planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 pm 

I found this to be quite remarkable and genuinely inspiring. He put this together unbelievably well, impromptu. He's obviously thought about his journey through life very long and hard.

Kudos.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm 

Impressive, I liked the bit, "What are those scruffy black guys doing here?" clearly means a lot to him. A good find thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Davidbl wrote:
Hamilton now becomes the 3rd most successful driver in F1 history.

Behind Schumacher and Fangio?

Yep. Of course its not just about the numbers but at whatever stat you look at it is clear that Hamilton is now near the top of every list, 3rd in most world championships, 2nd most wins, most pole positions and 4th most fastest laps, 11 successive seasons with at least a win in that season.

As I said it is not just about the numbers of course but those numbers are something you have to give him credit for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:53 pm 

Sir Lewis Hamilton? Nigel Mansell doesn't seem too opposed to the idea.

https://talksport.com/motorsport/lewis- ... itle-nigel

Sadly these days knighthoods are handed out like sweets to whichever sportsperson happens to be flavour of the month and I find it excessive to be honouring those who are still competing. In my mind for a sportsperson it's supposed to represent a lifetime of achievement and/or achievements that transcend their sport. Having said that, if Andy Murray deserves one then consistency surely dictates that Hamilton does.

On another point it's great to see Mansell recognising what Hamilton has achieved. It's welcome change from the constant sniping you get from Jackie Stewart; his interview with Brundle on the Mexican GP grid was frankly embarrassing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 pm 

j man wrote:

Sadly these days knighthoods are handed out like sweets to whichever sportsperson happens to be flavour of the month and I find it excessive to be honouring those who are still competing. In my mind for a sportsperson it's supposed to represent a lifetime of achievement and/or achievements that transcend their sport. Having said that, if Andy Murray deserves one then consistency surely dictates that Hamilton does.

On another point it's great to see Mansell recognising what Hamilton has achieved. It's welcome change from the constant sniping you get from Jackie Stewart; his interview with Brundle on the Mexican GP grid was frankly embarrassing.

Hamilton currently has the same order of merit as Susie Wolf. One can only assume she was awarded her MBE for services to marrying well?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
Impressive, I liked the bit, "What are those scruffy black guys doing here?" clearly means a lot to him. A good find thanks.

This reminds me of the time I was testing at a kart track, I was racing there the following Sunday, late in the day a white transit van drove past me in the paddock, it was the Hamiltons, I was aware of Lewis because he had recently signed for McLaren and at that time he would have been 13 years old, they would have been testing the following day and racing that weekend.

As they drove past I stared because I was thinking that's Lewis Hamilton, they never looked at me but just stared straight ahead, maybe they classed me as one of those people?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 pm 

j man wrote:

I think if they are going to do it they should wait until his F1 career is over, I would find it a bit cringe worthy him doing interviews and being addressed as Sir Lewis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 pm 

j man wrote:

Is his contribution to motorsport any less than Sir Jackie Stewart I wonder? What did JS say on the grid then, I only saw the post match interview where he generally praised the achievement saying it was a far bigger achievement to win multiple titles than simply one trophy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 am 

Congratulations to Lewis Hamilton. Well deserved fella!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

A nice compilation of the first half of the season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9au7kz2wY

A reminder of how nip and tuck it was between Hamilton and Vettel