planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:37 pm 

The other day I had an argument with a friend of mine who is also into F1 and he HATES Hamilton cause he started his career with a "good" team like Macca 07 instead of a "building" team where SUPPOSEDLY all drivers should start their careers in order to supposedly "pay their dues". Personally I don't see the big deal. If a good team sees raw talent in someone, why should the driver turn them down I don't get it. Where is there an unwritten rule about all drivers must work their way up the ranks and DESERVE a drive with a great team? Any insights on this people cause I am baffled by his hatred.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm 

yawn :uhoh:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm 

slide wrote:
yawn :uhoh:

Wow! Thanks for all your great points there. :thumbdown:

ANYWAY ... anyone else feel Hamilton should not have started his career with a great team? If so, why? And why is he to be blamed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:50 pm 

People don't like change, it seems.

Traditionally, the top teams didn't really pay any attention to drivers trying to make their way into F1, and only assessing them once a lower team has 'given them a break'. I even suspect that the lower teams looked to 'sell' their finds if a bigger team came calling...

Recently, there has been a change in the way top teams look for future talent, meaning that rookies are placed directly in the spotlight. This would seem a risk, until you realise that the team has taken the prospective driver into their fold long before they make it to F1. Not all teams follow the McLaren route though, and don't really provide the support other than sponsorship (a big thing, I admit).

This has led to the recent perception that there has been a number of high profile driver sackings/banishments by teams trying to 'find the next Vettel' as it were, and casting out those who don't immediately grab attention within a matter of races. High turnover of drivers has always been a part of F1, but this was classically in the backmarkers, usually involved sponsorship (or lack of it!) and with little media interest. Nowadays, it's a whole different kettle of fish. People should move with the times...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:51 pm 

I agree that it's not a big deal. In fact, part of the reason why I think this is Lewis' performance that season. He showed he deserved to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 pm 

Well...yeah. I do feel that maybe it was better for him to start low and gradually arrive to the front teams. This way the problem of starting 12...14...contact...flat tire...accident...would have been taken and solved from the F1 career start and maybe he would have avoided the gaps he is facing now. You know, maybe he would have been mentally stronger.

Of course, nobody's forcing the front teams to choose whoever driver they want. Hell, if McLaren wants to race with Charles Pic and with Magnussen's son, that's their call. But, I guess, drivers are like grapes, maybe you gotta let them ripe a little before picking them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 pm 

ATM2 wrote:
Well...yeah. I do feel that maybe it was better for him to start low and gradually arrive to the front teams. This way the problem of starting 12...14...contact...flat tire...accident...would have been taken and solved from the F1 career start and maybe he would have avoided the gaps he is facing now. You know, maybe he would have been mentally stronger.

Of course, nobody's forcing the front teams to choose whoever driver they want. Hell, if McLaren wants to race with Charles Pic and with Magnussen's son, that's their call. But, I guess, drivers are like grapes, maybe you gotta let them ripe a little before picking them.

Mclaren did the right thing, but most importantly did a nice thing by giving Lewis a chance! Its just amazing to get to do that, so many racing drivers dream about driving in F1, RD saw potential in him, gave him a chance, and it paid off, agree that he could have done much better, but it is what it is, let's hope that this year is a wonderful year for everyone, not a one way street! Lewis was so impessive on his way to F1, and that what Ron saw in him I suppose! It make sense, I would have done the same
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:42 pm 

Just wondering. May it depend on whose fans certain people are? I mean, lets say you are supporting jenson button all the way. He has showed same great potential back in debut or 2004 and then is stuck in hopeless honda for two years. Then came same rookie and took potentially great sit, which in your percepion is just not right thing to do. Simply because there's more expierienced driver, who already have proved his worth. So you thinking why the hell they are doing such nonsense by taking this kid. Thats how spark of hate is born.

