planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:05 pm 

Hoping for a close & a splendid race tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:12 pm 

Huge test for Bottas tomorrow given some of his race pace struggles here in the past couple of years. He's better this season than in previous seasons for Mercedes and has been on a good pace with Hamilton in the race in recent times, so it will be interesting to see if he can hold off the charges to come from cars from three teams which should have the race pace to put on the challenge.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:53 am 

Invade wrote:
Huge test for Bottas tomorrow given some of his race pace struggles here in the past couple of years. He's better this season than in previous seasons for Mercedes and has been on a good pace with Hamilton in the race in recent times, so it will be interesting to see if he can hold off the charges to come from cars from three teams which should have the race pace to put on the challenge.

Bottas's race pace will be tested for sure. I think Max is going to win this if he comes out unscathed through the first lap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:18 am 

Pit strategy options:

Source - Imgur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:10 pm 

Race tyre sets available with each driver:

Source - Imgur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:52 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing Verstappen win to make up for the win he threw away last time out.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:42 pm 

Any of the top 5 can win it I feel, so long as Hamilton isn’t jumped by Albon. I can see somebody winning by staying out for a long time and getting a lucky VSC/SC and quick pit stop.

With a 1 stopper though, whoever leads after the first lap has the biggest opportunity to win this... cover the undercut by pitting first (as soon as clear air arrives) and its 80% of the job done. I think Bottas’ race pace might be a bit suspect though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:07 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Any of the top 5 can win it I feel, so long as Hamilton isn’t jumped by Albon. I can see somebody winning by staying out for a long time and getting a lucky VSC/SC and quick pit stop.

With a 1 stopper though, whoever leads after the first lap has the biggest opportunity to win this... cover the undercut by pitting first (as soon as clear air arrives) and its 80% of the job done. I think Bottas’ race pace might be a bit suspect though.

I've noticed at COTA there being a high chance of grid 2 getting into the lead, there's a good chance that Vettel could get the lead especially as the Ferrari has that bit of extra power.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:15 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Pit strategy options:

Source - Imgur

That's odd that the quickest strategy is Softs to Mediums. Top teams all (except Albon) set up to start on Mediums, presumably going then to hards. :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 pm 

Johnson wrote:

Why can't Albon win it then? Is he too slow? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:37 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

In six races with RBR, Alex's best finish is 4th. He just has not shown the speed that would lead most folks to expect him to be a candidate for the win. Not saying he could not surprise everyone but it would indeed be a surprise. Most folks will also expect that Albon's race strategy might very easily be enlisted to support Max's efforts to win the race.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

In six races with RBR, Alex's best finish is 4th. He just has not shown the speed that would lead most folks to expect him to be a candidate for the win. Not saying he could not surprise everyone but it would indeed be a surprise. Most folks will also expect that Albon's race strategy might very easily be enlisted to support Max's efforts to win the race.

''Not bad for a number two driver.'' ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:56 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

True but Albon has accumulated more points, I realise there are reasons but it would be very hard to bin him if at the end of the season he had more points than the "Mighty Max" in the season run in.

I suspect that this race might be a bit of a lottery for the first few laps, if Albon stays in touch he could do a Maldonado but its highly unlikely!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:58 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Alex's record since joining RBR. 5,6,6,5,4,5. Not bad but not great for a car that should by rights be at least sixth at every race.

I would like to see Alex excel and mix it up with the top five. I am not yet convinced yet that he has what it takes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:03 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Alex's record since joining RBR. 5,6,6,5,4,5. Not bad but not great for a car that should by rights be at least sixth at every race.

I would like to see Alex excel and mix it up with the top five. I am not yet convinced yet that he has what it takes.

He outqualified Bottas in Singapore I believe but then was outraced by him which doesn't look good when VB is not the best racer. All the other times he finished better than 6th it was because one or two of the top five had problems or an untidy race weekend for one reason or another. He hasn't managed to beat any of them on pure speed merit so far, only capitalising on their errors or misfortunes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:10 pm 

Is it just me or have people forgotten that this is Albon's first season? A late addition to the STR team after thinking that he'd be running in FE. A sudden promotion to RB. Expected to match Verstappen, who has arguably the best raw pace of all on the current grid? Some of Albon's finish positions have come from the back of the grisd as well. Personally, I think that some people are expecting too much of him at this stage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:04 pm 

An Orange sausage kerb has been installed on the inside of turn 8. Yesterday a few cars were running on the inside of turn 8 to get a better entry into turn 9. So this kerb comes into the picture.

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIdJvsMWkAA ... me=900x900

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:10 pm 

They should have added a few more of those orange kerbs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:18 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Yes he is not quick enough to win, clearly. Albon isn’t a match for Verstappen that is pretty obvious. No driver in the world could drop into that Red Bull and beat/match a driver who is already arguable the best.

Is the expectation now for rookies to drop in during the late season to a car they have never driven and start beating what many people think as the best driver in the world? Really?

