All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:48 am 

Race2win wrote:
Haribo wrote:
Race2win wrote:
phyz wrote:
Ha! He didn't just beat the top time, he destroyed it.
I can just imagine Vettel's scowl when he watches the show.

Im sure Vettel couldnt care less about it.

Vettel found the time impressive :)

I hear he wants to come back again too

So much for couldn't care less....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm 

Take a look at this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... cedes.html

He really does have an inflated opinion of himself. Talk about a Prima Donna.

I had to laugh at the bit that says "when I got into F1, I sometimes said one thing and meant another and people took it the wrong way"

When he talks nonsense in other words.

He wants people to catch their breath when he walks into a room does he. I don't think even Senna had that wish. - Unbelievable arrogance.

*Lewis* - If you're reading this, you do the business first, then take the bow. Not the other way round.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:36 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Take a look at this.

I had to laugh at the bit that says "when I got into F1, I sometimes said one thing and meant another and people took it the wrong way"

He wants people to catch their breath when he walks into a room does he. I don't think even Senna had that wish. - Unbelievable arrogance.

*Lewis* - If you're reading this, you do the business first, then take the bow. Not the other way round.

Like to point out the bit where he said he wanted people to catch their breath? This is what he actually said,

Quote:
“When I speak about greatness, I just know the stories about Ayrton Senna, the way he would walk into a room, the aura he had, how he carried himself, how he drove and inspired people, inspired a nation – that is greatness. I hope that I will have that greatness.”

So he wants to be like his hero. Wouldn't we all given the chance? Hate him all you want but don't add your own meaning to his words.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm 

I read it and you are talking absolute and utter nonsense. All that says is that he is aspiring to be the best, he wants to become an F1 Legend, if anything that is acknowledging that he isn't a legend of F1 at the moment, which is the opposite of arrogance. He wants to become a legend and aspires to the best I don't even know where to begin aside from stating the fact that everyone in F1 wants to be the best. So what you have typed is utterly wrong and I doubt that you have even read the article.

*sixwheeler* - if you're reading this, please leave.

i'm so annoyed at this because you just made stuff up and posted it as though it is fact, you cannot be serious.

Last edited by FormulaFun on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm 

He did not even say he wanted to be like Senna, just that Senna set the bar of greatness for him any driver to achieve. The last sentence is quite telling, notice he said "possibility" for greatness. He does not even label himself as great, he says he just wants to achieve it. You cannot knock the man for that.

"That's greatness and that's a dream for any driver to achieve. But it is a different era and I'm not Ayrton Senna, I'm not like any of the other drivers. I am different, I have my own personality and I hope there is still a possibility of greatness within that."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm 

The scarlet jet, Roscoe in the paddock, a museum of his exploits in the works and he wants to be like Senna. Its such an antithesis to keeping low profile. Senna may have been a demon on the track but off it he was a very humble humanbeing. He helped educate thousand of kids and put in a lot of effort and funds in the development of the people of the Favelas. So what exactly does Lewis do?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 pm 

Race2win -

If you fancy a read - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oc ... grand-prix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm 

Race2win wrote:
The scarlet jet, Roscoe in the paddock, a museum of his exploits in the works and he wants to be like Senna. Its such an antithesis to keeping low profile. Senna may have been a demon on the track but off it he was a very humble humanbeing. He helped educate thousand of kids and put in a lot of effort and funds in the development of the people of the Favelas. So what exactly does Lewis do?

Sounds almost like the "what did the Romans do for us" sketch from "Life of Brian"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm 

Race2win wrote:

where does it say he wants to be like Senna off the track? he says he aspires to be as good as he was, he also says "I'm not Ayrton Senna". Where does he say he wants to keep a low profile? no where, because he doesn't want to. He painted his plane red and got a dog, get over it because it is irrelevant.

Also Hamilton does so much voluntary charity work and donates so much I cannot believe you have even questioned that, shows how much you know really doesnt it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm 

_Rogue_ wrote:
Sounds almost like the "what did the Romans do for us" sketch from "Life of Brian"

hahaha exactly!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
So he wants to be like his hero. Wouldn't we all given the chance? Hate him all you want but don't add your own meaning to his words.

I don't hate him, I just think he's deluding himself. And I was just summarising the impression I got from the interview.

We had all this buildup for so many years about how good he was going to be etc etc. But I suppose people have been telling him for so long how great they think he is that he believes it himself before he's even really done anything.

Vettel has got a far better record, and I wouldn't say he was great for a while yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:25 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

I don't hate him, I just think he's deluding himself. And I was just summarising the impression I got from the interview.

We had all this buildup for so many years about how good he was going to be etc etc. But I suppose people have been telling him for so long how great they think he is that he believes it himself before he's even really done anything.

