Please read the forum rules

Respect for Christian Horner
Yes 41%  41%  [ 70 ]
No 59%  59%  [ 100 ]
Total votes : 170
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:34 pm 

Do you have it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:44 pm 

Does anyone think he is a good team principle??? Or should I create another poll for it. I don't wanna really.

I have just watch the f1 show from tonight. And I don't like the bloke. (My opinion)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm 

Yes. The polite way in which he complained to Vettel for overtaking Webber in Sepang! Seems to be such a nice guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:53 pm 

Respect to him for not thinking "sod this" and quitting but he isn't exactly shining as a team principle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:04 pm 

I guess I used to. But I had it after he defended Vettel after Germany 2012 when he overtook Button offtrack.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm 

I just think he's annoying. I'd rather Helmut Marko was team principle. At least his bulls hit is funny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:12 pm 

I think he deserves some respect but let's not forget that respect is relative though. I don't see why he should deserve less respect than Domenicali, Whitmarsh, Dennis, Todt, Brawn and so on just because apparently one driver disobeyed his authority or because he failed to take public action against such an attitude or because he went to extra lengths to justify it. Every principal I mentioned before is guilty of at least one of these charges.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 pm 

I voted yes and I genuinely feel that. People can criticise him all they want but what he has achieved and what he has made of that team is extremely commendable. Most team principles would come across as extremely professional, they usually have that aura of being above the rest, but if you look at Horner, he come across a casual and fun loving kind of guy, probably because hes one of the youngest TPs in the paddock. (Cyril Abitobul is the youngest now I guess) But the way hes moulded all of them into formidable competitors is something worth keeping in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:23 pm 

Greg92 wrote:
I think he deserves some respect but let's not forget that respect is relative though. I don't see why he should deserve less respect than Domenicali, Whitmarsh, Dennis, Todt, Brawn and so on just because apparently one driver disobeyed his authority or because he failed to take public action against such an attitude or because he went to extra lengths to justify it. Every principal I mentioned before is guilty of at least one of these charges.

Good point. It's also harder to tell a 3-times champion not to pass your teammate versus a 1 time grand prix winner so it is all relative.

My opinion is that I would have more respect for Horner if he came out and said "Look, he won 3 titles, he isn't listening to anybody, deal with it and we will deal with by not issuing anymore team orders and letting our drivers race". He said the latter in more political terms but the first part was more concealed. If they let Mark compete with Sebastian all year - respect for Horner in November for staying true to his word.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 pm 

its more than apparant who runs this team , and mr nice guy is not that person - "i might do it again"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm 

As the team principle of a team that has won the double for the last 3 years in a row I feel a certain amount of respect is due. I also feel he may be in a somewhat difficult position, and is likely significantly undermined by Helmut Marko. Does he actually have the genuine authority for instance to manage the drivers in a way he would really like?

I can't say I'm particularly enamored by him judging by his TV interviews etc. but I suppose I don't have to like him particularly to still have a grudging respect for what he and the team have achieved.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 pm 

Greg92 wrote:

When he first came on the scene I was a fan of his but over the last few years he has changed and became dishonest and avoids awkward questions. At least you can call Domenicali honest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:52 pm 

The main thing for me is .. WHY would you respect him ??

For the team he has put together I would say yes. For the way he handled a lot of incidents such as Turkey 2010 and Malaysia 2013 then no. He does not seem to have the authority that his positions demands. Its pretty clear his authority relies on the permission of others, namely Marko and Vettel.

I just feel sorry for the guy at times.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:56 pm 

I'm really disappointed with the poll result... What's wrong with you people?

Of course I respect him as I do all people by default, what has he done or not done that should've taken my respect away?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 pm 

Yes.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:28 pm 

Yep, part of the team which took Red Bull from being "the laughing stock of the grid" to three times (in a row) WDC and WCC winners. You've got to respect that.

Ciao Jules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 pm 

Christian Horner won 3 straight titles with his team. Lack of respect is not negotiable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:58 pm 

I pity him.

On the face of it, he should be lauded for an incredible job over the years but his name and time in F1 will forever be mentioned in the same breath as Helmut Marko and outside influences and his decisions, and now the power his star driver appears to have over him and his team. I fear history will declare him a weak Team Principal; and as a personal addendum, his weasely nature when it comes to answering the tough questions doesnt lend to a likeable (and therefore respectable) opinion on him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Adrian Newey won 3 straight titles with his team. Lack of respect is not negotiable.