Button is not perfect, random example, but who knows what would happen with him if not 2009 brown was just as useless as previous Honda's. It could be his career ending season, and one can say it was because of strange politics of giving a shot to rookies.

With Ham it worked out very well, but I personally think it indeed was strange move from McLaren. Imagine that next year Ferrari or Redbull signs some rookie with no experience in F1 at all, just like Ham in 2007. I just cant see it happening.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm 

I doubt there's going to be one move like this in the near future. Nowadays all teams have connection/streaks, they're not only one team but a chain of connections and steps - RedBull are growing their youngsters right in the heart of F1, Ferrari protegees might stand a first chance in a lower- satellite team (i.e. Sauber), even McLaren have started some technical agreement with Marussia which might turn the aforementioned back-markers into a proving ground...Mercedes made the same thing with Di Resta's career... it's really more difficult now to get a top seat directly than it ever was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:09 pm 

I could get it if he had bought the seat, but the guy showed he was supremely talented in all the junior formula he raced in.

Then when dropped into the 2007 McLaren against a driver whom I say is the best in the world, and even his detractors must admit he is one of the best ever. And he beat him. Hamilton beat Alonso. Even if you consider the lack of points difference to be a technicality or whatever, he still matched Alonso. (Note, despite this I still think FA represents a superior driver).

So while I could understand people thinking that in early 2007 before he raced, I think LH has shown he was worth McLaren taking a punt on him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm 

I don't know that's so much that he started in a top team.

For me it's that his more effusive fans will boast that other "greats" in the sport didn't achieve as much in their first so and so many years, not taking into account that the drivers he's being compared to spent their first couple of years in less capable cars. Then in the next breath say that we won't know the true extent of Vettels abilities until we see him an car that isn't 7 seconds a lap faster than every one else. While ignoring that first season and a half in cars that were much worse than the "dog of a car" that McLaren produced in 2009.

Although it may sound as if I have something against Hamilton, I really don't. He's not one of my favorites, but I don't disregard him or his talents either. It's just that "some" of his fans come across a bit too aggressive in his defense, and act as if anyone else being successful takes away from Hamiltons glory.

Ok, rant over. Don't mean to sound as offensive toward Hamilton fans as it sounds, but some of them do get my hackles up. I'm not even a Vettel fan in particular.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:12 pm 
Mclaren is of course a top team, no doubt. But they didn't win a race in 2006 so it was not as if he was offered a drive in a 2012 Red Bull.

Jenson Button walked into a very good drive at a very young age - in 2000 Ralf Schumacher was always around the top 3 at every race.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:33 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
I don't know that's so much that he started in a top team.

For me it's that his more effusive fans will boast that other "greats" in the sport didn't achieve as much in their first so and so many years, not taking into account that the drivers he's being compared to spent their first couple of years in less capable cars. Then in the next breath say that we won't know the true extent of Vettels abilities until we see him an car that isn't 7 seconds a lap faster than every one else. While ignoring that first season and a half in cars that were much worse than the "dog of a car" that McLaren produced in 2009.

Although it may sound as if I have something against Hamilton, I really don't. He's not one of my favorites, but I don't disregard him or his talents either. It's just that "some" of his fans come across a bit too aggressive in his defense, and act as if anyone else being successful takes away from Hamiltons glory.

Ok, rant over. Don't mean to sound as offensive toward Hamilton fans as it sounds, but some of them do get my hackles up. I'm not even a Vettel fan in particular.

I agree with the whole post except this line. For the first half of 2009 the Mclaren definitely worse than the 2008 Toro Rosso.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 am 

It's a history, it's how it happened. Hamilton fans would always ask what's wrong with that, and those that are not fond of him would point to path of others... and it will happen all over again as long as Hamilton is in F1. I see no point in discussion. It was Team Mclaren's good foresight to take care of development of Hamilton, and it was a huge success. Hamilton is a TOP driver and all those years when Hamilton was their protegee, have paid off. It was a clever move to single him out of those tents and perhaps even hundreds of talents.

