths wrote:

until kubica officially says it`s all over I keep on having some faith too..

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:30 am 

Maybe the news has dried up because he's locked away somewhere (maranello) training hard :smug:

Maybe....

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 am 

stringy wrote:
Maybe the news has dried up because he's locked away somewhere (maranello) training hard :smug:

Maybe....

Joking aside, I heard more than once that he's driving rally cars in secret because he's obliged not to do so. Could be a rumor but if he's to be back it would make sense.