Fixed it there for you.

Last edited by RacingFan1 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 pm 

Since I don't know him personally I can't say that I respect him as a person. But I do respect him in his professional position.

I don't care who the drivers or the car designer is, if the person who oversees the day to day operations of the team is doing a very good job they're not going to win the double three years in a row after bringing them up from a solid spot in the midfield. They may get lucky with one shining year, but not three straight WCC & WDC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm 

There is a difference between respecting his achievements and respecting him as a human being.

I voted no.

I am indifferent either way, I nor have any great respect for him or any dissent for him. I may turn the channel when he comes on TV because he is usually about as interesting as Last Of The Summer Wine, but he is not someone that has done anything that bad.

I do respect his achievements, but its not like I am going replace my Gilles Villeneuve T-Shirt with a "horny for Horner" T Shirt. Or replace my Lewis screensaver with that picture of him trying to look sexy. I could forget he existed if he quit F1 now and never returned.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 am 

we dont know how he handles things internally. He comes accross PR savvy and moderate - but he could be a lot firmer in reality.

ultimately we dont really see that side - but by virtue of the team he runs - you've got to give him the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 am 

Horner has done very well with some things but on the matter of controlling his drivers he has totally no authority and that is why he lacks my respect.

He has advised he was not happy that Seb disobeyed his orders at Sepang, however Sebastian has come out and advised he would "do it again". So he would disobey the orders handed to him by Horner again.

Horner should be fuming over these kind of comments but the way it appears is that he accepts them. Pathetic really, Seb just walks all over him and the team like they are nothing. Can you imagine Seb doing that kind of thing at Ferrari, or Mclaren?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:41 am 

RacingFan1 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Adrian Newey won 3 straight titles with his team. Lack of respect is not negotiable.

Fixed it there for you.

RacingFan1, this old chestnut about Newey, the one man championship winning band, is nonsense. Adrian Newey joined the team at the end of 2006. The 2008 car, the first car that could reasonably be called his, was one of their worst and was outpaced by the Toro Rosso copycat of the 2007 Red Bull.

Red Bull's success is much more than just one man, Horner with the support of Mateschitz and Marko have built a very strong team. If Newey is that good, why bother hiring everybody else? Why not save the money or spend it on something different?

I think Horner and all the Red Bull team deserve a lot of respect for what they have achieved in a relatively short period of time. Attributing their success to Newey smacks of sour grapes and doesn't show the people throwing around those opinions in a positive light at all.

It's just Red Bull's turn to be the focus of jealousy, because they are winning. When Schumacher was winning, it was said it was because of Brawn and Byrne. When Alonso was winning, it was because of Michelin and Mercedes engines going pop. When Button was winning, it was because of Brawn. If Enstone or Mercedes start gathering momentum this year, watch out for the bitter "it's because of the suspension" start to emerge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:03 am 

Yes, but Vettel and Marko don't respect him. I kind of feel bad for Horner.

Marko's words:

Quote:
I'm director of Red Bull Racing together with Christian and Mateschitz. Everything from the team comes to me and I filter it and if necessary bring it to the boss, so I make the final decisions."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 am 

IMO, he seems like a respectable person, but the fact is he's not going to be getting much respect from his drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:41 am 

Red Bull has done very well for half the time he's been at the helm, so he must be doing something right. But I don't enjoy the way he often bends the truth and sometimes seems unable to make quick decisions in response to inter-team incidents. But he manages MW Arden in GP3 and it's come second in the constructors in the past two years and won the drivers' title last year, so he must know a little something about management.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:05 am 

I really, really dislike how Redbull operate. so i don't really have much respect for Horner. but i do admire his skill to achieve what he did.

Despite being part of the problem (why i don't like RBR), i do respect and admire Newey.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:14 am 

Horner is a toothless tiger in this situation Helmut wields the power and its Helmuts protege who is flaunting the hierarchy, probably said he would do it again to test his own authority in team. In these situations I pity Horner, the differing between him and Ross Brawns handling of a similar situation was stark. How different would this whole debacle be if it had been Webber who had done the deed. The question of respect should be placed at Vettels doorstep because he cant have it both ways, by stating his willingness to pass Webber again if similar situation arose seems to make light of his apology to the team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:58 am 

In short Horner should be criticized for allowing the situation to reach this point where Seb had to take matters into his own hands.
If he had grown a pair then Mark should have been punished for Silverstone 2011 & disobeying a direct order not to race Seb in Brazil last year. I have always maintained it was payback as Seb saw Mark flout the teams wishes with impunity.
His manager said he was the biggest help to Ferrari during the Brazilian gp & Martin Brundle said his treatment of Seb was brutal & still no repercussions.
I have never said what Seb did was right just what goes around comes around & the whole drama queen act of being badly done by is pure hypocrisy.
On the number 2 driver thing, just another attempt to destabilise Seb & gain an advantage. I’m not so sure he would have even won that race if Lewis had not nerfed Seb’s tyre at the first corner.