I know not did other teams have similar relation to lower series drivers, and since when such program takes place. But, I know Ferrari does but dunno to which extent. Bianchi is reportedly under their care.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:28 am 

Hamilton made ALOT of mistakes in 2007/2008 and still does. Which means he hasnt learnt to drive yet still. He should have started off in team similar to Sauber (2001), Minardi (2001) or Jordan (1992). He would have learned there how to drive, instead of for example hitting the car infront on pit lane when light is red. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 am 

Tumppi57 wrote:
Hamilton made ALOT of mistakes in 2007/2008 and still does. Which means he hasnt learnt to drive yet still. He should have started off in team similar to Sauber (2001), Minardi (2001) or Jordan (1992). He would have learned there how to drive, instead of for example hitting the car infront on pit lane when light is red. :evil:

Okay, this has to be a wind up but just to clarify.

- Hamilton won a WDC in his second F1 season and could easily have won the first. The start of his career wasn't that bad.
- He would still have made mistakes in a lesser team, they just wouldn't have been as high profile. Massa crashed into anything out there when he was learning at Sauber.
- There really weren't many better options out there. Schumacher retired, Kimi left, Montoya went to NASCAR, Button and Rubens probably had decent hopes at Honda and Alonso was already signed up. Webber was about the only decent option out there, but he (quite rightly) had high hopes of Newey/RBR.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:02 am 

Tumppi57 wrote:

What was it nine podiums in the first nine races or something. Did all those mistakes at the beginning of his F1 career wipe out everyone outside the top 3??

Jordan '92. do you mean Jordan '91?? Less than one lap is hardly cutting your teeth and learning to drive in the lower echelons.

The way I see it. Lewis was the first of a new breed. Rather than have to work through the levels fighting their way. almost pimping themselves out to get noticed by the top of F1. He was selected at a young age. I would liken it to football teams who sign kids at 5 and put them through their academies these days. If they showed promise they stay contracted. Some get loaned out some get put into the first team. Some get dropped and end up in the SPL.

Vettel is of the same mould. Except he got loaned out and then put into the reserves before hitting the champions league squad. Luizzi, Speed, Bourdouis got dropped and ended up in the SPL. Buemi moved on to the first team reserves.

Bianchi, Perez are all part of this new generation. It's new and they don't know what they are doing there is no "Proper" way yet . Whitmarsh has already stated they made mistakes with the way they brought Lewis up. Mistakes they will learn from .

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:21 am 

Honestly I don't know. Yes he jumped straight into a seat at a top team, but not as the number 1 driver. At the start of 2007, McLaren knew that they had the world's best driver, so they were willing to take a gamble on a rookie as his number 2. The fact that Lewis then unsettled Alonso by performing rather well was entirely his own doing - he earned himself the role as McLaren's lead driver for 2008. Lewis didn't luck into a top drive; he earned it on merit by performing so well in his debut season. Starting his career by being paired with Alonso was not in any way fortunate: just look at what happened to Piquet Jr. and Grosjean.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:08 am 

any chance your friend is an alonso fan diego? :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:43 am 
Some fans just find it hard to accept something that doesn't fit their concept of how the universe is supposed to work. They just dig up some stipulation that "so and so has to do this before I can accept that he's as good as some claim". I saw it when Jeff Gordon entered NASCAR and demolished the record books. Many of his detractors insisted that he would never be accepted until he had a really bad crash. It's the same with Vettel, many insist he has to race under certain circumstances before they accept just how good he is. And it's for Hamilton too, some fans seek ways to devalue a great driver.

It's just petty jealousy tinged by a reflex defensive measure to protect the driver they root for.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:38 am 

Your friend is racist! 8O
He doesn't like fast rookie racers :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:11 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
It's just petty jealousy tinged by a reflex defensive measure to protect the driver they root for.

