planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:13 pm 

What do you think today guys? Not too bad considering where the Bulls finished. Lead at the top has been extended to a healthy 40 points.

Hopefully we'll see a repeat of last year where the 2nd to 5th placed guys kept taking points off each other, allowing the leader to gallop away with the title ;)

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:16 pm 

It would be nice if Massa had been able to at least get involved in some way and hold up any of the people Fernando was racing with, TBH. He's not scoring any WCC points so at the very least they should be pushing him to try and hold up the McLarens and Red Bulls.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:45 pm 

mcdo wrote:
What do you think today guys? Not too bad considering where the Bulls finished. Lead at the top has been extended to a healthy 40 points.

Well I know Alonso needs 1 more race to equal Schumi record (24 races in a row when he managed to score points in every single one of them).So good luck at Belgium :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:14 pm 

mcdo wrote:

Hopefully we'll see a repeat of last year where the 2nd to 5th placed guys kept taking points off each other, allowing the leader to gallop away with the title ;)

Yes not bad. We can rule this out as a bad weekend for Alonso. Taking 10 points on a bad weekend is pretty good. It could easily have been so much worse.

I'm more concerned about the pace of the car than just 10 points scored. The track didn't suit Ferrari but that's even more reason to be concerned. Ferrari seems strong in high speed cornering tracks but there are only 2 of those remaining: Spa and Suzuka. The rest are all traction tracks. I really hope Ferrari do something about their traction and also straight line speed during the break. Relying on wet weather is just not good enough.

To "gallop away" Alonso needs to be able to finish on the podium regularly. Hopefully he'll have a car capable of doing that when the season resumes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:16 pm 

mcdo wrote:

I'm worried about the general lack of pace. Fair enough this track might not suit the car, but I feel Ferrari are still lacking that extra tenth or two for Alonso to be comfortable with that gap. The way I see it, that gap is only going to get smaller unless they improve their pace.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
mcdo wrote:

I'm worried about the general lack of pace. Fair enough this track might not suit the car, but I feel Ferrari are still lacking that extra tenth or two for Alonso to be comfortable with that gap. The way I see it, that gap is only going to get smaller unless they improve their pace.

In theory it should get smaller, but it didn't today! A Lotus victory at Spa (which seems very possible) could allow the gap to remain around 40 points. We're going to have to take it race by race.

#14 for '14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:16 pm 

mcdo wrote:

I think they knew they wouldn't be in the running for a top 3 finish so to keep close with his nearest Championship rivals can be considered a plus for Alonso.

He might have raised one of his bushy eyebrows at Lewis's virtually flawless weekend though, still a lot of points up for grabs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:20 pm 

Ferrari have a lot of work to do during the break but if someone can make it - it's them.

I thought Alonso drove fairly well today, he was in front of Kimi in the first stint but he had absolutely no chance of staying ahead after the first stint, even if Perez wasn't in front of him. Or when Webber undercut him...by 8 seconds. I was actually pretty tiddled when he failed to get past Vettel but now I think it was a positive, Vettel would have passed him again eventually anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:01 pm 

That was surprisingly not too bad... I thought finishing 5th would be a lot more harmful to the WDC standings. A pity that's all he could manage!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm 

'Today I woke up with no pain' - tweet from FA. Anyone else think he may be putting on a front? if he had back pain immediately after the event it would be surprising if he did not feel any the next morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 pm 

Formula1Fan. wrote:
'Today I woke up with no pain' - tweet from FA. Anyone else think he may be putting on a front? if he had back pain immediately after the event it would be surprising if he did not feel any the next morning.

I see why they would put up a front (Monza this weekend, show no weakness, etc), but I choose to believe it's true. He's fit enough, and he surely got a nice massage and treatment for any discomfort from the incident the same day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:25 am 

Apparently Grosjean has apologised through a message to Fernando and Fernando replied that it's all ok and they'll see him again in Singapore.

All is well between them

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 am 

For those who want to watch a 30 min video interview with Alonso.

http://www.ferrari.com/english/formula1 ... lonso.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 am 

Post here if you think Alonso and Ferrari will come out fighting on Sunday.