Last edited by Johnson on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:20 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

That’s exactly what he is, picking up points when the lead driver messes up. Thats why he is easily out scoring Verstappen thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:30 pm 

Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Yes he is not quick enough to win, clearly. Albon isn’t a match for Verstappen that is pretty obvious. No driver in the world could drop into that Red Bull and beat/match a driver who is already arguable the best.

Is the expectation now for rookies to drop in during the late season to a car they have never driven and start beating what many people think as the best driver in the world? Really?

Bloody quick a lot of the time and could at some point win a WDC in my opinion, but is he really arguably the best driver in F1 today?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:34 pm 

Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Kimi won the US grand prix last year despite being well off Vettel's pace all season long, so it should be possible to be at least in the conversation for winning races even if you can't match a top teammate.

Ok, Kimi needed luck such as a Mercedes strategy blunder but even if Mercedes blunder again, Albon will not beat them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Bloody quick a lot of the time and could at some point win a WDC in my opinion, but is he really arguably the best driver in F1 today?

Why not? He's been more consistent and less error prone than Seb or Charles this season and the general view from the media seems to be that only Hamilton is better. It's not like Ricciardo has set the world alight this season, and Alonso is retired.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:59 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Kimi won the US grand prix last year despite being well off Vettel's pace all season long, so it should be possible to be at least in the conversation for winning races even if you can't match a top teammate.

Ok, Kimi needed luck such as a Mercedes strategy blunder but even if Mercedes blunder again, Albon will not beat them.

Kimi?

The guy that won 1 race in 40 odd over 2017/18 when his team mate battled for the title and won about 10.

Albon has done 6 races...

Kimi was also in the 2nd or best car during that period. Albon is in the 3rd best car or at best 2nd best car for his Red Bull career so far. Albon is starting 6th today in the 3rd best car, you think he has a chance to win?

Last edited by Johnson on Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:01 pm 

Invade wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Why not? He's been more consistent and less error prone than Seb or Charles this season and the general view from the media seems to be that only Hamilton is better. It's not like Ricciardo has set the world alight this season, and Alonso is retired.

Indeed. Verstappen is arguably the best or at very least arguably the quickest the driver.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:05 pm 

Invade wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

I'm a great believer in form and feel that driving ability changes by the season for all drivers, but as it stands this year, I'd put LH clearly above Max and have done since they both featured in the sport. Of course, Max may get better and Lewis may drop off in the years to come.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:11 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
I'm a great believer in form and feel that driving ability changes by the season for all drivers, but as it stands this year, I'd put LH clearly above Max and have done since they both featured in the sport. Of course, Max may get better and Lewis may drop off in the years to come.

I'm still convinced that we can't truly guage Max's place in the current order until he has been involved in the heat of a true title fight. I don't question his outright speed, that much has long been obvious, but the question marks over his mentality remain for me. It's also a lot easier to be very bold and brave when the consequences aren't as severe as ruining a title chance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:12 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I'm still convinced that we can't truly guage Max's place in the current order until he has been involved in the heat of a true title fight. I don't question his outright speed, that much has long been obvious, but the question marks over his mentality remain for me. It's also a lot easier to be very bold and brave when the consequences aren't as severe as ruining a title chance.

It's like reading chapter one of a book and declaring it the best book of all time

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:13 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Yes. He's clearly a bloody good driver, but can anyone really say with hand on heart that if they had to choose one driver to win a WDC for them next year, they could choose Max over Lewis based on the two drivers performances up to today? I doubt it.

Who knows what will happen next year, but can only base my thoughts on races I've seen, not future expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:40 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

Well I agree there, and on that basis Lewis has easily the strongest argument given the form he's now sustained for multiple years, whereas Max is only in the middle of putting together his first quite complete season given his circumstances and opportunities. He does produce many very strong performances... kinda expecting another one to come today. Hoping Lewis has something up his sleeve too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:42 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Heh maybe it's like regular seasons vs playoffs. Max kinda hasn't taken part in the playoffs yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:45 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
An Orange sausage kerb has been installed on the inside of turn 8. Yesterday a few cars were running on the inside of turn 8 to get a better entry into turn 9. So this kerb comes into the picture.

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIdJvsMWkAA ... me=900x900

That's good to see but still surprised they've allowed some drivers to cut that corner this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:47 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
Johnson wrote:

I don't see Vettel as being as quick as Verstappen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:10 pm 

Cracked rear wing replaced on Max's car. Bumpy track anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:11 pm 

Yeah, i'm not liking the ferrari's chances at this track. Pirelli is predicting the one stopper as the better strategy. Usually when Pirelli predicts something the opposite is actually true, so probably a two stopper will be the way to go today.

I see another orange bump on the left hand corner too. Was that there all weekend? I can't remember seeing it but I wasn't looking for it in quali.

Yeah, i'm not liking the ferrari's chances at this track. Pirelli is predicting the one stopper as the better strategy. Usually when Pirelli predicts something the opposite is actually true, so probably a two stopper will be the way to go today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:13 pm 

Bloody shots of celebs in the pits just before the start. Bloody hell!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:15 pm 

Ferrari clearly just want to make this entertaining.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:15 pm 

what a start! :D