While I agree with you, I don't necessarily think that that is the wrong approach. Having done quite a bit of carting in my earlier days, I know that even in the lower categories money is king. Some kids can afford to get brand new tyres to every event, do full rebuilds between events, have an actual payed mechanic, pay for private track time to practice. It is all a HUGE advantage. When you know that if you put it in the wall or break something in contact with someone else there is no safety net, that you, your brother and your dad will be the ones who have to get new parts and put hours in garage, it makes it really hard to get aggressive on track, to push to 11/10 to get those last few tenths.

You can then imagine that when someone else gets a huge break and they can focus on just driving, when they just get fast tracked through categories with the best equipment and resources available, that is will cause others to resent him. It is the nature of the sport though. You don't need to be the best, you just have to have enough resources to get ahead of those around you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 am 

BlackSG5 wrote:

BIG TIME Alonso fan! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 am 

I remember it annoyed the hell out of me as I was waiting very patiently for Webber to be given a chance at a top drive, and some rookie was given it straight up. Many a fist shake was had. In hindsight, even if Lewis turned out to be rubbish, if a team that spends 100's of millions every year chooses to put a rookie in their spare seat, they sure as hell have their reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 am 

Well Macca had just got Alonso so they were in a good position to take a risk. That's what they did and it paid off. The whole notion of paying your dues in a lower team is an antiquated one and by that logic, we'll be hating a lot of drivers in the coming years.

Lewis hate is just Lewis hate. He had a small band of haters in 07, 08 made it a lot worse and he's been stuck with that since.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:18 am 

Hamilton definitely deserved that seat at McLaren and drove superbly-I still think 2007 was his best season-but I'm sure I was not alone in having mates suddenly take an interest in F1. That was fine, what was annoying was when they talked about Hamilton in Messianic terms, without having watched the sport to that point...they had no context, no comparison.

For anybody who was a long time fan of Button, Heidfeld, Webber, even Alonso, such comments couldn't help but cause at least a little irritation. Others lost their temper completely. Though many of the fans who spoke in Messianic terms of Hamilton as a champion elect before China didn't heed the lessons of past seasons, that one small mistake can change everything because, well, they hadn't seen that happen.

I definitely noticed a huge change in attitudes in F1 forums after Hamilton arrived, 2007 was the first time I saw the word "fanboy." Some have put it down to racism, but from what I read, I, for the most part, saw arguments between OP's new to the sport who acted like they knew it all, and long time posters who had been watching the sport since they knew how to walk.

There were many others who would effectively reply along the lines of "Senna? Prost? Please tell me more." They would watch a YouTube video and in the space of 15 minutes realise there was a world outside of Hamilton, those fans became great and passionate forum members.

The ones that received abuse were the ones who could not conceive of an F1 before Hamilton arrived, they had no appreciation of the history of the sport, of the many different situations a driver can be in, such as clawing his way to the front of the grid from the back of the grid.

Personally, I can separate a driver and his fans, but there are some that can't. Just look at the online vitriol directed at Alonso when Hamilton was racially abused by Spanish fans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 am 

diego wrote:
BlackSG5 wrote:

BIG TIME Alonso fan! :lol:

i guess you've got your answer right there! :lol:

to answer the quesion, whatever people might say or view it, i think lewis did justify ron's decision to give him the seat. i mean didn't he give a double world champion some grief?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:23 am 

Hamilton is good and doesn't need to prove himself driving for lesser teams, but he could have learned something from starting at the bottom. I've always felt he lacked humility, especially during his first years.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 am 

Tumppi57 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:40 am 

One thing to remember as well is that most of the really top line drivers get picked up before GP2/F3000. Just from the top of my head I think He is actually the only champion to come from that level. Mclaren made him go through all the rungs of the ladder, not letting him move on until he had one the championship. So he did really serve his aprentiship, it just wasn't in F1.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:42 am 

K__rr wrote:
Just wondering. May it depend on whose fans certain people are? I mean, lets say you are supporting jenson button all the way. He has showed same great potential back in debut or 2004 and then is stuck in hopeless honda for two years. Then came same rookie and took potentially great sit, which in your percepion is just not right thing to do. Simply because there's more expierienced driver, who already have proved his worth. So you thinking why the hell they are doing such nonsense by taking this kid. Thats how spark of hate is born.