Mind you I said this last week as well.

Still it is not over until the fat chick sings, so forza Alonso, Ferrari FTW.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:43 am 

thehabsonice wrote:
Khazrak134 wrote:
we all know that Fernando is probably the one person to bring Ferrari to the top again

It will never happen with Alonso, Kimi was the only driver capable of doing so after schumi! The only other driver capable of doing so on the grid would probably be Vettel

I hate to break it to you but Alonso HELPED Kimi win 07 cause of his behaviour at Macca which probably unsettled Hammy! Kimi had no business winning it that year!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:46 am 

diego wrote:
thehabsonice wrote:
Khazrak134 wrote:
we all know that Fernando is probably the one person to bring Ferrari to the top again

It will never happen with Alonso, Kimi was the only driver capable of doing so after schumi! The only other driver capable of doing so on the grid would probably be Vettel

I hate to break it to you but Alonso HELPED Kimi win 07 cause of his behaviour at Macca which probably unsettled Hammy! Kimi had no business winning it that year!

Do you mean that Raikkonen only won because he isn't the kind of person who would sabotage his team and team mate, and didn't get grid penalties and lose the respect of his team for that and subsequent behaviour, which ultimately cost him the two points he needed to win?
I think that the most deserving driver won it afterall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:15 am 

diego wrote:

What a load of crap. I hate to break it to you but look at the FACTS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Formula_One_seasonThat year Kimi had the most race wins 6, most podiums finishes, collected points in every race he finished and yet had more retirements than Fernando or Lewis. Nobody but Kimi drove those results. To become a world champion you have to beat EVERY driver in the grid including your teammate and Kimi did that in 2007. Simply put - he is just as worthy champion as anybody who wins the WDC in any given year. It is never luck, you have 17-20 race season so that fact only pretty much evens out any "bad luck".

It is pointless to whine about Fernando had to battle Lewis that year...in 17 races FA simply could not produce enough to collect more points to beat his teammate and nor all the others in the grid that year to win the championship that year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 pm 

Alright...?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm 

Well, that didn't end so well. Comments from Domenicali, translated from an article on Tuttosport.com:

"Destiny wasn't our friend, we couldn't have done more, I'm sorry for Fernando because he deserved the title. It hurts to lose like this in the last race, we have to start again right away. This is sport. Did we believe? Anything could have happened in conditions like these."

http://www.tuttosport.com/formula1/ferr ... nicali%3A+«Fernando+meritava».+Lacrime+Massa

No title, but still a season to remember for Fernando, and better than 2010 for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:02 pm 

I am proud to be an Alonso fan after a season like this. We didn't get the outcome we wanted, but we can't fault his performance. He has been nearly flawless all season and has shown everyone, why he's acknowledged to be the best on the grid.

Super stuff. Bring on next year :thumbup:

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:04 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
I am proud to be an Alonso fan after a season like this. We didn't get the outcome we wanted, but we can't fault his performance. He has been nearly flawless all season and has shown everyone, why he's acknowledged to be the best on the grid.

This.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:17 pm 

RunningMan wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:23 pm 

Inappropriate post removed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:34 pm 

3 pages? :lol: Where are the Alonso fans?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm 

diablof1 wrote:

This thread never really takes off. Why ? My theory is that Alonso only has fans but no fanboys/hardcores, and even fans are scarce in this forum. Even when he is absolutely wiping the floor with the rest of the grid you'll rarely see this thread pop up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:08 pm 

callMEcrazy wrote:
diablof1 wrote:

This thread never really takes off. Why ? My theory is that Alonso only has fans but no fanboys/hardcores, and even fans are scarce in this forum. Even when he is absolutely wiping the floor with the rest of the grid you'll rarely see this thread pop up.