He obviously has no control of mark as Mark even said he would discuss his future with his friend Dietrich, not Horner, not Newey, not Marko.
He is also a partner of Mark's in MW Arden.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 am 

I think the guy has potential to be a good team principal but unfortunately, the way things are going in F1, the title of Team Principal means less and less each day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:58 am 

I respect him for his achievements and for building the Red Bull team into the force it is today. No-one can deny he's created a winning team.

But I lost some respect for him by the way in which he appears to be afraid to confront his star driver. To me it looks like poor management

edit. Forgot to say that means I'm a little undecided on how to vote, although on balance I'd say Yes as I'd have to admit I'd be happy to be half as successful as he's been :-P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:04 am 

I don't particularly like him but i respect (almost) everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 am 

This is a very difficult question. If we are judging it on the last race then no, definitely not.

Christian Horner is like the school teacher who wants to be friends with his pupils at the detriment of his actual job. Drivers, just like students, will only respond positively to authority figures they respect, not authority figures they like.

Ross Brawn showed how you issue a team order. Clearly, unambiguously, no nonsense and firmly. It doesn't matter if the driver hates you, so long as they listen to you.

This has been an issue throughout Horner's time at Red Bull, at least since they have been in the spotlight.

HOWEVER - it is not as simple as this. For all the arguments on whether or not Horner has the respect of his drivers, or whether they listen him, or even whether he has control of them - let's not forget the success they have enjoyed. Three consecutive double championships. The current Red Bull set up has joined the legendary F1 teams - alongside the likes of Ferrari 2000-2004, Williams 1992-1997 and McLaren 1988-1991.

As head of the ship, Horner can certainly claim credit for orchestrating this. But, of course, Horner suffers the same problem the Vettel does: Adrian Newey.

Just as many write off Vettel's success as being down to the fact he is driving a Adrian Newey car, many can write off Horner's success as team principal as simply "hiring Adrian Newey and getting him to design a super awesome car" - and due to the fact that every team wanted Adrian Newey, it can hardly be considered a stroke of genius by Horner to hire him, he was just in a position to be able to give Newey what he wanted - a Ferrari/McLaren scale budget but without the trappings of being hired by one of these bigger teams.

I think that, while there is a decree of logic in that statement, it's unfair to put it all down to that. Horner certainly was able to convince Newey to join Red Bull, which at the time looked like being a team that would forever be stuck in the midfield.

However, I have lost a lot of respect for Horner following Malaysia. He doesn't have control of his drivers, and he is failing to answer the questions about it. He attempts to deflect the questions from reporters by pretending it is a getting boring (which it is) but that is only because he isn't actually answering the questions, he is just deflecting them.

At the end of the day, the fact that his driver feels comfortable enough to openly admit in a public interview that he would defy team orders in the future demonstrates that he has lost control. And I can't respect a team principal who is not in control of their team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 am 

hittheapex wrote:
RacingFan1 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Fixed it there for you.

RacingFan1, this old chestnut about Newey, the one man championship winning band, is nonsense. Adrian Newey joined the team at the end of 2006. The 2008 car, the first car that could reasonably be called his, was one of their worst and was outpaced by the Toro Rosso copycat of the 2007 Red Bull.

Red Bull's success is much more than just one man, Horner with the support of Mateschitz and Marko have built a very strong team. If Newey is that good, why bother hiring everybody else? Why not save the money or spend it on something different?

I think Horner and all the Red Bull team deserve a lot of respect for what they have achieved in a relatively short period of time. Attributing their success to Newey smacks of sour grapes and doesn't show the people throwing around those opinions in a positive light at all.

It's just Red Bull's turn to be the focus of jealousy, because they are winning. When Schumacher was winning, it was said it was because of Brawn and Byrne. When Alonso was winning, it was because of Michelin and Mercedes engines going pop. When Button was winning, it was because of Brawn. If Enstone or Mercedes start gathering momentum this year, watch out for the bitter "it's because of the suspension" start to emerge.