Button is not perfect, random example, but who knows what would happen with him if not 2009 brown was just as useless as previous Honda's. It could be his career ending season, and one can say it was because of strange politics of giving a shot to rookies.

With Ham it worked out very well, but I personally think it indeed was strange move from McLaren. Imagine that next year Ferrari or Redbull signs some rookie with no experience in F1 at all, just like Ham in 2007. I just cant see it happening.

Not really sure I follow.

Button on his debut went to a top team (Williams).

After two very mediocre years at a uncompetitive Benetton / Renault (he still out scored Trulli BTW) he went to BAR in which he was teamed with 1997 World Champion, Jaques Veilleneuve, whom Jenson beat. 2004 was a true reflection of Jenson's abillities but unfortunately for both Jenson and BAR-Honda as they were that year, the Ferrari was a second quicker than everyone else.

2005 was a solid but uninspiring year with an average car and the politics of Dave Richards ousting hanging over the team, and Honda looking to buy-in to a Formula 1 team, BAR-Honda being the obvious choice.

In 2006, BAR-Honda became the Honda full works team, and after a slow start, Jenson had one of the best second half of a season of his career, and also took his maiden victory in Hungary.

2007 was actually solid from Jenson, he had some great drives, the car just sucked.

2008 isn't even worth mentioning.

2009, this is where I don't see your point. 'Button is not perfect, random example, but who knows what would happen with him if not 2009 brown was just as useless as previous Honda's.'

If and but's. What if the 2004 BAR-Honda wasn't 1 second slower than the Ferrari? What if the 2006 Honda was a race winning car?

The fact of the matter with Button, and with Formula 1 in general, it doesn't matter whom you're with generally when it comes to the larger teams, it's about being in the right place at the right time, and then taking full advantage. What if Hamilton made his debut two years later inthe 2009 McLaren?

Jenson's first crack at a WDC when he was finally given a race winning car and he took it with open arms. Hamilton almost did it in his debut year and probably would have if he wasn't paired with Alonso, so that very point reflects that Hamilton fully deserved his debut in a McLaren.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:45 am 

petef1 wrote:
K__rr wrote:

Button on his debut went to a top team (Williams).

After two very mediocre years at a uncompetitive Benetton / Renault (he still out scored Trulli BTW) he went to BAR in which he was teamed with 1997 World Champion, Jaques Veilleneuve, whom Jenson beat. 2004 was a true reflection of Jenson's abillities but unfortunately for both Jenson and BAR-Honda as they were that year, the Ferrari was a second quicker than everyone else.

2005 was a solid but uninspiring year with an average car and the politics of Dave Richards ousting hanging over the team, and Honda looking to buy-in to a Formula 1 team, BAR-Honda being the obvious choice.

In 2006, BAR-Honda became the Honda full works team, and after a slow start, Jenson had one of the best second half of a season of his career, and also took his maiden victory in Hungary.

2007 was actually solid from Jenson, he had some great drives, the car just sucked.

2008 isn't even worth mentioning.

2009, this is where I don't see your point. 'Button is not perfect, random example, but who knows what would happen with him if not 2009 brown was just as useless as previous Honda's.'

If and but's. What if the 2004 BAR-Honda wasn't 1 second slower than the Ferrari? What if the 2006 Honda was a race winning car?

The fact of the matter with Button, and with Formula 1 in general, it doesn't matter whom you're with generally when it comes to the larger teams, it's about being in the right place at the right time, and then taking full advantage. What if Hamilton made his debut two years later inthe 2009 McLaren?