We will change this thread so much, that by the end of 2013 we will have more pages than kimi raikkonen thread :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 pm 

awww .. how cute

Alonso ROCKS!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm 

Well, I am an Alonso fan & have been since he first started in F1. I know how good he is so I don't feel the need to go on & on about it unlike some fans :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 pm 

DrG wrote:
Well, I am an Alonso fan & have been since he first started in F1. I know how good he is so I don't feel the need to go on & on about it unlike some fans :D

Thats good. The more fans we have posting the better. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 pm 

Some of the pictures posted in this forum :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm 

I think this may be the most active the Alonso thread has been in a while

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 pm 

I'm expecting Alonso, Massa and Ferrari to come out of the blocks like rabid greyhounds in 2013. I just hope they don't end up stumbling out of the blocks like the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 pm 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104942

Many have hailed Fernando Alonso as the driver of the 2012 Formula 1 season, taking a car that was demonstrably not the fastest to within a few points of the world championship.

His three victories in the Malaysian, European and German Grands Prix helped him to a 40-point lead at one point, but he wasn't quite able to hold off the charging Sebastian Vettel late on.

During the year, Alonso was never anything less than quotable and made very clear the scale of the task that faced him.

Fernando Alonso: 2012 in quotes

"There has been a tendency from the media's point of view to believe that Ferrari is having a bad pre-season, or that the car for some dark reason that we know is a bad one... but apart from a slight delay due to the complexity of the car, we haven't seen the light and we weren't inside any tunnels before."

Responding to being asked if Ferrari is seeing light at the end of the tunnel during pre-season testing

"A big surprise today. I think we were not competitive in Australia and not competitive here and the goal was to score as many points as possible. Today it was 25, so an unbelievable result."

Struggling to believe that he's won in wet/dry conditions in Malaysia

"It's really difficult to express in words what is the feeling at the moment. Winning the home grand prix is something unique, a very special feeling. I had the opportunity in Barcelona in 2006 with Renault and I still remember that moment perfectly. But now I had opportunity with Ferrari, with the grandstands full of red colours. I'm feeling very proud, and winning this race in Spain is probably the best victory I ever felt in terms of emotions. Nothing can compare to this one."

Struggling for what to say after winning the European Grand Prix in Valencia from 11th on the grid

"To increase the lead in the championship up to 40 points is something that we didn't expect. We go into the summer break with points in the pocket that maybe we are surprised to have."

Admitting his surprise to be leading the championship comfortably heading into the August break

"I'm lucky that I can be in the car in five days at Monza because looking at the image, we were turning in so you could have a problem with your hands or even your head because [Grosjean's] car was so close. I think we broke everything on top of the car. It was lucky in that respect."

Escaping injury in the Romain Grosjean-inspired Spa first corner shunt

"In 2010, they [Red Bull] were more than one second faster than us and we were leading the championship in Abu Dhabi. Now they are eight tenths to one second faster than us and we are leading the championship. Let's say we are used to this situation, to be one second slower than our competitors and fight for the championship."

Accepting that he will be playing catch-up on track in the closing stages of the season

"I had no space. On the right, I had [Jenson] Button and on my left, I had Kimi [Raikkonen]. I don't understand why Kimi didn't lift off or anything because there was not any room. I don't know what Kimi's idea was for the first corner, but that is the way it is and this time it was bad luck for us."

Blaming Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen for their first-corner collision at Suzuka

"At the moment we are not fighting against Sebastian only. We are also fighting against [Adrian] Newey let's say."

Highlighting Red Bull's trump card in the world championship fight

"I remain 100 per cent confident we will fight for the championship and we will win it."

Keeping the faith as the title scrap tightens

"You just have the feeling that some years you have done a good job and others when you feel there was something missing or something you wanted to change or want to improve for next year. I think it's been a perfect year. It's going to be nearly impossible to repeat that in my career."

Last edited by diablof1 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
I'm expecting Alonso, Massa and Ferrari to come out of the blocks like rabid greyhounds in 2013. I just hope they don't end up stumbling out of the blocks like the past couple of years.