Not long after Red Bull entered F1, they went on to try to get all the best engineers they could from all the rest of the teams. And they got some of them, the most important one is Newey. So really I don't think Horner has got that much of a meriit. He has a very strong team of engineers and personnel behind him, all he has to do is be sure that everyone does their job well, and by the way he is terrible at managing a pair of drivers, from what we are seeing. Poor Webber.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:30 am 

RacingFan1 wrote:
hittheapex wrote:
RacingFan1 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Fixed it there for you.

Not long after Red Bull entered F1, they went on to try to get all the best engineers they could from all the rest of the teams. And they got some of them, the most important one is Newey. So really I don't think Horner has got that much of a meriit. He has a very strong team of engineers and personnel behind him, all he has to do is be sure that everyone does their job well, and by the way he is terrible at managing a pair of drivers, from what we are seeing. Poor Webber.

Newey had been without a championship working for Mclaren for 7 years when Red Bull hired him. Newey was a very good acquisition but he can't win on his own.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 am 

He definitely deserves buckets of respect - he has led Red Bull Racing to 3 double championships on the trot. Like him or not, you can't take that away from him. The drivers, team, crew and staff may disobey at times (who can resist Die Hard on late night when Horner has ordered all to bed for an early start?) that is human nature. It is the same with the drivers (although more in our faces). But that happens to all TPs. I mean some orders go unspoken, and they are broken and the TP is not blamed. No one directly blamed Whitmarsh for being weak when Hamilton tweeted the telemetry - but if Whitmarsh had known he might, he would have orderd him not to. One can distinguish of course - but it comes down to the same thing. Having so much respect that you obey 100% - this does not exist.

The fact that RBR runs like a well oiled machine, that they get through their problems and remain successful, say so much for him that nothing more really needs to be said.

I do not know why people give Marko any credit at all. He loudmouths messages from Didi at times, hangs with Seb to chat at races, and runs the Jr. team over at STRF. This has nothing at all to do with the day to day operations at Red Bull involving the technical, HR, crew, etc. Christian is responsible for keeping that ship afloat and headed in the right direction and deserves all the praise for it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:42 am 

porscheguy wrote:
I think the guy has potential to be a good team principal but unfortunately, the way things are going in F1, the title of Team Principal means less and less each day.

Are you referring to Horner or Vettel?

It's not clear. This thread is about Horner, but he's been team principle for a long time, so having potential doesn't mean anything any more. His public utterances aren't credible, and he bends over backwards to accommodate one drivers whims, but not the other. On the other hand the team revolves around Vettel, so he does have the potential to be team principle - if he's not effectively already. (He's got a PA by the name of Horner).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:04 pm 

slide wrote:
its more than apparant who runs this team , and mr nice guy is not that person - "i might do it again"

That what speaks against that apparent speculation is the fact that Horner is payed $10mil a year. I simply do not believe for once that successful business people like Dietrich Mateschitz would be either in such illusion about who runs their teams (while it be obvious to us, posters on this forum) nor would they go throwing their money away in the case of otherwise.

Last edited by Prema on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:12 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
He definitely deserves buckets of respect - he has led Red Bull Racing to 3 double championships on the trot. Like him or not, you can't take that away from him. The drivers, team, crew and staff may disobey at times (who can resist Die Hard on late night when Horner has ordered all to bed for an early start?) that is human nature. It is the same with the drivers (although more in our faces). But that happens to all TPs. I mean some orders go unspoken, and they are broken and the TP is not blamed. No one directly blamed Whitmarsh for being weak when Hamilton tweeted the telemetry - but if Whitmarsh had known he might, he would have orderd him not to. One can distinguish of course - but it comes down to the same thing. Having so much respect that you obey 100% - this does not exist.

The fact that RBR runs like a well oiled machine, that they get through their problems and remain successful, say so much for him that nothing more really needs to be said.

I do not know why people give Marko any credit at all. He loudmouths messages from Didi at times, hangs with Seb to chat at races, and runs the Jr. team over at STRF. This has nothing at all to do with the day to day operations at Red Bull involving the technical, HR, crew, etc. Christian is responsible for keeping that ship afloat and headed in the right direction and deserves all the praise for it.

I am commenting... but just for the sake of re-posting the above writing of "bourbon19" that deserves to be seen again. Though a little bit of disappointment on my side - I can't find nothing in the post to go on and challenge. :(