Vettel has got a far better record, and I wouldn't say he was great for a while yet.

Well it would seem that Hamilton himself doesn't think he's a great so I really don't understand how you could have inferred that from him saying essentially the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:26 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Beating or being equal to Alonso (who I and others regard as the best of this era) in his rookie year and winning the Drivers title in his second year is really something though.

I do not consider Lewis "great" or Vettel for that matter. I think you formed a opinion on the article before reading it proper. He has lofty goals, you cannot blame him for that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:14 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:

Do you watch him race? the guy is exceptional. It's not all about wins and WDCs so many of which rely on machinery and good fortune. Even if Hamilton was at the back of the grid he'd be putting in incredible drives.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:31 pm 

Having read the article I don't really see anything in there that points to unbelievable arrogance.

I don't even think the idea of the museum sounds like "colossal hubris", and I'm sure it would be something many would be interested in. David Coulthard has a museum http://79.170.44.100/davidcoulthardmuseum.co.uk/ and I wouldn't be surprised if some other drivers have something similar.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 pm 

Race2win wrote:

Oh please, don't let your blind hatred cloud the facts. He's helped with Unicef numerous of times and has been out to the likes of India etc. to meet these children.

Also, where do he state he wants to be Senna exactly? He wants to be as great as he is and its always what he has said never has he said he wants to be exactly like Senna.

Quick question whats wrong with buying a private jet and having a dog around as company as you travel around the world? I'm sure you'd get pretty lonely to if your girlfriend wasn't anywhere near you because of her schedule as well.

Just to top it off, David Coulthard has a museum so why shouldn't Hamilton? It was more his Dad's idea anyway.

Quote:
"I have been thinking to build a museum. It was my dad's idea. It would be cool to have somewhere – in Stevenage or London, I don't know – where we could have one of the cars from every year that I have driven and have the trophies up so that people can see them. There's no point in having them all in your house where no one can see them."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm 

Race2win wrote:

A dog & a jet, wow. Really exotic!
Schumacher had a dog & a jet, too , have not heared anyone complaining about it
DC has a museum, Frentzen, Alonso, Schumacher what about them?
e.g.
http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/show.php?id=910593
Schumachers private jet

Last edited by Haribo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:30 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Who cares about vettel, here?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:41 pm 

Quick questions to the guys analysing my post for a hate message. Where in my post does it say I hate Lewis exactly? Also I mention Lewis wanting to be like Senna. You guys claim he doesnt say that, but he wants to be as great as Senna. Seriously, how is that different from what I said? Finally at the end it was genuine question asking what has Lewis done. How is that sarcastic??? Seriously guys get a grip. Why do you guys go all defensive? Fans Phhffttt...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

Haribo I was wondering when you will dissect my message. And there you are.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Quick questions to the guys analysing my post for a hate message. Where in my post does it say I hate Lewis exactly? Also I mention Lewis wanting to be like Senna. You guys claim he doesnt say that, but he wants to be as great as Senna. Seriously, how is that different from what I said? Finally at the end it was genuine question asking what has Lewis done. How is that sarcastic??? Seriously guys get a grip. Why do you guys go all defensive? Fans Phhffttt...

He wants to be great as himself, not actually be a different person who he perceives to be great.

I gave you a answer to your genuine question, there was no sarcasm in my reply.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:54 pm 

Race2win wrote:

It was the general tone of your message that I thought was sarcastic or general hate. Obviously I was mistaken, but it really did come across that way, in particular the "Exactly" in your question posed came across as sarcastic.

So apologies, its just with the amount of hate the lad gets its hard not to get a little bit defensive.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:03 pm 

Glad you clarified that Sennafan. Much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm 

Race2win wrote:
Glad you clarified that Sennafan. Much appreciated

No problem :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:38 pm 

Good luck to him.
Yes, he can come across as arrogant sometimes but the majority of the greatest drivers are and always have been the same. He's a character and one F1 would miss if he wasn't there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:49 pm 

This is a top driver, current top 3 in fact in the pinnacle of motor sport, Why not be bloody arrogant, he has every rite to be, there is a massive difference between being arrogant and wrong and being arrogant with justification.

you may not like it but he has earn his place in F1 far more credibly than some of the newer drivers entering the sport, id be if i was in his place

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:29 pm 

Can we stop with the arrogance accusations please? After 6 years, you kind of get bored with them.