I'm abit sceptical about Ferrari's 2013 car to be honest. With no major rule changes. The car will be mostly an evoloution of this years car. Which clearly wasn't quite up to it at the tail end of the season. I think that If Ferrari had an answer and an idea to make the car faster, they would have done it at the end of last year. Instead of seemingly throwing random bits and pieces at the car. I think it's a problem with the fundamental car design thats hindering it.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

I'm abit sceptical about Ferrari's 2013 car to be honest. With no major rule changes. The car will be mostly an evoloution of this years car. Which clearly wasn't quite up to it at the tail end of the season. I think that If Ferrari had an answer and an idea to make the car faster, they would have done it at the end of last year. Instead of seemingly throwing random bits and pieces at the car. I think it's a problem with the fundamental car design thats hindering it.

I think their main problem was qualifying, where their DRS was ineffective, whereas their race pace later on wasn't nearly as bad as has been made out by some. Afterall, the team had the most podiums of the year I think. Massa was driving like a man posessed at the end of the year. The car was a vast improvement towards the end, and although still just behind McLaren and Red Bull, I think even slight improvements and Alonso's tenacity could put them in better stead for 2013. That and a resurgent Massa might light a fire under Alonso's donkey to push him even harder (not that I think he can do much better than his incredible effort in 2012). If they can sort qualifying out, their starts are the best on the grid, and both Alonso and Massa have good race craft and can make the cars the widest on the grid at times.

Its farfetched, but I'm hoping for an Alonso Ferrari vs. Hamilton Mercedes vs. Button McLaren vs. vs. Raikonnen Lotus vs. Vettel Red Bull fight, with all the teams on top of their game. I can see it being Vettel vs. Alonso though, in which case I'll be rooting for Alonso and Ferrari to pull it off.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

I think their main problem was qualifying, where their DRS was ineffective, whereas their race pace later on wasn't nearly as bad as has been made out by some. Afterall, the team had the most podiums of the year I think. Massa was driving like a man posessed at the end of the year. The car was a vast improvement towards the end, and although still just behind McLaren and Red Bull, I think even slight improvements and Alonso's tenacity could put them in better stead for 2013. That and a resurgent Massa might light a fire under Alonso's donkey to push him even harder (not that I think he can do much better than his incredible effort in 2012). If they can sort qualifying out, their starts are the best on the grid, and both Alonso and Massa have good race craft and can make the cars the widest on the grid at times.

Its farfetched, but I'm hoping for an Alonso Ferrari vs. Hamilton Mercedes vs. Button McLaren vs. vs. Raikonnen Lotus vs. Vettel Red Bull fight, with all the teams on top of their game. I can see it being Vettel vs. Alonso though, in which case I'll be rooting for Alonso and Ferrari to pull it off.

They're changing the DRS rules which should help limit the damage of their ineffective DRS. It depends, if the season is scrappy like the one we just had. Then I think Alonso will definetly be up there

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

They're changing the DRS rules which should help limit the damage of their ineffective DRS. It depends, if the season is scrappy like the one we just had. Then I think Alonso will definetly be up there

The DRS rule change is what I'm hoping will help their qualifying to be honest. Depends just how much they were being let down by it, and how much the other teams will be affected.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 pm 

jammin78 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:
RunningMan wrote:
jammin78 wrote:

The DRS rule change is what I'm hoping will help their qualifying to be honest. Depends just how much they were being let down by it, and how much the other teams will be affected.

I'd like to see a decent Ferrari start to be honest. Get some podiums in the first few flyaways.

Forza Alonso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:57 pm 

diablof1 wrote:
Fernando Alonso: 2012 in quotes

Unless you wrote that yourself you shouldn't post (almost?) complete articles, at least not without giving any credit to the author. Just a heads up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:37 pm 

RunningMan wrote:
It depends, if the season is scrappy like the one we just had. Then I think Alonso will definetly be up there

This is the way I'm thinking too.

I think Ferrari were closer to the front at the start of 2011 than they were in 2012.
But 2011 was so straightforward that they hadn't a hope.

If the teams are close again (which I highly doubt) and if Pirelli through more spanners in the works, then Ferrari should be much closer at the start of 2013. I can't possibly imagine they'll be as far away at the start of this year as they were in 2012.

#14 for '14