Jenson's first crack at a WDC when he was finally given a race winning car and he took it with open arms. Hamilton almost did it in his debut year and probably would have if he wasn't paired with Alonso, so that very point reflects that Hamilton fully deserved his debut in a McLaren.

Jenson in the first half of 2009 (when the car was good) was more dominant than Vettel was in all of last year. And people still claim Jenson is not a top driver... :lol:

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:24 am 

I think he was lucky that he got the spot. I would guess that those that "hate" him are thinking that he was lucky. It's not that he does not have his merits and talents, but we all know there is a lot of talent that get's lost in the process and only a few make it to the top - this works for all kind of things, not just F1.
But I also think he is one example of how some teams try to set themselves up for very long relationships with the drivers that also ensure stability for the team. It's what Macca and Merc are doing, with supporting very young drivers trough the first stages of their career. So I think we should get used to this for the future also.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:00 am 

petef1 wrote:

Whole thing with Button was just he was example of expierienced, proven, still pretty young driver, potentially avaliable for this Maclaren sit. And his loyal fans could be angry with Hamilton, pointing out he did not deserve this sit at first place since there was Jenson waiting for top drive. No need to analyse his career here.

And don't get me wrong, its not my point of view. I was simply trying to guess why someone would hate Hamilton for where he started his F1 adventure. Just theory which crossed my mind. Not necessary true.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 am 

Did he get a job with McLaren and hire himself? No.

Has he been successful and won a world championship, thus paying back in full the investment that McLaren made in him? Yes.

Your friend's point? I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:23 am 

He was lucky to get the drive, at the start of 2006, Macca had 3 drivers signed up. Kimi, Juan and Fernando. I think part of the decision was that after two of them left, they knew that Alonso would be fine, so why not give the second seat their talented rookie and see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:29 am 

I felt that it may have been beneficial for him to have done a year in a smaller team. Though I have to admit that Mclaren probably know better than me!

The only thing that really bothered me was the sudden and obsessive coverage of his every move by ITV.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:40 am 

I can see the problem with Hamilton starting at a top team is where does he go after? He's only been in a top team so, if he does not get a contract renewal, where does he go and will he be able to race as well

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:45 am 

K__rr wrote:
petef1 wrote:

Whole thing with Button was just he was example of expierienced, proven, still pretty young driver, potentially avaliable for this Maclaren sit. And his loyal fans could be angry with Hamilton, pointing out he did not deserve this sit at first place since there was Jenson waiting for top drive. No need to analyse his career here.

And don't get me wrong, its not my point of view. I was simply trying to guess why someone would hate Hamilton for where he started his F1 adventure. Just theory which crossed my mind. Not necessary true.

Williams, although in a downward spiral, were still considered one of the top teams when Jenson joined, so not sure I agree with you there. Villeneueve, Hill and Coulthard all walked into WDC contending teams; all at Willilams incidentally.

Jenson did have a top drive. Honda had the second biggest budget in Formula 1. As I mentionedd earlier, it's all about being with the right team and the right time. And after years of Honda blowing millions on two useless incarnations, they finally got it right which would have been the RA109, now forever known in history as the championship winning Brawn Mercedes BGP01.

Hamilton got a McLaren seat because he was funder by McLaren in the early years, he was developing as they had hoped and his talents and abilities rewarding him with a rookie seat.

There was no guarantee McLaren were going to have a WDC/WCC contending car. McLaren haven't won the WCC since 1998 and have only one WDC in Hamilton since Hakkinen last won in 1999.

Last edited by petef1 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am 

amirb wrote:
I can see the problem with Hamilton starting at a top team is where does he go after? He's only been in a top team so, if he does not get a contract renewal, where does he go and will he be able to race as well

That'll depend entirely on his performances as to whether other top teams would be interested in offering him a seat. Until the start of this season, Red bull has been the most successful team for two/three years, so there are teams that can offer the potential to win races/championships other than McLaren...