I'm looking forward to the new season. The car is a bit of a mystery but I think he will enter his peak as a driver now that he is no longer required to spend most of his time jumping through hoops for McCorporate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:48 pm 

If you don't like Lewis why are some of you commenting on this thread anyway? I'm sure if some people hijacked the Kimi thread slagging him off everyone would be up in arms, so *inaudible* off those of you taking shots at him do it elsewhere fine but not on a thread which is primarily for fans of the driver.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:54 pm 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21769197

Lewis is joining the BBC as a columnist, presumably replacing Mark Webber's.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm 

Moore wrote:

Be great to get his insight into his season. However, I can't begin to imagine how each of his columns will be picked apart by some on here. Hate is such a negative and damaging trait.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:
Moore wrote:

Be great to get his insight into his season. However, I can't begin to imagine how each of his columns will be picked apart by some on here. Hate is such a negative and damaging trait.

Are you so think skinned that you see everyone who doesn't hold the same view as you about Lewis as "hating" him ??, once the visor is down he is for me one of the very best drivers in Formula One. But surely even his most ardent supporters will admit that at times he puts his foot in it out of the car. It doesn't mean he is a bad guy just like it doesn't mean that anyone who points that out "hates" Lewis.

If you think people "picking apart" what he may or may not say in his column is "hate" for him then sorry, but I find that utterly ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm 

sixwheeler wrote:
Take a look at this.

and what does your ridiculousness say about you? some of you shouldn't use words you don't know the meaning of,i mean how did you read that article and think "prima donna" ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 pm 

Race2win wrote:

do you need that to be pointed out to you? :uhoh: seriously this forum never disappoints.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:52 pm 

Bipolar_Lobster wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Moore wrote:

Are you so think skinned that you see everyone who doesn't hold the same view as you about Lewis as "hating" him ??, once the visor is down he is for me one of the very best drivers in Formula One. But surely even his most ardent supporters will admit that at times he puts his foot in it out of the car. It doesn't mean he is a bad guy just like it doesn't mean that anyone who points that out "hates" Lewis.

If you think people "picking apart" what he may or may not say in his column is "hate" for him then sorry, but I find that utterly ridiculous.

PzR is spot on,there is nothing thin skinned about his comments...we see that everyday in this forum anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:07 pm 

Bipolar_Lobster wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:
Moore wrote:

lol, to start I've got no idea what 'think skinned' is. And I love the way his detractors use his first name. They think in some way it softens the blow. You might find it ridiculous but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who took issue with Webbers columns last year. Some thing tells me this year will be different ;)

And I find it very funny that you choose to defend the 'some on here' I talked about. I didn't say all but some. If you can't see that Hamilton, like every driver, has his fair share of irrational haters then more fool you. Maybe my comments were a bit close to the bone for you?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 pm 

I think the column could be a great thing for Lewis, I hope he's as candid as Webber was (thinking about the Lance Armstrong story he gave us)

On the move to Mercedes: I honestly believe Bernie won't let him suffer three years of hardship (Lewis is a major attraction to the sport and Bernie knows his worth). Either Bernie will "pull strings" to improve the team or he'll help Lewis move to a team that is a front runner. This years car looks promising though

It ain't hating just 'cause it's not love

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm 

SilverstoneRegular wrote:
I think the column could be a great thing for Lewis, I hope he's as candid as Webber was (thinking about the Lance Armstrong story he gave us)

On the move to Mercedes: I honestly believe Bernie won't let him suffer three years of hardship (Lewis is a major attraction to the sport and Bernie knows his worth). Either Bernie will "pull strings" to improve the team or he'll help Lewis move to a team that is a front runner. This years car looks promising though

Agree about Webber. His columns were a joy and he wasn't afraid of telling how it is. Can't see the same from Hamilton, he's younger, less mature and I'm not sure he takes as much notice of the world around him as Webber clearly does. Still it'll be good to have another drivers take on the season.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm 

I would say hamillton won't actually be doing much writing, He'll speak his mind and someone else will put it down on paper and then someone else will proof read it for legal reasons etc (probably Mercs people and the beebs people)
Either way I cannot wait to see what he can do at Mercedes, I just hope they've built him something he can really race with. Also hoping With the temperatures not so high this weekend merc stand more of a chance especially if they still have tyre deg problems.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:16 pm 

PzR Slim wrote:

Agree about Webber. His columns were a joy and he wasn't afraid of telling how it is. Can't see the same from Hamilton, he's younger, less mature and I'm not sure he takes as much notice of the world around him as Webber clearly does. Still it'll be good to have another drivers take on the season.

Hamilton may have just different interests than Webber. Charity for children was always a matter of interest for him e.g.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm 

Haribo wrote:
PzR Slim wrote:

Hamilton may have just different interests than Webber. Charity for children was always a matter of interest for him e.g.

I'm sure he does. However, I know from my own life that I take a much greater interest in the world around now than I did when I was Hamiltons age. It's not a criticism, just growing up.